The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 26, 2007, 01:52:56 am

Title: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 26, 2007, 01:52:56 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03262007 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03262007)

Theres a rugby cheer that goes like this but it is not for the virgin ears of this board.

Look, internet friends, I am comfortable with my sexuality and all but what is with the obsession with man parts lately? First there is the man douche now there is the man porn. I think he miscalculated this move what with having a gay porn arc right after that bashing on the podcast and mention in mainstream media.

Also, the little fella is so cute when he's mad.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2007, 02:01:33 am
Oh, the rabbit footy pajamas. Exquisite.
 

Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 26, 2007, 02:18:20 am
Quote
Look, internet friends, I am comfortable with my sexuality and all but what is with the obsession with man parts lately?

Lately?

Good sir, I direct your attention this arc (http://www.achewood.com/?date=05182006) as merely one example of Onstad's obsession with man parts. Applesauce! Cranberry (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12212005)!

Anyway, I'm loving this arc. I especially love all the random shit that's on the coffee table, complete with a perfectly nice guitar just lying around.

Also lots of new art. Did Onstad hear that podcast calling him a bad artist? Is this his little "fuck you" to Scott Kurtz?
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 26, 2007, 02:19:47 am
I wonder how the little fella mispronounced "potatoes". Even for the purposes of a child alive-stuffed-animal, it is a pretty easy word to pronounce... even if the pluralization issues might need to be tabled for a time closer to when he's actually ready to see two German men shit on each other.

I mean, "potatoes". It's probably one of the first three-syllable words a kid would learn.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of pretending that those aren't pajamas, that it's actually a cheesy Halloween costume of some superhero called "Rabbitman" and... he loves it so much that sometimes he just wears it around the house without the mask or capes.

Just the plastic smock-shirt (smirt? shick?) and ##### of a matching colour and the special Rabbitman Rabbitshoes that only come with the DELUXE costume and if you bang your feet hard, they make cobbering sounds.

Because, y'know, the cape is clumsy and the mask makes it hard to see and breathe.

Part of this imagining is that Rabbitman's logo is not actually the head of bunny rabbit but the smock just has a picture of Rabbitman saying "Trick or Treat!" on it. I mean, that's just kids' costumes.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2007, 02:26:42 am
Speaking of attire this is one of those strips where I'm bewildered by the fact that Teodor appears to wear some kind of Elizabethan pantaloons, or something. I guess he's always dressed like that but I'll forget about his trousers for months on end and then notice them again.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: CortJstr on March 26, 2007, 02:27:41 am
Honey, why is there toilet paper on the coffee table? What? No, a whole roll of it. Well I didn't put it there.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 26, 2007, 02:33:14 am
There are rolls of toilet paper all over our apartment.

My girlfriend blows her nose in toilet paper. We buy her Kleenex, even the fancy kind that provides aloe to soothe your snot as it slowly dies and everything and... those boxes always end up crushed under a desk or the couch or the bed. And we constantly run out of toilet paper before the rest of us expect it.

It's sort of like the child who likes the box the gift came in better than the gift.

Four or five crushed boxes of Kleenex scattered about the place and no toilet paper at all.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: V-Adore on March 26, 2007, 02:55:32 am
I like the fact that Philippe knows exactly what Superman would or would not wear in the shower. That's quality.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 26, 2007, 02:56:59 am
It is a trick question.

Superman bathes in lava floes.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: AugustWest on March 26, 2007, 03:48:51 am
It is a trick question.

Superman bathes in lava floes.

No, that's Chuck Norris.

Sorry.  Really, I'm very very sorry.

also:

APPLESAUCE!
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Mantonio on March 26, 2007, 04:04:58 am
Anyway, I'm a big fan of pretending that those aren't pajamas, that it's actually a cheesy Halloween costume of some superhero called "Rabbitman" and... he loves it so much that sometimes he just wears it around the house without the mask or capes.

Just the plastic smock-shirt (smirt? shick?) and ****** of a matching colour and the special Rabbitman Rabbitshoes that only come with the DELUXE costume and if you bang your feet hard, they make cobbering sounds.

Jesus. That's exactly what I did when I was 7. (And 8. And 9. And 10.) I was Leader One from the Gobots. Only the mask looked like a generic Transformer and the only indication that I was L1 was that the costume manufacturer printed an image of that particular Gobot over the chest area. Eventually the costume fell apart. (hey, cheap plastic.) I didn't care, though, because by that time I had the cat costume to wear around for a couple of years. After that it? The Platypus.

Oh, and props to the stuffed otter for bringing the sass. Applesauce! indeed.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 26, 2007, 04:29:56 am
Four or five crushed boxes of Kleenex scattered about the place and no toilet paper at all.

You could always use the tissue as toilet paper if you're desperate.

Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2007, 04:54:33 am
I especially love all the random shit that's on the coffee table, complete with a perfectly nice guitar just lying around.

That's not just any guitar (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02132004)
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: MattFish on March 26, 2007, 04:58:02 am
I wonder how the little fella mispronounced "potatoes". Even for the purposes of a child alive-stuffed-animal, it is a pretty easy word to pronounce...

I'm pretty sure the way Philippe's mind works, he pronounced it correctly and simply wants reassurance.

Look, internet friends, I am comfortable with my sexuality and all but what is with the obsession with man parts lately?

More like pretty much every Téodor appearance for the past year being a repressed-homosex gag.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 26, 2007, 04:58:25 am
See? Exactly. Just a random, completely historic guitar lying around. That's perfect.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 26, 2007, 05:26:24 am
Exactly. This is exactly it.

Ray's entitled attitude about priceless objects has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

It is just laying around. The rich boy's (cat's) sense of entitlement has corrupted them all.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: linnea on March 26, 2007, 05:55:42 am
So is Applesauce the little-kid swear word?

The schvitz party that the DVD mentions is a bathhouse/sauna/sweat party. Schvitz is Yiddish for "sweat" but it can also be used to refer to a bathhouse.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 26, 2007, 06:05:37 am
My understanding is that the otter wants applesauce to make up for being lied to.
I wish I could demand applesauce whenever I am lied to; or I'd settle if I could become an otter.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 26, 2007, 07:40:18 am
Honey, why is there toilet paper on the coffee table? What? No, a whole roll of it. Well I didn't put it there.

I just assumed the toilet paper is there because that's where Lyle watches his (non-man) porn.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Doc on March 26, 2007, 09:36:21 am
The Teodore c*ck issue has been cropping up for a while (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01282002).

Teodore's look of rapture/horror in the second to last panel is great, and Phillipe has never looked more like a c*ck.

EDIT: Woh, when did that auto edit get implemented?
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: ack-47 on March 26, 2007, 09:42:06 am
My understanding is that the otter wants applesauce to make up for being lied to.
I wish I could demand applesauce whenever I am lied to; or I'd settle if I could become an otter.

This is the hardest rebuke young Philippe knows; he is calling his bear friend a fool and his decision to declare that showering man Superman nonsense in the staunchest terms at his disposal.

What impresses me about the obscure German man-porn Teodor is watching is that it is apparently silent. Not only does the TV make no noise, but the increasingly corrupt young otter is capable of mistaking a film of the rawest thing of dudes for the Olympics. No way would that happen if there were a soundtrack.

The only conclusion we can draw is that this is some kind of old-fashioned stag deal such as a loop from Weimar expressionist times. Maybe it never had sound, or maybe it did and the only sensible thing was to turn it off; it took until after the war for most to realize being in a talkie did not mean you couldn't shut up, and that kind of chatter would be rude to a hard-on. The fact remains that Teodor, in his compulsion to explore his surpressed desires, has stumbled upon a diamond of history in the rough of gay porn.

He has gone from discovering how to weep the weepy-weep way to satiating the homosexual monkey on his back to enjoying a front-row seat to history. And all he can think up to excuse himself is the Man of Steel having a rough day.

Entitlement indeed.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 26, 2007, 11:29:12 am
I'm pretty sure the way Philippe's mind works, he pronounced it correctly and simply wants reassurance.

He could have stumbled for the first time upon the fact that there are two common pronunciations of "potato". That's a rough time for a young otter.

He might just call the whole thing off.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Doc on March 26, 2007, 11:53:37 am
Maybe he just wants to make sure that he is saying it the same as everyone else so they don't call the whole thing off on him but he had to figure out a way to ask nonchalantly so no one might suspect that he doesn't know which way to say it. This single moment of theoretical paranoia is almost funnier than the strip to me.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: MattFish on March 26, 2007, 12:48:14 pm
This single moment of theoretical paranoia is almost funnier than the strip to me.

Quite a feat considering said moment is a mental construction of yours and yours alone?

He could have stumbled for the first time upon the fact that there are two common pronunciations of "potato".

Touché. If it turns out Philippe walked in and said "Hey Téodor, how do you say 'potahtoes'?" I would laugh heartily.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Doc on March 26, 2007, 12:56:24 pm
Quite a feat considering said moment is a mental construction of yours and yours alone?
Yes I am one of those assholes who laughs at his own private jokes while everyone else feels awkward. Now you know my private shame.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: oball on March 26, 2007, 01:28:07 pm
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/potatoes.gif)

I felt that this was relevant.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 26, 2007, 01:45:24 pm
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/potatoes.gif)

I felt that this was relevant.

And now you have gnocchi.

(http://pixpipeline.com/s/a232dcc3468b.gif)
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Omegatron on March 26, 2007, 03:21:01 pm
And we constantly run out of toilet paper before the rest of us expect it.

You need to follow these directions (http://www.instructables.com/id/ENHE6SASHIEV2Z8EZD/).
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Roger on March 26, 2007, 05:35:14 pm
Anyway, I'm loving this arc. I especially love all the random shit that's on the coffee table, complete with a perfectly nice guitar just lying around.

Apparently that table is pretty much permanently in that state. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282005) Toilet paper included.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 26, 2007, 11:45:52 pm
Apparently that table is pretty much permanently in that state. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282005) Toilet paper included.

No roller skate this time though. Everyone is safe.

Also, one major difference between me and the otter: at five, if I'd believed something was the Olympics and been told it was Superman, I would've turned around and gone back to bed, disappointed. Never cared much for Superman, but man, the Olympics...
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 12:21:18 am
So is Applesauce the little-kid swear word?

The schvitz party that the DVD mentions is a bathhouse/sauna/sweat party. Schvitz is Yiddish for "sweat" but it can also be used to refer to a bathhouse.

I hope you aren't suggesting that a bathhouse is an issue. It's all a good time for Teodore. (Apologies for lack of correct accents).
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: MattFish on March 27, 2007, 12:27:15 am
I hope you aren't suggesting that a bathhouse is an issue. It's all a good time for Teodore. (Apologies for lack of correct accents).

Alt+0233 is the only one I ever learned, because you can use é's literally everywhere

EDUCATION
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 27, 2007, 12:30:26 am
I think you can do that with control-alt-e as well.

The only ones I ever learned were single quotes, for people who were incredibly picky about the formatting of my essays.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 12:32:21 am
Alt+0233 is the only one I ever learned, because you can use é's literally everywhere

EDUCATION

Thank you. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:f9fyxqw5ldte)
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2007, 12:38:18 am
I think you can do that with control-alt-e as well.

The only ones I ever learned were single quotes, for people who were incredibly picky about the formatting of my essays.

Single quotes? Do you do a lot of sub-quotations in your papers?
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2007, 12:45:17 am
No roller skate this time though. Everyone is safe.

Also, one major difference between me and the otter: at five, if I'd believed something was the Olympics and been told it was Superman, I would've turned around and gone back to bed, disappointed. Never cared much for Superman, but man, the Olympics...

First Olympics I remember was Munich in '72.  Mark Spitz plus Israeli hostages = memorable.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 27, 2007, 01:12:26 am
Single quotes? Do you do a lot of sub-quotations in your papers?

One of my supervisors insisted on them for titles of short essays and poems and what-have-you. Single quotes are the norm over here, but as they're not the norm for the people who make the word processing software it all gets rather fuzzy.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: theinevitable on March 27, 2007, 01:48:37 am
...is an apostrophe different from a single quote visually?

' == 1/2 "
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 01:57:59 am
I like to think that's TT Boy in the police hat.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 27, 2007, 02:13:46 am
It is when your fancy-arse word processor is throwing curly punctuation all over the place.

Those things really spoil us.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: iron_felix on March 27, 2007, 06:42:42 am
What impresses me about the obscure German man-porn Teodor is watching is that it is apparently silent. Not only does the TV make no noise, but the increasingly corrupt young otter is capable of mistaking a film of the rawest thing of dudes for the Olympics. No way would that happen if there were a soundtrack.

The only conclusion we can draw is that this is some kind of old-fashioned stag deal such as a loop from Weimar expressionist times. Maybe it never had sound, or maybe it did and the only sensible thing was to turn it off; it took until after the war for most to realize being in a talkie did not mean you couldn't shut up, and that kind of chatter would be rude to a hard-on. The fact remains that Teodor, in his compulsion to explore his surpressed desires, has stumbled upon a diamond of history in the rough of gay porn.

He has gone from discovering how to weep the weepy-weep way to satiating the homosexual monkey on his back to enjoying a front-row seat to history. And all he can think up to excuse himself is the Man of Steel having a rough day.

Entitlement indeed.

Can'd for German expressionist porn.  That may well be the single most brilliant concept ever introduced into my brain.  I can just imagine the titles:  "Inside the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari."  "Dandy Doormen 7: The Last Laugh."  Also, welcome.

What about the opposite - Olympic events with a '70s porn-groove soundtrack?  We may be on to something there!  You and me gonna reinvent the Olympics, dude.  I just decided this.
Title: Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
Post by: ack-47 on March 27, 2007, 09:19:03 am
Can'd for German expressionist porn.  That may well be the single most brilliant concept ever introduced into my brain.  I can just imagine the titles:  "Inside the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari."  "Dandy Doormen 7: The Last Laugh."  Also, welcome.

What about the opposite - Olympic events with a '70s porn-groove soundtrack?  We may be on to something there!  You and me gonna reinvent the Olympics, dude.  I just decided this.

Are we talking classy porno or the real skanky stuff? I see it working either way: stereotypical smoky jazz lines mingling classily but faintly demeaningly with women's fencing, or cheap-ass too-early-for-MIDI synth boogie all taking the men's shot put and laying on teh sekksy with a trowel.

All anything as Freudian as the Olympics needs is music to suggest Ron Jeremy could show up at any minute and you've got something perfect.