The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: HudsonVC on June 11, 2007, 06:33:02 pm
-
Not your father's stag loop:
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06112007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06112007)
-
Sorry RMJ12345, you were 6 seconds too late.
Also, as if Ray won't rock it out old school.
-
The comic today was a little ho-hum, so I'm more interested in the news that you get the newest zine for free on orders of 25 buckaroos and up. Now I might finally have the excuse to order the Dude and Catastrophe shirt I've been wanting. Would you believe I haven't purchased any Ache-merch since 2002? It's true: the order took like 14 months to arrive, which kind of scarred me emotionally.
-
The talking cat is depressed that men ain't men anymore.
I have laid down the law to all my friends and my brother, however, that if I ever get married, there will be no strippers at my bachelor party. All other sorts of debauchery are accepted and encouraged: drinking, smoking cigars, smoking illegal cigars, gambling, recorded pornography, etc etc etc.
But not strippers, man.
I see a stripper and I just wanna give her a blanket and some cocoa and ask her who hurt her so much that she does this for a living and if I am allowed to go beat this person up.
I have had dreams where people bought me a hooker and I just ended up, y'know, talkin' to her. Couldn't get it up for some lady who's just gettin' paid. Usually, she ended up showing me pictures of her kids and stuff and then I threw in an extra twenty at the end out of pity.
Even in my dreamscape, I am a bleeding heart.
-
I see a stripper and I just wanna give her a blanket and some cocoa and ask her who hurt her so much that she does this for a living and if I am allowed to go beat this person up.
Don't you think it's incredibly patronising to assume that anyone who strips for a living only does so because they are broken in some way?
-
Don't you think it's incredibly patronising to assume that anyone who strips for a living only does so because they are broken in some way?
Well, it's not exactly every little girl's dream to grow into someone who dances naked on a pole for a living, is it? I'd say most of these women either made a poor decision or had a poor decision made for them at some along the road.
-
Hurts Ray? Hell that hurts me.
-
Hell, those bachelor parties would be too lame for Pat fuck*ng Reynolds!
-
Don't you think it's incredibly patronising to assume that anyone who strips for a living only does so because they are broken in some way?
Uh, I take it you've never talked to strippers outside of a strip joint. I'm sure that men like to think of strippers as good little whores who know their place and just loooove degradation. After all, they sure put on a pretty good show at the club, eh? "Hee, I love to party like a rock star and I know that I'm hot so I just love taking my clothes off for money! Hee! Being a stripper rocks." In reality, I don't think it's like that. One of my good friends from high school was a stripper...she had been abused as a kid, and all of her huge stripclub earnings went straight up her nose. I don't know where she is or what she's doing now. Her name at the club was "Aspen".
When I was younger, I figured that women were capable of making their own choices, and I figured that sex work was pretty sad but that it could theoretically be a justifiable career choice for some people. And I'm sure that there are some people who enter the sex work industry who aren't "broken". But if someone grows up in a patriarchical culture where female degradation is so commonplace that most people don't even notice... and if someone is sexually assaulted (something horribly depressing like 90% of all sex workers were sexually abused as children) then the concept of "free will to choose sex work" pretty much flies out the window.
ANYWAY... I don't think I'll ever get engaged again at this point. But I would never marry someone who thinks that being a john (i.e., visiting prostitutes or strippers) is okay. If I get married, it's going to have to be about fidelity, and you can't bang a hooker or get a handjob from a stripper while remaining true to your fiancee. Sorry.
-
A can for HudsonVC because I literally opened TOUAMB muttering "please let it be Ayurvedic tapas, please let it be Ayurvedic tapas," and lo and behold.
Anyway, I trust Ray to come up with something appropriately raunchy, disasterous, and awesome. I mean, this is what Ray's about. This is his home game.
-
Well, it's not exactly every little girl's dream to grow into someone who dances naked on a pole for a living, is it? I'd say most of these women either made a poor decision or had a poor decision made for them at some along the road.
Melack: Never been to Spokane, WA.
-
They're not all broken people. I've had some interesting conversations around the why's and wherefor's of choosing sex work with a gal here or there. The one's that aren't busted too bad inside are taking advantage of the limited opportunities and assets they have to bank roll their way out to a better reality.
Unfortunately, this isn't the standard. Most of those gals are damaged deeply.
I'd adjust by giving them a bill under each eyelid if I'd done that kind of thing in the last 10 years.
I visited a strip club in my first year for a women's studies project. The strippers I talked to were very nice, and didn't seem to be handicapped. They were articulate, and seemed happy.
I also have a friend from high school who's a stripper now (I think) but she's completely insane and makes very very poor personal choices as a general habit. However, knowing her, I would gamble that she's not unhappy because she strips, if she's unhappy.
I think it's sad that such an occupation exists, but I'm not going to judge those who choose to make their living that way.
-
More than 24 hours and still nobody's brought this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10082002) up. I'm a little disappointed.
-
My future best man informed me once that my bachelor party would combine two of the manliest events with a twist. Basically we would go into the woods with an ocean of liquor, hunting rifles, and roughly a dozen women-of-the-night. Then, combining elements of hunting and prostitution, things would take off from there. The audio would be recorded and then dubbed over a video of my wedding.
-
Then, combining elements of hunting and prostitution, things would take off from there. The audio would be recorded and then dubbed over a video of my wedding.
Dear sir,
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
-
My future best man informed me once that my bachelor party would combine two of the manliest events with a twist. Basically we would go into the woods with an ocean of liquor, hunting rifles, and roughly a dozen women-of-the-night. Then, combining elements of hunting and prostitution, things would take off from there. The audio would be recorded and then dubbed over a video of my wedding.
What's up A-CAP? Where've you been lately?
-
What's up A-CAP? Where've you been lately?
I actually work most in the summer months. Between my summer jobs and working on getting published in economics journals, I haven't had much time. But when this strip sparked the conversation between me and my future best man I couldn't resist but to post.
-
Then, combining elements of hunting and prostitution, things would take off from there. The audio would be recorded and then dubbed over a video of my wedding.
I can see this idea working splendidly, provided nobody ever discovers the video and/or bodies.
-
Hunting/Prostitution Mash Up: the totally nightmarish version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton)
-
Wow. That was horrifying. Here's a journalistic write-up (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/robert_pickton/1.html). Stacey and I went on vacation in Vancouver in the summer of 1999. We didn't hang out in the Downtown Eastside area, although we skirted around it on some of our waterfront walks. I do remember being surprised at how many, many homeless people there were in the city, in general. Lots of rather young people - late teens and 20's. The homeless in SFO tend to be in their 40's & 50's. Maybe they move south as they get older to avoid bad winters.
-
I accidentally walked right in to a park where people were just sitting around shooting heroin when I was in the area. Our tourist book didn't bother to mention that Chinatown had degraded into the poorest zip code in North America about 15 years before we got there.
-
I would hope that, if/when I get married, my friends would know that I would hate something like this.
But maybe that's not true. no strippers, though. they terrify me.
-
I got picked up by a stripper once when I was in high school.
The fully-nude places in my hometown don't serve booze, so they're a magnet for 18-year-olds who can't get into regular bars. I went with some friends to a place called Lisa's Cabaret where my friend Geoff started chatting up a lady while I was picking up our round of Red Bull. The stripper sat down in my seat and when I returned I called her out on it. She patted her knees and told me to hop on, which I did (because I was 18 and she was a very pretty woman wearing nearly nothing).
After about ten seconds of amused chuckles, she decided to stand up. She reached under one of my arms and under my knees as she stood, so I was basically being cradled by this small woman for a second until it got mutually uncomfortable and we let go of each other.
I guess it was more "lifted" than "picked up," but that doesn't sound as interesting as a conversation starter.
-
I accidentally walked right in to a park where people were just sitting around shooting heroin when I was in the area. Our tourist book didn't bother to mention that Chinatown had degraded into the poorest zip code in North America about 15 years before we got there.
Chinatown NYC or Chinatown somewhere in california?
-
Chinatown NYC or Chinatown somewhere in california?
Pay attention!
I accidentally walked right in to a park where people were just sitting around shooting heroin when I was in the area. Our tourist book didn't bother to mention that Chinatown had degraded into the poorest zip code in North America about 15 years before we got there.
Wow. That was horrifying. Here's a journalistic write-up (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/robert_pickton/1.html). Stacey and I went on vacation in Vancouver in the summer of 1999. We didn't hang out in the Downtown Eastside area, although we skirted around it on some of our waterfront walks.
Vancouver's Chinatown is also quite famous. Dr Sun Yat-sen did a fair bit of fund-raising for the revolution that overthrew the Qing dynasty there. A garden was dedicated to him in downtown Vancouver in 1986.