The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: guns and cigarettes on September 07, 2006, 05:16:39 am

Title: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: guns and cigarettes on September 07, 2006, 05:16:39 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09072006

I like where this is going, although there isn't a whole lot of funny going on here.

Also, Pat looks and seems different now that he's gay. Gays are level-headed.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 07, 2006, 05:36:44 am
  I hate this new Pat!
   Come on Onstad, we know he's getting it in the can but that shouldn't result in brain damage!
   Sorry, rant over...
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: bonaparte on September 07, 2006, 05:46:44 am
Why are they upset?  Beef's been dead so many times he's probably worn an ass-groove in the couch in the afterlife.  Or does a Margeaux dog sighting mean the cat will die and go to a place from which return is not possible?  And why does taking it in the can mean that Pat starts shopping at J. Crew?
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Dexter on September 07, 2006, 05:54:37 am
   Come on Onstad, we know he's getting it in the can but that shouldn't result in brain damage!
Unless he had his head up his ass.

*badum-tsh*
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: mrdna1 on September 07, 2006, 05:54:45 am
I didn't realize that was Pat at first ... I thought it was the chaplain that Beef mentioned.

Really, what the fuck is with this new Pat? I want him to complain about how he's missing "Trials of Honour" and how Ray and Beef are just being needlessly superstitious and GODDAMNIT A BARBER CUT ME OFF ON THE HIGHWAY HE WAS PROBABLY COMMITTING LEWD ACTS WITH HIS HAIR DRYER.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: V-Adore on September 07, 2006, 06:22:19 am
My suspicion is that Onstad just got tired of writing overblown-crank Pat and is letting him be calm and rational sometimes, at least as related to Ray and Beef. This strikes me as fair; crank!Pat must be totally exhausting to write.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a nacho-hair cop-out. I'm braced for major events at this point.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Drastic Action on September 07, 2006, 07:46:04 am
He is one of the dirtiest dudes.  This isn't too far off for him to show concern for the other cats.  And they are acting like Ray is going to die, so perhaps the getup is more for that issue -- he does say there must be preparations.

OR WE COULD WAIT A FEW DAYS AND SEEEEEEEEEEE
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on September 07, 2006, 11:25:49 am
I didn't pay much attention to the words in this strip because I was distracted by Pat's new look.

He looks like the bassist from OK Go.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 07, 2006, 12:25:20 pm
The whole arc is an excuse to see New Gay Pat.

"Magreaux" is French for "Macguffin."

ATTN CJ I SAID MACGUFFIN NOT MULLIGAN
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Teldin on September 07, 2006, 12:50:12 pm
The last two day's strips strike me as something extremely ominous. Not really funny, not really character-building, just sort of creepy, in a non-awesome-Nice-Pete sort of way, if that makes sense. It is like Onstad got an unpleasant reply to a Cancer & superAIDS hospital test and he is venting his fear with alive stuffed animals and talking cats.

And a Pat who is Polite and Reasonable?

These truly are the end times.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2006, 12:58:57 pm
I didn't pay much attention to the words in this strip because I was distracted by Pat's new look.

He looks like the bassist from OK Go.

Except without the wacky "Com-con" or spiral haircuts that guy usually sports. Which reminds me, why the hell hasn't that band ever released my favorite song of theirs on CD? Fuckers.

If I were Ray I'd be more worried about somehow becoming poor than dying. He's already been to hell and back.
Title: !
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2006, 01:18:50 pm
Nah, new Pat makes total sense, at any point in the history of Achewood of course Pat would love to be the guy who is sensible while someone is dying, this is responsibility wish-fulfillment for him.

Why has no one suggested Ray's ultimate fear? Diabetes people!
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: side_show on September 07, 2006, 01:29:38 pm
See, I didn't take it that it was a gay-Pat thing.  I took it as a "this situation is so serious that even Pat knows to be calm."  But I was bothered by what appears to be a stubble-y receding hair line.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: jough on September 07, 2006, 01:44:23 pm
The only way this storyline could have a successful conclusion would be if Ray really died and never came back.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: linnea on September 07, 2006, 02:05:40 pm
Yeah, I was a little unnerved by this strip. I mean, Onstad has artistic license to do whatever the hell he wants, and I am reminded of Jon Rosenberg getting pissed because he killed off one of his characters and his readers went insane. Part of his argument is that if people wanted to read something like Garfield, where shit stays the same all the time and nobody ever dies or goes away and is completely benign and safe...well, they sure as hell wouldn't be reading webcomics like Goats (or in our case, Achewood).

That being said, I feel a certain loyalty to the characters and it would be jarring or unsettling to say the least if one of the beloved characters died. ALSO, I am definitely unnerved by this recent change in Pat. However, a leopard ain't change its spots and I'm excited to see what direction 'Stad will take this one.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: otter on September 07, 2006, 03:42:49 pm
Yeah, but Ray's died before.  Death seems to be sort of an inconvenience in Achewood more than anything.

Also, what the hell is up with Pat's clothes?  My guess is that he heard about the Magreaux dog and immediately came in mostly-funeral wear, so he would be ready for the inevitable.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: AugustWest on September 07, 2006, 04:47:48 pm
Why would Beef be upset about somebody dying?  He's been over and back some many times he's getting frequent flyer (dier?) miles.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Noah on September 07, 2006, 05:35:12 pm
"A doppelgänger is the ghostly double of a living person....A doppelgänger seen by friends or relatives of a person may sometimes bring bad luck, or indicate an approaching illness or health problem."
-wikipedia

just seemed like the whole magreaux dog was sort of based on that but i guess maybe not
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2006, 05:56:26 pm
otter-- damn straight he's ready for TheInevitable! i'd rock new pat's can anytime!


but really, this strip is creeping me out. jeez.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2006, 06:06:40 pm
otter-- damn straight he's ready for TheInevitable! i'd rock new pat's can anytime!


but really, this strip is creeping me out. jeez.

Who knew that tI was hot for the felines?
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on September 07, 2006, 08:13:07 pm
Am I the only one who'd probably cry if Ray died?

I mean, he's done it before, and he'd probably be back eventually, but this is way more serious looking than the previous times.  All this dreadful foreshadowing....
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: dryguy on September 07, 2006, 09:04:16 pm
Yeah, I was a little unnerved by this strip. I mean, Onstad has artistic license to do whatever the hell he wants, and I am reminded of Jon Rosenberg getting pissed because he killed off one of his characters and his readers went insane. Part of his argument is that if people wanted to read something like Garfield, where shit stays the same all the time and nobody ever dies or goes away and is completely benign and safe...well, they sure as hell wouldn't be reading webcomics like Goats (or in our case, Achewood).

I just hope this means more Troubleman and No No. BTW, which Goats character are you referring to that got killed off?
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Noah on September 07, 2006, 09:57:48 pm
Am I the only one who'd probably cry if Ray died?

yes
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: evan on September 07, 2006, 10:13:16 pm
diabetes
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2006, 11:17:20 pm
Who knew that tI was hot for the felines?

I had an inkling
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Bn1 on September 08, 2006, 12:00:26 am
"misrepresentatively prominent" is a nice turn of phrase..
Also, it doesn't look like being gay has improved Pat's choice of hairstyle.
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: sailor on September 08, 2006, 01:41:13 am
am i the only one who loves lil' pixilated atari-style Beef n' Pat in the last panel?
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 08, 2006, 06:57:38 am
I had an inkling

 At least tI's zoophilia doesn't lead to death by refrigeration!
 *Stares at Doc's signature.*
Title: Re: 7 September, 2006 - I mean the phone call alone might get her a heart attack
Post by: jaydub on September 08, 2006, 04:57:01 pm
Who know that tI was hot for the felines?
I had an inkling

Perhaps he's the source of Onstad's blog entry, The Internet is Crazy for Cat Schlong (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2006/08/internet-is-crazy-for-cat-schlong.html) ?

/Newbie post