The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: ananke on April 28, 2006, 07:24:24 am

Title: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: ananke on April 28, 2006, 07:24:24 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282006)

Oh, I love this one. The head of Keith Moon, and "WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT"... and Ray's ebay username.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: goldenchurchhill on April 28, 2006, 07:34:11 am
He is getting a chopper!!!

Awesome.  Just a couple days ago, I was having Ray withdrawl.  Now this and his blog.  If this isn't nice, what is?

This is pretty much my night everyday, so I can relate.  I like how he always is teaching, keeping it classy, ya know?
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: antioch on April 28, 2006, 07:55:38 am
 I'm going to use this for friends what don't know Achewood. Solid stuff here.

 Ray's username is smack between "PJ_Rules420" and "Cyberline Advanced Products."
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 28, 2006, 07:57:44 am
Yea, classic Ray strip.  That cat is a genius. 

Can he afford that "Huey"?



Kids, always sleep stoned!


Also, perfect 7 a.m. eyes.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: V-Adore on April 28, 2006, 08:06:19 am
"Eyes may close in transit -- there is no technology to guard against this." Not even, like, spirit gum?

Perfect. So perfect.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Apemantus on April 28, 2006, 08:32:27 am
A++++++ STRIP. WOULD READ AGAIN.

Bonus marks were awarded as follows:

+1 for "Become the Ruling Body"
+1 for the way in which the blogs and the strips are coming closer together and picking up/foreshadowing themes
-1 for typing "What's The Best Thing You Got" into eBay not taking you to an original Onstad picture of Ray

Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Drastic Action on April 28, 2006, 09:01:31 am
How many people have now typed this into ebay?  I must say, the results are disappointing.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: oball on April 28, 2006, 09:03:57 am
Man, I've been down on the last few strips (I don't really dig the whole Trashspotting thing) but this one nailed me right between the eyes.

Bam.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2006, 11:13:44 am
I don't know what alternate reality this is where "WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT" is not the thread title.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2006, 11:15:19 am
this is the end of the arc.

phillipe will never come back. he is gone.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: MattFish on April 28, 2006, 11:46:28 am
Ray will GET. THE. BIGGEST. LASER. and somehow save the day with it.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 28, 2006, 12:37:58 pm
phillipe will never come back. he is gone.

You could NOT be more wrong.  Ray's blog has foreshadowed this--he's buying the helicopter.

How do you think they're going to rescue Philippe from the waves?  Huh?
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2006, 12:47:35 pm
Ray will GET. THE. BIGGEST. LASER. and somehow save the day with it.

Naw, the only point in a really huge laser is carving your name and/or face into the moon. And this laser only goes 500 miles. Fuck that noise. Ray's getting Airwolf. Maybe next week he'll get K.I.T.T.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2006, 12:57:01 pm
The best thing is that Keith Moon would wear a delighted expression if he knew his head was being sold on E-bay.  If he knew what E-bay was.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: misterqueue on April 28, 2006, 01:21:11 pm
Ray will GET. THE. BIGGEST. LASER. and somehow save the day with it.

No no.. he'll just perform LASIK at low low prices.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2006, 01:40:57 pm
Oh yeah, I didn't see that coming.  Ray will save Philippe with Airwolf.  Awesome.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2006, 02:01:41 pm
Also, perfect 7 a.m. eyes.

Hey it's Keith Hernandez.  Tell us about the time you struck out with Elaine Benez.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Roger on April 28, 2006, 02:18:08 pm
Naw, the only point in a really huge laser is carving your name and/or face into the moon.

The ultimate act of vandalism!


Ray's getting Airwolf. Maybe next week he'll get K.I.T.T.

I don't think so. He should get Airwolf and Blue Thunder, and put the two choppers to fight each other. Thus solving a lifelong childhood question as to who beats who.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: cellardoor on April 28, 2006, 02:37:06 pm
Attach the laser to Airwolf, rescue Phillipe, shoot the dog poo off of Beef's feet and maybe wreck some skeezy slut-huffers all in one super-sized strip!
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 02:42:44 pm
Man double plus to the guys predicting ray will swoop in with the helichopper and save the day.  That is downright prescience if you ask me.  Also, this seems like a good time to burn one and then watch my airwolf dvd collection.  Goddamn "school" and "responsibilities".
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Hobot on April 28, 2006, 02:51:46 pm
Onstad is the master of the artful use of italics:  "Pale green, both eyes open, delighted expression."

As to the "no technology to guard against this" bit, I suggest firing up that badass laser.  Lasers fix everything.  There is nothing they can't do.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: slumpman on April 28, 2006, 02:53:48 pm
(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/slumpman/eray.jpg)



The strip makes me feel sad for ray. All of his friends are away on an adventure and so he sits alone in a chair until 7am. Doesn't the dude have a hobby?
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 02:55:42 pm
The strip makes me feel sad for ray. All of his friends are away on an adventure and so he sits alone in a chair until 7am. Doesn't the dude have a hobby?

The dude's hobby is bringing the eBay moves no one said could be done.  He is the thomas edison of googling all kinds of stuff up on ebay.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Xngurevar on April 28, 2006, 02:58:33 pm
Is this in fact the first depiction of a bong (the kind you smoke) in Achewood?

I am well pleased.  But why isn't it three feet tall and shaped like a dragon?
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: evan on April 28, 2006, 02:59:47 pm
Predictably enough there are already two ebay auctions with the title "WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT".
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 03:07:36 pm
Is this in fact the first depiction of a bong (the kind you smoke) in Achewood?

I am well pleased.  But why isn't it three feet tall and shaped like a dragon?

I know this is not the first time such an implement has appeared, but for the life of me I cannot find the dang strip.  It is the one which leads up to Ray deciding that "No one should be a cock to a stranger" and that Teodor would like a piece of driftwood with "the cure" written on it.  Someone give me a hand here.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: V-Adore on April 28, 2006, 03:20:33 pm
Predictably enough there are already two ebay auctions with the title "WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT".

I would like to submit it as the saddest thing that the best thing this guy has is half a bag of jalapeno pretzels. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Whats-the-best-thing-you-got_W0QQitemZ9514563912QQcategoryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Especially with the "Warning! By the end of the auction it might be an empty bag of Jalapeno pretzels, depends on how hungry I get. YOU WERE WARNED!" rider.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: smick on April 28, 2006, 03:31:41 pm
Is this in fact the first depiction of a bong (the kind you smoke) in Achewood?

I am well pleased.  But why isn't it three feet tall and shaped like a dragon?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01272005

It is indeed from the party in the bathroom that leads up to Ray being from history, and not being cocks to strangers.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: slumpman on April 28, 2006, 03:36:39 pm
The dude's hobby is bringing the eBay moves no one said could be done.  He is the thomas edison of googling all kinds of stuff up on ebay.

He can't recall the last time he used ebay! i know he's stoned n'all, but "i'm craaazy for that shit!" this smacks desperately of "i'm not lonely or bored, no, i have this amazing passion for an auction website that i rarely peruse". He has his Friday Parties which may or may not even occur anymore and if buying a helicopter doesn't constitute a midlife crisis then i simply don't know.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: robot_god on April 28, 2006, 03:45:59 pm
I would like to submit it as the saddest thing that the best thing this guy has is half a bag of jalapeno pretzels. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Whats-the-best-thing-you-got_W0QQitemZ9514563912QQcategoryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Especially with the "Warning! By the end of the auction it might be an empty bag of Jalapeno pretzels, depends on how hungry I get. YOU WERE WARNED!" rider.

omgggggg Jalapeno pretzels are so good.


Also, Ray has been known to have mild hallucinations after smoking a bong.  He thinks he is buying a helicoptor and might end up paying 20 million for diet pills and a pair of stretch #####.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2006, 03:53:49 pm
googling all kinds of stuff up on ebay.

Whoa, can you really say this?  Should Google be worrying about its trademark?
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 04:00:35 pm
Whoa, can you really say this?  Should Google be worrying about its trademark?

No they should be worried about the chinese government!

Topical
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: jough on April 28, 2006, 04:01:36 pm
Man, the Jalapeno pretzels auction at least is a real auction.  The other one just lists the items in today's strip.  It's funny, but she may be required to actually produce those items or pay the penalty if someone actually bids on them.

Hm... it may be worth $25 to get the original Airwolf chopper...
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Drygioni on April 28, 2006, 04:22:44 pm
Oh eBay! You card! Everyone knows that Keith Moon's head directed the moon landing and the assassination of JFK, and is now Secretary General of the Illuminati. Ray should know this, being a member of Mensa and all.

This strip was damn awesome. The whole idea of a secret eBay is so surreal and absurd, yet oddly believable. I want to live in Achewood. It is a fine state of mind in which to live.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Hobot on April 28, 2006, 04:28:23 pm
Quote from: melissahess1
Don't believe media hype created by stealth republicans- today's new computers are actually slower than the computers of yesteryear.

Damn those stealth Republicans!


And yes, Ash, I was thinking the same thing.  Somehow, though, I don't envision Keith Moon's head being so well-preserved (or alive).
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: evan on April 28, 2006, 04:41:56 pm
Man, the Jalapeno pretzels auction at least is a real auction.  The other one just lists the items in today's strip.  It's funny, but she may be required to actually produce those items or pay the penalty if someone actually bids on them.

Hm... it may be worth $25 to get the original Airwolf chopper...
She's actually selling an old computer...
Quote
(This auction is actually about this item))
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Emmoh on April 28, 2006, 04:52:51 pm
So...what, this girl was just kickin' around this morning, read today's strip, then promptly foraged around for something to sell so that she could use quotes from the strip?


I would like to marry this woman.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 28, 2006, 04:53:17 pm
If this isn't nice, what is?

Excellent Vonnegut reference.

Though I would'a voted for "Hello, OrganizedMan!" to be the proper title here.

And if Ray isn't exactly what my younger brother would be if he was insanely rich, then I don't know what the hell is going on.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: mrdna1 on April 28, 2006, 05:16:35 pm
Today's strip was perfect ... not for nothin', but I'm starting to get sick of these long, drawn-out storylines and would love to see just a month of random half-punchlines about Ray being loaded and Beef having hell of depression and Teodor being inoffensively pretentious.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: LCB on April 28, 2006, 05:48:47 pm
This eBay Platinum Reserve reminds me of all those rumors and urban legends from years back about how Visa and such had special "black cards" for the elitest, wealthiest credit card holders, with special privielages and almost unlimited credit.

Stories of high-end clothing stores in New York being shut down for the day after the manager gets a call and a black cardholder being secretly ushered in and allowed to shop spree as long as they want without anybody else in their way...

A Lambroghini dealership also closing down for the day, so some Euro playboy can choose which model he prefers, just putting it on his card...

That sort of thing.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2006, 05:53:59 pm
This eBay Platinum Reserve reminds me of all those rumors and urban legends from years back about how Visa and such had special "black cards" for the elitest, wealthiest credit card holders, with special privielages and almost unlimited credit.

It was AmEx (http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/blackcard.asp) and the legend was so pervasive that actual black cards were created to fulfill it.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2006, 08:39:12 pm
oh man, this is like the secret myspace-type website. you have to apply to join. and if they later discover that you aren't obscenely wealthy (or famous), they kick you out.

I swear that I read about this someplace reputable. I cannot remember what it is called.

"oh dude, Bill Gates friended me!"

"oh man, I got an Event Invitation! huh. I'm supposed to meet them at the exact center of the Pacific ocean. Oh, damn, it says to only come on a personal yacht. mine is in drydock! I just know the guys did this to embarass me."

Quote from:  wikipedia
aSmallWorld offers 60 detailed "city guides" written by its members detailing and rating high-quality clubs and restaurants. Members can also buy, sell, and auction items that they would not want to sell on eBay using aSmallWorld's private forums.

edit: I think it is http://www.asmallworld.net (http://www.asmallworld.net)
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: remainder on April 28, 2006, 10:27:55 pm
what is ray doing buying all this junk for an old gateway laptop?  you'd think he'd have someone take care of that for him..

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/junkstuff/ray-organizedman-ebay.png)

GATEWAY SOLO 5300 REPLACEMENT KEYBOARD (http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemWithCategory&item=6860241268)
Great Payer - A+ Transaction

SL 5300 LAPTOP 4X8X20X CD-RW TORiSAN CDW-U4424 ~ADEAL~ (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38116&item=6858594776)
Great transaction. Fast pay. Highly recommended. Thank you from Adeal.com !!

GATEWAY SOLO 5300 HEATSINK/FAN: 8005428 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=8777517216)
GREAT TRANSACTION . THANKS

Microsoft Office XP Professional Full Ver. 2002 MS PRO (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41856&item=5859095055)
Fast payment! Excellent customer! Thank you.

huh
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: mrdna1 on April 28, 2006, 10:34:59 pm
Somebody (Hobot? I'm sorry but I refuse to CortJstr it) posted something along the lines of 'too soon, Onstad, too soon' when this story line kicked off. I'm thinking (especially after how much I enjoyed todays strip) that maybe that sentiment is correct.
Theinevitable (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2699.msg61155.html#msg61155).
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: miles on April 29, 2006, 02:39:55 am
This eBay Platinum Reserve reminds me of all those rumors and urban legends from years back about how Visa and such had special "black cards" for the elitest, wealthiest credit card holders, with special privielages and almost unlimited credit.

Hey, a friend who works up in Park City at a ski shop just told me stories of this kind of thing.  And I believed him!

It was AmEx (http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/blackcard.asp) and the legend was so pervasive that actual black cards were created to fulfill it.

Oh, so he's not a liar and I'm not as gullible as I feared.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: theinevitable on April 29, 2006, 03:49:09 am
oh my God.
I love that I was the person who said it, and that when I read that post, I thought "yeah, I think Hobot did say that!"

what I am saying is this: I said it, but i do not remember saying it. because of this, I attributed it to Hobot.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Hobot on April 29, 2006, 04:53:11 am
I'm just glad I didn't fugue.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: malco on April 29, 2006, 02:55:43 pm
Don't care sir , stop trying to make a really funny strip ,.....seem ..easily understandable.The floating esky is quite obviously going to end up in japan (maybe china), so phillipe can end up with ultra-peanut for a fleeting moment.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: hoborg on May 03, 2006, 01:29:37 am
People are still making "WHATS THE BEST THING YOU GOT" Auctions...

The best one so far: Realistic Nuclear Launch System (http://cgi.ebay.com/Whats-the-best-thing-you-got_W0QQitemZ9515414691QQcategoryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

What a deal!
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 03, 2006, 02:23:03 am
words

I really want your icon to be Hobot's torilla-face icon except with one Borg eye photoshopped on.

I just want you to know this.

EDIT: is the word "*****" censored? I got a bunch of #####s for it.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2006, 02:49:13 am
EDIT: is the word "#####" censored? I got a bunch of #####s for it.

Oh, and you were doing so good too. Sorry.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: robot_god on May 03, 2006, 02:55:35 am
What word?  #####?  I'm not sure if what you're saying means anything.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 03, 2006, 03:07:53 am
The word you are looking for is #####.

I mean #####.

Wait no it's #####.


Dammit, I can't see this being resolved any time soon.

Shit I just messed my ******.

That fuck*ng shit.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 03, 2006, 03:20:52 am
It's a five-letter work for a machine made to look like a person.

I can only assume there's some in-joke there, why that'd be blocked.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: AugustWest on May 03, 2006, 03:37:05 am
fuck*ng turlingdromes.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: oball on May 03, 2006, 04:00:09 am
It's a five-letter work for a machine made to look like a person.

I can only assume there's some in-joke there, why that'd be blocked.

Don't press the issue.  I did, and now positive cans of Dr. Pepper are a thing of the past.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2006, 04:13:57 am
OBall!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 04:49:10 am
##### ?

Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: jough on May 03, 2006, 11:15:20 am
Yes, LEARN from his tortured past!  This is what it means to make an example out of someone.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: oball on May 03, 2006, 11:37:25 am
I can also be engaged to speak at schools for a modest fee.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: Dexter on May 03, 2006, 06:45:02 pm
It's a five-letter work for a machine made to look like a person.
Or a traffic light, if you're from South Africa.  "Sorry I was late to work, I got caught by the *****s."  I want to live in South Africa so I can use that as an excuse.
Title: Re: April 28, 2006 -- Women want to know him, men want to copy his drink
Post by: wombat on May 03, 2006, 07:58:09 pm
I believe it is way past the point when someone was supposed to point out that it is strongly suggested that one read the archives before asking such a question.  Sorry, I've been busy at work today.