The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: gloomba on August 15, 2007, 11:01:52 pm

Title: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 15, 2007, 11:01:52 pm
I just registered here, although I've been lurking since this board was on plagiarist.com, and I thought I should probably make an introductory post so that when I post in another topic saying something inane, people won't be all (incredulously) "you registered just to say that inane thing?"  I'm originally from Mississippi but right now I live in Florida, where I've just finished grad school but haven't got a job yet, which is why I'm spending my time on webcomic forums.  Oh, and I enjoy Achewood.  Further information is available upon request.

So, hi.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: CortJstr on August 15, 2007, 11:05:48 pm
What are your thoughts on pretend baseball, knitting, bacon, motorboating, and giraffe placenta?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jaydub on August 15, 2007, 11:08:27 pm
Did you know cats have barbs on their penes?  Well, male ones anyway.  Now you do.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 15, 2007, 11:44:01 pm
Pretend baseball: About as interesting to me as real baseball (i.e. not at all).
Knitting: I'm in favor of it for old ladies but not so much for hipsters.
Bacon: Good.
Motorboating: Fun for all ages.  Unless you mean it literally in which case it's kind of dull.
Giraffe placenta: I've never tried it.
Barbed penes: I'm aware, but only secondhand.  There was a passage in one of the Red Dwarf novels that explored in some detail the issue of backwards (temporally speaking, not physically) sex with a creature evolved from cats, and it's always sort of stuck with me (no pun intended).
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2007, 11:45:39 pm
You started a thread just to say that inane thing?

Sorry, it was irresistible. Grad school in what?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 16, 2007, 12:01:39 am
Motion picture, television, and recording arts.

Yeah, I went to film school.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: linnea on August 16, 2007, 01:09:24 am
Welcome. Glad you de-lurked.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: AugustWest on August 16, 2007, 02:07:34 am
What the hell took you so long.  We don't bite.  Often.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: smick on August 16, 2007, 03:00:41 am
Knitting: I'm in favor of it for old ladies but not so much for hipsters.

What about middle aged fellows, who don't hold any truck with your "Cold War Kids" or your "Plain White Tees"?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2007, 03:08:20 am
This place is really going downhill.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2007, 03:27:07 am
smick, you are a hipster - an aging hipster.  But don't worry - you're on my team. 

Gloomba - welcome.  Sounds like your posting is long overdue!  Feel free to ask me or any of the other mods for help or input if you need it, otherwise... inane is the way we play here.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: smick on August 16, 2007, 04:40:52 am
smick, you are a hipster - an aging hipster.  But don't worry - you're on my team. 

The more I think about it, guilty as charged.

Oh man... I better go find some teenage girls to invite over to listen to my Pixies B-Sides while I still can!
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Lister on August 16, 2007, 07:04:04 am
Full Sail or DAVE?  Or one of those "real" schools with campuses and whatnot?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2007, 07:58:14 am
The more I think about it, guilty as charged.

Oh man... I better go find some teenage girls to invite over to listen to my Pixies B-Sides while I still can!

There's nothing wrong with being an aging hipster.  Afterall, we have better beer in our fridges, and know how to make a tasty bean-based dip - and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Doc on August 16, 2007, 09:36:18 am
There was a passage in one of the Red Dwarf novels that explored in some detail the issue of backwards (temporally speaking, not physically) sex with a creature evolved from cats, and it's always sort of stuck with me (no pun intended).

That was a very good series of books, I was always suprised how far it leant towards hard sci fi, I lost my omnibus in high school and have missed it for years. You're good people.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 16, 2007, 11:47:15 am
Full Sail or DAVE?  Or one of those "real" schools with campuses and whatnot?

That would be the latter -- Florida State.  They've actually got a pretty good program, if I do say so myself.

What about middle aged fellows, who don't hold any truck with your "Cold War Kids" or your "Plain White Tees"?

Middle aged fellows can knit until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned.

What the hell took you so long.  We don't bite.  Often.

I suppose I never felt I had anything to contribute that would justify registration.  That's still the case, but I've come to the conclusion that if there's one thing I need more of in my life, it's interaction with internet strangers, so I thought I'd give it a go.

This place is really going downhill.

Sorry?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Doc on August 16, 2007, 01:16:38 pm
That avatar is worth registering for.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2007, 03:42:32 pm
Sorry?
I was kidding, because you made it sound like you hadn't registered because you didn't have anything to say up until now. In fact:
I suppose I never felt I had anything to contribute that would justify registration.  That's still the case, but I've come to the conclusion that if there's one thing I need more of in my life, it's interaction with internet strangers, so I thought I'd give it a go.
If you look at my contributions, you'll notice they're pretty damn thin. That never stopped me from making them!
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2007, 04:01:59 pm
There's nothing wrong with being an aging hipster.  Afterall, we have better beer in our fridges, and know how to make a tasty bean-based dip - and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Can I be an aging hipster, too?  Or does that imply that at some point in my life I have to have been hip? 

Also, welcome to the board, gloomba.  Your handle reminds me of my old pal Doomglobe, who nobody liked but me.  So I automatically and simultaneously like you and find you suspicious. 
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 16, 2007, 04:18:06 pm
Also, welcome to the board, gloomba.  Your handle reminds me of my old pal Doomglobe, who nobody liked but me.  So I automatically and simultaneously like you and find you suspicious. 

That's a pretty good combination.  Thanks.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2007, 04:37:05 pm
Your handle reminds me of my old pal Doomglobe, who nobody liked but me.   
I liked Doomglobe.  Of course, I also like Mr Chee, so there's not much to recommend my opinions.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2007, 05:18:58 pm
I liked Doomglobe.  Of course, I also like Mr Chee, so there's not much to recommend my opinions.

What was your take on THE SUGAH RAIN?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: linnea on August 16, 2007, 05:50:19 pm
gloomba, you seem like the good sort, not like some other noobs who have snuck in, drank all the good booze, and pissed on the curtains before we've shoved them out. I remember my obnoxiousivity when I first got here, after all. I still feel like a newcomer since I have no idea what the giraffe placenta thing is about. That was before my time.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 16, 2007, 05:59:23 pm
Do you believe in socialism or free market anarchy? There is no in between, choose now.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 16, 2007, 06:07:42 pm
Do you believe in socialism or free market anarchy? There is no in between, choose now.

That's a tough choice, but I suppose I'd have to go with anarchy and just naïvely hoping that it will work itself out.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2007, 06:12:58 pm
gloomba, you seem like the good sort, not like some other noobs who have snuck in, drank all the good booze, and pissed on the curtains before we've shoved them out. I remember my obnoxiousivity when I first got here, after all. I still feel like a newcomer since I have no idea what the giraffe placenta thing is about. That was before my time.

Hell, gloomba gets points for even recognizing that the question referred to eating giraffe placenta.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 16, 2007, 06:15:41 pm
That's a tough choice, but I suppose I'd have to go with anarchy and just naïvely hoping that it will work itself out.

Welcome to the dark side.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 16, 2007, 06:19:00 pm
Hell, gloomba gets points for even recognizing that the question referred to eating giraffe placenta.

Then I have a confession to make: I didn't recognize that; I just assumed it.  I mean, what else are you going to do with it?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: smick on August 16, 2007, 06:48:58 pm
Why is no one concerned that Nanny has no head?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2007, 06:58:34 pm
I still feel like a newcomer since I have no idea what the giraffe placenta thing is about. That was before my time.

Hell, I was here for it and I have no idea what it was about.  Just one of those things, I suppose. 
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2007, 07:53:52 pm
Hell, I was here for it and I have no idea what it was about.  Just one of those things, I suppose. 

I think it may have caused the very first "*weeps*" post from you, so that's something.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2007, 08:37:23 pm
Then I have a confession to make: I didn't recognize that; I just assumed it.  I mean, what else are you going to do with it?
1. Wear it as a hat
2. Plant a tree on it
3. Hang it on a wall as art
4. Make "placenta prints" with it
5. Practice venipuncture with it (for aspiring phlebotomists)
6. (Take?  Have?  Make?) a facial with it
7. Dress wounds/burns/ulcers with it (presumably on giraffes)

I only made one of those up.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2007, 11:59:10 pm
Did you register just to get a birthday thread? 

Suspicion. 
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: gloomba on August 17, 2007, 12:11:21 am
Did you register just to get a birthday thread? 

Suspicion. 

What?  Moi?  Why, I never!
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 17, 2007, 02:43:08 am
Also, welcome to the board, gloomba.  Your handle reminds me of my old pal Doomglobe, who nobody liked but me.

Oh no you didn't. I love Doomglobe.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jay-ell on August 17, 2007, 03:11:58 am
Odd.  I had the distinct impression most people thought he displayed trollish tendancies. 

I talked to him frequently on AIM, so perhaps I "got" him a little better than most.  He did tend to have an unusual sense of humor.  Rough chuckles, at times. 

Listen to me all talking about him like he's dead.  It's been years since I've talked to him at all...wonder where he went? 
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Doc on August 17, 2007, 03:44:43 am
I wasn't around for doomglobe but I can't imagine there are many chuckles rougher than what Bobby spouts and everyone loves him.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 17, 2007, 05:03:10 am
DG wandered in here a few weeks ago. He hasn't dropped off the face of the . . . globe?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2007, 05:16:19 am
As far as I remember I always liked him.  I mean, I don't remember not liking him, so the default is that he's OK.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: wombat on August 17, 2007, 01:04:31 pm
I liked him too!

Maybe someone should email him and tell him we're all talking about how much we love him. Maybe he'll come back.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jough on August 17, 2007, 01:16:10 pm
I didn't like Obnoxious J, but I liked Doomglobe.

Now NOT TO BE MENTIONED HERE, that's a different story...
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2007, 01:17:24 pm
1. Wear it as a hat
2. Plant a tree on it
3. Hang it on a wall as art
4. Make "placenta prints" with it
5. Practice venipuncture with it (for aspiring phlebotomists)
6. (Take?  Have?  Make?) a facial with it
7. Dress wounds/burns/ulcers with it (presumably on giraffes)

I only made one of those up.

You were like the Martha Steward of giraffe placentas, all finding new and clever household uses for them!
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2007, 04:57:48 pm
Way, way back in Dumbrella days, doomglobe was searingly mean to me, but I seem to recall jough calling him out on it.  I don't remember the instance, but it was something about him calling me some nasty names.  After that I sort of pussyfooted around him, and he turned out to be a dude of quality so I forgot about it over time.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2007, 05:15:38 pm
damn, dude, it is good that you are here. I would like to think that I am, rather than an aging-hipster, some sort of proto-hipster, as, you know, I am 19.

I seem to remember thinking that doomglobe was pretty OK.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jaydub on August 17, 2007, 06:18:52 pm
You were like the Martha Steward of giraffe placentas, all finding new and clever household uses for them!
Probably more like Heloise.  Although all I did was Google uses for placenta -recipe (we already know that some folks'll eat it).
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 17, 2007, 09:29:40 pm
Way, way back in Dumbrella days, doomglobe was searingly mean to me, but I seem to recall jough calling him out on it.  I don't remember the instance, but it was something about him calling me some nasty names.  After that I sort of pussyfooted around him, and he turned out to be a dude of quality so I forgot about it over time.

I got hammered by many folks over there. Of course, they let pretty much anybody in there. Some of those folks were straight-up cocks.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 17, 2007, 09:38:38 pm
I haven't gone back there in years. Some of those folks were absolutely severe in their treatment of others. I like it much better here where everyone is almost always polite.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jough on August 18, 2007, 02:23:25 am
Fuck you both in the FACE.  You think I ain't read between the lines, motherFUCKERS?
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jay-ell on August 18, 2007, 03:06:34 am
Yaaay! 

Jough is rude, FTW! 
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: jough on August 18, 2007, 04:03:02 am
Hey, fuck you too.

*smooch*
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2007, 06:49:06 am
Fuck you both in the FACE.  You think I ain't read between the lines, motherFUCKERS?

Fuck you, you dirty cocksucker. Asslick.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2007, 06:54:10 am
Let's not start sucking each others cocks just yet.
Title: Re: I live in your message board now. Hi.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 18, 2007, 11:41:31 am
Fuck you both in the FACE.  You think I ain't read between the lines, motherFUCKERS?

Why is jough talking shit about my fantasty baseball team?