The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on January 29, 2007, 09:19:08 am

Title: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: melack on January 29, 2007, 09:19:08 am
I still need to buy my Dude and Catastrophe shirt, but now I'm seriously eying that Chochacho shirt. I literally use this word five hundred times a day. If I owned the t-shirt, I would never need to speak again. I would simply point at my chest, then point at the person whom I am suggesting is a Chochacho. Also, I'm surprised it took this long for Mr. Onstad to crank out a shirt for "I'm the dude who sucks...".

New 'zine, too. How are the other ones, by the way? Haven't had the chance to read them.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2007, 12:07:17 pm
Sigh. If the Roast Beef ringer were in any color other than "you can see the HELL out of my bra" white, I'd probably pick one up. As it stands, looks like unless that Chochacho shirt calls to me (or I give in and get an Achewater shirt), I continue to go new-merch-less.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2007, 01:37:17 pm
You do know that although it may seem counterintuitive, a light colored bra doesn't show through a white shirt like a white bra does, right?  I only mention this because I was very old before I learned this useful fact.

Not that I am trying to sell shirts.  No, I am trying to sell the cookbook. You do all have the cookbook, right?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2007, 01:49:28 pm
The Guy Who Sucks shirt amuses me greatly in theory but I'm not sure if I'd actually wear it. It would've been awesome in college, though.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: robot_god on January 29, 2007, 06:19:25 pm
I think the Chochacho shirt is the finest O has put out so far.  It'll probably be the first shirt I buy, and that pint glass is pretty irresistable too.

And the Sucks shirt, well, it made me chuckle, but who would really wear that?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: vivouk on January 29, 2007, 10:12:33 pm
Roast Beef would, and he is my hero. :D

I actually ordered a Dude & Catastrophe hoodie though. Do any Brits/Europeans know how long the Airmail takes?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jough on January 30, 2007, 12:31:55 am
I just bought two Dude & Catastrophe pint glasses, and one Lyle Achewater one just to have it.  I used the phrase "liquid banjo" at work the other day, so it seems fitting to use the glass there.

Motherfucker really nails you on shipping, though.  Seriously - $25 for the items, $19 for shipping?  Bite my ass, dude.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2007, 01:05:35 am
I just bought two Dude & Catastrophe pint glasses, and one Lyle Achewater one just to have it.  I used the phrase "liquid banjo" at work the other day, so it seems fitting to use the glass there.

Motherfucker really nails you on shipping, though.  Seriously - $25 for the items, $19 for shipping?  Bite my ass, dude.

What method did you choose? Because he normally uses flat-rate Priority boxes. Although 3 pint glasses wouldn't fit in even the larger one of those.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: wombat on January 30, 2007, 01:49:08 am
The site clearly warns "Because of the fragile nature of this item, slightly higher shipping charges apply." 

It's no worse than I've paid to have various sorts of perishable things shipped to me. If you want to sit on your butt instead of going out shopping, you have to pay the price.

You could buy the cookbook instead!  The apron is great too.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on January 30, 2007, 02:28:01 am
I want the cookbook and apron badly. Badly. Sometimes I just go to the site and stare longingly at them...


Huh? Oh, right... sorry. Lost in thought there.


The Chochacho shirt has now been added to my Achewood wish list, as has the Sucks shirt. I would totally wear it. I feel fortunate in that I can wear my Achewood merch to work. Wahoo!

Oh, yeah, and... best color bras to wear under a white shirt: pink or beige/nude. Victoria's Secret makes awesome bras for wearing under a tee. Secret Embrace bras (http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSBRPEMBZZZ&cgnbr=OSBRPEMBZZZ&rfnbr=3210) and Infinity Edge bras (http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSBRPINFZZZ&cgnbr=OSBRPINFZZZ&rfnbr=3328)

I love how they make their product lines sound like NASA technology: Infinity Edge, Ipex, etc. It's a bra, for Pete's sake.

</tangent>

Wombat, what kinds of recipes are in the cookbook? I wish there were a way to thumb through the pages and take a peek.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: wombat on January 30, 2007, 02:41:14 am
Some of them are real and excellent recipes that I use regularly, like really good home fries, and a pasta dish with nuts and scallions.  Also, the chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have been looking for all my life. (That is the only dessert sort of thing in it, though.) Some of them are more just character sketches, like Roast Beef's childhood sandwich.

You can see my pictures of some of them here. (http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/achefood.html)

I swear he had an announcement that a new cookbook was coming out in the summer, in that space at the top of the cartoon where he annouces blog updates and new products.  Did anyone else catch this or did I dream it?  He has promised a new cookbook and broken my heart before.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2007, 05:19:15 am
I would love a new cookbook. That would be rad. I LOVE the one that he's already put out, and I reference it quite often.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on January 31, 2007, 05:04:23 am
Okay, now the cookbook is a NEEEED. Thanks for those tantalizing pictures, Wombat! :)  I don't think you dreamed his announcement of a new cookbook; I seem to recall something like that. Or at least I remember feeling anxiety over not even having the current cookbook, and suddenly possibly having to deal with another one in the Queue of Desired Things.

Now I want home fries, dammit.

:)
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: katal on January 31, 2007, 05:29:30 am
I'm glad to hear such good things about the cookbook. I've been on the fence about purchasing it for forever.

Mind if I ask a question about other Achewood merchandise? How are the books? Are they a pretty good size? The resolution is cool?

I've only bought a shirt before (a Science ringer), and I love the new pint glass, so I was thinking of supporting the site & picking the glass up along with a slew of books.

And actually... yeah, how *are* the zines? They seem expensive for a few pages of Roast Beef's writing. I never cared for his blog that much.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on January 31, 2007, 07:14:59 am
I'm going nuts trying to avoid spending money, but at the same time I really want the Chochacho shirt. I have already gotten the following items, and I am extremely happy with all of them:

I also really want the pint glasses... but if jough got gouged for shipping from CA to IL, then the prices to rural AK are going to be flippin' ridiculous.

I have got to figure out a way to save money. I've been up here 2 years and I've got nothin' to show for it.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: hungoverdrawn on January 31, 2007, 10:19:54 am
but who would really wear that?

I've ordered it, and plan on wearing it.

I don't wear the "Fuck You, You're Irish" in William of Orange, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but...
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: CortJstr on January 31, 2007, 01:47:48 pm
I'm glad to hear such good things about the cookbook. I've been on the fence about purchasing it for forever.

Mind if I ask a question about other Achewood merchandise? How are the books? Are they a pretty good size? The resolution is cool?

The resolution is decent. There are a few places where a line is sort of pixelated and some character-code issues (em-dash showing up as &# or something). But that was mainly just in volume 1, IIRC.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jaydub on January 31, 2007, 06:42:09 pm

I have got to figure out a way to save money. I've been up here 2 years and I've got nothin' to show for it.

Well, there's always working on a factory ship.  I hear you make bank and have nothing to spend it on.  We'd miss you here though.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 31, 2007, 08:24:33 pm
Quote from: Somebody nice-#####
I have got to figure out a way to save money. I've been up here 2 years and I've got nothin' to show for it.
Well, there's always working on waiting for a factory ship to dock.  I hear you make bank and have nothing to spend it on.  We'd miss you here though.

GOOD TIME Somebody nice
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on January 31, 2007, 09:45:50 pm
GOOD TIME Somebody nice

Ew... just, ew. Nobody's whoring to giraffeermen, thank you very much.

Or I could sell Russian teenagers for diamonds? Or...worse, if you can imagine that. Rumor has it that someone here used to traffick small children to trampers. Don't know if it's true or not, but it makes me angrier than hell to imagine such a thing.

Oh, and I don't mean "tramper" as in someone in New Zealand who hitchhikes around. I mean a tramper as in a cargo vessel. http://www.wildnatureimages.com/3000%20to%2010000/C6CT5599..jpg

And working on a giraffeing vessel...no thanks. I don't like giraffe that much, and I reeeeally don't want to slaughter them. Working on a boat means a lot of tough work in driving wind and rain, gutting giraffe in a factory trawler. I'd make much less money than I do now. My problem is compounded by the fact that I spent $2,765 last year on frivolous purchases, like perfume.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 31, 2007, 09:58:05 pm
Ew... just, ew. Nobody's whoring to giraffeermen, thank you very much.

A good time girl is much different than a whore.

Well, only in one kinda big way. Basically a good time girl is an escort without benefits. I'll admit you prolly gotta be careful with that game though, they're prolly a rough on the prick tease crowd.

Y'know what? Maybe your plan of buying good stuff but less of it is the winner.

I took pains in all posts to not call you out as a whore
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jough on February 05, 2007, 12:15:29 am
Did I mention that I got my Dude and Catastrophe pint glasses exactly four days after I ordered them?

Yes, well, I did.  They're nice.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2007, 01:00:24 am
I just got my pint glass, still in one piece although I carried the box into the house and slammed it down on the table while looking at the sticker that said 'fragile' and thinking, "Hey, what's this, I didn't order anything from anywhere that's frag - OOPS."  But it was fine.

Also, the 'zine.  The nice thing about Roast Beef's 'zine is that the Beef of the 'zine is a much happier Beef than we usually see.  He's sassy, even.

Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: melack on February 11, 2007, 05:26:00 am
Can we see some pics of those pint glasses in action?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: theinevitable on February 11, 2007, 05:53:03 am
I really really want to make a post saying
"THEY ARE IN ACTION, BITCH!" but I am not.

Doing that.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on February 11, 2007, 07:46:37 am
I am on call, and therefore cannot drink.

I want to see the pint glasses filled with delicious Guinness and hard cider (together they form a "Snakebite").
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: CortJstr on February 11, 2007, 03:08:51 pm
I am on call, and therefore cannot drink.

I want to see the pint glasses filled with delicious Guinness and hard cider (together they form a "Snakebite").

I'd heard of the Carbomb but that one's new to me.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on February 11, 2007, 06:47:36 pm
I'd heard of the Carbomb but that one's new to me.

I find the various carbomb names really distasteful. I wouldn't be surprised if you can order a "Shitload of Carbombs" from the bartender and have an Irish Car Bomb, an Iraqi Car Bomb, &c. ad nauseum.

Anyway, yeah, a Snakebite is "grelicious". You pour it like a Black and Tan, not like a Carbomb with its associated shotglass. 
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 11, 2007, 07:09:35 pm
(semi-tangentally)

Once, we took a bunch of really strong black tea and put it in the espresso maker and drew out a thick viscous liquid that we ended up calling "Alpachino" both as a pun on cappuchino, of course, as well as the fact that it made you wanna yell "Hoo-ha!"

I did a triple shot of that and then blacked out for a half a minute.

I never blacked out from alcohol, from marijuana, from prescription painkillers.

But I blacked out from Alpachino.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jaydub on February 12, 2007, 10:46:06 pm
I think that happened to my mom, but it might have been a hot flash too.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on February 13, 2007, 03:41:36 am
Jesus...Alpachino sounds terrible. I can't even drink iced tea, because the caffeine makes me all jumpy. Drinking coffee (except as an occasional treat) gives me terrible chest pain. I take after my dad, apparently, who can't even have decaffeinated coffee (which still has a small amount of caffeine). However, I can have 2 cups of green tea in the morning and it doesn't hurt...not like coffee *shudder*

Contrast that with Kellichou and our mom, who can each put down 3 full pots of strong coffee a day and not think about it.

Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jaydub on February 13, 2007, 04:52:32 pm
When I was 10 or so, I had my Dad pour me a cup of coffee so I could try it.  I almost spat it out and he said, sotto voce "Its an acquired taste."  I replied, "Sure, but why would you want to acquire it?"  So many years later now, I am coffee's bitch.   At her altar I daily kneel, to make it safely to work, and to avoid her lash (headaches and crankiness at 5pm).  On the other hand, she's taken me on interesting flavour safaris to islands and countries that I haven't yet visited with my feet, so it seems to be a two-way relationship.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 13, 2007, 06:41:55 pm
I have been drinking coffee since I was eight.

It is why my growth was stunted. It is why I am only 6'6".
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: theinevitable on February 13, 2007, 07:54:31 pm
I have no interest in coffee. As a child I rebelled by declaring (to myself) that I would never drink tea like my parents-- I would drink coffee, like all the cool people do.

Coffee is too hard. Tea is lovely.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: vivouk on February 13, 2007, 09:40:52 pm
MY HOODIE ARRIVED!  ;D

I regret that I have nothing more useful to contribute.  :'(
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on February 14, 2007, 03:30:40 am
MY HOODIE ARRIVED!  ;D

I regret that I have nothing more useful to contribute.  :'(

Post some piccies of your new hoodie! Like the action shots at Thinkgeek!
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: robot_god on February 14, 2007, 04:26:58 am
In 5th grade, before an early morning, going out-of-state class trip, me and the dudes stopped in Dunkin' Donuts.  I had only drank coffee about five times before and was just getting used to the taste.  So I bought one and all the dudes were like, wow, hey, is coffee any good?  So naturally I said, heh, sure!  Man, it looked like they were gonna throw up.  Many full coffees were wasted that day.

Nowadays I don't really drink it very often, but when I do I take it black so I can actually taste it and I get pissed off if a restaurant doesn't have espresso.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Golfhaus on February 14, 2007, 11:40:11 pm
As a rule, I don't drink warm beverages at all. No coffee, no tea (in any of its hot or cold varieties). I will suck down hot chocolate when it is at its coldest outside on occasion. I never really mastered drinking hot drinks without burning all hell out of my mouth, and still subscribe to jaydub's "why would I want to acquire it?" stance. I find that people who drink more than a couple mugs of coffee daily have 1) plant-wilting breath, and 2) a lack of respect for personal space.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: theinevitable on February 14, 2007, 11:51:55 pm
I love Hot Chocolate a lot.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: vivouk on February 15, 2007, 02:02:00 am
Post some piccies of your new hoodie! Like the action shots at Thinkgeek!

No digital camera with me, I'll have to go back to my parents for photos.  :'(

It's the green Dude & Catastrophe one though.  :D
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on February 24, 2007, 06:13:39 am
Can for Alpachino.

:)

Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 24, 2007, 03:55:31 pm
Has anyone else had horrible results with the Achewater beer bugs? Maybe it was some strange coincidence of physics but i put a Russian Imperial stout in one of those of those guys and the bottom literally fell off the rest of the glass. (Note: I stored the glasses in my freezer)
Now Ive got two Dude and Catastropher glasses that I refuse to put in my freezer for fear of ruining my lap again.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jaydub on February 25, 2007, 03:53:17 am
Well, there you go.  You're only supposed to serve Achewater in those, tepid as it was when it was drawn from backwaters of the river Lethe.

Did you brew the RIS yourself?  I'm getting ready to pitch yeast into my English Brown Ale as I type this.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: linnea on February 25, 2007, 08:24:31 am
Well, there you go.  You're only supposed to serve Achewater in those, tepid as it was when it was drawn from backwaters of the river Lethe.

Did you brew the RIS yourself?  I'm getting ready to pitch yeast into my English Brown Ale as I type this.

Oooh! Kellichou and her boyfriend, being the microbiology awesome nerds that they are, are totally into zymurgy. Hell of rad, yo.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 25, 2007, 07:04:16 pm
No i bought the stout at Dean & Delucas on broadway for like $6. I am however going to start homebrewing this summer at the latest. I work for Anheuser Busch and i think it would be fun to get some hands on experience. Do you use a website as a supplier? Im trying to find a decent resource.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: jaydub on February 25, 2007, 08:04:03 pm
You shouldn't have any trouble finding brew shops in NYC.  Check out this board (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2/) for a great online home-brewing community, as well as a live broadcast, weekly homebrew "radio" show (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/listen.php) (5pm on Sundays, plus archives (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive.php)/podcasts (http://www.webpasties.com/podcast-3384-161.xml) of past shows).

I've got 4 brick-and-mortar stores within easy range, so I never order online.  Beer, Beer, and More Beer (http://www.morebeer.com) is a major supplier, and they do custom fabrication for brewing systems as well.  There's a lot of cross-pollination between More Beer and The Brewing Network.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 25, 2007, 08:45:42 pm
A-CAP:   Lots of times you have gotten negative cans for reasons that maybe aren't that strong, but, for my money, working where you do is hell of negative cans.  If I cared, maybe I will give you one for fun, but that is still a lame job.  Filling the world with shitty beer one bottle at a time.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 27, 2007, 07:24:53 pm
You smoked 50 cigarettes in 9 innings? Jesus.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 27, 2007, 08:32:30 pm
Boys, boys, boys... BOTH your icons are pretty. And they both have their flaws.

Keith's is not close-up enough to reveal that the baseball player's upper lip is covered in rich Columbia cocaine powder. A-CAP's is not close-up enough to reveal that the blue man is totally an asshole and deserves to be murdered and his inherited wealth redistributed to, like, orphans and foreigners.

Your icons are equal in the eyes of The Fun God. The Fun God does not abide fighting.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 27, 2007, 10:04:18 pm

A-CAP's is not close-up enough to reveal that the blue man is totally an asshole and deserves to be murdered and his inherited wealth redistributed to, like, orphans and foreigners.


oh, hell no.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 27, 2007, 11:21:14 pm
Keith Hernandez really did do that.  He did have some rich Columbian cocaine powder in his system though (probably, I don't know when it happened in his career, but it makes sense that it would be in his coke days).
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 28, 2007, 12:18:53 am
Capitalism would be awesome except that invariably from the group of those with arbitrary advantages, there will quickly rise a group who are willing to use those advantages unscrupulously and game the system so that they don't have to follow the rules of capitalism.

The children and the grandchildren of the innovative will control resources so large that they will crush competition and innovation and form themselves into a ruling class. It may take twenty years, it may take five generations, but it'll happen. That's the end game of capitalism.

The unscrupulous will turn the rules of capitalism against itself so as to rule as tyrants.

Communism would be awesome except that invariably from the group of those in leadership positions, there will quickly rise a group who are willing to use their political power unscrupulously and game the system so that they don't have to follow the rules of communism.

The friends and successors of the politically powerful will control political resources so large that they can crush political competition and dissent and form themselves into a ruling class. It may take twenty years, it may take five generations, but it'll happen. That's the end game of communism.

The unscrupulous will turn the rules of communism against itself so as to rule as tyrants.

People crazy enough to want power for the sake of having power are going to come into any system and fuck it up, that they might pretend that they are gods and that their children or their ideological apprentices will be gods after them.

Stalin or Prescott Bush, pick yer poison.

Most people don't live long enough or live varied enough lives or learn enough to catch onto the fact that life is basically suffering and the only way we're ever going to get beyond that is if we all try our best to help each other out... that power or possessions are probably only going to bring you troubles, either through need or through want.

So there's a lot of motherfuckers out there who are going to hurt people to get stuff and to hold onto stuff.

Now, in theory, in the face of that truth, communism sounds like the best choice. But, of course, it is just as open to corruption, it's just that the corruption will come through the consolidation of political power instead of economic power as in capitalism.

And in other models, you know... the corruption comes through the consolidation of media power... or through the consolidation of royal power... or of military power... or religious power... or whatever.

History is not a struggle of races or economics or religions or even, really, classes. History is a struggle between a growing mass of people learned enough to realize that we're all in this together as humans and a more-and-more entrenched power structure doing its best to divide those people and conquer them by gaming whatever system is extant.

Whether that gaming is... religious scare tactics or military force or economic monopoly... isn't so much the issue.

I think the answer for real freedom and cooperation amoungst the masses is a system where all the different models for cheating are at each others' throats, fighting each other instead of human individuals just trying to be happy and helping each other out. Gridlock of the unscrupulous.

Turn the military against the business community, the business community against religion, religion against the government, the government against the media, the media against the military... and so on and so forth.

When all the motherfuckers trying to seize power by cheating in some goddamned model or another are too busy fighting amoungst themselves, therein lies freedom and cooperation toward an end to suffering.

Keep the monsters busy fighting each other, whatever ism you wanna call each beast.

Just my opinion, of course.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2007, 12:42:56 am
um, it seems to me that a lot of people realize that life is essentially shitty and so they do the best to help themselves and their families. I'm sure whatever academic first declared "Life is Suffering!" was met with lot of eye-rolling from the various serfs who were working so that he could sit on his ass telling them things they already knew.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 28, 2007, 12:59:39 am
Quote from: theinevitable
um, it seems to me that a lot of people realize that life is essentially shitty and so they do the best to help themselves and their families.

But that's the thing, isn't it?

Power structures force us into situations where we are only able to look out for ourselves and "our own".

Keeping us busy just paying the bills and buying food, without being able to reflect on, let alone act on, fixing the bigger issues that could actually raise all ships on a rising tide, y'know? You can't amass god-like power without keeping the vast majority of people too busy to realize that you are not a god and if you were brought down, everyone would do a good bit better.

That's the game, keep people focused on the small picture and the short term... and run away with the large picture and the long term.

That's the game for a communist dictator who keeps the people hungry, that's the game for a pope telling people to have a bunch of kids so they have to work their whole lives just to feed 'em, that's the game of a capitalist plutocrat keeping the media full of stories about how awesome it is to be rich and just keep your nose to the grindnose and you will be a god too.

Keep 'em busy, keep the shells switchin'.

I don't think it's that we disagree, inev, I think I may have just not been clear enough.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 28, 2007, 01:10:19 am
Ok the thing is I spend my entire day writing papers on why and how you are wrong along with constructing pictures of curves and lines that no one save a TA will ever see. So what's more fun for me is the following:
1. Minimum wage laws serve to make people poorer and less employed
2. Drug companies and big oil are the coolest dudes on the block. Just try living without them.
3. The absence of a formal government would make people richer, more comfortable, and healthier.
4. Schools, health care, military, post office, police, and transportation all do better when they are owned privately and not in the hands of government bureaucrats who lack any incentive at all to perform.

And thats what is up. I'm just glad there are enough people like me to balance out people like you who want to steal all my money and drag the country into the ground by running some wealth transfer machine.

And all I wanted to do was ask if anyone else's beer cup broke. Go figure.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 28, 2007, 01:39:43 am
Well, A-CAP.

I don't want this to turn into One Of Those Internet Things where two bright young people debate something that much much smarter people than either of them have not come to agreement on in the last thousand years... and it turns into yelling and screaming and fighting and internet drama and so on.

You like the adventures of cynical cats and teddy bears. I like the adventures of cynical cats and teddy bears. For the purposes of this board, you and I are both rad.

But I've had a lot of people tell me the things you just said and... when I asked them why these things were true, they've pretty much never made sense to me.

The logic was always flawless but always came back to fundamental assumptions that I did not believe in. You are a smart dude, you must be if you like the cynical cat and teddy bears. Your reasoning will be sparkling and airtight.

But because our basic assumptions are at odds, we will both be airtight and still disagree.

I've been down that there road and I'm sure so have you.

One of my basic assumptions is that there are certain things either too essential to the public good or too easily turned into central monopolies that they cannot be trusted to the whims of free competition.

Open competition, where the economic bottom line is the only or main driving force, can be great for a lot of things. Things that are not essential to the shared human experience, things that can't be turned into rigged monopolies.

I don't trust the roads or the military or children's educations or people's health care or other such instituitions to dudes who are going to take every opportunity to cut any and every corner humanly possible.

That isn't a future I want for myself, that sure as hell isn't a future I would want if I ever spawned a mewling proto-human with the lady of my choice.

You clearly don't agree with that basic assumption. Which is fine.

But we're both gonna build airtight garages of logic out of our basic assumptions and it'll get ugly.

And I don't want that.

So let's agree to agree about cynical cats and teddy bears, huh?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: wombat on February 28, 2007, 02:20:19 am
You think the cats are cynical?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 28, 2007, 02:41:11 am
Quote from: wombat
You think the cats are cynical?

You are can'd, W. YOU. ARE. CAN'D.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2007, 03:12:43 am
Ok the thing is I spend my entire day writing papers on why and how you are wrong

Hmmm.  Why don't you try summarizing one to prove your point rather than just making a bald faced assertion?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 28, 2007, 03:30:01 am
Because college papers are uninteresting even to those that require I write them. I dont see what's bold faced about the fact that I do spend my day writing papers on free market economics.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 28, 2007, 03:36:29 am

1. Minimum wage laws serve to make people poorer and less employed
2. Drug companies and big oil are the coolest dudes on the block. Just try living without them.
3. The absence of a formal government would make people richer, more comfortable, and healthier.
4. Schools, health care, military, post office, police, and transportation all do better when they are owned privately and not in the hands of government bureaucrats who lack any incentive at all to perform.

I think that is uh.. obviously what he is talking about.

plus, in one of those awesome things that can only happen here, there is a discussion over capitalism and communism and libertarianism all in a thread dedicated to people buying shirts based on cats.  Fake cats.  Also, the discussion did not start because of said shirts, rather because of something I haven't really figured out yet.


Edit:  Also, it made me want a picture of keith hernandez doing blow as an avatar.  At very least I want a mustache doing a line.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2007, 03:42:36 am
OK, I'll explain further.

You made the following assertions:

Quote
1. Minimum wage laws serve to make people poorer and less employed
2. Drug companies and big oil are the coolest dudes on the block. Just try living without them.
3. The absence of a formal government would make people richer, more comfortable, and healthier.
4. Schools, health care, military, post office, police, and transportation all do better when they are owned privately and not in the hands of government bureaucrats who lack any incentive at all to perform.

Each of these may or may not be true, but you provided absolutely no argument to support any of them.  Are we just to accept them because you say so?  We understand that you've been to college and all, but here in the marketplace of ideas you've got to do a little better than that if you expect to convince anyone.

Furthermore,

Quote
I'm just glad there are enough people like me to balance out people like you who want to steal all my money and drag the country into the ground by running some wealth transfer machine.

There are more things, Horatio...

Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 28, 2007, 03:52:05 am
I thought I made it clear I wasn't really going to put up a dissertation  on the webcomic message board. I never asked you to believe me, I was just putting up some basic points of mine so you all know where I stand. You are correct, I didn't provide any arguments because I'm not here to argue. I'm here because I dig on achewood. I didn't know we were all taking each other so seriously. Sorry for saying something about who I am. Let's just get back to the cartoon cats.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2007, 04:00:49 am
I didn't know we were all taking each other so seriously. Sorry for saying something about who I am.

Huh.

Quote
people like you who want to steal all my money and drag the country into the ground by running some wealth transfer machine.

That's some nice self-revalation there, Ace.

Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2007, 05:45:31 am
Hey, guys, is Roast Beef a cat or a dog? I can never keep that straight.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 24, 2007, 05:40:24 pm
So, I guess OT, but it's merch-related and this is a merch thread...

My brother ordered me a bunny ambulance shirt for my birthday on the 20th. March the 20th. He emailed Onstad once to no avail. Should I be patient, or should Isaac start bugging him more?
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 24, 2007, 11:31:51 pm
So, I guess OT, but it's merch-related and this is a merch thread...

My brother ordered me a bunny ambulance shirt for my birthday on the 20th. March the 20th. He emailed Onstad once to no avail. Should I be patient, or should Isaac start bugging him more?

I too have waited over a month for stuff from this guy. Usually after e-mailing his wife it gets in the mail.
Title: Re: New Achewood merch to give you the strength to go on living! (Jan 29 '07)
Post by: Golfhaus on April 26, 2007, 01:11:20 am
Weird... when my wife ordered stuff for Christmas-before-last, it all came promptly, except for my signed print of the "liquor test" strip. That was delayed by a lack of frames. When it did come, the frame had a cardboard placeholder on top, on which Onstad drew a little picture of Philippe saying "Sorry!" We felt like we'd hit the jackpot.

I know these experiences are less than ideal, but at least in the Haushold, achewood.com is "A++++++ would do business wif again!"