The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Beatrice on August 28, 2007, 04:18:54 am
-
i've been learning some fiddle off an awesome site. mandolin is next. there's lots of different instruments (harmonica, geetar, etc.) different skill levels and care is given to making sure genre-specific techniques are translated well. listen/watch the teachers play through a song, and then watch subsequent videos where sections are broken down slowly so you can pick them up. i'm aiming for a song a day, and the more people signing up, giving feedback, and spreading the word, the more songs i'm sure they'll post! hooray!
musicmoose.org. DANG TIGHT.
-
Awesome! I love bluegrass and alternative americana (Robert Earl Keen, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, etc). Thanks for the link. Also, is that you in your avatar?
-
Hello random girl. I know banjo, harmonica, guitar, and most classical instruments. I'm currently using the university resources to learn Clawhammer style banjo, which has never been played in decades.
The best way to learn an instrument, sadly, is the scales, and then the songs. Piano, in my opinion, is the hardest to learn this way. Because it involves every damn scale.
-
yes that is me. and disclaimer: these aren't very complicated things to be learned, but it is a nice resource. i'm only a violin player and have become mediocre over the past few years of slacking and playing in a louisville band that took up most of my time, but this will change! i will be less drunk and more practiced.
clawhammer banjo, huh? please, do tell!!!
-
also, are you as gawd derned adorable as this guy (http://youtube.com/user/briscott99)? now that i have internet in-house i've been watching all manner of videos to get new songs and such. so cool.
-
There was a regional jamband back East that was trying to fuse zydeko and klesmer.
They called it "jewgrass". I thought that was a pretty rad concept.
-
also, are you as gawd derned adorable as this guy (http://youtube.com/user/briscott99)? now that i have internet in-house i've been watching all manner of videos to get new songs and such. so cool.
While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board - I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.
Clawhammer appears to have disappeared from all forms of banjo, I'm trying to get any copies of actual players so that I figure out exactly what they all did and do digital masters of the style.
-
While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board - I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.
Clawhammer appears to have disappeared from all forms of banjo, I'm trying to get any copies of actual players so that I figure out exactly what they all did and do digital masters of the style.
Wait a minute! A-CAP, are you also a twin? For real? Are you guys identical or fraternal?
-
I hate bluegrass. Does that make me a bad person?
-
I hate bluegrass. Does that make me a bad person?
I'd say it makes you a normal person.
-
There was a regional jamband back East that was trying to fuse zydeko and klesmer.
They called it "jewgrass". I thought that was a pretty rad concept.
Oyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee!
-
I recently figured out that what Americans call alt-country/alternative americana all falls under what Canadains just call folk music. I have been listenen to folk music for ages, not realizing previous converstations were about the same stuff.
I am currently writing a play about the song Oh! Susanna, and highly recommend the Be Good Tanya's version of the tune to everyone.
-
Bluegrass is one of those things that... I like, but never listen to.
The Banjo is probably the coolest instrument ever.
-
While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board - I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.
Watch those quotation marks, my "friend". Anyway, I like to think of inev as the cutest (male) TOUAMBie.
I've never been the hunk of anywhere. Maybe my peer groups are just too large.
-
Wait a minute! A-CAP, are you also a twin? For real? Are you guys identical or fraternal?
For reasons Id rather not think about, my cousin looks exactly like me.
-
Also, fuck bluegrass. That is one crappy airport. If I want a dose of bye-gone americana sentiment I'll go visit relatives of mine with more digits than IQ points.
Hey now, you're cutting a little close to the bone there!
-
Anyway, I like to think of inev as the cutest (male) TOUAMBie.
awww, shucks.
also, my friend's dad plays clawhammer banjo I think. I will ask. I just know that she said that he plays banjo, but then tried to explain that he doesn't play it the normal way? The way she explained it sounds like the explanation of Clawhammer Banjo on wikipedia.