The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 06:47:40 am

Title: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 06:47:40 am
Judy has proposed best mixdisc (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3594.3.html) as an award category for this year's TOUAMBies, but noted that not everyone heard them the last go-around (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2730.0.html).  It's been almost a full year since then, and there's a lot of new blood on the boards now such that it could be different and exciting.  Plus, I already have my own mix that is basically finished and just needs liner notes and some nice art.  What say you Party People?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 06:53:56 am
I say yes to mixdiscs! But how long would we have to make the mix, and what sort of music would qualify?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 07:31:09 am
I say yes to mixdiscs! But how long would we have to make the mix, and what sort of music would qualify?

I myself am one of the people who was not around last time, but I gather it's whatever you want, in however much time you want.  That would seem to be the arrangement most in keeping with the spirit of TOUAMB, anyway.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 04, 2007, 07:42:20 am
I vote yes. I like getting things. And making things.

And I think every disc should include at least one Cure song, since being Not Cats, we can never actually get 239,000 miles away from them (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002) anyway.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 07:43:14 am
I made a mix between that last swap and now.  I offered it to the board and my offer was completely ignored.  Completely!

I even made a best of disc that included my favorites from that last swap.

Ignored.  Completely.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 07:45:05 am
I am so making my "Ultimate Pierrot Lunaire" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot_Lunaire) mixtape now.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 02:24:08 pm
I made a mix between that last swap and now.  I offered it to the board and my offer was completely ignored.  Completely!

I even made a best of disc that included my favorites from that last swap.

Ignored.  Completely.

Aw crap! that is no good, paul. You make hella awesome mixdiscs. I want one, but I'm too lazy to make one to send you in return.

Seriously, party people. Swap discs with Paul, you will be glad you did.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 07:10:50 pm
Paul, I still have my copy of your mega-mix. I will listen to it, I swear.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for this swap, since it's something I wanted to suggest on this board anyway: how about a one-artist mixdisc swap? That is, a swap of mixes composed entirely of one artist/band's music. This can be as themed or non-themed as you want: do a proper theme, do a "Best Of...", do "Twenty Random Songs," whatever. The point is to try and create something interesting without any band variety coming into play. I'd love to hear what people would come up with, and it's an excellent way to get exposure for artists people may not have heard of or who are indispensable.

(I've been working on two themed R.E.M. mixdiscs, personally...)
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 04, 2007, 07:35:45 pm
Every time I try to write a feature script, I come up with a "soundtrack album" to write to.

Man, if I knew how to... rip mp3s or burn discs, I'd make a mixdisc of the soundtract to my 9/11 script "The Slow Hours".

There would be some sweet music on that album, if somewhat downbeat and depressing.

Which is subject appropriate, of course.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 08:06:31 pm
Paul, I still have my copy of your mega-mix. I will listen to it, I swear.

What!, you ain't listetned to that shit?  I figured you most of all would dig it.  It's got Cake, Ben Folds Five, Flaming Lips.  It was practically made with you specifically in mind.  Even though I made it before I knew you.

You have v1-6, you don't have v7 because you ignored me.   Completely.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 09:01:32 pm
What!, you ain't listetned to that shit?  I figured you most of all would dig it.  It's got Cake, Ben Folds Five, Flaming Lips.  It was practically made with you specifically in mind.  Even though I made it before I knew you.

You have v1-6, you don't have v7 because you ignored me.   Completely.

I'm listening to v1 right now. Feel free to slip a copy of v7 in once we do this swap. Cool?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 04, 2007, 10:38:22 pm
Yeah I want to get my mix on. I might try to do an all-aussie mix-disk. Hopefully slip in some bands you folks won't have heard of.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Teatime on April 04, 2007, 10:52:59 pm
This sounds fairly awesome. Count me in.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: theinevitable on April 04, 2007, 10:53:19 pm
ok, paul. Urgent question:
were your discs labeled with an acronym, and then a number?
did one of them have a Strokes song on it?

I might have forgotten what they were, and told my brother "I don't care if you say it isn't yours, I know it isn't mine." and put it on his desk.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 11:07:37 pm
ok, paul. Urgent question:
were your discs labeled with an acronym, and then a number?
did one of them have a Strokes song on it?

I might have forgotten what they were, and told my brother "I don't care if you say it isn't yours, I know it isn't mine." and put it on his desk.

Damn, that's as bad as leaving them on the top of a dumpster.  My disc are like Andrew WK to you.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: theinevitable on April 04, 2007, 11:37:44 pm
no. It was more of a thing where I own every strokes album, so I wouldn't have burned them on a disc. I knew my brother liked them, so I assumed it was something he'd made.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 05, 2007, 03:41:59 am
[H]ow about a one-artist mixdisc swap? That is, a swap of mixes composed entirely of one artist/band's music. This can be as themed or non-themed as you want: do a proper theme, do a "Best Of...", do "Twenty Random Songs," whatever. The point is to try and create something interesting without any band variety coming into play. I'd love to hear what people would come up with, and it's an excellent way to get exposure for artists people may not have heard of or who are indispensable.

Dammit V, now I have to go make a World Party mix as well!  I'll include it with my main mix for anyone who wants it.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Drastic Action on April 05, 2007, 08:08:16 am
I would love to get involved in this.  Are you talking about burning your discs and sending them out over the mail, or using something like sendspace or yousendit to send an mp3 mix?  The latter seems a bit easier to deal with.

And judging by the disparity I've got with most of your last.fms, this could be informative in both directions!  I swear, I must get at least one of yous into some crazy gypsy music or something.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: slink on April 05, 2007, 10:12:39 am
I swear, I must get at least one of yous into some crazy gypsy music or something.

Too late!
(Hah, even with Carnival Conspiracy down as my last listened on last.fm there... Timely.)

I've thought that every mixdisc season, but never got round to it. I refuse to do a mix without actually mixing the mix, which just introduced more and more work, and time needed which I lack. Maybe this time... At least one person would be like to enjoy it!
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Drygioni on April 05, 2007, 03:50:21 pm
I made a mix between that last swap and now.  I offered it to the board and my offer was completely ignored.  Completely!

I even made a best of disc that included my favorites from that last swap.

Ignored.  Completely.

Lordy Paul, when was this? I can't find the thread for it, I must have missed it. You don't have to go to the trouble of sending it to me and all, though it would be awesome. Your last discs you sent me were easily the top mixdiscs I received last year (Wombat and Q, yours were both fantastic too. But Paul won hands down)

I'm not much of a 'regular' here at the moment, but I'll find a theme and make my disc appropriately soon enough if there's interest.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: chuanoplast on April 06, 2007, 12:04:47 am
Are we posting the tracks once we have a tentative mix disk together?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: V-Adore on April 06, 2007, 12:05:43 am
Are we posting the tracks once we have a tentative mix disk together?

Some people do, some don't. It's really your call.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 06, 2007, 01:31:43 am
I'm not gonna spoil mine by posting a full tracklist, but I'll give a short teaser:


I also won't be making my mix available for download, since then you would miss out on the neat little CD booklet I'm making for it.  You'll have to get it from me the old fashioned way.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Drastic Action on April 06, 2007, 05:15:15 am
Heh, excellent.

So in what kind of time-frame would such a thing as this go down?  Just a "send a mix whenever" type of thing?  And for all you folks dealing in physical copies of the disc, you're mailing them out?

Or is it more formal, where each person gets another dude's name, and they all swap?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: side_show on April 06, 2007, 05:40:04 am
Please be honest: would you be opposed to the cost of a Canadian such as myself participating?  I do not know how much it would cost me to mail out to you folk, but perhaps I could take the risk of poor packaging to save $$$?  I am intrigued...
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: linnea on April 06, 2007, 06:18:39 am
Damn! You guys are all industrious little busy bees. I keep thinking I should make an awesome alt-country mix.

Or something that would be the Alaskan Experience soundtrack if one of y'all got to switch places with me for a day...?

Hell...now I'm tempted to do it. But I seriously doubt I could make anything to put in the little CD liner notes. That is just too much creativity for me to muster.

Also, smells, I would hella send you something. I swapped perfume with a girl in Greece and postage cost $20.50, but I got a bottle of Songes by Annick Goutal in exchange for my bottle of Narciso Rodriguez.

**EDIT, 1200 posts. whooooo
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: V-Adore on April 06, 2007, 06:35:23 am
I would be willing to send wherever; as I recall, the last time I sent out mixes, I sent one to Doc in Australia. All was well.

Anyway, I'm getting things put together; hopefully I'll have an announcement soonish.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2007, 01:50:40 pm
Did Doc reciprocate?  Because I don't recall getting mix from that guy.

I would totally send to Canada, it's not that much more.  I totally want a smells mix. 
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: side_show on April 06, 2007, 03:06:50 pm
Alright, I am in!

Also:
Damn, that's as bad as leaving them on the top of a dumpster.  My disc are like Andrew WK to you.
This is a reference from small times, and I approve.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: hound on April 06, 2007, 05:28:34 pm
hi my christian name is: hound and i will make a: mix tape cd
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 07, 2007, 12:25:36 am
I sent one to Doc in Australia.
And it was hell of appreciated.

Did Doc reciprocate?

No I didn't. I was completely a bullshit little man on that occassion but I hope to rectify this.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: theinevitable on April 07, 2007, 02:24:49 am
I will make one. however, sending it out before I get home on may 10th or so may be unlikely. I may not have, until then, the time to make a quality product.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: chuanoplast on April 11, 2007, 03:43:00 am
I am nearly done with my mixdisc now, but I need to know whether you would rather listen to a thirty-minute composition in its entirety or chopped up into bits and interspersed with other songs.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2007, 04:41:03 am
Do whatever you want and the good Lord will provide, I say.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 11, 2007, 09:18:43 am
I'm almost done with mine (stuck on the last couple of songs). I am trying to work out whether it might be easier (and cheaper) to send a bunch of cds to one lucky person who could then disperse them within their continent (using monies supplied by myself of course), this would also have the advantage that I could include enough postage to ship a box back to me so anyone who wants to wing a mixdisc my way could send an extra to said person saving y'all time and money.
Does this sound possible to anyone?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: jough on April 11, 2007, 12:59:11 pm
I'll make one, but I don't want to have to put it on disc or tape or anything.

Does anyone listen to music other than in some purely digital format now?

Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2007, 04:21:39 pm
yes.

so if you could have your mix pressed into an LP, that would be helpful.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2007, 06:46:06 pm
Lordy Paul, when was this? I can't find the thread for it, I must have missed it.

I posted a thread which sat unloved and unused for about two weeks.  I was so embarrased that I deleted it.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 11, 2007, 10:32:04 pm
The Saddest Thing
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2007, 12:43:38 pm
Ok so I finally made one. Anyone in desperate need of aussie music selected using my extremely mediocre taste should go ahead and hit me up with a PM with the address where I can stalk you.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Drygioni on April 18, 2007, 03:19:22 pm
While I'd love to receive one from you Doc (ooh cheeky) I'm afraid the shipping cost is immense. Is there some kind of secret Commonwealth postal service we can utilise?

(This is on behalf of other British posters too)
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: side_show on April 18, 2007, 08:51:29 pm
I'll make one, but I don't want to have to put it on disc or tape or anything.

Does anyone listen to music other than in some purely digital format now?



True, but... I don't know... there's something really fun about creating/receiving album art....
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 18, 2007, 10:30:40 pm
[...] if you could have your mix pressed into an LP, that would be helpful.

No vinyl, please.  My record player can only play 78s.

...I'm not sure how that would work as a mix, though, seeing how they each can only have one song on them.  Maybe you could just send me a big crate of them and tell me which order to play them in.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2007, 10:40:33 pm
Shipping cost isn't going to be too different whether I send to UK or US so don't sweat it Judy. As Asherdan said, I'm sending this out so you lot can be educated (or horrified) there are no strings.

Private to commonwealth subjects: we cannot discuss about her majesty's royal mail zepplin here, tune into BBC 3 at  15:34, all will be explained.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2007, 11:51:59 pm

 EVERYBODY DANCE LIKE THERE'S ASHERDAN-IN-YOUR-******

Oh yes, I need this. I don't care what's on it, I have to have it.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: side_show on April 19, 2007, 03:58:17 am
I have two ideas for a mixed disc:

Rude Titties - a collection of songs for getting nasty

Aux Canuck - a collection of mostly uncommon songs by Canadians

Maybe I could put together both and people could select which they'd prefer?  I'd be fine with that.  Does anyone have any strong feelings either way for one or the other?  Rude Titties is shaping up to be a set of fun and really NSFW stuff, and Aux Canuck is more about, you know, sharing the good stuff that never makes it out of the country (AKA there will be no Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Avril Lavigne on this disk).
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2007, 04:33:35 am
(AKA there will be no Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Avril Lavigne on this disk)

I will preface comment by saying I don't care for April Lavinge, and I don't dislike New Order, just so you know.

But I was in the record store on Monday (buying the new Neil Young Live at Massey Hall- So Good!*) and they were blasting the new AL at top volume.  When I went to check out there was a lady very rudely complaining to the lowly clerk about the music.  Kinda like shrieking to a call center employee she was.  The lowly clerk was being very nice, "it's not up to us, the management controls the music, etc..."  I peeked at her purchase and then looked at her and said, "well it could be worse, they could be playing New Order."  It was as if I punched her in the gut.  The look of shock on her face was priceless.  She couldn't process the idea that someone thought April Lavinge was better than New Order.  Her transaction was finished and she walked away without saying a word.  The lowly clerk gave me a smile that said thank you.

*Neil Young on a Canadian Mixdisc would be excellent.

3666 posts.  Devil Horns.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: side_show on April 19, 2007, 04:57:29 am
Oh, that is beautiful.  Standing up for employees when people are being cocks to them is one of my favorite things to do too.  You get canned.

Also, I don't know many rare Neil Young songs,  but I could put one on there that I just always love so very much and defined my teen ideas of romance... A couple days ago I read a hilarious article by a guy who proposes that we stop claiming Neil as Canadian.  The guy was interview him about his upcoming work and he said a few things to sort of key in to the fact he's spent less time in Canada in the past 6 year than the Queen of England.  Neil seems to think the Canadian Geese are going extinct, and even asked the writer of the article "what ever happened to the Canadian Goose?" and referrs to the geese as a dying species repeatedly in his newest album.  Neil is way of track here:  actually, the Goose population is so high they are almost classified as a pest right now, and in his old home town of Winnipeg where I roam, there are occasional traffic problems because there are so many geese that they just sort of go en masse and sit in the road in giant flocks, stopping traffic in both directions.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Doc on April 19, 2007, 07:23:15 am
I'd love to hear the canuck one Smells, that's kind of what I'm trying to do with mine, except I have no idea how Australian music penetrates into your continents so it's a bit hit and miss.


Paul,, as always, lives the life most of us only dream of.,
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 19, 2007, 08:21:46 am
Live at Massey Hall is one of the best live albums I have ever heard.  Almost as good as Dylan Live at Royal Albert 1966.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: melack on April 20, 2007, 05:44:00 am
I have two ideas for a mixed disc:

Rude Titties - a collection of songs for getting nasty

Aux Canuck - a collection of mostly uncommon songs by Canadians

Maybe I could put together both and people could select which they'd prefer?  I'd be fine with that.  Does anyone have any strong feelings either way for one or the other?  Rude Titties is shaping up to be a set of fun and really NSFW stuff, and Aux Canuck is more about, you know, sharing the good stuff that never makes it out of the country (AKA there will be no Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Avril Lavigne on this disk).

I love me some uncommon Canadian music. Two of my very favorite bands are The Weakerthans and The Constantines. I guess they're not that uncommon if you follow the indie/punk scene, but still. Plenty of good music up north.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2007, 02:23:41 pm
Who has disc ready to ship?  I am asking because I am too lazy to re read this thread.  I want 'em all, but mine won't be ready for several weeks.
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: iron_felix on April 20, 2007, 04:09:03 pm
In spite of the fact that I started this thread saying I already had a "finished" mix, mine's still not ready.  I need to finish the booklet, but that can't take too much longer unless I keep procrastinating.

I have two ideas for a mixed disc:

Rude Titties - a collection of songs for getting nasty

Aux Canuck - a collection of mostly uncommon songs by Canadians

Why not combine the two?  Music for getting it on with Canadians?
Title: Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
Post by: Drastic Action on April 20, 2007, 08:24:48 pm
I think, being still vaguely new here, I will probably just put mine up in digital form for all to download, whenever I am done with it.  I used to have stuff to make cd labels with, but all of the components have been lost in the wind.