The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on March 21, 2007, 02:00:18 am
-
I was reading R's thread and was inspired by my answer (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3541.msg87649.html#msg87649) to start a thread about holidays.
My favorite holiday is the Wombie Thanksgiving, when me and kellichou were 16 and got to stay home in Denver rather than go to Wyoming to spend Thanksgiving with my mom's white trash family. Note: we are wombies cuz we're identical twins and therefore womb-mates, and it has nothing to do with wombat from this board, who is known as womby or wombles.
I have a great picture of me (I had a shaven head at the time, and I think I was wearing a Schwa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa_(art)) shirt) holding the baked turkey breast that we got. Kelli, do you remember what we did? Did we smoke a bowl on the back porch or garage and then have Thanksgiving dinner? We peeled potatoes together just as we have done every Thanksgiving since we were old enough to hold a knife. Man, I really miss going home and spending Thanksgiving with Kelli and my family. Sadface. This is what pisses me off about my boss not letting me leave the island more than once a fuckin' year.
Thanksgiving is one of my most cherished times of year, because Kelli and I have our birthday around then (Nov. 27th, same day as Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee, suckas), and Thanksgiving is just a great holiday anyway.
-
This is self-absorbed, but...my birthday. On my birthday, I get to dictate the terms and expectations. Whereas with other holidays, there are always obligations and disappointments and stress.
-
Superbowl Sunday.
In the old days I used to love hunting for easter eggs.
-
I like the Fourth of July. Not that I'm like "America Kick Ass!" or anything, but I like baseball games, picnics, and fireworks.
-
I like the Fourth of July. Not that I'm like "America Kick Ass!" or anything, but I like baseball games, picnics, and fireworks.
Yeah, that's my kinda holiday too. I like all those things (plus there's booze!) and it's not too high-pressure, and also I'm kinda jingoistic.
-
Is Steak and a Blowjob Day too obvious?
-
Superbowl Sunday, followed directly by Hallowe'en.
Can you believe my wife didn't think Superbowl Sunday was a holiday? Now who's being naive?
-
I have to go with birthdays, myself, although this may start to change now that I'm hitting the years when getting older is no longer joyous.
I realize it's only a para-holiday, but I've also always loved Christmas Eve. When I was a kid, I'd spend the whole day keyed up in anticipation, and we opened presents from remote family on Christmas Eve Night, which meant that the entire day was a holiday -- as opposed to Christmas, which was always an anticlimax after the gifts were open. Christmas Eve is delicious.
-
Christmas.
Christmas is the only holiday where basically everything completely stops for a few days and people just go and hang out with their families. Yes, all the meals and dealing with asshole relations is arduous but... I deeply appreciate everything stopping for a coupla days.
Everything should stop for a coupla days every month or two. We'd be a saner people.
-
I love Christmas. It's normally the only time of the year that I get to see my mom's whole side of the family-- 2 aunts, grandparents, 2 uncles, 2 cousins who are kids, and 1 (soon to be 2!) who are tiny and wonderful babies. Everyone comes to our house, and we all pack in. My brother sleeps in my room, one aunt and uncle sleep in his room, one aunt and uncle sleep in my sister's room... luckily the cousins/sister are still young enough that they really dig sleeping on couches in the den together for a few days. This year, due to the magic of wireless internet, my brother and I played Age of Empires II until 3 or 4 AM every day leading up to The Big Event.
I just realized, I haven't seen my aunts and uncles on the other side for... I want to say over a year. It's been a long time.We haven't gone up to Boston as much ever since my grandmother died-- we used to go up there every thanksgiving.
That side of the family has way more stupid drama, though. Or at least, they're not as good at hiding it.
at the same time, I end up getting really wigged out about finding presents for people. And until this year, I always ended up in "do I really need to get Aunt Sharon a present? If I get her something, I can't afford to get my brother anything good..." conundrums. This year, for once I had money saved up.
-
I have to go with Christmas too, not just the days themselves but the way everything slows down towards them (so i guess I'd include all the solstice based holidays), you actually feel like the world is taking a holiday. Considering how much people work these days it feels rare to have a 'holiday' that the majority of people actually take off (saying this as someone who worked through last christmas day).
-
Come on, Halloween! Candy. And ghosts and monsters. And one of the last authentic folk traditions we have left in this country - something that happens all on its own from the grassroots - no one can tell the kids to Trick or Treat on the nearest Monday instead or something, because no one is in charge. And one of the last vestiges of trust we have in our neighbors - taking candy from strangers. And, candy!
It's glorious.
-
I'm with you, Wombles - love Halowe'en! Dressing up, going to parties, indulging . . .
I'm Scrooge on Xmas. We don't celebrate it, actually. No tree, no lights, no nothing.
-
I'm sort of anti-holiday. I much prefer to show and share my love when it feels right, and I don't really like being arbitrarily force to spend time with people I don't care for just because of the date and my biological links to the day. I've had some beautiful Christmasses, but I've had some devastating ones too. I really, really wanted to skip last Christmass due to circumstances. I have some really awful memories of being pretend-happy which were just so painful. I do enjoy celebrating though - you know: milestones, events, etc. I just hate the "let's all pretend we get along" stuff.
-
Can you believe my wife didn't think Superbowl Sunday was a holiday? Now who's being naive?
I celebrate Super Bowl Sunday as my alternate birthday. I was born the day of Super Bowl IV. Therefore this year I turned XXXVII.
-
Your are a kind, benevolent and wonrous mayor, and are deserving of high praise.
-
I'm as old as the Super Bowl. You know, XLI.
-
I much prefer to show and share my love when it feels right, and I don't really like being arbitrarily force to spend time with people I don't care for just because of the date and my biological links to the day.
Of course! That's why - Halloween!
-
I celebrate Super Bowl Sunday as my alternate birthday. I was born the day of Super Bowl IV. Therefore this year I turned XXXVII.
Superbowl VII I think was on my birthday. It is a couple of weeks later each year now.
-
Halloween, hands down. I love that time of year - with the world remembering the heat of summer, but crisp winds and the first hints of rain. The quasi-neo-celticness of carving gourds to scare the demons coming through the veil at Samhain, my neighbors working on their papier mache skulls for Dia de Los Muertos, kids in costumes and giving out candy. Decorating macabre. Its wonderful.
Also, the lack of pressure regarding gifts.
Which, by the way, is seriously ameliorated by drawing names from a hat at Thanksgiving, if you have a large family (as I do). Christmas has pinched much less the last few years, and the recipient of my focussed giving has had a cooler present than I would otherwise have managed (due to dilution of attention).
I hate hallmark holidays, but do acknowledge Mothers/Fathers Day with a phone call. I try to make every day an act of appreciation for love, parents, grandparents (had I any remaining) etc.
-
Easter is probably my favorite holiday, mostly because I love this time of year so much. Things are green and flowery and being reborn. There's so much life everywhere. It's easy to like.
Thanksgiving is a favorite too. Good food to cook and to eat, family, fall... It's a good vibe.
Finally, December 23. I'm good with Christmas in general for many of the reasons expressed herein already. But for some reason 12/23 has always resonated with me. For one thing we moved into both of our last two houses on rainy December 23d's.
But it goes way back farther than that.
When I was a kid, Christmas Eve was a family day. School was out and festivities were peaking. Christmas Eve Eve was a different kind of day. It was a day for sharing the season with the world at large. I used to deliver jars of homemade pickles to my Grandmother's neighbors on the 23d. I'd ride around with my Dad and visit clients, friends or significant acquaintences.
It was close enough to Christmas to fully focus you on the season, but it was sufficiently removed so that you weren't completely wrapped up in family celebrations.
-
Finally, December 23. I'm good with Christmas in general for many of the reasons expressed herein already. But for some reason 12/23 has always resonated with me. For one thing we moved into both of our last two houses on rainy December 23d's.
Did you know they filmed your biography? Unfortunately it stars Jim Carrey. I don't think it turns out very well, either.
-
Chinese New Year is my favorite holiday, hands down. For an entire week or so, all my family does is cook a lot of food, eat a lot of food, visit other people and eat their food, and give money to the people younger than thirty. It's better than Christmas because I don't have to dish out any money, my fake relatives come to visit and we go to visit them, and did I mention the food?
Thanksgiving is also fun because my dad bought a huge grill that looks like a giant green funeral urn and it looks like he's trying to cremate the turkey.
-
[obligatory]My number three would probably be Festivus.[/obligatory]
-
Isn't the 23rd Festivus?
Also, my favorite is Thanksgiving. B-Days suck, on Christmas my mom totally gives me too much and I feel like an asshole/ spoiled, but on Thanksgiving we just eat and talk and drink. Plus, that is the only time all year that redneck, church basement green bean casserole makes its way into my life.
-
that is the only time all year that redneck, church basement green bean casserole makes its way into my life.
Evidently you consider this a good thing.
-
I certainly do.
That and corn casserole make Thanksgiving what it is.
-
Did you know they filmed your biography? Unfortunately it stars Jim Carrey. I don't think it turns out very well, either.
Apocryphal story involving The Number 23:
The time: Unknown
The place: John Q. College Movie Theatre (UCSD area)
The film: 300
The movie begins. People settle down, conversations stop. Moments later, a woman stands.
WOMAN: (Stands) Shit. I came to watch The Number 23. This isn't The Number 23.
MAN (seated behind Woman): (Stands) No. THIS. IS. SPARTA! (kicks WOMAN in chest, she falls onto chairs)
Fade to black, sounds of applause and budding lawsuits.
-
Yea, shes gonna owe so much money for damaging that guy's foot. I mean, who knows if he'll ever walk again. Think of the children.
-
I'm pretty anti-holiday for the most part. I strongly dislike Christmas. I hate shopping for other people (I barely tolerate shopping for myself most of the time). I'm always told, "It's not about the gift, but about the thought you put into it," and people have a hard time realizing that THE THOUGHT I PUT INTO IT IS THE PART I DON'T LIKE. I'm really bad at figuring out what people like and would be happy to receive. My wife is for the most part understanding, but thinks I can/expects me to get over it by the time we start popping out kids. That's gonna be the rough part of the year in the Haushold.
My "favorite" holidays... probably Easter (because as a non-Christian I'm kinda off the hook as far as actually having to DO anything). Thanksgiving has become a favorite too. I'm in the airline industry, and got to know a lot of people who would have rather been with their loved ones, but couldn't get there on account of it being the busiest travel time of the year. So I started inviting them to my place. Ten people hanging out with each other so they wouldn't have to be alone turns out to be a pretty good time.
I also throw an annual Super Bowl party. If the Super Bowl gets any bigger, it'll be named a federal holiday, and I see little reason why it shouldn't already be.
-
I'm in the airline industry, and got to know a lot of people who would have rather been with their loved ones, but couldn't get there on account of it being the busiest travel time of the year. So I started inviting them to my place. Ten people hanging out with each other so they wouldn't have to be alone turns out to be a pretty good time.
Hip hip hooray for orphan parties!!!
-
Apocryphal story involving The Number 23:
The time: Unknown
The place: John Q. College Movie Theatre (UCSD area)
The film: 300
The movie begins. People settle down, conversations stop. Moments later, a woman stands.
WOMAN: (Stands) Shit. I came to watch The Number 23. This isn't The Number 23.
MAN (seated behind Woman): (Stands) No. THIS. IS. SPARTA! (kicks WOMAN in chest, she falls onto chairs)
Fade to black, sounds of applause and budding lawsuits.
I don't care whether this is apocryphal or not it's now part of my movie-based religion.
Also i thought the 23rd was agnostica.
-
I also throw an annual Super Bowl party. If the Super Bowl gets any bigger, it'll be named a federal holiday, and I see little reason why it shouldn't already be.
But they can't call it Super Bowl Day because of the NFL's insane trademark lawyers. Last I heard they also want to TM "The Big Game." So I guess the holiday would have to be Commercial Day or Hot Wing Induced Heartburn Day.
-
Turducken Day.
Chili-Cheese Day. Con Carne.
I don't know. But this needs to be official so we can get that Monday off. I have never known something to be so true as this fact.
-
The day where I make Mole Poblano from scratch is a holiday in my mind. It's a wonderful, meditative state to cook all day, and sit down that evening to a deeply satisfying meal.
Also, I really like Spring Break - I normally don't tell the people I don't want bothering me that I have the week off, so it's a nice time bubble of hanging out with the people I want to and having private time to enjoy a break with no demands.
Halloween for me isn't so good. It used to be my favorite, but the kidlings in the neighbourhood are total bastards who steal everything that's not chained down and vandalize anything with a surface appropriate for smashing or spray painting on. Also, we get so few trick or treaters that its sort of sad.
-
But they can't call it Super Bowl Day because of the NFL's insane trademark lawyers. Last I heard they also want to TM "The Big Game." So I guess the holiday would have to be Commercial Day or Hot Wing Induced Heartburn Day.
I think the NFL would come to terms with a deal from the federal government to license the use of "Super Bowl" in connection with a holiday. "Enjoy having tomorrow off, America, courtesy of the federal government, official national government of the NFL and Super Bowl XLVII."
-
I think the NFL would come to terms with a deal from the federal government to license the use of "Super Bowl" in connection with a holiday. "Enjoy having tomorrow off, America, courtesy of the federal government, official national government of the NFL and Super Bowl XLVII."
I'm laughing through my tears right now.
-
My favorite holiday is the Wombie Thanksgiving, when me and kellichou were 16 and got to stay home in Denver rather than go to Wyoming to spend Thanksgiving with my mom's white trash family.
Yeahhhh! That was awesome. Talk about good times! I think we totally smoked, then sat down to our awesome Wombie Thanksgiving dinner. I made gravy, like I do every year. I'm the gravy expert of the family. That was such a great experience! Perhaps one day we should have another one! Or a reenactment!!! Woot!
-
Yeahhhh! That was awesome. Talk about good times! I think we totally smoked, then sat down to our awesome Wombie Thanksgiving dinner. I made gravy, like I do every year. I'm the gravy expert of the family. That was such a great experience! Perhaps one day we should have another one! Or a reenactment!!! Woot!
Fuck YES. Reenactment in June. Let's do this! Let's do this!