The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on November 22, 2006, 07:32:18 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11222006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11222006)
I think Ray has a point here. Does anyone here still use a fax? Is it powered by it's own internal combustion engine or steam? I remember we had one once and it was a chunkity ass piece of equipment.
Also, Ray always dresses up for the phone but is kinda comfortable to let his rad chillies dangle around half-freely in front of his respected friends. I like a man of priority.
-
man, fax machines. I guess they've gone the way of the car-phone.
I remember my mom telling me that she'd die before she got one of those goddamn car-phones. what could you ever use something like that for?
-
Oh Ray, so true!
-
Man, I had this conversation with my landlord before moving here. They needed me to fax all sorts of stuff, and I'm like "Hi, I'm living in the year 2006. We don't have fax machines anymore. Come join us."
They did allow me to print out a form, scan it, save it as a PDF, and email it to them, though, so they could print it out on their end and put it in a paper file.
People are funny.
-
We have a fax machine in the office. I use it once in a blue moon.
I was expecting this strip to be along the lines of when you call your credit card company to ask a question, and then as long as you're on the phone they go "Can I interest you in our credit protector insurance? Blah blah blah identiy theft..." and then they read some damn script that takes like five minutes until you can finally say "No." I've started cutting them off, actually, which may be a little rude, but at least we're not both wasting our time.
Also, credit card companies completely suck and they're evil.
-
We have like 6 fax machines in my department. We contract to the FDA and they only accept faxed signatures, no electronic signatures and nothing scanned. Plus a suprising number of hospitals and clinics aren't online at all. Or they have like one computer in the admin center that the techs and nurses can't use.
-
Isn't the level of paperwork required for silly things just...retarded? It's like our litigious society is so terrified of someone accomplishing a transfer in a non-cumbersome manner that we're all crippled by ridiculous, Byzantine rules. I hate it.
I tried to get my medical records sent up to Alaska from my doctor in Colorado. Talk about retarded. II ended up saying "Fuck You" and just leaving them there because it was such a goddamned hassle. 'm sure that Onstad had to deal with something similar.
I love this strip, it's now one of my favorites.
-
I take issue with this strip. Firstly, the falcon is a classic that will never go out of style. Secondly, fax machines are rock-solid basic it-just-works chunks of instant-on technology. Thirdly, polio is probably hugely back in fashion in the developing world although I didnt check this.
Other than that I liked the free cartoon.
-
I like how this one is only three panels. It being any longer really wouldn't have served the joke, but as it stands it's a nice miniature.
-
I take issue with this strip. Firstly, the falcon is a classic that will never go out of style.
Not to mention that he does have an owl (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08212006), which ain't all that different.
-
Not to mention that he does have an owl (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08212006), which ain't all that different.
Good point. I'm actually surprised Ray doesn't own a falcon, SUPPOSEDLY.
Are you listening, Onstad!?
-
Plus a suprising number of hospitals and clinics aren't online at all.
Isn't this scary? Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence. Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
-
Isn't this scary? Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence. Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
My last checkup, the doctor had a laptop with wireless internet. He PRINTED the prescriptions, rather than scribbling something indecipherable on a pad of paper. Pretty sweet.
I also thought: after the vasectomy, if I have to come in here and give a sample, I could ask to borrow his laptop for a few minutes.
-
Isn't this scary? Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence. Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
My doctors office uses tablets (computers, not pills) which are linked via a wireless network. They rock.
-
Isn't this scary? Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence. Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
I also want them to be able to save my life if the power's out.
-
I enjoyed imagining the creative process behind this strip, realizing that...
Mr. Onstad probably had to actually consider what sort of stuff Ray fictionally owns.
He probably actually does own the means of communicating, for example, in the manner of Native Americans.
He probably does own a great many drums. He probably owns the equipment for smoke signals and probably signed up for classes once, while stoned, and then got a call weeks later asking why he never showed up to the classes he didn't remember enrolling himself in.
He probably owns a carrier pidgeon in some sort of zoo for endangered and presumed-extinct speeches that... he doesn't really think that much of but bought and stocked in rich-guy dick-swinging contest.
The internal logic of a Ray joke is a strange beast and I like to believe that I'm not the only one crazy enough to consider it.
-
I also want them to be able to save my life if the power's out.
Valid point. But if the power's out you're probably screwed in more ways than just not being able to access hypothetical computerized medical records.
-
Thirdly, polio is probably hugely back in fashion in the developing world although I didnt check this.
This is incorrect. Due to the effectiveness of the oral polio vaccine, developed six years after Salk's inactivated vaccine, polio's existence is steadily dissipating in developing countries. This is because after administering the oral, "live" vaccine, virus particles are shed for several days in the immunee's feces. These particles then act as booster vaccines to the people that come in contact with the person who has received the immunization.
The current practice in developing countries is for health care officials to intervene and vaccinate young children with the oral vaccine, effectively vaccinating the child's parents and hopefully others as well. Salk's inactivated vaccine, which is given by intramuscular injection, does not exhibit this bi-lateral vaccination phenomenon. However, it is safer to give in patients with compromised immune systems, such as AIDS patients and transplantees on immunosupressive drugs.
-
Good point. I'm actually surprised Ray doesn't own a falcon, SUPPOSEDLY.
He was going to buy one once but realized Pat would never shut up about it and bought an owl instead.
-
I also thought: after the vasectomy, if I have to come in here and give a sample, I could ask to borrow his laptop for a few minutes.
!GENIUS!
-
Modern faxes are basically just computer chips slapped onto combination printer/scanners.
-
Isn't the level of paperwork required for silly things just...retarded? It's like our litigious society is so terrified of someone accomplishing a transfer in a non-cumbersome manner that we're all crippled by ridiculous, Byzantine rules. I hate it.
I tried to get my medical records sent up to Alaska from my doctor in Colorado. Talk about retarded. II ended up saying "Fuck You" and just leaving them there because it was such a goddamned hassle. 'm sure that Onstad had to deal with something similar.
I love this strip, it's now one of my favorites.
The sad part is that all of that trouble was caused by something called the Health Insurance Portability and Accessability Act. Which sounds good but it's basiclly 35 pages of extremely strict privacy rules designed to make impossible for your doctor to ever tell anybody anything about you. Even if you say it's OK. It's also why a lot of pharmacies started putting up signs saying the next person in line has to wait like 5 feet back.
-
This is incorrect. <detailed polio vaccination information that did not appear to be plagiarised after cursory googling>
That'll teach me to speculate on a virally induced infectious disease which spreads via the fecal-oral route without even so much as a desultory glance at Wikipedia.
Informedness.
-
He was going to buy one once but realized Pat would never shut up about it and bought an owl instead.
Finest Raptor Meat Company
"From Eyrie to Plate in 12 hours."(tm)
Prop. R Smuckles.
http://www.endangeredmeats.com/raptorstore/buy.aspx?item=falcon;delivery=12-hour-heli
-
It's also why a lot of pharmacies started putting up signs saying the next person in line has to wait like 5 feet back.
Don't you love this? Doesn't it make you feel safe, and private? My phone may be wiretapped but dang it, no one is going to look over my shoulder and see that I am picking up allergy pills. Our federal government, bless its heart.
-
This is incorrect...
Education.