The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 04:53:12 am

Title: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 04:53:12 am
I know there are some of us here who enjoy a good brew and there even more of us who enjoy a good touamb community event.
This will either work or it will not. I am just throwing this out there for consideration:
I am willing to organize a sort of secret santa beer touamb event. All those interested would let me know via PM/AIM/Email and I would have a non-involved party match us up randomly. Such that each person would send the other a beer or liquor in the value of $15-40. I think it would be fun, but what the hell do I know. If there are enough interested parties, I will start taking emails of names and addresses so that this can be done before Halloween.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2007, 05:32:52 am
Shit yes, holmes.

I AM IN.

Mailing hooch is against the US Code, yes? Oh well, this is a gift system, not like we're selling it.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 25, 2007, 06:30:45 am
The mailing of alcoholic beverages is a state-by-state issue. It's not a Federal issue. It's more of a state's ability to tax the adult beverage issue, although they try to argue that it's to promote local and regional choices in wine and beer. My wife used to work for a major winery and dealt with this issue with relative frequency.

As a postal employee, I can tell you that when you ship a shoe-box shaped flat rate box (which, coincidentally, would probably hold a six pack very nicely) for $8.90 (up to 70#) the clerk will ask you if it contains anything liquid, perishable, flammable or hazardous. They will not check to verify nor will they hook you up to a polygraph. Just sayin' is all.

I have seen how these get treated, so pack and pad them VERY VERY well.

J



Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2007, 01:10:01 pm
Yup, it's illegal to mail beer to me in Maryland. Now on the other hand if anyone wants to mail me chocolate...
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 04:03:28 pm
I shipped liquor to both Onstad and J. Rowland. For the first bottle, I went to a remailer and asked what was the best way to ship liquor to someone. The guy said "you can't ship liquor, but if you bring in a package that is sealed up, I'll send it wherever you want". J-Ro actually posted a picture of himself with my bottle and two beautiful women, but I forgot to save a copy and it disappeared.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 04:20:39 pm
This would probably be fun, but I don't drink beer pretty much ever. I will have to think about if I want to be involved in a booze thing.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 04:39:49 pm
Ironically, I am now "Lyle".
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2007, 07:42:38 pm
This would probably be fun, but I don't drink beer pretty much ever. I will have to think about if I want to be involved in a booze thing.

Nabu doesn't drink beer? What's your poison?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 08:38:03 pm
Nabu doesn't drink beer? What's your poison?

Everything but beer and white wine (well, and liqueurs, but what psycho drinks them?)
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2007, 10:59:51 pm
Everything but beer and white wine (well, and liqueurs, but what psycho drinks them?)

Word. Red wine FTW!! My favorites right now are really dry reds like Chianti. I read that the dry/sweet index of wine varies highly by country...Germans rate wine as "very dry" that French people would rate as "sweet". When I started learning to appreciate wine I started with very sweet white wine, and now I hardly ever drink white wine.

Anyway, I like most beer, wine, and liquor...except for hefeweizens (there is this rotten banana/cat-piss ester in it that gags me every time), gin, schnapps, Goldschlager, and Jagermeister. I rather like liqueurs such as Bailey's. But novelty shots and shit with Red Bull can go fuck themselves, as far as I'm concerned!

(Kelli regularly informs me that I am insane for hatin' the banana/clove esters that are present in many Belgian beers, Hefeweizens, and gin.)
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 11:22:31 pm
I like gin.

Some people like to drop a shot of Bailey's in a Guinness. Shouldn't that be illegal?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 26, 2007, 05:11:39 am
yes, yes it should.

Also, gin and red bull (separately) are both great tools for getting drunk.  My favorite drink right now is definitely gin.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: smick on August 26, 2007, 05:13:37 am
I like gin.

Yessssss.

(As an aside, I once made a Guinness Shandy.  I was severely worried that I was about to waste perfectly good guinness, but it mixed with the lemonade quite well.    It's similar to a Black and Tan, except Lemonaide instead of Harp.   Most sites will tell you to mix them... so crass.   Pour the Guinness into the pint glass over the back end of a spoon.  It will float on the lemonaide, and oh so very slightly mix together.   I then learned that Guinness is filtered through Isinglass and never went back.)
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2007, 05:23:01 am
Yessssss.

(As an aside, I once made a Guinness Shandy.  I was severely worried that I was about to waste perfectly good guinness, but it mixed with the lemonade quite well.    It's similar to a Black and Tan, except Lemonaide instead of Harp.   Most sites will tell you to mix them... so crass.   Pour the Guinness into the pint glass over the back end of a spoon.  It will float on the lemonaide, and oh so very slightly mix together.   I then learned that Guinness is filtered through Isinglass and never went back.)

Smick, let's have a Shandy Maximum Cuddle. They are the BEST. I can only drink 1/3 a bottle of Guinness Stout, that shit is seriously like a loaf of bread in a bottle. The only way I can drink it is in a Shandy. I get angry when people hate on Shandies (Shandys?). They are delicious.

Also, a Snakebite is grelicious. Guinness and hard cider. Awesomeness.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: kellichou on August 26, 2007, 05:30:50 am
Yeah, I don't understand how mah twin hates the banana & clove esters produced by Hefeweizen & Belgian (& other) yeasts.  Delicious.

As a homebrewer, I mostly brew Belgian style beers, but I love nearly all beer.  Mmm.  Some commercial favorites, in no particular order:  New Belgium, esp. Bier de Mars & Abbey.  Murphy's Irish Stout.  Fort Collins Brewery's X Lager!  Stella (of course!).  Smithwick's.  Delirium Tremens (great Belgian beer!).  Probably the quintessential Kelli favorite?  Orval, brewed by Belgian monks! 

Also, other favorite booze:  Laphroaig; Jon, Mark, & Robbo's scotch whisky; many other tasty scotches, both blended & single malt.  A Rusty Nail (Drambuie & Scotch) is pretty much my fave mixed drink.  I like to make infused vodkas (currently I have lemon, blueberry, and chocolate in rotation now).  I gotta agree with Linnea that things like Jager are good, only NOT combined with the abomination known as Red Bull. 

Oh, and the other drink that I would practically kill for, besides homebrewed beer and a Rusty Nail?  Chartreuse on the rocks, esp. the green kind.  And getting the special aged stuff is over-the-top delicious.  It's made with hundreds of herbs by Carthusian monks in France.  What's not to love?  When I finished the first 3 chapters of my Master's Thesis, my awesome boyfriend made me a Chartreuse with dry ice drink!  It rocked.  Hrm.  Now that I've finished the damn thesis, maybe I oughta celebraaaate!
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 26, 2007, 05:57:26 am
I was in England the first time I witnessed the beer-and-lemonade phenomenon.

It distressed me then and now. It's perfectly good beer. Drink beer. It's perfectly good lemonade. Drink lemonade.

I have the same problem with menthol cigarettes. If I <WANT> a mint, I'm sure as shit not going to SMOKE it.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: jaydub on August 26, 2007, 10:46:18 pm
One of the perks I have from working at a biotech is access to all the autoclave capacity I could want.  As a homebrewer, this is a very good thing, although its been less necessary since I started kegging my batches a few years back.  I'll gladly ship a few bottles of my brew to all and sundry.

Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2007, 10:53:24 pm

Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?

I have always wondered this myself. The Technical Staff drinks stuff that, from the smell alone, my reaction is that millennia of evolution are screaming DON'T PUT THIS IN YOUR MOUTH.  But he tells me that's what Belgian beer is supposed to be like.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 01:20:06 am
Oh man, both beer and gin are lovely.  But I'm not participating as we don't have fixed rate shipping up here, and it's a rare situation where I order something from the US and it's not been opened by customs for inspection.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Doc on August 27, 2007, 03:27:37 am
I would be totally down for this, but even if I fronted the cash for shipping it'd probably get confiscated or some such.
One of us needs to travel the world, visiting each TOUAMBie and passing on the hooch from one to the next.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2007, 04:03:12 am
No shit. Word. Hey Mel, can I just come by your house and get everybody loaded?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 03:46:53 pm
No shit. Word. Hey Mel, can I just come by your house and get everybody loaded?

Yes.  But please remember cats shouldn't drink alcohol, no matter how they flirt with you.  My cats are total sluts like that.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2007, 04:02:18 pm
Yes.  But please remember cats shouldn't drink alcohol, no matter how they flirt with you.  My cats are total sluts like that.

My kitty will do everything she can to get at a G&T.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 28, 2007, 12:25:54 am
Your cats like to drink alcohol?? That's insane. I had no idea that any of them would do that. Crazy.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2007, 01:21:24 am
I don't think that's correct. Even slugs are attracted to beer and my coworker was just telling me today that he thought the best thing to put in a fruit fly trap was red wine.

Oh, and this (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_10_113/ai_n8640726) looks entertaining...

Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: jaydub on August 28, 2007, 01:38:13 am
I've heard stories of bears seeking out fermented berries, and elephants as well (dunno what ferments in their environment, but an elephant with an angry drunk going sounds like a bad time).

Update:  Drunken elephants are a myth (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/eled.html).

Bottom line: its hard to get enough booze into one in a short enough time.  Wouldn't happen in the wild.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 01:57:08 am
We had a small infestation of those little tiny bugs that fuck with your houseplants (I am told that it is when you have some mold from too much water) and we put a little saucer of red wine out with a fly strip above it and that thing was hella covered with those little bastids.

Also, for serious, we have to guard the gin because of little Pooey.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: kellichou on August 28, 2007, 02:11:06 am
Well, a lot of it depends on what you're aiming for, honestly.  :)

Although typically strong off-flavors will point to contamination:   buttered popcorn, vinegar, or anything that shouldn't be in the finished product can point to Bad Things in your beer.  As long as everything is kept reasonably aseptic from start to finish, you shouldn't have to worry.

Of course, certain yeast strains can add characteristics to the beer, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if that's the type of beer you set out to make.  Example:  many Belgian yeast strains will give those banana & clove esters, which are desirable in a Belgian beer (example:  a Wit or an Abbey/Dubbel).  And there's normal spice smells, such as those from bitter orange peel and coriander seeds. 

Also, some beers can get a "cidery" taste if you add waaay too much sugar in an attempt to spike up the alcohol %.  Typically when you follow the recipe, you'll be fine.

That's about all I know.  I know that last year, my SO and I had to get rid of a plastic primary fermenting bucket, because it was scratched, so we couldn't sanitize it properly, and so we were getting that weird "buttered popcorn" contaminant flavor in the beer. 

Kelli, I've never brewed a Belgian - how can you tell the difference between a good Belgian and a bad (contaminated) batch?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2007, 03:03:33 am
Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 03:08:35 am
Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?

No, kelli is a rodent nibbling a berry. Linnea is two bread-cats. They are like opposites.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 28, 2007, 03:14:11 am
Hold up, is kelli linnea's twin?

Dude, we have posted many photos of ourselves. Yes, we are identical twins. I'm Somebody nice. We were part of a longitudinal (14-year) twin study, and the researchers thought we were probably the "type III" twin. One egg splits and is then fertilized, so we share 75% of the same DNA. Normal siblings or fraternal twins share 50%, and identical twins share 100%.

We look really similar, but if you met us IRL you'd have no trouble telling us apart.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 03:31:13 am
Can you imagine? 199 posts off of 100,000. Jeez.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 28, 2007, 03:33:44 am
Can you imagine? 199 posts off of 100,000. Jeez.

Hahaha... tiny can for statistics/TOUAMB imagery. Nabu, I <3 you.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: side_show on August 28, 2007, 02:29:46 pm
Our cats will drink beer - I've always kept this from happening, but it is clear that they want it, as they try to taste it and will lick up spills.  But alcohol is poisonous to them, so I won't let them have it.

I had both a cat and dog growing up who loved beer.  My mom thought it was a hoot to get our cat mildly drunk.  I always thought this was questionable.

Also, our neighbour had an ornamental cherry tree and the robins would totally get drunk and rowdy off the fermented berries, stagger around our shared drive way, brawl and occasionally drunkenly fly into our window, or just pass out where ever.  It was a pretty common thing to find drunk, unconscious birds in our flower bed.  They never seems to take much interest in the berries until they fermented though.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: robot_god on August 28, 2007, 04:05:59 pm
It was a pretty common thing to find drunk, unconscious birds in our flower bed.  They never seems to take much interest in the berries until they fermented though.

Many animals can smell the ethanol content and interpret it as a sign of ripened fruit.  I read an article on this just yesterday, but now cannot find it.  A new theory is that the ability to smell ethanol and beat competetors to good fruit was an evolutionary step that has led to humankind's predisposition to alcoholism.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: jaydub on August 28, 2007, 04:23:07 pm
Many animals can smell the ethanol content and interpret it as a sign of ripened fruit.  I read an article on this just yesterday, but now cannot find it.  A new theory is that the ability to smell ethanol and beat competetors to good fruit was an evolutionary step that has led to humankind's predisposition to alcoholism.
I think I saw the same article.  Methanol, ethanol and isopropanol are three alcohols I have in my lab.  I can easily distinguish them by smell, and the ethanol definitely smells "sweet" to me.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2007, 04:25:52 pm
I think I saw the same article. 

The one linked to here, (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3897.msg100357.html#msg100357) maybe?

I know, drinking makes you forgetful.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2007, 04:31:22 pm
The one linked to here, (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3897.msg100357.html#msg100357) maybe?

I know, drinking makes you forgetful.

Who are you? Where are my pills? Get off my lawn!
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: robot_god on August 28, 2007, 04:38:34 pm
Oh damn, that is bad livin'.  I was real foggy last night.  I'da swore it was somewhere else.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: theinevitable on August 28, 2007, 04:57:12 pm
oh, shit, I love longitudinal twin studies!


my ex's cat had some Problems due to drinking alcohol early in life.
Either that or he was just a dumb cat with no night-vision for some other reason?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 05:10:44 pm
oh, shit, I love longitudinal twin studies!

You know, I'm glad that you and I are imaginary internet friends, because if you love this sort of thing when you are your age, byt the time you are my age you are basically going to be in control of the planet.

When I was your age I basically loved bong hits, football, and Thin Lizzy. It is just now occuring to me that substituting alcohol for bong hits in that life plan may not be enough to be considered obtaining maturity.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2007, 05:43:06 pm
because if you love this sort of thing when you are your age, byt the time you are my age you are basically going to be in control of the planet.


I dunno, it didn't exactly work out that way for me... nerdy interests instead of bong hits are not quite enough to lead to world dominance by themselves.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 06:02:33 pm
I dunno, it didn't exactly work out that way for me... nerdy interests instead of bong hits are not quite enough to lead to world dominance by themselves.

I want to break this to you as gently as I possibly can, because I love you so much . . . it may have been the rodents that held you back.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 28, 2007, 06:53:36 pm
The penis man has always been keeping the brotherman down.

Kill penisy!
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2007, 06:55:26 pm
Simple question about a fun beer game, next thing you know were talking about longitudinal twins (kelli is dating some dork, btw), and birds with hangovers. This thread is an example about why I love all of you.

Also, Im trying to switch from A-B to Boston Beer  Company (Sam Adams).
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2007, 06:57:00 pm
I dunno, it didn't exactly work out that way for me... nerdy interests instead of bong hits are not quite enough to lead to world dominance by themselves.

I can confirm that the combination of nerdy interests plus bong hits hasn't worked either.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2007, 07:06:48 pm
I want to break this to you as gently as I possibly can, because I love you so much . . . it may have been the rodents that held you back.

Dang. I should have known.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 28, 2007, 07:18:06 pm
Hitting nerds with interesting bongs is a little more rewarding but you get really sad when you break a particularly interesting smoking device.

"Ah, man... I mean, yes, he's unconscious, but it looked like an elephant! You took hits off the trunk!"
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 28, 2007, 07:44:06 pm
Ah, true.

But there's no art in hitting nerds with efficient bongs.

No style, no panache, none of what the French would call a certain... I don't know what.

Perhaps that is a telling difference between an arachno-capitalist and a Bokononist... an arachno-capitalist is perfectly fine with pelting nerds with beer bongs as it is functional, efficient and easily repeatable if necessary.

It is a completely logical and competent way of assaulting nerds with drug paraphenalia and there is nothing wrong with that, I suppose.

But what's the point of even having a bong, to a Bokononist, if it doesn't glow in a funky manner under a black light or... in the very least... resemble a Star Wars character?

We only live once and only a short once at that.

The least we can do is smoke our drugs out of Boba Fett's head.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Ben-San on August 28, 2007, 08:22:33 pm
We only live once and only a short once at that.

This is a matter of (a) virtue and (b) finding the invisible block with a green mushroom inside.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 08:25:57 pm
What about beer bongs? Theyre cheap, indestructible, and effective.

For hitting nerds? You could lash them with a beer bong, I guess.

Or garotte them.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 28, 2007, 11:02:52 pm
I can confirm that the combination of nerdy interests plus bong hits hasn't worked either.

I am trying this plus Thin Lizzy.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: linnea on August 29, 2007, 12:23:15 am
You know, I'm glad that you and I are imaginary internet friends, because if you love this sort of thing when you are your age, byt the time you are my age you are basically going to be in control of the planet.

When I was your age I basically loved bong hits, football, and Thin Lizzy. It is just now occuring to me that substituting alcohol for bong hits in that life plan may not be enough to be considered obtaining maturity.

Heh! Now I totally want to see a picture of an angry, 19-year-old Nabu, and the rest of the board too! Y'know what would be an even better thread than the member photos thread...photos of us during adolescence.

I have to dig out the photos of me as a scrawny, angry 15-year-old. Awesome.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: robot_god on August 29, 2007, 12:52:56 am
I have to dig out the photos of me as a scrawny, angry 15-year-old. Awesome.

Fifteen years old?  I can hit that nail right on the head.

This was for the band.  I'm wearing the cap. (http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3879/friedfriedxn8.jpg)

Seems like forever, but it really wasn't that long ago.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 01:44:43 am
Heh! Now I totally want to see a picture of an angry, 19-year-old Nabu, and the rest of the board too! Y'know what would be an even better thread than the member photos thread...photos of us during adolescence.

I have to dig out the photos of me as a scrawny, angry 15-year-old. Awesome.

I could do this, but I don't think I'd ever be able to come back. It's . . . pretty bad. It took me quite a while to grow into my features, shall we say.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 02:29:57 am
um, you have already seen 19-year-old me. Angry... well, once I start my band, maybe we can find a suitably angsty picture.
Or, you know, a suitably jangly-indie-pop picture?
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 02:58:13 am
um, you have already seen 19-year-old me. Angry... well, once I start my band, maybe we can find a suitably angsty picture.
Or, you know, a suitably jangly-indie-pop picture?

Yeah, but you're adorable. For those of us who were 19 in the 80s . . . welllll . . .
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 29, 2007, 02:00:58 pm
This was for the band.  I'm wearing the cap. (http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3879/friedfriedxn8.jpg)

YES it's a motherfuckin brick wall band photo.  WHOOOOO!
(more here (http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php))
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 29, 2007, 02:03:53 pm
And equal time, so I don't come off as being a dick to *****_god... here's my band photo, I'm in the plaid shirt.  I was 22, not 15.
http://www.bigfool.com/pictures/incos_large.jpg

Note how ironic and edgy we are, all smoking in front of the "NO SMOKING" sign.
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 02:11:25 am
I had mall bangs. 

Need I say more? 
Title: Re: Beer and Community, Together.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2007, 02:46:52 am
I had mall bangs. 

Need I say more? 

Well, no. That's the thing. Less saying, more posting of photos.