The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jough on April 23, 2006, 01:20:00 am

Title: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 01:20:00 am
(http://jough.com/images/Vegas-April2006-FreedomFries.jpg)
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on April 23, 2006, 01:36:23 am
It's not just that I'm sure.  There's gotta be a little sting every time we put some crappy sausage patty at a fast food joint on a Croissant.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2006, 01:48:13 am
There's gotta be a little sting every time we put some crappy sausage patty at a fast food joint on a Croissant.

Funny, I feel sorry for the sausage.  Croisanwich, worst idea ever!

~Paul
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: robot_god on April 23, 2006, 02:12:07 am
Sausage and cheese on a Dunkin Donuts croissant is pretty unstoppable, if you ask me.  Give or take egg.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: miles on April 23, 2006, 03:54:39 am
Weren't they Belgian to begin with, anyway?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 23, 2006, 04:38:44 am
What is up with this guy?

http://www.fuckfrance.com/ (http://www.fuckfrance.com/)

Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 04:40:15 am
I don't know, but this has to be another reason to hate the U.S.:

(http://jough.com/images/Vegas-April2006-ParisCasino.jpg)

Also, Motorola cameraphones are pretty hateful.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 23, 2006, 04:49:34 am
(http://boortz.com/images/funny/tour_de_france_banner.jpg)

I blame Lance Armstrong.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Doc on April 23, 2006, 11:47:39 am
Looking at that those things I can only assume that france would consider it a favour to no longer be associated with such abuse of the common potatoe.
I don't know though, do the french really hate the US that much? I always just thought the US hated france and so assumed (as they are apt to do with all their enemies, real and assumed) that the feeling is mutual.
The whole US-France thing always conused me anyway, from my superficial knowledge of the two nations histories' you would think they would have more in common than most other countries, they could at least team up and hate the english together.

More towards topic: Freedom fries are the stupidest goddamn idea ever, but you knew that, they seem to me indicative of this general tendency to believe that words are more important than actions.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on April 23, 2006, 12:07:06 pm
Having been to France almost every year for the past decade, it is easy to see they generally dislike people not from the continent. Most seem to tolerate my French-speaking family, despite us being British, but I have seen on more than one occasion Americans being thrown out of restaurants, being given the finger by youths and one poor soul even got knocked off his bicycle by a car.

On every such instance, the unfortunate tourists were wearing either a baseball cap, T shirt or shorts emblazoned with the stars and stripes, or a I <3 New York type thing. All other Americans were okay in their fairly generic clothing. Of course, they could have just been Canadians. I can't distinguish accents.

In conclusion:
Judy's tips on how to survive in France

1. Don't excessively show off which country you come from. People will think you are a dick.
2. Learn to speak the bloody language.
3. DO NOT GO INTO A TRADITIONAL FRENCH RESTAURANT AND ASK THEM TO MAKE YOU A TRIPLE HAMBURGER IN ENGLISH VERY LOUDLY. (Yes, I saw this happen.)
4. Much like this board, French people may appear hostile, but be nice and they will accept you. Maybe.

So, back on topic, I blame tourists for France's negative perception of the U.S. Toodle pip.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 23, 2006, 12:40:18 pm
Quote
Don't excessively show off which country you come from. People will think you are a dick.

People will be right. 
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 03:50:18 pm
The French are also pretty racist and nationalist, though.  They fear losing their national identity, since everything they experience in culture comes from somewhere else.  They listen to American and British music, they watch American film and television, they're even wearing fashions out of New York. 

Also, Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

Anyway, I wasn't really remarking on why the Parisians hate the U.S. as much as I was marvelling at what "France" means to the American Culture, which is completely distilled in the Caesars "Paris" Casino (http://www.caesars.com/paris/lasvegas/) (as seen above).

It's like making a papier-mâché pu$$y and titling it "Paris Hilton."
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on April 23, 2006, 03:59:56 pm
Also, Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

My personal experience does not corroborate. We almost always stay in Provence (very rural south of France. Education.) and they are pretty much worse than the Parisians. There is, like you mentioned, a lot of fear about national identity: down South there are a LOT of second homes for greedy English people.

As to asshole-ishness, it is of course all down to one's own experiences, so I will say no more.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 23, 2006, 04:00:57 pm
Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

I went to Nice from Paris a few years back and found the people there to be infinitely more personable than their Parisian counterparts.  The first bar I walked into even had a sign over the door that read "Welcome to Our Liberators".  I was all, "Hells yes!  You sort of mean me!"
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 04:03:51 pm
Yeah, I really like the French, but I'm also very much white.  If you don't look white, or even if you don't look French, you'll find that you're treated much differently there.  Racism in France now is like racism was in the U.S. around 1950.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 23, 2006, 06:48:06 pm
Yeah, I really like the French, but I'm also very much white.  If you don't look white, or even if you don't look French, you'll find that you're treated much differently there.  Racism in France now is like racism was in the U.S. around 1950.

Ahhh, the good ol' days.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2006, 07:36:16 pm

It's like making a papier-mâché pu$$y and titling it "Paris Hilton."


I really must thank you for this bright spot on an otherwise gloomy day, despite the apparently pointlessness of giving tiny cans to the source of all tiny cans.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Mantonio on April 24, 2006, 05:07:49 pm
It's like making a papier-mâché pu$$y and titling it "Paris Hilton."

Wait, there's a difference?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: CortJstr on April 24, 2006, 05:52:20 pm
Man, Jough's picture made me so mad that I couldn't finish my Rose of the Prophet Muhammad at breakfast and I don't think I'll be in the mood for liberty cabbage tonight at dinner.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 24, 2006, 06:06:16 pm
It actually may not matter for much longer. France may have real problems with avoiding becoming an Arabic-speaking country if they don't take a hard look at their immigration policies and how they treat their (presently) immigrant minorities (which are outbreeding them). Also, the French economy will be worthless in two generations if they allow 22 year old people employment for life. That amounts to universal welfare, and who's going to pay for it?

I predict they will need to be liberated again within 50 years unless some really major changes occur soon.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: lprkn on April 25, 2006, 01:16:16 am
Hey man, it's France. They switch governments every few decades or so, anyway.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 29, 2006, 04:54:46 pm
(http://superfrenchie.com/wp-images/posts-imgs/subway_france2.jpg)

I am sure that the French do not appreciate being mocked by American fast food.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: lprkn on April 30, 2006, 07:45:46 pm
Subway needs to make a commercial where Jared punches a Frenchman in heart so hard he dies.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: side_show on May 01, 2006, 04:21:30 am
(http://superfrenchie.com/wp-images/posts-imgs/subway_france2.jpg)

I am sure that the French do not appreciate being mocked by American fast food.

Holy shit... this is a joke right?  This isn't a really ad is it?  Is it?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: jough on May 01, 2006, 02:28:11 pm
I don't know.  I've always known French women to surrender to American men.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Doc on May 02, 2006, 11:54:02 pm
I've never got the whole 'Haha the french surrender' thing anyway. I mean (and correct me on any of this, my history is scratchy at times), Poland surrendered, Italy sided with the Nazi's but what we always hear about from the american media is how France are such pussies because they surrendered, which is pretty harsh coming from the country that (as far as I am aware) didn't have an enemy foot touch it's soil during the war (Pearl harbour was planes... and bombs and torpedoes and such, but not feet. Well maybe when the planes got blown up some dismembered feet...). I mean it's pretty easy to be all macho about it when there is a goddamn ocean between you and the other guys.

That said I come from the country that had plans to fall back and surrender the top half to the Japanese, so maybe I'm just sympathising with the chickens here.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 03, 2006, 12:08:12 am
I've never got the whole 'Haha the french surrender' thing anyway. I mean (and correct me on any of this, my history is scratchy at times), Poland surrendered, Italy sided with the Nazi's but what we always hear about from the american media is how France are such pussies because they surrendered, which is pretty harsh coming from the country that (as far as I am aware) didn't have an enemy foot touch it's soil during the war (Pearl harbour was planes... and bombs and torpedoes and such, but not feet. Well maybe when the planes got blown up some dismembered feet...). I mean it's pretty easy to be all macho about it when there is a goddamn ocean between you and the other guys.

That said I come from the country that had plans to fall back and surrender the top half to the Japanese, so maybe I'm just sympathising with the chickens here.

The Italians lost a war to Ethiopia. They suck.

Poland suffered a blitzkrieg and fought before surrendering. The French (government) surrendered to HARSH LANGUAGE. There was no attack and no fight except for the few brave Resistance fighters. They (the French Government)  basically held the door and gave complimentary rim to the Nazis so that the Nazis wouldn't break anything. And they helped the Nazis round up Jews and Gypsies and Gays and whoever else the Nazis got the red ass about at the time. They fed, housed and protected the military of one of the greatest evils in history.

No Fight + Collaboration in utter evil pretty much seals it for me. I have trouble respecting the actions of France in WWII and I still think they have a lot to account for, especially to Jews.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 03, 2006, 12:35:59 am
I always just assumed it was because the multinational corporation model that the United States created will eventually wreck their really sweet semi-socialized set-up over there where all healthcare's free, you can't get fired from anything, you work 32 hours a week 40 weeks a year and retire at 50-ish to eat cheese, drink wine and pretend to like soccer.

I wouldn't want that sort of excellent ride ruined either.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2006, 12:50:17 am
"we want to give you a job for life, and let you retire at 50. But do you know who's stopping us? Arabs."
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 08, 2006, 10:40:30 pm
The Italians lost a war to Ethiopia. They suck.

Poland suffered a blitzkrieg and fought before surrendering. The French (government) surrendered to HARSH LANGUAGE. There was no attack and no fight except for the few brave Resistance fighters. They (the French Government)  basically held the door and gave complimentary rim to the Nazis so that the Nazis wouldn't break anything. And they helped the Nazis round up Jews and Gypsies and Gays and whoever else the Nazis got the red ass about at the time. They fed, housed and protected the military of one of the greatest evils in history.

No Fight + Collaboration in utter evil pretty much seals it for me. I have trouble respecting the actions of France in WWII and I still think they have a lot to account for, especially to Jews.

Funny how the French always seem to get a tougher deal out of the whole World War thing than the Italians and the Japanese...

Oh, and the British who slaughtered tens of thousands of civilians in German city raids. In fact, you might say that the French were one of the few nations that really did very little killing.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 08, 2006, 10:56:16 pm
I assume you're talking about air raids?

I think the British got a little ticked off at the constant bombing and V-1 and V-2 rocket attacks which were pretty indiscriminate (on London, which was not the center of British industry). The Germans also tended to have industrial cities which made it pretty hard (especially with WWII technology)(Even with the Norden Bomb Sight) to drop bombs precisely on factories, trainyards, etcetera and not hit the houses built right around them. Especially while dodging ack-ack.

No defending firebombing a city, though. That was pretty heinous. Although I think the US and not the Brits were responsible for that one.

France didn't get as bad a deal as Belgium - every war between 1700 and WWII that took place in Europe pretty march stomped through Belgium on the way from here to there.

In terms of the Italians and Japanese, I don't think the Italians fared much better than the French. I think it's a fine testimony to the trust in your military might when the Swiss are the closest guard to the papacy, though. Italy has had real problems maintaining a functioning government and stable economy.

The Japanse on the other hand I think got a pretty good deal overall....They were all over Asia starting in the 20's, did some savage stuff in Nanking, enlaved the Philippines and a bunch of other pacific Islands, and were a lot harder on POWs than the germans, brits, or yanks. Invasion of the Japanese Home Islands would have yielded causalties in the 10s of millions. So we demonstrated a weapon to them and they refused to surrender. So we used it once and they refused to surrender. So we used it again and they surrendered. And the US-administered  rebuilding of Japan (and the Japanese economy) resulted in one of the world's most powerful economies.

This is no defense of using Atomic weapons. The end is good (at the moment), the means are tough but it was always their option to surrender. I don't know how far down the target list Tokyo was but sacrificing Hiroshima and Nagasaki is probably considered a bad move in hindsight.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Roger on May 09, 2006, 01:02:27 am
No defending firebombing a city, though. That was pretty heinous. Although I think the US and not the Brits were responsible for that one.

If you're talking about Dresden, it was the RAF and the USAAF. Pretty thorough job.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 09, 2006, 03:12:52 pm
Is the Queen Mary down to second in the 'Awesome Things At Long Beach, CA', then?

Whoever's idea it was to put that thing there was a genius.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 05:48:41 pm
*slaps asherdan about*
you live in California! You get fresh with fine women, surf, and play twangy guitar parts on a regular basis!

you eat at In-n-out burger!

you drive down freeways with the top of your convertible down!

cops in cars!
the topless bars!
never saw a woman...
so alone.
So alone!
*honky-tonk-style piano solo*

wait... Long Beach?
Fuck that.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2006, 06:50:02 pm
Only for a short time, the Missouri sailed off into mothballs at least a decade ago.

That must be a hell of a lot of mothballs.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 09, 2006, 07:04:46 pm
Italy's ultimate problem is that... it's not really a country. It's five or six regions that sort of all decided that it would make sense to be a country, because they're all the same religion and pretty much the same religion and pretty much the same ethnicity and because they're all in the same area. On the one level, it makes sense but... on another, the regions are so different politically and economically and such that there's no real way to hold a parlimentary democracy together for any period of time.

One area wants fascists, one area wants communists, some guys want Catholicism as the basis of government, some guys wanna vote in a porn star just to be funny... some dudes vote in a guy whose whole platform is letting giraffeermen get rich, some people vote in a guy who thinks the mafia is A-OK by him.

But... unlike a whole lot of other places, at the end of the day, pretty much everyone's either Catholic or lapsed Catholic, so there's no religious problems to tear them apart, everyone speaks a close-to-mainstream dialect of Italian, everyone pretty much looks the same in terms of an ethnic feature set so... there's nothing really pressing to rip the kinda-country apart either.

It's like the bizarro version of Kurdistan.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2006, 07:19:36 pm
That must be a hell of a lot of mothballs.

I always wondered how they got them out from between the moth's legs.  So tiny!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 07:39:03 pm
Before Aloha Dawg jumps in, The Missouri was moved from Bremerton, WA after being officially de-commissioned and struck from the Naval Registry in the mid '90's and moved to Pearl Harbor as part of the memorial. The Arizona signifies the beginning and the Missouri the end of that conflict. I'd like to get back to see that, as my last visit was before the changes.

It is awesome. If you can wait a few years, the whole Pearl Harbor National Memorial (not the monument over the Arizona, but the park and museum) is scheduled to have major, massive upgrading.

There are 4 cool attractions at Pearl Harbor: the Memorial and Museum which is awesome, the Missouri, which is really cool and fun to climb around in. She served in every conflict up to and including the Gulf War. In addition to the WWII armaments, there is an aegis missile defense system and a tomahawk battery on board as well.

The USS Bowfin, a decorated WWII submarine is moored nearby and the tour of that is a lot of fun too. They give you a headset audio tour and the voice giving the tour is the man who was the captain of the Bowfin during WWII.

The US Submarine Museum is right next to the bowfin, and has all kinds of very cool exhibits of parts from submarines, service flags from many subs, stories and history of sub actions. It's a really interesting place.


Edited out unfortunate real word typo not caught by spellchecker. Ouch.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 08:20:06 pm
an aegis missile defense system

This is the second time today someone has used the word "aegis" (more or less) around me.  Crazy!  The first time was a mythological reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis), though.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 08:24:37 pm
Oh god.. don't start with the mythology.  Next thing you know I will try and determine why Hephaestus would make a missle and then I'm two steps away from ancient slashfic and goddammit my parents are already disappointed in me enough.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 08:27:17 pm
Oh god.. don't start with the mythology.  Next thing you know I will try and determine why Hephaestus would make a missle and then I'm two steps away from ancient slashfic and goddammit my parents are already disappointed in me enough.

Thunderbolts were basically the nuclear missiles of their time though. It kept people in check, never really got used but when it did it was to horrifying results, and it enabled the owner of said weapons to basically do what he wanted. Like have sex with mortal ladies.

The Greek pantheon was the best in the whole of existence. This is true.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 08:32:46 pm
Well sure but let us consider Poseidon's three-pronged trident as a rather efficient weapon for its time as well.  Why three prongs though?  Was this a real improvement over a simplistic harpoon or was he overcompensating for maybe having scales below the belt? (Who would know?)  Did he just feel guilty that Aphrodite arose from his foamy jism?

In conclusion, GODDAMN YOU JUDY!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 09, 2006, 08:33:53 pm
Thunderbolts were basically the nuclear missiles of their time though. It kept people in check, never really got used but when it did it was to horrifying results, and it enabled the owner of said weapons to basically do what he wanted. Like have sex with mortal ladies.

The Greek pantheon was the best in the whole of existence. This is true.

Possibly, but you can't beat Iceland for backwater insanity. As in, "elves cannot possibly have lived in these houses; they are small, and elves are the size of people". And their immesnsely long and dull sagas revolving around farming, thinking about fighting, farming, farming, killing, farming, cutting trees, planning vengeance, cutting down a few more trees, farming, finally gaining vengeance, leaving someone else to plan vengeance on said avenger, etc until everyone loses interest and they invent immigration, allowing them to leave the godforsaken island.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 08:36:32 pm
Well sure but let us consider Poseidon's three-pronged trident as a rather efficient weapon for its time as well.  Why three prongs though?  Was this a real improvement over a simplistic harpoon or was he overcompensating for maybe having scales below the belt? (Who would know?)  Did he just feel guilty that Aphrodite arose from his foamy jism?

In conclusion, GODDAMN YOU JUDY!

And what about Ares? Was his portrayal as a soldier decked in the gear of a hoplite detrimental to the pious Greeks who refused to change their styles of battle in the face of the Roman war machine, due to the idea that the way a god of War is dressed must be the correct battle gear?

Alright, I'll stop.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 08:43:30 pm
Well sure but let us consider Poseidon's three-pronged trident as a rather efficient weapon for its time as well.  Why three prongs though?  Was this a real improvement over a simplistic harpoon or was he overcompensating for maybe having scales below the belt? (Who would know?)  Did he just feel guilty that Aphrodite arose from his foamy jism?

Second time I've heard this story today, too.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 08:47:37 pm
Second time I've heard this story today, too.

Well it is a good story after all.


I have to admit however that I do get an immature bit of laughter about the fact she arose that way... also, you know, the phrase Foamy Jism of Poseidon is basically schoolboy gold.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 08:49:42 pm
three-pronged trident

The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name they were very effective against sword-based warriors, as not only did the length of the weapon allow them to keep the other Damnati in check, but the three prongs could be used to block and even disarm most attacks. If someone swung a sword at you, catching it in the prongs then twisting would certainly throw them off a bit.

Or maybe it's just symbolic of something or other?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 08:52:31 pm
The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name they were very effective against sword-based warriors, as not only did the length of the weapon allow them to keep the other Damnati in check, but the three prongs could be used to block and even disarm most attacks. If someone swung a sword at you, catching it in the prongs then twisting would certainly throw them off a bit.

Or maybe it's just symbolic of something or other?

Which just goes to show you that having a long triple-headed dinkus is clearly evolutionarily preferrable as you can diswang the regular old joes who may attempt to mate with your own preferred breeding partner.


Oh hell.. this isn't going anywhere nice.  I'd say I was sorry about this, but really I'm not.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: CortJstr on May 09, 2006, 08:55:06 pm
Oh god.. don't start with the mythology.  Next thing you know I will try and determine why Hephaestus would make a missle and then I'm two steps away from ancient slashfic and goddammit my parents are already disappointed in me enough.

Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

And the books Ilium and Olympos: What the hell? Really.

Wouldn't Poseidon do better witha double headed dinkus? He could claim to be the basis for that lame "shocker" hand gesture.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: V-Adore on May 09, 2006, 09:02:17 pm
Which just goes to show you that having a long triple-headed dinkus is clearly evolutionarily preferrable as you can diswang the regular old joes who may attempt to mate with your own preferred breeding partner.

I'm not sure about the triple-headed part, but "have a really huge weird wanger in order to ensure that only your sperm reaches the gametes of your lady love" is a well-established evolutionary strategy.

(Fun Fact: there's a correlation between polygamy rates among primates and male reproductive-organ size! Chimps are ridiculously hung relative to their body size because a chimp lady will get it on with any old dude, meaning there's hella sperm competition; in contrast, gorillas are monogamous, and thus male gorillas are not particularly well-endowed. Humans are in the middle. This presents all sorts of fun party-game possibilities.)
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 09:03:21 pm
Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

And the books Ilium and Olympos: What the hell? Really.

Wouldn't Poseidon do better witha double headed dinkus? He could claim to be the basis for that lame "shocker" hand gesture.

E-jis (long e short i) is the most acceptible version that I have encountered but I am a lover of stories not a linguist.  (I am however cunning.)

Dude.. Dan Simmons concerns me about as much as the one grey hair I found on the side of my head the other day... "NOT AT ALL".

Furthermore, why would you go in for a dual-dinkus when you have the option of a triple-trousersnake right around the corner?  That just seems foolish.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 09:04:05 pm
Actual science

Sure.. ruin my joke with evidence, logic, and reason.


man you guys... just man.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 09:06:50 pm
The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name...

I think Judy's been talking to Monkey Punch. Did he mention Roman Gladiators and Nate Small by any chance?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 09:07:35 pm
Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

I second Q's pronunciation.  This makes sense because in Latin, ae is pronounced "ee," as in alumnae ("alum-nEE"); in contrast, i is pronounced "eye," as in alumni ("alum-nEYE").
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 09:11:25 pm
I think Judy's been talking to Monkey Punch. Did he mention Roman Gladiators and Nate Small by any chance?

My sources were the Roman Day at Chedworth Roman Villa. I got to watch mock gladiator fights. That is my source.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 09, 2006, 09:16:44 pm
They didn't have gladiators when I went there. I seriously doubt they ever had a working arena in Chedworth, due to its status as Worst Tourist Trap in all Southwest Gloucestershire. Might be Wiltshire.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 09:21:59 pm
They didn't have gladiators when I went there. I seriously doubt they ever had a working arena in Chedworth, due to its status as Worst Tourist Trap in all Southwest Gloucestershire. Might be Wiltshire.

Nope, it's Gloucestershire. Anyway, what the hell are you on? We got to wear Roman armour and have a story from a Real Centuriontm, watch fights, and look at the remains of the villa! And they sold wooden gladiuses and those big half round shields.

They just fought on grass. The lady fighters wore very loose dresses, much to the delight of the creepy commentator. (Especially when they had to wrestle each other. We all know the real purpose of this place, then.)
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 09, 2006, 09:30:41 pm
Nope, it's Gloucestershire. Anyway, what the hell are you on? We got to wear Roman armour and have a story from a Real Centuriontm, watch fights, and look at the remains of the villa! And they sold wooden gladiuses and those big half round shields.

They just fought on grass. The lady fighters wore very loose dresses, much to the delight of the creepy commentator. (Especially when they had to wrestle each other. We all know the real purpose of this place, then.)

Well, there were no opportunities for said lechery when I went. In fact, there were no opportunites for anything but rapid heat exhaustion.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: CortJstr on May 09, 2006, 09:43:10 pm
I second Q's pronunciation.  This makes sense because in Latin, ae is pronounced "ee," as in alumnae ("alum-nEE"); in contrast, i is pronounced "eye," as in alumni ("alum-nEYE").

OK, I'm home and my copy of The Iliad (the Fagles translation) says 'E-j&s is based on latin and 'A-j&s is based on greek. In English both are considered correct but long-a is more appropriate when talking about greek myths.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 09:49:52 pm
OK, I'm home and my copy of The Iliad (the Fagles translation) says 'E-j&s is based on latin and 'A-j&s is based on greek. In English both are considered correct but long-a is more appropriate when talking about greek myths.

Well there you go.. from a source that is way better than me.


Seriously... try it out... say "Hey Q said..." and then say "Hey this researched copy of the Illiad said.." in an Ancient Greek class and see which one gets more approval.

Why I bet you don't even have to do the experiment to come up with a pretty reasonable hypothesis to that even!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 11:36:57 pm
Hobot, I am disappointed in you.

in Latin, the AE diphthong is pronounced "eye."
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Hobot on May 10, 2006, 12:35:43 am
Well FUCK.

I guess this is what happens when you take Latin for only one year in Middle School, and your teacher pronounces things differently every day.  How many ways can you pronounce "Iulia"?  The answer may surprise you!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 10, 2006, 12:44:25 am
Well FUCK.

I guess this is what happens when you take Latin for only one year in Middle School, and your teacher pronounces things differently every day.  How many ways can you pronounce "Iulia"?  The answer may surprise you!

Bad Latin Experiences eh?  I can top that.  For two months in 8th grade my teacher was out cause she got sick by The Diabetus or something, I don't remember.  Possibly "Woman Issues".  But that's irrelevant.  For those 2 months we had the single Best/Worst substitute in history (Best in retrospect, at the time, eh, not so much).  His name was "Mr. Gomez" and he was apparently a professional soccer coach who moonlighted as a substitute teacher.  He had buttons (buttons!) stuck to his shoes.  He had the most ridiculous accent I ever heard.  It sounded like Carlos Mencia had (further) brain trauma and then smoked 6 packs a day.  During his tenure, he taught us such valuable lessons as "My dog Rojo says not to give you homework tonight, but I do not trust him with this decision", and "Latin is a dead language, like Caveman."  Yeah, that was a good one.

This has been my contribution to The Most Offtopic Message Board in History.  What was this thread about again?
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: misterqueue on May 10, 2006, 12:51:36 am


This has been my contribution to The Most Offtopic Message Board in History.  What was this thread about again?

Truly that is an excellent story.


I will never understand why off-topicness is a federal offense sometimes.  I think my downfall here is going to be that I'm always generally way more interested in the off-topic than the on-topic. 

Wait.. now I'm going off topic about off topicality!  Recursion (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2776.msg65209.html#msg65209)!  Fuck!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: V-Adore on May 10, 2006, 01:54:16 am
"Latin is a dead language, like Caveman."

Best. Quote. Ever.

So I decree!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: wombat on May 10, 2006, 02:08:24 am

I will never understand why off-topicness is a federal offense sometimes. 

Just 'cause we like to keep you guessing.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2006, 02:45:02 am
oh god, Wombat, until you said that, I had forgotten this:

I am now fervently of the belief that the "Admins Only Board" is the site of plotting and psychoanalyzing.

"TI is seeming insecure lately, give him a couple cans. But, oh, that Q, he thinks he isn't a n00b anymore! Lock a few topics and say it's his fault. OH man, how about we make a fake-fake-TOUAMB and make fun of ourselves, so that they all get a chance to talk about how much they love us! And OHH! We can have them vote on who they want to kick off the board. That should keep them on their toes!"
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 10, 2006, 03:15:01 am
Chedworth, Gloucestershire. Wiltshire.

...you make up town names, too.

"Cheers" to that, I guess.
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 10, 2006, 04:09:48 am
Latin class was the best thing that EVER happened to me. I met my girlfriend of now three years in Latin Class. Rock on Latin!
Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: Drygioni on May 10, 2006, 04:21:04 pm
...you make up town names, too.

"Cheers" to that, I guess.

I live in these places, and you're telling me they don't exist?! Here's one for you: Little Falls Mets only exist because of a glitch in the Matrix. I bet you're one of those guys who pronounces Cirencester 'Chirenchester', like that crazy American blues guitarist I went to see. I live in a village called Hatherop.

On the subject of Off-Topic posts, it seems to happen in almost every single thread there is here. Is this normal? Being one who normally contributes to this diversions on the road to the subject, I need to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Title: Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
Post by: 1 on May 10, 2006, 04:35:45 pm
Yeah, but to be fair, you did make up those place names, didn't you?