Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Poll

Secret Beer Fairy?

Yes
- 8 (50%)
No
- 5 (31.3%)
I hate A-CAP for even suggesting this.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer and Community, Together.  (Read 9473 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Beer and Community, Together.
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:53:12 am »

I know there are some of us here who enjoy a good brew and there even more of us who enjoy a good touamb community event.
This will either work or it will not. I am just throwing this out there for consideration:
I am willing to organize a sort of secret santa beer touamb event. All those interested would let me know via PM/AIM/Email and I would have a non-involved party match us up randomly. Such that each person would send the other a beer or liquor in the value of $15-40. I think it would be fun, but what the hell do I know. If there are enough interested parties, I will start taking emails of names and addresses so that this can be done before Halloween.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:32:52 am »

Shit yes, holmes.

I AM IN.

Mailing hooch is against the US Code, yes? Oh well, this is a gift system, not like we're selling it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:30:45 am »

The mailing of alcoholic beverages is a state-by-state issue. It's not a Federal issue. It's more of a state's ability to tax the adult beverage issue, although they try to argue that it's to promote local and regional choices in wine and beer. My wife used to work for a major winery and dealt with this issue with relative frequency.

As a postal employee, I can tell you that when you ship a shoe-box shaped flat rate box (which, coincidentally, would probably hold a six pack very nicely) for $8.90 (up to 70#) the clerk will ask you if it contains anything liquid, perishable, flammable or hazardous. They will not check to verify nor will they hook you up to a polygraph. Just sayin' is all.

I have seen how these get treated, so pack and pad them VERY VERY well.

J



Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:10:01 pm »

Yup, it's illegal to mail beer to me in Maryland. Now on the other hand if anyone wants to mail me chocolate...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »

I shipped liquor to both Onstad and J. Rowland. For the first bottle, I went to a remailer and asked what was the best way to ship liquor to someone. The guy said "you can't ship liquor, but if you bring in a package that is sealed up, I'll send it wherever you want". J-Ro actually posted a picture of himself with my bottle and two beautiful women, but I forgot to save a copy and it disappeared.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:20:39 pm »

This would probably be fun, but I don't drink beer pretty much ever. I will have to think about if I want to be involved in a booze thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:39:49 pm »

Ironically, I am now "Lyle".
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 07:42:38 pm »

This would probably be fun, but I don't drink beer pretty much ever. I will have to think about if I want to be involved in a booze thing.

Nabu doesn't drink beer? What's your poison?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:38:03 pm »

Nabu doesn't drink beer? What's your poison?

Everything but beer and white wine (well, and liqueurs, but what psycho drinks them?)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »

Everything but beer and white wine (well, and liqueurs, but what psycho drinks them?)

Word. Red wine FTW!! My favorites right now are really dry reds like Chianti. I read that the dry/sweet index of wine varies highly by country...Germans rate wine as "very dry" that French people would rate as "sweet". When I started learning to appreciate wine I started with very sweet white wine, and now I hardly ever drink white wine.

Anyway, I like most beer, wine, and liquor...except for hefeweizens (there is this rotten banana/cat-piss ester in it that gags me every time), gin, schnapps, Goldschlager, and Jagermeister. I rather like liqueurs such as Bailey's. But novelty shots and shit with Red Bull can go fuck themselves, as far as I'm concerned!

(Kelli regularly informs me that I am insane for hatin' the banana/clove esters that are present in many Belgian beers, Hefeweizens, and gin.)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:22:31 pm »

I like gin.

Some people like to drop a shot of Bailey's in a Guinness. Shouldn't that be illegal?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 05:11:39 am »

yes, yes it should.

Also, gin and red bull (separately) are both great tools for getting drunk.  My favorite drink right now is definitely gin.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 05:13:37 am »

I like gin.

Yessssss.

(As an aside, I once made a Guinness Shandy.  I was severely worried that I was about to waste perfectly good guinness, but it mixed with the lemonade quite well.    It's similar to a Black and Tan, except Lemonaide instead of Harp.   Most sites will tell you to mix them... so crass.   Pour the Guinness into the pint glass over the back end of a spoon.  It will float on the lemonaide, and oh so very slightly mix together.   I then learned that Guinness is filtered through Isinglass and never went back.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 05:23:01 am »

Yessssss.

(As an aside, I once made a Guinness Shandy.  I was severely worried that I was about to waste perfectly good guinness, but it mixed with the lemonade quite well.    It's similar to a Black and Tan, except Lemonaide instead of Harp.   Most sites will tell you to mix them... so crass.   Pour the Guinness into the pint glass over the back end of a spoon.  It will float on the lemonaide, and oh so very slightly mix together.   I then learned that Guinness is filtered through Isinglass and never went back.)

Smick, let's have a Shandy Maximum Cuddle. They are the BEST. I can only drink 1/3 a bottle of Guinness Stout, that shit is seriously like a loaf of bread in a bottle. The only way I can drink it is in a Shandy. I get angry when people hate on Shandies (Shandys?). They are delicious.

Also, a Snakebite is grelicious. Guinness and hard cider. Awesomeness.
Logged

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Beer and Community, Together.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 05:30:50 am »

Yeah, I don't understand how mah twin hates the banana & clove esters produced by Hefeweizen & Belgian (& other) yeasts.  Delicious.

As a homebrewer, I mostly brew Belgian style beers, but I love nearly all beer.  Mmm.  Some commercial favorites, in no particular order:  New Belgium, esp. Bier de Mars & Abbey.  Murphy's Irish Stout.  Fort Collins Brewery's X Lager!  Stella (of course!).  Smithwick's.  Delirium Tremens (great Belgian beer!).  Probably the quintessential Kelli favorite?  Orval, brewed by Belgian monks! 

Also, other favorite booze:  Laphroaig; Jon, Mark, & Robbo's scotch whisky; many other tasty scotches, both blended & single malt.  A Rusty Nail (Drambuie & Scotch) is pretty much my fave mixed drink.  I like to make infused vodkas (currently I have lemon, blueberry, and chocolate in rotation now).  I gotta agree with Linnea that things like Jager are good, only NOT combined with the abomination known as Red Bull. 

Oh, and the other drink that I would practically kill for, besides homebrewed beer and a Rusty Nail?  Chartreuse on the rocks, esp. the green kind.  And getting the special aged stuff is over-the-top delicious.  It's made with hundreds of herbs by Carthusian monks in France.  What's not to love?  When I finished the first 3 chapters of my Master's Thesis, my awesome boyfriend made me a Chartreuse with dry ice drink!  It rocked.  Hrm.  Now that I've finished the damn thesis, maybe I oughta celebraaaate!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up