The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on March 05, 2007, 12:12:42 am

Title: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 05, 2007, 12:12:42 am
Cornelius's pub only plays U2's old stuff? That moron, everybody knows only the new stuff is worth listening to. And why can't more establishments use the modern (circa 1982) spellings? To do otherwise reeks of gender-hubris.

I'm not a big fan of buttered noodle but I am a big fan of voluptuous nude maidens so that checks out.

http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2007/03/corneliuss-new-pub-absolutely-disgusts.html

http://orezscu.blogspot.com/2007/03/foto-quiz-no-2.html

http://corneliusbear.blogspot.com/2007/03/dude-and-catastrophe-modest-success.html
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: theinevitable on March 05, 2007, 12:29:45 am
man, I love me some Gender Hubris.
I try to be open-minded about these things, but I often find them difficult to take seriously. This makes my friends really really mad.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2007, 12:46:03 am
"You don't fiddle with the things in your pocket at the end of that interview — you take the man's hand firmly and give him a locker."

I need to remember this line, in case I am ever in the position to hire someone.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Alternate on March 05, 2007, 12:47:28 am
I love how Pat thinks that writing "WOMYN" on his bathroom door is enough (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/07/swinging.html) to (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/12/women-are-stupid.html) make (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/03/why-do-fat-women-always-think-they.html) him (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/10/huge-breakthrough-at-swing-class-huge.html) a (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2005/10/bye-bye-trader-joes.html) feminist. (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2006/12/that-bitch.html)
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2007, 01:12:14 am
In Pat-logic, realizing he's gay probably automatically makes him a feminist.

As though the moment he accepted that he's into dick-touch, he decided there was this whole other subset of issues that he now had to be indignant about and begrudgingly accepted that some weird twisted Pat-version of women's rights was one of them.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2007, 01:34:49 am
It's good to see Pat back to full strength. For a while I was worried that we'd lost him for good.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 05, 2007, 01:37:18 am
"There is something about the French system of eating, there is a logic to it that cares like a mother for even a stranger far afield. The Germans have their shiny shoes, and the Chinese have electrical engineering students raining off of high rooftops, but give me the French any day."

This cracked me up. :)

Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: linnea on March 05, 2007, 01:40:08 am
Ahh, Pat's blog is like a fresh breath of vitriol on an otherwise pleasant Alaskan afternoon.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: katal on March 05, 2007, 04:12:30 am
Reading about Cornelius and Pat's experiences really makes me wish that I had opened a pub of my own. What excitement - all choosing what ales to offer, what to music to make available, etc.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Doc Benway on March 05, 2007, 09:09:45 pm
It was weird to read about Crewe Alexandra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe_Alexandra_F.C.) being shown in Cornelius' pub. Crewe is only about 5 miles from where I grew up, my Mum teaches in a school there in fact, and they are a pretty small (and to be honest, not very good) team. Strange choice, Mr. Onstad, but I approve.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 07, 2007, 10:32:58 pm
http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/03/nothin.html (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/03/nothin.html)

I am impressed that Ray understands there are Austrailians reading it.

I am impressed that he understands Austrailia has computers and it isn't just beer, surfing, koalas and rude bikini titties.

I am proud of the imaginary cat's worldliness.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Doc on March 07, 2007, 11:06:49 pm
Ray is correct. At the time he was having a good day, I was having a good night.
Did I just blow your mind?
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: linnea on March 08, 2007, 04:52:21 am
http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/03/nothin.html (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/03/nothin.html)

I am impressed that Ray understands there are Austrailians reading it.

I am impressed that he understands Austrailia has computers and it isn't just beer, surfing, koalas and rude bikini titties.

I am proud of the imaginary cat's worldliness.

Someday I'll get to visit Aus. It sounds like a fabulous country. Doc, suggestions about stuff to do there? I know that's kind of a tall order because it's such a huge country... anyway, you're in Queensland, right?
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 14, 2007, 01:13:30 am
Squirrel police are frickin' awesome. They have premeditated speeding and tickets for sweet cars.

http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2007/03/achewood-list-march-11-2007.html
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 14, 2007, 03:03:22 am
She took the time to delineate that she is Miss Lady.

Just to make her man-preferences perfectly clear.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: oball on March 14, 2007, 05:21:07 am
Austrailia

ARGH
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 14, 2007, 08:10:25 am
http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/beef-jerky.html
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/03/bacon-will-be-here-today-3142007.html

Quote from: Philippe
Hail Mary, full of grace, how does your garden grow?

I don't even know what to say about this, except an all time achewood classic.



Edit:  Wow, not to be rude, but does Onstad read TOUAMB :

5. Lots of excellent restaurants. I have to live in a "foodie" city. Also not negotiable.

Quote from: Chris Onstad

You will notice that I now embrace the term "blog" with both arms and a graceful, almost imperceptible brush of the cheek. I cannot do otherwise. It is like fighting a dying sea. Even a dying sea can crush you at the bottom of it, or float you for ages along disused trade currents. I will not go so gently into the goodnight that is "foodie," however. Everyone who uses that term, though there already were epicures, gastronomes, gourmets, and gourmands...well, shame on you. You sound like knee-dandling aunties, like a CEO named Charles who opts to go by the diminutive Chuckie. It's an idiotic term, and an embarrassment of the age. Like food is something we discovered in 1995. As though it were a novelty thing. There were already words, and good ones. Which are you? (These are pared down to their barest essence)

EPICURE/GOURMET: One who enjoys good food and drink.

GOURMAND: One who enjoys good food and drink in large quantities.

GASTRONOME: One who enjoys not just food, but its history and sociology.

Where does "foodie" fit in? I don't know. To me it rhymes with "poprophiliac."

I mean I don't care what you call things, but it would seem a coincidence that a message in one of the hottest threads here would use a fairly uncommon (I had never heard it before, so I guess this is mainly why I have this theory) word, and within two days it is on Onstad's blog.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 14, 2007, 12:01:13 pm
"Boy howdy" is a good thing to say instead of "d****t".
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 14, 2007, 04:46:07 pm
Quote from: Ruta Bagas
"Boy howdy" is a good thing to say instead of "d****t".

I'm more impressed that P-Money understands that it is a puppet telling him that and not a boy.

It is as though every character has been given a one-step bump up in intelligence.

Ray understands there are scams on the internet, P understands that the little boy in a cowboy hat is a puppet.

I wonder if this is a conscious development in characterisation or just that Mr. Chris just sort of doesn't feel like writing jokes about the super-dumb lately.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Doc Benway on March 14, 2007, 08:09:14 pm
All the talk of Bacon has made me realise how much I miss bacon sandwiches w/HP sauce. Bacon seems to be near impossible to find out here in Switzerland except in lardon form. Next time I go back to the UK that is the first thing I am going to eat!

Also, is 'bolumpus' a new Ray-ism, or does it have prior usage? Sounds a little dumb even for Ray.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 14, 2007, 08:28:58 pm
The Gourmet/Gourmand/Gastronome/Epicure/Foodie thing appears in the Achewood Cookbook (it instructs the reader to never use the word "Foodie").  I've had mine for two years or so.  I think this clears Chris Onstad of ripping off these more recent threads.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 14, 2007, 09:31:32 pm
Fair enough.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 20, 2007, 11:58:16 am
Re: Nice Pete's book tour:

noooooooooooo
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Doc on March 20, 2007, 01:19:01 pm
Someday I'll get to visit Aus. It sounds like a fabulous country. Doc, suggestions about stuff to do there? I know that's kind of a tall order because it's such a huge country... anyway, you're in Queensland, right?
Yeah I am. It would really depend on what you wanted to see, all the stuff you hear about the barrier reef, uluru etc. is true (ayres rock at sunset is f*cking epic, though I can't recall if they let you climb it these days). The major cities probably wouldn't hold anything too exciting apart from the standard landmarks. If you had to go to one place I'd say hit the northern territory and see some of kakadu, get some aboriginal culture into ya, that sort of thing. Way down south isn't too bad either, you can go skiing, see penguins and then go to the beach (possibly not in the same day). Also if you ever go to the very tip of Australia look for my hat, I lost it there.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Doc on March 20, 2007, 01:27:01 pm
Re: Nice Pete's book tour:

noooooooooooo

This is either the best or the worst sales tactic ever. I am freaking out over here.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 20, 2007, 01:44:15 pm
I think I have the book but never read it because it didn't actually seem interesting to me.

But it is nice that Molly has accepted that Beef is a terrible man. It makes things much easier for him.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2007, 03:13:40 pm
Huh.  Father's Bacon is made in Bremen, Kentucky.  Bremen is in Muhlenberg County, very near where the Everley brothers grew up.  All my Dad's family is from Muhlenberg County.  Huh.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 05:46:17 pm
That Nice Pete is warmed by the idea of communal showers is a nice touch.

Is it because he misses prison? Is it because he is a repressed homosexual?Is it because he is just Batshit Crazy and communal showers represent something ancient and dark to his addled mind?

Who knows? That's part of the fun of these things: the game of interpretation.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 06:11:35 pm
See? See!

That is how awesome the game of interpretation is!

You generated an entirely valid look on the matter that in no way occured to me at first.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 07:23:39 pm
Muhlenberg county is mentioned in my favorite song from when I was younger.

Also: I totally beef'd out today, and I am realizing that this is turning into a thing for me. damn.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2007, 06:34:10 pm
OK, I guess the man has the right to only eat homemade mayonnaise. I am trying not to hold it against him. But next time he misses a comic I am going to send him a jar of Hellmann's and suggest that it might leave him time for other priorities.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 25, 2007, 08:33:00 pm
OK, I guess the man has the right to only eat homemade mayonnaise. I am trying not to hold it against him. But next time he misses a comic I am going to send him a jar of Hellmann's and suggest that it might leave him time for other priorities.

With him living on the west coast tasting Hellman's would be a novel experience.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on March 25, 2007, 08:34:46 pm
With him living on the west coast tasting Hellman's would be a novel experience.

Don't they have the same stuff only by a different name out there?
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 25, 2007, 08:38:25 pm
Don't they have the same stuff only by a different name out there?

Supposedly Best Foods actually tastes different because when BF bought Hellmann's they decided to keep the different recipes so as not to piss people off. But this was like 80 years ago now so I'm guessing that the recipes have changed a bit.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: linnea on March 25, 2007, 09:40:56 pm
A home batch of mayonnaise? Damn. Doesn't he have some $500 Cuisinart or KitchenAid mixer to do the work for him in preparing the mayo?

Also, I thought that I was bad with the grocery expenditures. However, I don't count wine as a grocery item.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2007, 10:19:29 pm
I wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking he's not only so pretentious that he only eats homemade mayo, he may also be so pretentious that he will only make it by hand with a wisk instead of the with the blender.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 10:22:34 pm
In his defense, he cannot trust store-bought mayonnaise.

People might be drugging it in hopes of luring him into Maximum Cuddles.

People on the internet.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 25, 2007, 10:37:46 pm
In his defense, he cannot trust store-bought mayonnaise.

People might be drugging it in hopes of luring him into Maximum Cuddles.

People on the internet.

Or it might be the result of Maximum Cuddles...
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 11:00:31 pm
So that's the tangy zip in Miracle Whip.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on March 26, 2007, 03:46:29 am
I wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking he's not only so pretentious that he only eats homemade mayo, he may also be so pretentious that he will only make it by hand with a wisk instead of the with the blender.

For what it's worth, I can taste a difference (kind of big difference actually) between hand-whisked mayo and food processor mayo.  That could be because of some taint in my (ancient) food processor or some other unrelated reason (I haven't conducted a controlled experiment with double blinds or anything).  The food processor mayo I made I didn't like at all, which is probably a very good thing because if I did I'd be eating hell of homemade mayo and thereby clogging the shit out of my arteries (worse than already...)  At least if I hand whisk mayo I'm getting some exercise to offset the coronary choking goodness.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: theinevitable on March 26, 2007, 04:13:13 am
the mayo in the potato salad I bought from the grocery store is so sub-par.

it makes me mad, because normally I buy the mustard-based one, and that shit is amazing. But they were out.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: FutureDeadPerson on April 02, 2007, 12:44:41 am
I work at a nice sit down restaurant and I make the potato salad for the Friday giraffe Fry.*  The mayo is bought in bulk, therefore it is garbage.  However, I have been told numerous times that I make the best potato salad in town, possibly even county.  I do put a glorious helping of spicy hossradish mustard in it.  That is really the key ingredient.  That and love.



Gross.  :'(




*Wisconsin tradition


Edit: Speeling
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 01:31:10 am
Apparently fresh mayo tastes better but you can only keep it a week. I found a basic mayonnaise recipe here (http://homecooking.about.com/od/saladrecipes/r/blcon64.htm). I guess you don't use egg whites, just yolks? Weird. Does it taste better than a food processor if you use a hand mixer? do you use a whisk, AW? So many questions.

I really like garlic aioli on panini and whatnot. Oh! The Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_6049,00.html) has a recipe for that very thing from Emeril, which appears to be mayonnaise with garlic cloves added in. Hmmm.

Garlic Aioli
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Show:     Emeril Live
Episode:     Soup N' Sandwich
3 garlic cloves, chopped
*1 large egg
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 turns freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Combine the garlic, egg, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Add the oil in a slow stream and continue to process until the mixture has formed a thick emulsion.

Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2007, 01:34:37 am
Well, like I said, my food processor mayo didn't taste very good.  I only tried it once, so it could have been because of some unrelated factor.  There could have been something in the bowl, or the oil could have been off or something.  But generally, yes, I use a whisk when I make mayo.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Nabubrush on April 02, 2007, 01:35:29 am
One day, I will make my own mayo.

Oh, who am I kidding?
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 05:06:58 am
On the Food Network recipe, there is a little star by the Egg ingredient. However, there is no accompanying footnote. Does this mean that you have to separate the egg? Or does egg white sometimes go into aioli? I'm confused, Emeril. WTF.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2007, 05:16:41 am
One day, I will make my own mayo.

Oh, who am I kidding?

It's worth it. 
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2007, 05:23:59 am
It's worth it. 

You could fill a niche.  TOUAMB brand mayo.  I'd buy it.
Title: Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 02, 2007, 11:54:39 am
I always find aioli doesn't seem worth it when you can make alioli.

I made mayonnaise with added chive goodness from my garden once. It was unfairly wonderful.