The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 05:00:51 pm

Title: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 05:00:51 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08072006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08072006)

Not sure about the subject line for this, so any better suggestions are appreciated! I did my best.

So now, we just wait for Pat's 26th birthday. Pat is definitely the kind of guy who has a birthday party with a big speech at the end.

I like how that even in 1328 Pat's ancestors wore glasses, and that the commoners wore the Victorian style muttonchops. This isn't a thinly veiled attempt at pointing out mistakes. It just makes things work, in an Achewood way.

Edit: Forgot the bloody link. Sorry.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 05:05:30 pm
dang. I was sitting here, a tab open, thinking "what websites have I not checked today?"
and a scant few minutes later, our own Judy beat me to the punch. Oh well.

pretty... funny?

My iPod is broken. I guess that's like... being a gay dude who doesn't get any?
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2006, 05:12:49 pm
So how old is Pat now? Because I'm thinking that the curse kicked in a few years ago.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 05:18:41 pm
So how old is Pat now? Because I'm thinking that the curse kicked in a few years ago.

I'm under the impression that this is the kind of curse which you can't really suppress and so it is still to happen, but you're a lot smarter than me so I think I'm probably the only one thinking this.

(If you were joking then I apologise for taking it over seriously)
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: misterqueue on August 07, 2006, 05:35:56 pm
I'm pretty sure if anyone could suppress a curse, it'd be Pat.  ("Mr. President, I figured if anyone knew where to get some Tang, it'd be you...")

Not funny ha-ha, but it's a setup strip, I shall withhold judgement until these events hold themselves to be self(creationarily)evident!

Right-o... I shouldn't even be allowed to post today.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: mrchee on August 07, 2006, 05:48:03 pm
Despite the delightful backstory I am simply furious that Pat is gay

My iPod is broken. I guess that's like... being a gay dude who doesn't get any?

No it is like a dude who can't stop thinking of Sean Astin in "Click" and does not want to ask himself why

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/kingbiff/SPEE-DONT.jpg (http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/kingbiff/SPEE-DONT.jpg)
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 07, 2006, 06:12:15 pm

No it is like a dude who can't stop thinking of Sean Astin in "Click" and does not want to ask himself why


On an unrelated note, I once met Sean Astin's mother.  She was very nice.  She smoked a lot.  One right after the other.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2006, 06:19:44 pm
On an unrelated note, I once met Sean Astin's mother.  She was very nice.  She smoked a lot.  One right after the other.

Patty Duke?
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 06:53:47 pm
in a doubly-related story, my friend was staying with a german family for 2 weeks.
he turns off the shower, is about to towel himself off, when the german dude busts into the bathroom. naked. and says "one after ze other, ja? ze water will get cold!"

I can do a really good imitation of his voice, but you cannot hear it.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2006, 07:18:41 pm
I'm under the impression that this is the kind of curse which you can't really suppress and so it is still to happen, but you're a lot smarter than me so I think I'm probably the only one thinking this.

(If you were joking then I apologise for taking it over seriously)

I think the curse kicked in a few years ago but that's Pat's personality is such a force of nature that he's able to surpress the gayness via the power of barely contained rage. Hence Pat's "true self" in the photograph a few days ago. Although you will notice that we've never seen Pat date any ladies, so he's supressing the gayness but not reversing it.

Also, I don't know if I like the idea of posts where I equate being gay and a curse being saved onto the internet for posterity. Future generations may not have the comic strip for conext. Attention Future Generations: I do not thinkg being gay is a curse. Also, I've apparently been reading too much Dinosaur Comics. Thank you.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: misterqueue on August 07, 2006, 07:28:17 pm
Also, I've apparently been reading too much Dinosaur Comics. Thank you.

Also known as ANY Dinosaur Comics.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Hobot on August 07, 2006, 07:29:31 pm
I like how that even in 1328 Pat's ancestors wore glasses, and that the commoners wore the Victorian style muttonchops. This isn't a thinly veiled attempt at pointing out mistakes. It just makes things work, in an Achewood way.

Judy, Judy, Judy.  You of all people should know that, to this day, all Englishmen are required by law to have muttonchops.  Why, soon you'll have your very own!

With regard to the strip itself, the trailing-off "QUEEEEEEEER" was a nice touch.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2006, 07:42:42 pm

Also, I don't know if I like the idea of posts where I equate being gay and a curse being saved onto the internet for posterity. Future generations may not have the comic strip for conext.

What kind of disaster would spare the messageboard for posterity and yet destroy the comic?  Much as I love us, I hope I do not have to live in such a future.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 07, 2006, 07:49:04 pm
Patty Duke?

Yea.  She was performing in "Glass Menagerie" in the upstairs theater, while I was working on "Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspere (Abrgd.)" in the downstairs theater, here in town.

The scene shop also doubles as an indoor smoking area, so we smoked a lot of cigarettes.   We weren't like, SUPERPALS! or anything, because, I was a 23 year old kid, and she's much older, and kind of ... intense.  Understandable since this is during intermissions.

The only conversation we had was when she asked me my name.   I said "Sean." She said, "Oh... My son's name is Sean."  Then we went back to smoking in silence, and looking at all the dusty props hung on the walls.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: V-Adore on August 07, 2006, 08:01:58 pm
C'mon, no commentary about Pat's ancestor's fabulous hat? For a while I thought he was wearing an old-timey aviation cap, and even now I'm not sure what to make of this particular development. Also, I have to admit, the idea of this being an authentic 14th-century admonishment makes me laugh. Other than that... it's been a good setup strip in what has thus far proven to be a surprisingly engaging little storyline.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: jough on August 07, 2006, 08:39:37 pm
Isn't Patty Duke like, way more famous than her son?  Isn't Sean Astin like, "Patty Duke's son" and not she being "Sean's mother"?

WTF?

Also, this strip... ho-hum.  Crappy curse, crappy castle rendering, mild smirk of a punchline.

C-
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 07, 2006, 08:45:15 pm
I enjoyed the understatement, which is why I put it that way.  Of course, the younger folk are more likely to know Sean Astin, since the world didn't begin until they invented color TV.

Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: Roger on August 07, 2006, 08:52:23 pm
Isn't Patty Duke like, way more famous than her son?  Isn't Sean Astin like, "Patty Duke's son" and not she being "Sean's mother"?

It's like those critical days back in the 90s when Bob Dylan risked becoming "Jakob's father". But the universe managed to restore the natural order of things eventually.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2006, 09:05:50 pm
I suppose I should fulfill my obligation as World's - well, Board's - Oldest Fart by popping in to mention that I have no idea who Sean Astin is.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 07, 2006, 09:10:41 pm
He was one of the Goonies, also one of the Hobbits. 

He was the chubby hobbit that wanted Maximum Cuddles with Frodo.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 07, 2006, 09:15:03 pm
He was one of the Goonies, also one of the Hobbits. 

He was the chubby hobbit that wanted Maximum Cuddles with Frodo.

In other words, Wombat's cousin.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2006, 09:23:57 pm
He was the chubby hobbit that wanted Maximum Cuddles with Frodo.

Doesn't help.  In My Day, hobbits were not played by actors.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 07, 2006, 09:40:53 pm
I'm exausted at that point.

I think that kind of proves Jough's point with the "Sean Astin's Mom" vs. "Patty Duke's Son" thing.  I think it also could be expressed with a Venn diagram.

Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2006, 10:00:38 pm
Also, I don't know if I like the idea of posts where I equate being gay and a curse being saved onto the internet for posterity.

You forget that in the future, sarcasm will be presumed at all times unless otherwise delineated. All will be well.

Until I build that time machine and prevent "Family Guy" from ever being... but at that point, everyone will be so happy to be in a Family Guy-less world, that people will let little thing like that slide, CJ. They won't remember the atrocity I wiped out but, on some subconscious level, they will know that something terrible and lazy isn't around and joy will creep up from the Jungian Lower Dimensions and into our world. Gay folks will be too busy enjoying new episodes of "Futurama" and that cartoon Phil Hendrie was gonna do and... generally not hating all of humanity because no person has yet been able to prevent Family Guy from happening.

Root for the time machine. Root for the time machine.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 10:42:09 pm
Judy, Judy, Judy.  You of all people should know that, to this day, all Englishmen are required by law to have muttonchops.  Why, soon you'll have your very own!

What makes you think I haven't already?
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Hobot on August 07, 2006, 10:46:13 pm
What makes you think I haven't already?

Pix plz.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: Lister on August 07, 2006, 11:01:33 pm
Wow, and here I had been thinking that Sean was John Astin's son.  Patty Duke never entered my mental equation.

So let's see:

John Astin: Gomez Addams, Harry's dad on Night Court
Sean Astin: Mikey in the Goonies, Sam the hobbit
Patty Duke: Likes to rock and roll, a hot dog makes her lose control

Also, 26 is a poor year to get the gay.  It is old enough to have a "normal" life to disrupt, but young enough to have a long time to live with the consequences of such a change.  If it had been, say, 18, the curse probably would have died out relatively soon due to the not liking womens factor leading to lack of heirs.  This curse was well planned.

Of course, it seems like it has indeed ended with Pat.  So.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Omegatron on August 07, 2006, 11:27:49 pm
So there is a bloodline of gayness?  Not to be a homophobe or anything, but isn't that kind of... self-contradicting?
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2006, 11:34:52 pm
Wow, and here I had been thinking that Sean was John Astin's son. 


He is.  Sort of.  I think.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2006, 11:56:19 pm
So there is a bloodline of gayness?  Not to be a homophobe or anything, but isn't that kind of... self-contradicting?

A lot of gay folks (one of my aunts, for example) end up having kids in an attempt to conform to the status quo before they finally decide to be true to themselves. Also, a lot of gay folks end up being parents themselves (i.e., lesbians getting artificially inseminated, and gay couples of both genders adopting kids).

In Pat's family tree, the men grow up "straight" until they hit 26, and then they must have the Great Gaywakening. That must be why Simon had Pat and then finally came out some years later.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2006, 12:29:14 am
Also, 26 is a poor year to get the gay.  It is old enough to have a "normal" life to disrupt, but young enough to have a long time to live with the consequences of such a change.  If it had been, say, 18, the curse probably would have died out relatively soon due to the not liking womens factor leading to lack of heirs.  This curse was well planned.

Of course, it seems like it has indeed ended with Pat.  So.

Is it clear that this is really the end, though? Although it seems like lines this way would die out pretty fast, it also seems unlikely that in the 600+ years of this curse kicking around that there would still be only one patrilineal branch of this family left. It's not improbable that the cursed sons may have had two sons before turning 26 (or even after, if they were already married and they needed more sons to, uh, direct the plow, or whatever all those farm boys did in the preindustrial era). Pat's referenced having a sister, so (unless she's actually a half-sister on his mother's side) presumably even Simon managed to have two kids. There may be yet lines of Reynoldses afflicted.

Besides, the real issue with Pat breeding isn't that he is/will be gay (do we know whether he's 26 yet?), it's that he's a colossal dick. Any lady he was close enough to to possibly breed with would turn out to be a secret barber-sympathizer, or something, and it'd all collapse messily in yelling and stomp-offs at the veglegon restaurant.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: misterqueue on August 08, 2006, 12:31:51 am
and it'd all collapse messily in yelling and stomp-offs at the veglegon restaurant.

Not to mention that Roast Beef would probably accidentally get shot again.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: Lister on August 08, 2006, 12:49:29 am
Yeah, I basically can't see Pat having offspring in any circumstance.  The dude is constantly furious, and this does not help ladies/fellows want to make it with you, as I understand it.  Pat is that guy in the one episode of the Twilight Zone, where he wishes everyone in the world was like him, but when it happens he is just an asshole surrounded by assholes and no one is happy.  MORAL GOES HERE

Like I said before, I think pat's hetero/homosexuality merely determines what gender he can't imagine doing something so base with.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 08, 2006, 01:07:34 am
Not to mention that Roast Beef would probably accidentally get shot again.
Pat has killed for less.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: mrdna1 on August 08, 2006, 03:32:35 am
So there is a bloodline of gayness?  Not to be a homophobe or anything, but isn't that kind of... self-contradicting?

You think that's odd, imagine a cat who can talk and drive an Escalade. Or perhaps a stuffed tiger who drinks too much alcohol? Or maybe ... just maybe even a cat with hell of depression who enjoys programming computers and has a girlfriend who is legally dead.

I think those are the mysteries we need to focus on here, folks.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 08, 2006, 03:37:32 am
Well, as far as 26 being a crap time to gaywaken (henceforth: gwake, gwaken, or gwaked, to be pronounced with a long a vowel sound) it is my understanding that gay death happens at 30. 

What a truly horrible curse, to be agwokened a short 4 years before g'death.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2006, 03:51:36 am
Well, as far as 26 being a crap time to gaywaken (henceforth: gwake, gwaken, or gwaked, to be pronounced with a long a vowel sound) it is my understanding that gay death happens at 30. 

What a truly horrible curse, to be agwokened a short 4 years before g'death.

You make it sound like a pretentious artsy/"punk" roleplaying game there, dude.

"At 26, one comes to understand their true self -- you, one of a select few carriers of a curse as old as time, become Gaywakened. Yet in the darkness looms your future, the Gay Death, only 4 years away. Can you make the most of this cruel twist of fate? Find out when you play... REYNOLDS: THE GAYWAKENING"
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: misterqueue on August 08, 2006, 03:57:13 am
V has clearly never done any LARPing... none at all.  Never.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: smick on August 08, 2006, 04:20:56 am
You make it sound like a pretentious artsy/"punk" roleplaying game there, dude.

"At 26, one comes to understand their true self -- you, one of a select few carriers of a curse as old as time, become Gaywakened. Yet in the darkness looms your future, the Gay Death, only 4 years away. Can you make the most of this cruel twist of fate? Find out when you play... REYNOLDS: THE GAYWAKENING"

I am very interested in purchasing the source books and several other products in this line.

Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: oball on August 08, 2006, 04:40:05 am
C'mon, no commentary about Pat's ancestor's fabulous hat? For a while I thought he was wearing an old-timey aviation cap, and even now I'm not sure what to make of this particular development.

It made me think of Baldrick from Blackadder.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 08, 2006, 02:03:20 pm
Besides, the real issue with Pat breeding isn't that he is/will be gay (do we know whether he's 26 yet?), it's that he's a colossal dick. Any lady he was close enough to to possibly breed with would turn out to be a secret barber-sympathizer, or something, and it'd all collapse messily in yelling and stomp-offs at the veglegon restaurant.

Well, wait there bucko. Just because he or she may disgust (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/03/why-do-fat-women-always-think-they.html) or uh... further disgust (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/07/swinging.html) Pat, doesn't mean he won't be attracted (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2004/08/goin-to-see-pat-in-leg-rehab.html) to that person. Even if it's ridiculous. (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/10/fantasies-are-ridiculous.html)
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: theinevitable on August 08, 2006, 02:14:08 pm
dude, how did I miss a blog entry where arrosto beef says that Pat likes to J/O?
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 08, 2006, 03:56:00 pm
t'd all collapse messily in yelling and stomp-offs at the veglegon restaurant.

I hear he's eating seafood (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/02/screw-heartburn.html) these days.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an iPod!
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2006, 04:17:36 pm
You make it sound like a pretentious artsy/"punk" roleplaying game there, dude.

"At 26, one comes to understand their true self -- you, one of a select few carriers of a curse as old as time, become Gaywakened. Yet in the darkness looms your future, the Gay Death, only 4 years away. Can you make the most of this cruel twist of fate? Find out when you play... REYNOLDS: THE GAYWAKENING"

Man, Pat got one hell of a roll on the Tragedie (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2006/02/great-new-game.html). It was teetering on Caul-veil Birth but then at the last moment fell over to Gaywakening.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2006, 09:31:42 pm
Well, wait there bucko. Just because he or she may disgust (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/03/why-do-fat-women-always-think-they.html) or uh... further disgust (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/07/swinging.html) Pat, doesn't mean he won't be attracted (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2004/08/goin-to-see-pat-in-leg-rehab.html) to that person. Even if it's ridiculous. (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/10/fantasies-are-ridiculous.html)


Oh, I'm not saying Pat wouldn't be attracted to theoretically-breedable-with ladies, just that he would never get to the point of actually breeding with them. Inevitably they would fail some sort of personal cleanliness guideline or he would have a rage attack or something such that mad ruttiness would never happen, thus no chance of a further generation of Reynoldses barring some kind of audacious and bizarre sperm theft.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: mrchee on August 09, 2006, 03:32:59 am
Oh, I'm not saying Pat wouldn't be attracted to theoretically-breedable-with ladies, just that he would never get to the point of actually breeding with them. Inevitably they would fail some sort of personal cleanliness guideline or he would have a rage attack or something such that mad ruttiness would never happen, thus no chance of a further generation of Reynoldses barring some kind of audacious and bizarre sperm theft.

Pat is probably the kind of guy who donates sperm regularly to "improve the gene pool"
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: dairyquest on August 09, 2006, 04:36:52 am
Certainly at least one of you in the literary crowd has picked out the esteemed H.P. Lovecraft's "The Alchemist" as the source for this arc.  The relevant text posted below:

"One night the castle on the hill was thrown into the wildest confusion by the vanishment of young Godfrey, son to Henri, the Count. A searching party, headed by the frantic father, invaded the cottage of the sorcerers and there came upon old Michel Mauvais, busy over a huge and violently boiling cauldron. Without certain cause, in the ungoverned madness of fury and despair, the Count laid hands on the aged wizard, and ere he released his murderous hold, his victim was no more. Meanwhile, joyful servants were proclaiming the finding of young Godfrey in a distant and unused chamber of the great edifice, telling too late that poor Michel had been killed in vain. As the Count and his associates turned away from the lowly abode of the alchemist, the form of Charles Le Sorcier appeared through the trees. The excited chatter of the menials standing about told him what had occurred, yet he seemed at first unmoved at his father's fate. Then, slowly advancing to meet the Count, he pronounced in dull yet terrible accents the curse that ever afterward haunted the house of C-.

    'May ne'er a noble of thy murd'rous line
    Survive to reach a greater age than thine!'

spake he, when, suddenly leaping backwards into the black woods, he drew from his tunic a phial of colourless liquid which he threw into the face of his father's slayer as he disappeared behind the inky curtain of the night. The Count died without utterance, and was buried the next day, but little more than two and thirty years from the hour of his birth. No trace of the assassin could be found, though relentless bands of peasants scoured the neighboring woods and the meadowland around the hill."

While the fatal age here is thirty-two, whether Onstad's twenty-six has any significance is yet to be determined.  Also, I'm really looking forward to see how the thrillingly over-the-top climax of "The Alchemist" recurs in the Achewood variation.
Title: Re: 7th August 2006- These days, bein' gay is, like, one better than having an i
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 09, 2006, 05:17:42 am
I hear there are echoes of Greek literary tradition in Nate Small, too.