The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: misterqueue on July 08, 2006, 04:53:40 pm

Title: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 08, 2006, 04:53:40 pm
But on my walk today, I could not resist snapping this shot. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/misterqueue/184796852/)

I changed the caption to suit me, but it still fits I think.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Doc on July 09, 2006, 02:16:21 pm
Dude, Bela Lugosi is dead.

Sorry that's all I've got.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 05:33:59 pm
Dude, Bela Lugosi is dead.

Sorry that's all I've got.

Strangely enough Martin Landau (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/) isn't!

That's okay.  At least you tried Doc.  Unlike all these other fucks!
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2006, 06:11:55 pm
But on my walk today, I could not resist snapping this shot. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/misterqueue/184796852/)

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I won't be there to see Steely Dan play in Houston next weekend.  Why you gotta be so cruel?

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 06:43:00 pm
Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I won't be there to see Steely Dan play in Houston next weekend.  Why you gotta be so cruel?

~Paul

I- I'm sorry....



but mostly that you like Steely Dan.   :P
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: V-Adore on July 09, 2006, 07:58:37 pm
The caption is pretty precious.

(Also: hi. I feel vaguely insulted that there's been no "Where's V?!" thread.)
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 08:00:38 pm
The caption is pretty precious.

(Also: hi. I feel vaguely insulted that there's been no "Where's V?!" thread.)

Hi V!  People had asked (mostly on IRC) and I think the consensus was that you had gradumamated and "stuff" was going down.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: V-Adore on July 09, 2006, 08:05:26 pm
Hi V!  People had asked (mostly on IRC) and I think the consensus was that you had gradumamated and "stuff" was going down.

For "stuff going down," please insert "my grandmother died very suddenly and we had to leave town in a rush."

... er, not to be a downer.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 08:07:19 pm
For "stuff going down," please insert "my grandmother died very suddenly and we had to leave town in a rush."

... er, not to be a downer.

Wow.. I-  I'm sorry.  Yeah, that... basically sucks.




... so Steely Dan huh?    No.. I can't come back from that.  Nevermind... sorry.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Doc on July 09, 2006, 10:47:12 pm
Woh, that does stone cold suck V. I had noticed you were gone by the way, just not a good enough friend to post a thread.
I almost went to another Bela Lugosi joke there but I need to keep reminding myself that not everyone deals with their grief with tasteless humour.

Steering the conversation back towards topic for a moment: Sarah Jessica Parker was in Ed Wood? That's kind of random. I really should see that movie, it's a personal failing of mine that I haven't yet.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Mite on July 09, 2006, 10:52:56 pm
Sorry about your grandma, V. Having some crazy midwestern relatives m'self, I'm sorry for what these last few weeks have put you through.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 11:08:39 pm
Steering the conversation back towards topic for a moment: Sarah Jessica Parker was in Ed Wood? That's kind of random. I really should see that movie, it's a personal failing of mine that I haven't yet.

A lot of people I know hate that movie to hell but I think it's basically pretty good.  Patricia Arquette is in it, as is Bill Murray, Ed Rooney from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the kid who played Vinnie on Doogie Howser M.D.

So yeah, despite Sarah Jessica Parker it's really quite good.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Mite on July 09, 2006, 11:41:43 pm
I was talking about Ed Wood with a friend the other day. Turns out the only reason he'd even heard of Orson Welles was from that movie. This man is 25 years old, and he's never heard of Citizen Kane? Or even the peas thing? Or, say, the voice of freakin' Unicron? I think I hid my astonishment pretty well.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 09, 2006, 11:42:29 pm
I was talking about Ed Wood with a friend the other day. Turns out the only reason he'd even heard of Orson Welles was from that movie. This man is 25 years old, and he's never heard of Citizen Kane? Or even the peas thing? Or, say, the voice of freakin' Unicron? I think I hid my astonishment pretty well.

Or even the constant Pinky and The Brain ripoffs?
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: jough on July 10, 2006, 02:00:06 am
Actually, V, in one of the angry religion threads we talked about where you might be.  I think someone said that you were on vacation and didn't have internet access.

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 02:44:20 am
I feel vaguely insulted that there's been no "Where's V?!" thread.

Actually, V, in one of the angry religion threads we talked about where you might be.  I think someone said that you were on vacation and didn't have internet access.

It was me, I asked about you (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2924.msg70039.html#msg70039).

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 02:47:00 am
I- I'm sorry.... but mostly that you like Steely Dan.   :P

Hey Steely Dan is really good music to smooth the ladies with.

...here come those Santa Ana winds again...

Ahh memories.

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: V-Adore on July 10, 2006, 03:25:49 am
I was talking about Ed Wood with a friend the other day. Turns out the only reason he'd even heard of Orson Welles was from that movie. This man is 25 years old, and he's never heard of Citizen Kane? Or even the peas thing? Or, say, the voice of freakin' Unicron? I think I hid my astonishment pretty well.

This is one of the saddest things. I've met people who think Citizen Kane sucks, which I think is pretty sad, but at least they've seen it. WTF?

(Also, thank you for condolences &c. All is well now.)
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: theinevitable on July 10, 2006, 05:05:45 am
I almost rented Citizen Kane today, but I was broke.

I love how this job sucks, and they have not paid me yet. Hm.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 06:40:04 am
I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul

I felt so threatened I created this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/PARADE_2006/IMAGES/1024/DSCN12543-E-S-1024.jpg) to compensate.

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Doc on July 10, 2006, 07:03:03 am
I've now got this image of Orson Welles reading this webpage through a time machine and wondering what works of his are still well known enough that people would be expected to know them without knowing who he is. 'Citizen Kane? Well I wish people wouldn't keep bringing it up, but fair enough what else... What the hell's a Unicron?... PEAS?!' Then Cyborg Welles goes back in time and kills our parents. Just thought I'd share.

Inev: You've been there over a month now haven't you? I wouldn't put up with that kind of crap for too long. Personally for straight out of school no experience work major chains are a better bet (in my limited experience) than smaller places, the work is just as crappy and you even more of a number but most of them have figured out that fuck*ng their employees around is more hassle than it's worth.

Paul: I thought that image was pretty cool until I started noticing the painted birds were not just on the car, my mind was unable to deal with this and just went into OOOooooh SHiiiiiit mode for five minutes so, yeah thanks for breaking my brain. You are still, of course, the master.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Mite on July 10, 2006, 10:13:26 am
Ok dude, cough up the sweet story behind the sweet picture!

And yeah, The Inev, if they're treating you like shit now, just wait til you've been around awhile. Get some answers.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 10:39:45 am
I felt so threatened I created this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/PARADE_2006/IMAGES/1024/DSCN12543-E-S-1024.jpg) to compensate.

~Paul

Oh Shiiiiiiiiiit! 

Is it on now?  Is it on... like Donkey Kong?
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Drygioni on July 10, 2006, 12:28:09 pm
If Becker and Fagen had grown up in Germany, they would be releasing albums called Computer World and The Man Machine.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2006, 02:55:32 pm
Yeah, Paul, that picture is hella messed up.  It looks like the parrot is stealing her muffler, which I think you should warn her about.

It says something about a person who can put paint to their new car, and what is says is awsome.  They are not chained down by societies rules, man! 

Also, I would love to learn about how to paint one's own car.  Of the cars I have seen, there is clearly a proper process one can follow so as not to have it all peel half off and look shitty.  Since my dad taught autobody for many years, I'm pretty sure he'd fall to pieces (or at the very least refuse to help me fix my car for free) if I drove up with a mural painted on my car, but I am still facinated with how one does this.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: theinevitable on July 10, 2006, 03:27:04 pm
yeah, not really a month. More like... 2 weeks? I mean, I'm just being bitchy about it because I want some goddamn spending money. I mean... CDs are calling me.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 03:38:46 pm
Back to the topic at hand, I have realized, through vigorous Flickr searching that approximately 85% of the populace doesn't know the definition of surreal.


Fuckers, all of them.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: jough on July 10, 2006, 03:50:55 pm
Yeah, Paul desperately needs a Flickr account so that strangers on the internet (I mean strangers other than us) can comment on them and enjoy them too.

I mean seriously, how many of Paul's photos do you think would make the Explore pages there?  All of them?
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 04:03:10 pm
Yeah, Paul desperately needs a Flickr account so that strangers on the internet (I mean strangers other than us) can comment on them and enjoy them too.

I mean seriously, how many of Paul's photos do you think would make the Explore pages there?  All of them?


Yeah.. despite talkin' trash I would not want to pit my photos against Paul's in a cage match.  Sheer volume alone would overwhelm me, not to mention delightful content.

Paul, this must be done.  Flickr is your destiny, do not turn away!
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: CortJstr on July 10, 2006, 04:47:51 pm
Back to the topic at hand, I have realized, through vigorous Flickr searching that approximately 85% of the populace doesn't know the definition of surreal.


Fuckers, all of them.

How ironic.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 04:51:04 pm
How ironic.

I swear, I will stab you for this... one day... one day soon.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Hobot on July 10, 2006, 05:03:18 pm
yeah, not really a month. More like... 2 weeks? I mean, I'm just being bitchy about it because I want some goddamn spending money. I mean... CDs are calling me.

In my experience, crappy minimum wage-type jobs hand out the paychecks about every two weeks (unless you're not around to collect it because you have to go out of state to college, in which case they may or may not mail it to you if and when they feel like it).  Mostly I'm still trying to get over the fact that this is your first job.  Not that I haven't been living on Easy Street all my damn life, but I still had a part-time job (even during the school year!) starting in the tenth grade.  Your parents might be more easygoing than mine, though.

This is not a criticism, theinevitable.  This is a... FACT!
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 05:12:37 pm
Suggestion Taken (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20698962@N00/186545826/)

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Hobot on July 10, 2006, 05:15:30 pm
Suggestion Taken (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20698962@N00/186545826/)

~Paul

So will you be adding other photos as well?  If this is the case, consider yourself FRIEND'D!
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 05:19:06 pm
consider yourself FRIEND'D!

Gawrsh!

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: jough on July 10, 2006, 06:09:55 pm
Yeah, you're friended, dude.

The reason that I joined Flickr when I have my own web servers with pretty much limitless storage is that I like the social aspects of it, sharing photos with others and having people stumple upon mine. 

If you join some groups and add your photos to the group pools you can attract a LOT of attention to your photos.

I actually got a job interview out of my Flickr photos - someone contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in working for/with them.

Anyway, I love the interaction and fun that Flickr provides.  I'm sure you'll meet other interesting and like-minded people there.  I'd be very much surprised if there wasn't at least one or two art car groups on there.

Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: misterqueue on July 10, 2006, 06:12:43 pm
Groups is something I've yet to get too heavily into.  I am frightened by the magnitude of those things.  Plus everyone basically has better cameras and more interesting shots.  Still though, an interesting idea.

Also: Friended.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Hobot on July 10, 2006, 06:13:48 pm
The reason that I joined Flickr when I have my own web servers with pretty much limitless storage is that I like the social aspects of it, sharing photos with others and having people stumple upon mine. 

If you join some groups and add your photos to the group pools you can attract a LOT of attention to your photos.

Yeah, like how one of your photos was on the Explore page the other day, you bastard.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: jough on July 10, 2006, 06:14:50 pm
Was it?
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: Hobot on July 10, 2006, 06:20:36 pm
Was it?

Yep, this'un (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jough/177919554/).

Interestingly enough, I pass a sign each day on the way home from work that has met with a similar fate.  It's not as good as yours, though, because it is a yellow sign, and the traces of the missing letters are much more obvious.
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: V-Adore on July 10, 2006, 09:15:55 pm
Wow, yeah, that parakeet's totally just going to take off with her muffler. My concern is, what the hell is he going to use it for?
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2006, 09:28:26 pm
I'm pretty sure that "muffler" is a roll of paper towels.  It's not the muffler from that brand new vehicle and it's certianly not a muffler to protect one from the cold in Houston in May.

~Paul
Title: Re: I am sorry to steal your Schtick Paul
Post by: V-Adore on July 10, 2006, 09:34:25 pm
I'm pretty sure that "muffler" is a roll of paper towels.  It's not the muffler from that brand new vehicle and it's certianly not a muffler to protect one from the cold in Houston in May.

Well, yes, and the bird is two-dimensional, and parakeets are not the size of paper towel rolls generally. Free your mind and apply some imagination to the task, dude!