The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on July 17, 2006, 03:48:52 am

Title: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 17, 2006, 03:48:52 am
This arc (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07172006) is only a rough chuckle because I've had a death in the family paralleling Mr. Fontanette's demise.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: mrdna1 on July 17, 2006, 04:01:15 am
It certainly adds another few items to the Achewood slang list, if nothing else.

And why is Ray holding his phone out in front of him like a walkie-talkie? Or wearing a T-shirt, for that matter?
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: jough on July 17, 2006, 04:02:37 am
This shit is the Bahamas, man.

The fuck*ng Bahamas.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: misterqueue on July 17, 2006, 04:15:03 am
Spiked collar?  WTF?  Is Beef suddenly Bowzer from Sha Na Na?
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2006, 04:25:42 am
I am desperately fond of the idea that the most "stone" anything could be is "Druids on Easter Island." Otherwise... yeah. These chuckles? They're rough.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 17, 2006, 05:04:49 am
Spiked collar?  WTF?  Is Beef suddenly Bowzer from Sha Na Na?
I think it's a list (collar, spikes) of proper golf wear.
(http://www.footwearboutique.com/ecco177wtbd.jpg)
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2006, 05:10:37 am
hm, so, this new Beef facial expression really bothers me.

and it bothers me equally that I noticed it. Have we seen this before? the one in panel 3? it looks too... I don't know. not Achewood.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: mrdna1 on July 17, 2006, 05:15:33 am
hm, so, this new Beef facial expression really bothers me.

and it bothers me equally that I noticed it. Have we seen this before? the one in panel 3? it looks too... I don't know. not Achewood.
You mean the little :-\ that he does? I'd rather see that than no mouth at all (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07132006) (third-to-last panel) ... that's just kinda strange.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2006, 05:56:10 am
dude, yes! that's why it looked wierd!

I like neither of these.

I am in a wierd critical mood lately. today was the first time that a specific thing in a movie annoyed me so much that I couldn't enjoy the rest of it. Why do people use voiceovers? WTF, Shopgirl?
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Doc on July 17, 2006, 08:47:46 am
This strip was rough chuckles but it always kind of throws me when they make overt references to the fact that these are talking cats.
Maybe it's just that I don't like to see Onstad go down the 'haha they think they are people' road, as the movie Cars proved things that people would do do not become funny just because non-humans are doing them.
And I think the spikes referred to the collar but I'm willing to be wrong because the shoes would be a much classier move.

Also I didn't get what fairway referred to at first, I thought it was some kind of highway or something and that got me thinking about what kind of game he'd be playing I was all 'Wait, was he a dog? Are they referring to chasing cars now? I thought dogs were all idiots in the achewood universe?'
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: ananke on July 17, 2006, 09:19:05 am
I think it's a list (collar, spikes) of proper golf wear.

Pretty sure he just means collared shirt and cleats.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Hobot on July 17, 2006, 11:38:46 am
Scared Heart Syndrome is when the heart breaks off to try to escape the attack; Sacred Heart Syndrome, on the other hand, is a heart attack induced by the unbearable weight of guilt upon your very soul.

I am pretty sure that the sentence "Wear a collar, spikes OK" can be interpreted like one of those lazy newspaper sentences in which journalists use commas to replace the word "and."  I believe it also implies that it is not such a sombre service that a relaxing game of golf afterward is not permitted.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: dejavroom on July 17, 2006, 12:18:58 pm
"Who ate it" made my day. I love the talking cats.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: jough on July 17, 2006, 12:34:56 pm
I believe it also implies that it is not such a sombre service that a relaxing game of golf afterward is not permitted.

I think it means that they are having the service on a golf course and that you should be properly attired as such.

However, golf afterwards will be de rigueur.

I mean, this is Ray and friends we're talking about.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2006, 01:11:10 pm
It certainly adds another few items to the Achewood slang list, if nothing else.

And why is Ray holding his phone out in front of him like a walkie-talkie? Or wearing a T-shirt, for that matter?

Because Ray is, if nothing else, an ass. I frickin' hate people who do this. Yes, your phone has a speaker function, good for you. That doesn't mean that you're required to hold it 2 feet from your head so we can all hear you yelling into it and the tinny voice coming out.

I'm also going to assume that by collar Ray means a polo/golf shirt, not a real collared shirt.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Hobot on July 17, 2006, 01:22:50 pm
Because Ray is, if nothing else, an ass. I frickin' hate people who do this. Yes, your phone has a speaker function, good for you. That doesn't mean that you're required to hold it 2 feet from your head so we can all hear you yelling into it and the tinny voice coming out.

I'm also going to assume that by collar Ray means a polo/golf shirt, not a real collared shirt.

It is delightfully appropriate, considering the tone of your post, that the last song that you listened to, as displayed in your sig, is called "Half Asleep and Pissed Off."

By "real collared shirt," do you mean a button-down, Oxford cloth-type habiliment?
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: jough on July 17, 2006, 01:26:41 pm
I'm thinking more like a GOLF SHIRT considering they're having the ceremony on the GOLF COURSE.

(http://www.evertize.com/blanks/images/37000.jpg)
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2006, 01:28:40 pm
Sacred Heart Syndrome, on the other hand, is a heart attack induced by the unbearable weight of guilt upon your very soul.


Sacred Heart Syndrome is caused by hormonal stress induced by lusting after Catholic High School girls in plaid skirts.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Hobot on July 17, 2006, 01:44:07 pm
I'm thinking more like a GOLF SHIRT considering they're having the ceremony on the GOLF COURSE.

Well obviously.  I was asking for clarification regarding what a "real collared shirt" represents.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2006, 02:03:45 pm
It is delightfully appropriate, considering the tone of your post, that the last song that you listened to, as displayed in your sig, is called "Half Asleep and Pissed Off."

By "real collared shirt," do you mean a button-down, Oxford cloth-type habiliment?

It is early so I am not fully awake. And I'm generally mad at the world about something so it totally works. Although I do find it amusing that the song title sounds like something a rap-metal band would release.

It wasn't necessarily thinking button down, althouth that's certainly optional. It worked for Bob Newhart.

I have to wear a golf/polo shirt to work most days and I don't really see the point. It's not like I'm going to slap on a tie under that tiny collar that never stays folded down right so why not just let us wear plain t-shirts?
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: misterqueue on July 17, 2006, 02:11:21 pm
Sacred Heart Syndrome is caused by hormonal stress induced by lusting after Catholic High School girls in plaid skirts.

You're tellin' me because man I know tha-


Er.. I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about.  None.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 17, 2006, 02:16:30 pm
I think it means that they are having the service on a golf course and that you should be properly attired as such.

However, golf afterwards will be de rigueur.

I mean, this is Ray and friends we're talking about.


My ghost will be pissed if people DON'T play golf after my funeral.  Or, for the kids, a trip to the batting cages.  I might be dead, but life goes on.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: linnea on July 19, 2006, 04:04:15 am
Man, I totally took the punchline for granted. Then again, my dad once designed golf courses for a living, and although I've only been to a few hoity-toity country clubs, you can't show up for any decent tee time in denim, sneakers, or a t-shirt. You have to be properly attired. That's what they mean by a collar -- just like jough said, it's a collared shirt. And you CANNOT wear regular shoes on a green. Once you understand how hard the maintenance guys have to work to keep that green looking pretty, you simply must wear cleated golf shoes. Your nasty old Reeboks will crush the grass and ruin the hell out of it. The cleats help keep the grass looking decent and playable for the next party.

Nobody wears a button-down oxford shirt on the course, that's just ridiculous. Fellows and ladies change out of their workaday clothes and into golf attire for a day on the green.

Golf to today's culture is what tennis was in the '80s. Sure, you can head on down to the local community center and learn how, but there's a certain way that polite society has to throw down the special rules. Hence the attire.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: smick on July 19, 2006, 04:07:02 am
And on the other side of the coin, I golf in a kilt (one of those modern jobbies), t-shirt, and skate shoes.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: jough on July 19, 2006, 01:05:20 pm
Yes, but you're one of those unfortunates who they put up with until you no longer serve as a source of amusment to your betters.
Title: Re: 20060717: Druid people at Easter Island
Post by: smick on July 19, 2006, 02:43:53 pm
Yes, but you're one of those unfortunates who they put up with until you no longer serve as a source of amusment to your betters.

That extends to the golf course, too?