Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!  (Read 5558 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11222006

I think Ray has a point here. Does anyone here still use a fax? Is it powered by it's own internal combustion engine or steam? I remember we had one once and it was a chunkity ass piece of equipment.

Also, Ray always dresses up for the phone but is kinda comfortable to let his rad chillies dangle around half-freely in front of his respected friends. I like a man of priority.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

man, fax machines. I guess they've gone the way of the car-phone.

I remember my mom telling me that she'd die before she got one of those goddamn car-phones. what could you ever use something like that for?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Oh Ray, so true!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

Man, I had this conversation with my landlord before moving here.  They needed me to fax all sorts of stuff, and I'm like "Hi, I'm living in the year 2006.  We don't have fax machines anymore.  Come join us."

They did allow me to print out a form, scan it, save it as a PDF, and email it to them, though, so they could print it out on their end and put it in a paper file.

People are funny.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

We have a fax machine in the office.  I use it once in a blue moon.

I was expecting this strip to be along the lines of when you call your credit card company to ask a question, and then as long as you're on the phone they go "Can I interest you in our credit protector insurance?  Blah blah blah identiy theft..." and then they read some damn script that takes like five minutes until you can finally say "No."  I've started cutting them off, actually, which may be a little rude, but at least we're not both wasting our time.

Also, credit card companies completely suck and they're evil.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

We have like 6 fax machines in my department. We contract to the FDA and they only accept faxed signatures, no electronic signatures and nothing scanned. Plus a suprising number of hospitals and clinics aren't online at all. Or they have like one computer in the admin center that the techs and nurses can't use.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Isn't the level of paperwork required for silly things just...retarded? It's like our litigious society is so terrified of someone accomplishing a transfer in a non-cumbersome manner that we're all crippled by ridiculous, Byzantine rules. I hate it.

I tried to get my medical records sent up to Alaska from my doctor in Colorado. Talk about retarded. II ended up saying "Fuck You" and just leaving them there because it was such a goddamned hassle. 'm sure that Onstad had to deal with something similar.

I love this strip, it's now one of my favorites.
Logged

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile

I take issue with this strip. Firstly, the falcon is a classic that will never go out of style. Secondly, fax machines are rock-solid basic it-just-works chunks of instant-on technology. Thirdly, polio is probably hugely back in fashion in the developing world although I didnt check this.

Other than that I liked the free cartoon.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest

I like how this one is only three panels. It being any longer really wouldn't have served the joke, but as it stands it's a nice miniature.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

I take issue with this strip. Firstly, the falcon is a classic that will never go out of style.

Not to mention that he does have an owl, which ain't all that different.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 04:50:49 pm »

Not to mention that he does have an owl, which ain't all that different.

Good point. I'm actually surprised Ray doesn't own a falcon, SUPPOSEDLY.

Are you listening, Onstad!?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 04:59:07 pm »

Plus a suprising number of hospitals and clinics aren't online at all.

Isn't this scary?  Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence.  Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 05:11:33 pm »

Isn't this scary?  Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence.  Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?

My last checkup, the doctor had a laptop with wireless internet.  He PRINTED the prescriptions, rather than scribbling something indecipherable on a pad of paper.  Pretty sweet.

I also thought:  after the vasectomy, if I have to come in here and give a sample, I could ask to borrow his laptop for a few minutes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 05:12:28 pm »

Isn't this scary?  Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence.  Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?

My doctors office uses tablets (computers, not pills) which are linked via a wireless network.  They rock.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 07:35:29 pm »

Isn't this scary?  Like you go to your doctor, and their file on you is a bunch of pieces of paper, scribbled on illegibly. It doesn't give one a lot of confidence.  Wouldn't you want the people in charge of, like, life and death, to be a little more up to date?
I also want them to be able to save my life if the power's out.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up