Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!  (Read 7471 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 05:26:24 am »

Exactly. This is exactly it.

Ray's entitled attitude about priceless objects has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

It is just laying around. The rich boy's (cat's) sense of entitlement has corrupted them all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 05:55:42 am »

So is Applesauce the little-kid swear word?

The schvitz party that the DVD mentions is a bathhouse/sauna/sweat party. Schvitz is Yiddish for "sweat" but it can also be used to refer to a bathhouse.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 06:05:37 am »

My understanding is that the otter wants applesauce to make up for being lied to.
I wish I could demand applesauce whenever I am lied to; or I'd settle if I could become an otter.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:09:51 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 07:40:18 am »

Honey, why is there toilet paper on the coffee table? What? No, a whole roll of it. Well I didn't put it there.

I just assumed the toilet paper is there because that's where Lyle watches his (non-man) porn.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:36:21 am »

The Teodore c*ck issue has been cropping up for a while.

Teodore's look of rapture/horror in the second to last panel is great, and Phillipe has never looked more like a c*ck.

EDIT: Woh, when did that auto edit get implemented?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:52:06 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

ack-47

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 09:42:06 am »

My understanding is that the otter wants applesauce to make up for being lied to.
I wish I could demand applesauce whenever I am lied to; or I'd settle if I could become an otter.

This is the hardest rebuke young Philippe knows; he is calling his bear friend a fool and his decision to declare that showering man Superman nonsense in the staunchest terms at his disposal.

What impresses me about the obscure German man-porn Teodor is watching is that it is apparently silent. Not only does the TV make no noise, but the increasingly corrupt young otter is capable of mistaking a film of the rawest thing of dudes for the Olympics. No way would that happen if there were a soundtrack.

The only conclusion we can draw is that this is some kind of old-fashioned stag deal such as a loop from Weimar expressionist times. Maybe it never had sound, or maybe it did and the only sensible thing was to turn it off; it took until after the war for most to realize being in a talkie did not mean you couldn't shut up, and that kind of chatter would be rude to a hard-on. The fact remains that Teodor, in his compulsion to explore his surpressed desires, has stumbled upon a diamond of history in the rough of gay porn.

He has gone from discovering how to weep the weepy-weep way to satiating the homosexual monkey on his back to enjoying a front-row seat to history. And all he can think up to excuse himself is the Man of Steel having a rough day.

Entitlement indeed.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 11:29:12 am »

I'm pretty sure the way Philippe's mind works, he pronounced it correctly and simply wants reassurance.

He could have stumbled for the first time upon the fact that there are two common pronunciations of "potato". That's a rough time for a young otter.

He might just call the whole thing off.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:37 am »

Maybe he just wants to make sure that he is saying it the same as everyone else so they don't call the whole thing off on him but he had to figure out a way to ask nonchalantly so no one might suspect that he doesn't know which way to say it. This single moment of theoretical paranoia is almost funnier than the strip to me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 12:48:14 pm »

This single moment of theoretical paranoia is almost funnier than the strip to me.

Quite a feat considering said moment is a mental construction of yours and yours alone?

He could have stumbled for the first time upon the fact that there are two common pronunciations of "potato".

Touché. If it turns out Philippe walked in and said "Hey Téodor, how do you say 'potahtoes'?" I would laugh heartily.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »

Quite a feat considering said moment is a mental construction of yours and yours alone?
Yes I am one of those assholes who laughs at his own private jokes while everyone else feels awkward. Now you know my private shame.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:07 pm »



I felt that this was relevant.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 01:45:24 pm »



I felt that this was relevant.

And now you have gnocchi.

Logged

Omegatron

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »

And we constantly run out of toilet paper before the rest of us expect it.

You need to follow these directions.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 05:35:14 pm »

Anyway, I'm loving this arc. I especially love all the random shit that's on the coffee table, complete with a perfectly nice guitar just lying around.

Apparently that table is pretty much permanently in that state. Toilet paper included.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 26 March 2007 - Is this the olympics? No! Its Superman!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 11:45:52 pm »

Apparently that table is pretty much permanently in that state. Toilet paper included.

No roller skate this time though. Everyone is safe.

Also, one major difference between me and the otter: at five, if I'd believed something was the Olympics and been told it was Superman, I would've turned around and gone back to bed, disappointed. Never cared much for Superman, but man, the Olympics...
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up