Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mommy I need to take a Wii.  (Read 8819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2006, 11:49:17 pm »

So, in other Nintendo news, they totally got me. I used some birthday money to buy a Nintendo DS with Mario Kart and Brain Age. The only reason I bought it, really, is that the news stories about Brain Age (which I keep spelling as "Brian Age"--who's Brian?) caught our attention (our indicating my wife and myself--Brian is not involved in that pronoun).
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 02:13:37 pm »

The Wii is the BIG HIT at E3.  No one gives a shit about the Xbox 360 (old news) or PS3.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e306-clips-e3-morning-stampede-173469.php

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 03:18:42 pm »

Being a Nintendo fan-boy at heart, this gave me a unwelcome, yet not altogether unpleasant, feeling of joy. Fuck you, Playstation!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 03:52:54 pm »

Being a Nintendo fan-boy at heart, this gave me a unwelcome, yet not altogether unpleasant, priapism. Fuck you, Playstation!
That's how I thought this whole bit was going to turn out.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 03:57:18 pm »

Mate! I should NOT have to be looking this stuff up on the Internet at such a young age! Seriously!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 08:06:58 pm »

Mate! I should NOT have to be looking this stuff up on the Internet! I should know this already!


Can you hang with the dirtiest dudes in town? We're about education.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 10:09:27 pm »

hm.

so, I know this word from Sealab 2021.
shame on you, judy. shame. you are under the age of 25 and you did not watch this show?

I need to start watching adult swim again, speaking of that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 10:18:33 pm »

hm.

so, I know this word from Sealab 2021.
shame on you, judy. shame. you are under the age of 25 and you did not watch this show?

I need to start watching adult swim again, speaking of that.

S-Sealab 2021? Adult Swim?

Here is a clue as to why I do not understand you: Chim chiminy chim chiminy chim chim cheroo, time to go down the Dog and Duck for a pint of best. Mate.

(I will be very embarrassed if these things are not USA only)

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:20 am »

oh goodness, I figured you still got it.

I almost used "chim chiminee... etc" in an english essay. it was pretty great.

also: wow, you're a funny guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 04:02:59 am »

What people are going to find out is that the PS3 will be a VERY expensive platform to develop games for.  Not only does it have the most power (and thus require the highest quality art assets, which already account for most of the money that goes into making games), but that power is very difficult to "unlock," requiring a lot of custom code that is completely platform-dependent.

Games that are written for the PS3 and take full advantage of it will blow us all away visually (though they won't play like that Killzone trailer or the FFXIII trailer, which ARE NOT GAMEPLAY, PEOPLE), but they'll also cost $50 million or more to make.  They'll require specialized programmers to write for the two different processors in that box.  They'll require more time spent on art and technology to make that art extra shiny.  And none of that extra work would show up on the other consoles.

This will probably mean a higher percentage of exclusive titles for the PS3, but a lower number of titles overall, since small developers simply won't have the resources to make them.  I'm not sure how the smaller Japanese houses will react to this, as the PS1 and 2 have basically been their bread and butter for the past 10 years, but I hope that some of them will go to the Wii as their platform of choice.

Basically, at least in Japan, I see the Wii taking over as the platform that experimental games (Katamari, etc) go to and the PS3 will be where big budget sure fire hits go.  Over here it might be the 360, due to the larger install base and the ability to get small games through Live! Arcade.  Or maybe I'm wrong, and developers will be okay with making games that don't take advantage of the PS3's power.  That would also be an interesting first.

It's going to be very odd having such disparate power available -- I'm betting there will be very few games that come out for all 3 platforms, because it will be so difficult to maintain a similar look.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 04:08:55 am »

I was just reading an interview with someone at Valve who predicted that there would be very few exclusive titles for nextgen systems just because of the expense of developing a nextgen title.  So he forsees day-and-date multi-platform releases, since a lot of the expensive stuff (engine, level design, artwork) is platform agnostic.  They can develop stuff for the PC, Xbox, PS3, Wii, etc., and I'm not saying that the engine and code won't have to be re-written a lot, but a lot of the assets WON'T have to be re-done (at worst - they put higher res textures together for the PS3 and then downsample everything for the other platforms).

For example, the new Grand Theft Auto 4 will launch simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PS3.  I would expect that games would look a lot better on the PS3 than the Xbox, but maybe not.  It's not like the GTA games are *ever* at the far end of the graphics curve.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 04:15:59 am »

We have sea lab and adult swim over here but only on cable (which not that many people have, though the numbers are on the rise).

Lister: While I'm a hardcore nintendo fanboy and have no intention of owning a playstation anything I think you might be wrong there in your assumption that games for ps3 will try to utilise it's full power. It will take years for people to really figure out how to use it (an obvious example from this generation: look at the difference between Halo 1 and 2) and I'm sure plenty of people won't even bother to figure out how if it's still got enough raw grunt to get the job done without any finesse. This doesn't mean that PS3 games won't be hellishly expensive to make but I don't see any reason they need to be more expensive than 360 games, presumably Wii games will require less complex assets so might be a bit cheaper but only time will tell there.
Mind you I certainly wouldn't be objecting to see the number of PS games dwindle a bit, my main objection to the original playstation was always that it just seemed to have way too many games that just weren't of any kind of quality, but having not owned one I could be wrong.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 04:42:02 am »

What I don't get about the PS3 is why they more or less abandoned OOOE for the Cell.  It doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seeing as how its a very new architecture, it seems like a lot of cycles are going to be burned waiting to sort out instructions that got lost.  I think John Carmack is on record saying that the PS3 is a beast to program for and that he much prefers the 360.  So with all this added to the ridiculous price, the almost-sure failure of Blu-Ray and the similarity of the competition in terms of graphical power I think Sony's got another Minidisk on its hands here.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 12:54:23 pm »

I haven't owned a system since SNES but I'm pulling for PS3 simply because Blu-Ray is the objectively superior DVD format and I'm hoping that PS3 becomes the "killer-ap" of sorts that forces it to become the standard.

Also, way too many people online have "Wii will rock you" avatars.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Mommy I need to take a Wii.
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 04:01:21 pm »

Blu-Ray is also objectively more likely to make you buy a different copy of every movie for every player in your house.  Just saying is all...
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up