The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 04:52:05 pm

Title: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 04:52:05 pm
Move all serious Category ideas here. I'll be contacting the mods and people at the old folks home to get this thing rolling.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 05:03:35 pm
Strip of the Year
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Drygioni on April 03, 2007, 05:19:27 pm
Strip of the Year

Let me get a webcam set up. I think I might be a genuine contender.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Drygioni on April 03, 2007, 05:34:42 pm
Sorry, this is a serious thread. I'll start making some serious suggestions:

Best Mixdisc? It was a relatively small thing last time, and not everyone heard them, so I'm afraid this might be a bit of a doozy.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:54:48 pm
I feel that such categories as MVP and "TOUAMBer I'd most want to meet" would probably be repeat wins. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worth doing, though.

Strangest escalation of a thread into flaming?
Best thread?
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 05:55:51 pm
Most Apporopriate Thread Lockdown
Next Mod
Most Likely to Completely Disappear One Day, Even Though We Know You're Not Dead or In Alaska Or Something
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 08:01:35 pm
Best Thread Digression From The Original Topic
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 08:27:17 pm
Best Thread Digression From The Original Topic

This would be a tough one. I used to fairly regularly give out an informal Most Wandering Thread Award, but the number of competitors just got to be overwhelming.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 08:37:45 pm
Best Thread Digression From The Original Topic

Best Thread That Actually Stayed on Topic. No Seriously These Exist
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 03, 2007, 08:40:19 pm
Move all serious Category ideas here. I'll be contacting the mods and people at the old folks home to get this thing rolling.

King of the Make-Outs (photo evidence must be provided)
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 08:58:07 pm
King of the Make-Outs (photo evidence must be provided)

I don't think photo evidence would mean much. I think you would need letters of reccomendation.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 10:51:45 pm
Equation of the week.
Yeah ok, I've got nothing. I just wanted to be included.
I do like the idea of giving awards to threads as well as posters though, if nothing else it means we could compile a list of awesome threads for newbies.
How about best CortJstring?
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 11:19:02 pm
Sorry, this is a serious thread. I'll start making some serious suggestions:

Best Mixdisc? It was a relatively small thing last time, and not everyone heard them, so I'm afraid this might be a bit of a doozy.

You only want this one because you are the obvious winner.  Where's the follow up btw.   Dude!
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 11:21:20 pm
I feel that such categories as MVP and "TOUAMBer I'd most want to meet" would probably be repeat wins. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worth doing, though.

Of course Melanie is a lock for MVP, but I doubt I am even in the running anymore for most likely to.  I stayed away too long.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 11:22:37 pm
The Bozack Memorial Nickname Award
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 11:23:40 pm
I was serious about the "have some dignity" award - for someone lacking in dignity as a poster and/or person in general

Most missed former poster

"Too much information" an award for a post where someone revealed more than we needed to know about them

Best Gina joke/reference

Best quality of life: an award for the board member who's real life away from his/her computer is probably fantastic

Married to the Net: an award for the board member who's real life way from his/her computer is probably non-existant

Best smackdown - the best response to a stupid/inflamitory/unnessary post

Best food-related post

Best thread

Best foreign board member

LOL award - award for funniest post


Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 11:24:58 pm
The Bozack Memorial Nickname Award

Oh yeah, that reminds me, Rumjay needs a new name.  She's all letters and numbers.  Fuck that shit.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 11:27:23 pm
The Bozack Memorial Nickname Award

I love this idea.  Ceremoniously awarding someone a nickname is a lovely idea, and perhaps us Mods could know who it is in advance and then collectively decide on nickname for the person.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 11:34:37 pm
Also:

Most Likely to be Onstad: an award for the member who is most likely Chris Onstad in disguise.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Drygioni on April 03, 2007, 11:41:30 pm
Best "Dude Who Has Got No Mercy" (Most wonderful Urban Dead player on the boards)
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 11:47:27 pm
Of course Melanie is a lock for MVP, but I doubt I am even in the running anymore for most likely to.  I stayed away too long.

But surely you are a shoo-in for Most Awesome Life, speaking of photographic evidence.

These are all great ideas for awards but don't forget how much rereading of the boards it's going to take to come up with nominations for a lot of them.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2007, 11:58:13 pm
Oh yeah, that reminds me, Rumjay needs a new name.  She's all letters and numbers.  Fuck that shit.

What's wrong with "Rumjay Numbers?" I think it has a nice ring to it.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 12:11:21 am
I was serious about the "have some dignity" award - for someone lacking in dignity as a poster and/or person in general

Yes, Hove some dignity is a cute little typo that V once made which became a TOUAMB meme.  Have some dignity is something Chris Onstad said to someone that was lacking dignity.  I can't remember the context, i'll never win the court jester award.


"Too much information" an award for a post where someone revealed more than we needed to know about them

I'm back in the running.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 12:21:12 am
Yes, Hove some dignity is a cute little typo that V once made which became a TOUAMB meme.  Have some dignity is something Chris Onstad said to someone that was lacking dignity.  I can't remember the context, i'll never win the court jester award.

I didn't make it; the original post was here, (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,847.msg15318.html#msg15318) by flenker, and there was some alcohol involved. I'm the one who has principally tried to use it as a meme (and generally failed), though.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 04, 2007, 12:22:18 am
Yes, Hove some dignity is a cute little typo that V once made which became a TOUAMB meme.  Have some dignity is something Chris Onstad said to someone that was lacking dignity.  I can't remember the context, i'll never win the court jester award.

Actually my research indicates that Flenker made the typo and V was just the first person to run with it.

I also vaguely recall Jough being the one who was constantly telling people to have some dignity but this is really hazy


[edit: this is what I get for pausing in my research to fetch a beverage. Damn you Cherry Coke!]
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 12:26:04 am
I also vaguely recall Jough being the one who was constantly telling people to have some dignity but this is really hazy

I recall Jough using the phrase frequently, but I don't think he originated it.  Perhaps he can tell us.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 04, 2007, 12:32:32 am
I recall Jough using the phrase frequently, but I don't think he originated it.  Perhaps he can tell us.

Duh (http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=07092003&allnav=1). Why did it take me this long to remember?
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2007, 12:33:53 am
Oh, I miss Ray's Place. We need more Ray's Place.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 01:55:15 am
I'm echoing my support for a few here:


Cutest TOUAMBie pet

Contenders for Board Mascot

Largest ego/non-ego

Angriest TOUAMBie Award

Most Eloquent/Articulate

Best Literary Reference

Best Popular Culture Reference

The Voice of Reason award: Best mod action

Nominees for Next Mod

Best Flickr photostream

Most Likely To Hole Up With a Sniper Rifle award



Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 02:09:28 am
I didn't make it; the original post was here, (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,847.msg15318.html#msg15318) by flenker, and there was some alcohol involved. I'm the one who has principally tried to use it as a meme (and generally failed), though.

I'd say you succeeded.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: jough on April 04, 2007, 04:18:09 am
I'm fairly certain that neither me nor Onstad originated the phrase "have some dignity" but I still think of the board whenever I hear it in the popular culture (i.e. in a movie, on a T.V. show, etc.).

And V, stop trying to make "hove" happen.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 04:33:53 am
This is a fight I have given up, Jough, in an attempt to hove a little dignity myself.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 06:40:57 am
If we give out awards for threads on an "of all time" kind of basis, it might be better to put them into some sort of Hall of Fame, either by literally moving the threads into a new sub-forum, or just honoring them appropriately should they still be active.  We'd have to set the bar pretty high, though (top 10, maybe, for the inaugural class?); once we start letting Bill Mazeroski-grade threads in the whole thing'll just turn into a huge mess.

Sorry, this is a serious thread. I'll start making some serious suggestions:

Best Mixdisc? It was a relatively small thing last time, and not everyone heard them, so I'm afraid this might be a bit of a doozy.

You only want this one because you are the obvious winner.  Where's the follow up btw.   Dude!

It just occurred to me - there are a bunch of new people who weren't around for last year's swap.  A follow-up would indeed be nice.  I think I am off now to create a new thread on the matter.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 04, 2007, 12:10:47 pm
best man posing with a large knife category
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Doc on April 04, 2007, 10:35:50 pm
best man posing with a large knife category
See I think we're only awarding things from the last year and you haven't had that avatar for at least that long... I think.
Also if we're going to start breaking out knife pictures I'll make sure you have competition.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: CortJstr on April 04, 2007, 11:03:36 pm
best man posing with a large knife category

Wait, that wasn't even you. It was your friend.
Title: Re: TOUAMBIES DOS Y CALIENTE
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 05, 2007, 03:06:19 am
I have a couple of my own. I just find it judicious to hide them since I am a middle eastern male with a security clearance.