The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on April 30, 2006, 07:14:14 pm

Title: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 30, 2006, 07:14:14 pm
I wanted to start this thread, despite it being sort of old news, because I just needed to make sure that everyone had heard about this (http://revolution.nintendo.com/).

Done reading?

Okay, thoughts?


Edit: if a mod could move this to sports & leisure I would be much obliged.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: lprkn on April 30, 2006, 07:42:54 pm
Penny Arcade's take (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/28).
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 30, 2006, 07:58:44 pm
For the record, I would buy the nintendo pu$$y.

"Hey guys come over to my house and we'll play some smash bros on the pu$$y."
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2006, 08:17:46 pm
For the record, I would buy the nintendo pu$$y.

"Hey guys come over to my house and we'll play some smash bros on the pu$$y."

This couldn't be more tangentially related, but do the Smash Bros games still have Nes in them despite the fact that there are like 9 Americans that know who he is?
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 30, 2006, 08:23:44 pm
I couldn't vouch for the gamecube version, having not played it.  But I think my friends have mentioned that he is in there.  Also, come on I know who ness is, everyone should!  Also, somewhat more tangential, wouldn't an earthbound for the pu$$y be awesome?  You could simulate bat-swinging action with the revmote.  Yeah, that'd rock.


Also thanks for moving the thread.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on April 30, 2006, 08:31:16 pm
goodness.

I read an article about this
which was on a blog
there was another article, which was about Oblivion.

I am now re-installing Morrowind. I am going to try a thing where I get past level 1 this time.
has it been done? This game confused and upset me so much. I do not enjoy having to aim my arrows and hits with a sword. they should be aimed by the character, who supposedly is very skilled at these things. I got killed by -everything-.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 30, 2006, 08:36:41 pm
Morrowind is hard to get into, pretty easy to get lost.  A lot of people complained about the lack of guidance.  If you have acrobatics as a minor skill it gets pretty easy to level up, just jump all the time.  You'll gain like 6 points in a few minutes.  Also, stay away from marksmanship, it's too hard to get to a level where it becomes useful I thought.  Also, don't worry about the main plot, you're really under no obligation to even attempt it.  I just like fuck*ng around and leveling up, it can be a pretty immersive game.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on April 30, 2006, 08:56:08 pm
yeah, ok
on second thought no way am I trying to play that game again.
if I'm going to start playing a game, I'm just going back to NWN or Master of Orion or something.

Warcraft III?
Baldur's Gate II?
Starcraft?

these are all possibilities.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2006, 08:58:51 pm
I am now re-installing Morrowind. I am going to try a thing where I get past level 1 this time.
has it been done? This game confused and upset me so much. I do not enjoy having to aim my arrows and hits with a sword. they should be aimed by the character, who supposedly is very skilled at these things. I got killed by -everything-.

I agree. I gave up on Morrowind pretty quickly. I play RPGs because they require no dexterity and if I walk away from the computer for an hour without pausing nothing happens.

Which reminds me, I think I still have a half-done game of Earthbound that I should finish. I'd just added Pu to my party.

TI: did you ever try Arcanum?
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: misterqueue on April 30, 2006, 09:02:28 pm
OH dude we totally already did this on IRC.. GET WITH THE TIMES!

You are lucky I like the cut of your jib.


Er.. anyway yes.. it is basically a bad idea.  I believe Ben-AFK pointed out that a lot of people will be asking for the W version I  (beyond the toilet humor obviously).


Cort: Arcanum was fun.. kind of...   Also Morrowind good god... I mean if I want to walk around that much I want it to be multiplayer at least.... because fuck if I can keep myself interested picking marshweed for 8 fuck*ng hours just to get to the next town.

Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on April 30, 2006, 09:17:53 pm
I feel like there is a good reason that I never played Arcanum. But I don't remember it.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2006, 09:19:03 pm
I feel like there is a good reason that I never played Arcanum. But I don't remember it.

It was no FFVI or anything but it was a decent enough CRPG with a good hook with the technology vs. magick storyline.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Ben-San on April 30, 2006, 11:31:10 pm
I feel that naming their new system the Wii perfectly captures Nintendo's brand identity, which is to say kind of cute and benevolently insane.

"What if the carrots in my garden were little men? Would they love me or fear me?"
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on April 30, 2006, 11:55:03 pm
I gotta be honest, when I first saw the name I thought it was the "W2" and wondered why they'd name it after the income tax form.

Man, I thought Revolution was the actual name of the thing.  It was kind of a bold and cocky name, but it really stuck.  The Wii is just stupid.  For anyone who may have purchased a Revolution they may think twice about buying a Wii. 

Not that Playstation or Xbox are genius names.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2006, 12:09:40 am
yeah, I really feel that by playing non-nintendo systems, I am missing out on this.

I read a great thing somewhere once, where a guy had played through one of their games in Japanese. He made up a storyline, and his storyline made more sense than theirs did... it was something involving a guy having plants help him build a spaceship, I think?
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: robot_god on May 01, 2006, 03:40:35 am
What it comes down to, is that Nintendo markets their systems to kids, they don't give a shit what "gamers" think of the name.  They care that toddlers can remember the name and repeat it as early as possible in development.  Doesn't matter how stupid the name sounds.  The number of "children" must be 1000 times greater than the number of "gamers."

And I'm not even saying that's unethical or any kind of bad business:  I'd much rather have my theoretical children playing a Wii than watching Jimmy Fallon movies.

Man, that system is going to be huge.  Think about this, it's Christmas '07 and you're some seven year old kid.  What would you ask Santa for?  X^2-box w/ ethernet adaptor, Spongebob dolls, The Nintendo Revolution, or the Wii?
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Hobot on May 01, 2006, 03:46:46 am
I would ask for world peace.  But I was an idealistic child.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2006, 04:01:26 am
A puppy!

no...

a kitty!
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Ben-San on May 01, 2006, 04:05:45 am
I read a great thing somewhere once, where a guy had played through one of their games in Japanese. He made up a storyline, and his storyline made more sense than theirs did... it was something involving a guy having plants help him build a spaceship, I think?

That would be Pikmin. Supposedly the game concept was spawned when the game designer was having breakfast and saw some of the mini carrots he'd been growing in his garden, thought about how much love he'd given them before pulling them out of the ground and eating them, and started to wonder how they would view him if they were tiny little men. Then he decided to make a game about it.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Mite on May 01, 2006, 10:56:03 am
I don't really understand why folks seem so pissed about the name. It's a little strange, sure, but it's not like they named it "Cum-Guzzling Butt Pirate" or something.

I just hope it comes out soon, so game cubes get really cheap. I want some four sword action!
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Doc on May 01, 2006, 11:36:29 am
I've been psyched about the rev since the controller video but this name really took me back. I don't know if I can go in and ask for a 'Wii' though I know I shall eventually. The thing is while I think the name is a really poor call, it actually looks pretty good written down:
Wii
it looks like the name of something a guy in a turtleneck with a really tiny apple laptop would own. But when you say it outloud it all just goes to shit.
In any case if they have a strong enough game lineup and it gets popular enough the toilet jokes will come and go in about 10 minutes, and it will sure as hell will be easy for people to remember (which is a bigger deal than you might think if you are, as ninty claim to be) appealing to the older and non-tech oriented markets.
Bottom line, I'm still psyched enough that I'll probably get one right out the door but I am strongly considering stencilling a giant R onto the side. Because you won't fool the children of the revolution.

Tangenting: What do we think of the Red Steel screenshots that were some news sites a couple of weeks ago?

Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2006, 12:34:57 pm
It's a little strange, sure, but it's not like they named it "Cum-Guzzling Butt Pirate" or something.



More's the pity.  I mean, I don't even play games, but that's a name that would compel one's attention.

Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: V-Adore on May 01, 2006, 01:30:37 pm
I think I've seen "Nintendo Cum-Guzzling Butt Pirate" thrown around as an insult on message boards before. It has a certain appeal.

See, I get the feeling the Wii is going to end up working out very much like the DS before it: initially mocked by the American market for being a little overly Japanowacky, with a weird interface, and then taking off once a few games show what the hardware can really do. I'm not even sure it will take as long as the DS took, thanks to the immediate backwards-compatibility; I know I'm pondering picking up a Wii just so I can play Earthbound in console-o-vision again without haunting EB used bins for the next ten years.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 01, 2006, 01:38:33 pm
I just want to play the old NES version of Tetris again.  It was my favourite and really after I started selling off the cartridges to get rid of the old girl I kept playing Tetris for like a year before I finally sold the console.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Mite on May 01, 2006, 02:08:04 pm
I just want to play the old NES version of Tetris again.  It was my favourite and really after I started selling off the cartridges to get rid of the old girl I kept playing Tetris for like a year before I finally sold the console.

Word. Tetris Worlds for the GBA just ain't even close to being the same. At least the port of Dr. Mario is spot on.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 01, 2006, 02:09:54 pm
Also, if someone were to order me up a heaping helping of the original Castlevania, I might, just might play it.

Also, in 8th grade I got the original Game Boy for Christmas, and Steve "Henderbiter" Henderson stole my GB Castlevania game from me.  I did stab him in the chest with a pencil, though.  Rumour has it that the point is still inside of him.

So I guess we're even.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Lister on May 03, 2006, 02:19:53 pm
I have determined that the proper way to pronounce Wii is "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" in a kind of falsetto.

At this point I don't plan to buy one, but I'm sure there's going to be a reason for me to do that later.  What if the Wiimote is actually the first decent FPS control system on a console?  What if Miyamoto comes out with something gorgeous and cute and addictive all at the same time?  I've had one of every Nintendo console so far, and except for the SNES I have always thought there wouldn't be anything on the new one that could possibly make me want it.  Then I see the new Zelda and I buy it.

Dammit.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Honeycombhideout on May 14, 2006, 01:18:40 am
Have you ever played the Legend of Zelda... on Wii?

http://revolution.ign.com/objects/748/748589.html (http://revolution.ign.com/objects/748/748589.html)
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: miles on May 14, 2006, 06:23:39 am
I really miss The Legend of Zelda on the NES.  I still have the game, but the NES doesn't work anymore.  Tried to repair it, but it still won't work.  God, I miss that game.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 14, 2006, 03:37:37 pm
I have a copy of the original Legend of Zelda for the PC - someone translated it in its entirety, and a few years ago I played through it again.  It held up pretty well.

I haven't played any of the Zelda games since then, but I'm hoping someone I know buys a Wii so I can play the new one a little.  The new bow shooting mechanism with the numchuck controller looks really cool - gotta love the little speaker in the controller itself so you can hear the spring of the bowstring.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 14, 2006, 11:49:17 pm
So, in other Nintendo news, they totally got me. I used some birthday money to buy a Nintendo DS with Mario Kart and Brain Age. The only reason I bought it, really, is that the news stories about Brain Age (which I keep spelling as "Brian Age"--who's Brian?) caught our attention (our indicating my wife and myself--Brian is not involved in that pronoun).
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 16, 2006, 02:13:37 pm
The Wii is the BIG HIT at E3.  No one gives a shit about the Xbox 360 (old news) or PS3.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e306-clips-e3-morning-stampede-173469.php
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Drygioni on May 16, 2006, 03:18:42 pm
Being a Nintendo fan-boy at heart, this gave me a unwelcome, yet not altogether unpleasant, feeling of joy. Fuck you, Playstation!
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 16, 2006, 03:52:54 pm
Being a Nintendo fan-boy at heart, this gave me a unwelcome, yet not altogether unpleasant, priapism. Fuck you, Playstation!
That's how I thought this whole bit was going to turn out.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Drygioni on May 16, 2006, 03:57:18 pm
Mate! I should NOT have to be looking this stuff up on the Internet at such a young age! Seriously!
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 16, 2006, 08:06:58 pm
Mate! I should NOT have to be looking this stuff up on the Internet! I should know this already!


Can you hang with the dirtiest dudes in town? We're about education.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2006, 10:09:27 pm
hm.

so, I know this word from Sealab 2021.
shame on you, judy. shame. you are under the age of 25 and you did not watch this show?

I need to start watching adult swim again, speaking of that.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Drygioni on May 16, 2006, 10:18:33 pm
hm.

so, I know this word from Sealab 2021.
shame on you, judy. shame. you are under the age of 25 and you did not watch this show?

I need to start watching adult swim again, speaking of that.

S-Sealab 2021? Adult Swim?

Here is a clue as to why I do not understand you: Chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim cheroo, time to go down the Dog and Duck for a pint of best. Mate.

(I will be very embarrassed if these things are not USA only)

Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2006, 12:38:20 am
oh goodness, I figured you still got it.

I almost used "chim chiminee... etc" in an english essay. it was pretty great.

also: wow, you're a funny guy.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Lister on May 17, 2006, 04:02:59 am
What people are going to find out is that the PS3 will be a VERY expensive platform to develop games for.  Not only does it have the most power (and thus require the highest quality art assets, which already account for most of the money that goes into making games), but that power is very difficult to "unlock," requiring a lot of custom code that is completely platform-dependent.

Games that are written for the PS3 and take full advantage of it will blow us all away visually (though they won't play like that Killzone trailer or the FFXIII trailer, which ARE NOT GAMEPLAY, PEOPLE), but they'll also cost $50 million or more to make.  They'll require specialized programmers to write for the two different processors in that box.  They'll require more time spent on art and technology to make that art extra shiny.  And none of that extra work would show up on the other consoles.

This will probably mean a higher percentage of exclusive titles for the PS3, but a lower number of titles overall, since small developers simply won't have the resources to make them.  I'm not sure how the smaller Japanese houses will react to this, as the PS1 and 2 have basically been their bread and butter for the past 10 years, but I hope that some of them will go to the Wii as their platform of choice.

Basically, at least in Japan, I see the Wii taking over as the platform that experimental games (Katamari, etc) go to and the PS3 will be where big budget sure fire hits go.  Over here it might be the 360, due to the larger install base and the ability to get small games through Live! Arcade.  Or maybe I'm wrong, and developers will be okay with making games that don't take advantage of the PS3's power.  That would also be an interesting first.

It's going to be very odd having such disparate power available -- I'm betting there will be very few games that come out for all 3 platforms, because it will be so difficult to maintain a similar look.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 17, 2006, 04:08:55 am
I was just reading an interview with someone at Valve who predicted that there would be very few exclusive titles for nextgen systems just because of the expense of developing a nextgen title.  So he forsees day-and-date multi-platform releases, since a lot of the expensive stuff (engine, level design, artwork) is platform agnostic.  They can develop stuff for the PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii, etc., and I'm not saying that the engine and code won't have to be re-written a lot, but a lot of the assets WON'T have to be re-done (at worst - they put higher res textures together for the PS3 and then downsample everything for the other platforms).

For example, the new Grand Theft Auto 4 will launch simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PS3.  I would expect that games would look a lot better on the PS3 than the Xbox, but maybe not.  It's not like the GTA games are *ever* at the far end of the graphics curve.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Doc on May 17, 2006, 04:15:59 am
We have sea lab and adult swim over here but only on cable (which not that many people have, though the numbers are on the rise).

Lister: While I'm a hardcore nintendo fanboy and have no intention of owning a playstation anything I think you might be wrong there in your assumption that games for ps3 will try to utilise it's full power. It will take years for people to really figure out how to use it (an obvious example from this generation: look at the difference between Halo 1 and 2) and I'm sure plenty of people won't even bother to figure out how if it's still got enough raw grunt to get the job done without any finesse. This doesn't mean that PS3 games won't be hellishly expensive to make but I don't see any reason they need to be more expensive than 360 games, presumably Wii games will require less complex assets so might be a bit cheaper but only time will tell there.
Mind you I certainly wouldn't be objecting to see the number of PS games dwindle a bit, my main objection to the original playstation was always that it just seemed to have way too many games that just weren't of any kind of quality, but having not owned one I could be wrong.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 17, 2006, 04:42:02 am
What I don't get about the PS3 is why they more or less abandoned OOOE for the Cell.  It doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seeing as how its a very new architecture, it seems like a lot of cycles are going to be burned waiting to sort out instructions that got lost.  I think John Carmack is on record saying that the PS3 is a beast to program for and that he much prefers the 360.  So with all this added to the ridiculous price, the almost-sure failure of Blu-Ray and the similarity of the competition in terms of graphical power I think Sony's got another Minidisk on its hands here.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on May 17, 2006, 12:54:23 pm
I haven't owned a system since SNES but I'm pulling for PS3 simply because Blu-Ray is the objectively superior DVD format and I'm hoping that PS3 becomes the "killer-ap" of sorts that forces it to become the standard.

Also, way too many people online have "Wii will rock you" avatars.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 17, 2006, 04:01:21 pm
Blu-Ray is also objectively more likely to make you buy a different copy of every movie for every player in your house.  Just saying is all...
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: jough on May 17, 2006, 04:02:31 pm
Yeah, HD-DVD isn't a next-gen format.  It's a last-gen format with slightly higher capacity. 

BRD is the future.  Like Betamax it's way better than its competition.  I just hope it wins (like the CD and DVD) and doesn't lose just because it's Sony (like the Minidisc, which is still the best format for live digital recording available today).
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on May 17, 2006, 04:36:01 pm
Yeah, HD-DVD isn't a next-gen format.  It's a last-gen format with slightly higher capacity. 

BRD is the future.  Like Betamax it's way better than its competition.  I just hope it wins (like the CD and DVD) and doesn't lose just because it's Sony (like the Minidisc, which is still the best format for live digital recording available today).

Because this bares repeating.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: Doc on May 18, 2006, 04:17:12 am
That doesn't mean it's actually worth having.
Minidisc might be superior but from what I've read sony's exhorbitant licensing fees basically priced them out of the market, I'm seeing a similar thing happening with umds.
People want superior quality in theory but most people will settle for less. My father recently bought his first dvd, he never would have done so if VHS was available. In his world he understands vhs and most importantly already has a vhs player. Backwards compatability will be very necessary to popularise this techn especially since DVDs are still relatively 'new' in many people's minds.
Title: Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
Post by: CortJstr on May 18, 2006, 12:56:14 pm
Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will be backwards compatible w/ current DVDs from what I've heard. As far as I can tell the only real difference (other than laser color) is capacity.