Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb  (Read 6768 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:25 am »

http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/beef-jerky.html
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/03/bacon-will-be-here-today-3142007.html

Quote from: Philippe
Hail Mary, full of grace, how does your garden grow?

I don't even know what to say about this, except an all time achewood classic.



Edit:  Wow, not to be rude, but does Onstad read TOUAMB :

5. Lots of excellent restaurants. I have to live in a "foodie" city. Also not negotiable.

Quote from: Chris Onstad

You will notice that I now embrace the term "blog" with both arms and a graceful, almost imperceptible brush of the cheek. I cannot do otherwise. It is like fighting a dying sea. Even a dying sea can crush you at the bottom of it, or float you for ages along disused trade currents. I will not go so gently into the goodnight that is "foodie," however. Everyone who uses that term, though there already were epicures, gastronomes, gourmets, and gourmands...well, shame on you. You sound like knee-dandling aunties, like a CEO named Charles who opts to go by the diminutive Chuckie. It's an idiotic term, and an embarrassment of the age. Like food is something we discovered in 1995. As though it were a novelty thing. There were already words, and good ones. Which are you? (These are pared down to their barest essence)

EPICURE/GOURMET: One who enjoys good food and drink.

GOURMAND: One who enjoys good food and drink in large quantities.

GASTRONOME: One who enjoys not just food, but its history and sociology.

Where does "foodie" fit in? I don't know. To me it rhymes with "poprophiliac."

I mean I don't care what you call things, but it would seem a coincidence that a message in one of the hottest threads here would use a fairly uncommon (I had never heard it before, so I guess this is mainly why I have this theory) word, and within two days it is on Onstad's blog.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:14:20 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 12:01:13 pm »

"Boy howdy" is a good thing to say instead of "d****t".

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 04:46:07 pm »

Quote from: Ruta Bagas
"Boy howdy" is a good thing to say instead of "d****t".

I'm more impressed that P-Money understands that it is a puppet telling him that and not a boy.

It is as though every character has been given a one-step bump up in intelligence.

Ray understands there are scams on the internet, P understands that the little boy in a cowboy hat is a puppet.

I wonder if this is a conscious development in characterisation or just that Mr. Chris just sort of doesn't feel like writing jokes about the super-dumb lately.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 08:09:14 pm »

All the talk of Bacon has made me realise how much I miss bacon sandwiches w/HP sauce. Bacon seems to be near impossible to find out here in Switzerland except in lardon form. Next time I go back to the UK that is the first thing I am going to eat!

Also, is 'bolumpus' a new Ray-ism, or does it have prior usage? Sounds a little dumb even for Ray.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »

The Gourmet/Gourmand/Gastronome/Epicure/Foodie thing appears in the Achewood Cookbook (it instructs the reader to never use the word "Foodie").  I've had mine for two years or so.  I think this clears Chris Onstad of ripping off these more recent threads.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 09:31:32 pm »

Fair enough.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 11:58:16 am »

Re: Nice Pete's book tour:

noooooooooooo
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 01:19:01 pm »

Someday I'll get to visit Aus. It sounds like a fabulous country. Doc, suggestions about stuff to do there? I know that's kind of a tall order because it's such a huge country... anyway, you're in Queensland, right?
Yeah I am. It would really depend on what you wanted to see, all the stuff you hear about the barrier reef, uluru etc. is true (ayres rock at sunset is f*cking epic, though I can't recall if they let you climb it these days). The major cities probably wouldn't hold anything too exciting apart from the standard landmarks. If you had to go to one place I'd say hit the northern territory and see some of kakadu, get some aboriginal culture into ya, that sort of thing. Way down south isn't too bad either, you can go skiing, see penguins and then go to the beach (possibly not in the same day). Also if you ever go to the very tip of Australia look for my hat, I lost it there.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 01:27:01 pm »

Re: Nice Pete's book tour:

noooooooooooo

This is either the best or the worst sales tactic ever. I am freaking out over here.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 01:44:15 pm »

I think I have the book but never read it because it didn't actually seem interesting to me.

But it is nice that Molly has accepted that Beef is a terrible man. It makes things much easier for him.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 03:13:40 pm »

Huh.  Father's Bacon is made in Bremen, Kentucky.  Bremen is in Muhlenberg County, very near where the Everley brothers grew up.  All my Dad's family is from Muhlenberg County.  Huh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 05:46:17 pm »

That Nice Pete is warmed by the idea of communal showers is a nice touch.

Is it because he misses prison? Is it because he is a repressed homosexual?Is it because he is just Batshit Crazy and communal showers represent something ancient and dark to his addled mind?

Who knows? That's part of the fun of these things: the game of interpretation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 06:11:35 pm »

See? See!

That is how awesome the game of interpretation is!

You generated an entirely valid look on the matter that in no way occured to me at first.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:39 pm »

Muhlenberg county is mentioned in my favorite song from when I was younger.

Also: I totally beef'd out today, and I am realizing that this is turning into a thing for me. damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up