The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on August 28, 2007, 11:35:01 pm
-
You can learn a lot about a person by peering into the fridge, right? So tell us the top five items of pride and shame in your fridge - we all wanna know.
For me, in no particular order:
Pride:
Six pack of Crispy Stellas
Tupperware full of Grandma's peanut butter cookies
Green curry paste
Homemade Indonesian peanut sauce based on a recipe I got in Indonesia
A dozen eggs directly from a Hutterite colony
A beautiful steak I bought just for my man
Shame:
Heinz mustard
Way too many soy sauce packets
A huge jar of pickled ginger from a Christmas party
A dried up, separated, almost entirely used up and probably spoiled jar of tahini (but maybe I threw it out already... no I'm pretty sure it's still in there...)
A Tupperware full of BBQ'd salmon from 5 days ago (such a waste)
-
I moved into a place with no gas (650 overdue bill my new roommate didn't tell me about--may move out in a couple days) so no stove. Basically I only have shameful stuff:
1 Bud Dry bottle I actually brought from my old apartment (aug 3).
2 Packaged Potato Salad.
3 Bagged Salad.
(actually) Pride:
Half a handle of Bombay Sapphire.
-
um
the entire contents of my fridge:
-some cran/grape juice
-
Okay, keep in mind we just moved.
Pride:
- One half-full bottle of Toasted Sesame Oil
- Leftovers from tonight's dinner, All-Star Chicken (from My Girlfriend's Kitchen (http://www.mgfk.com))
- Two jars of Better Than Bullion paste -- one chicken, one beef
- "Natural" applesauce for my son (it's hard to find a kind without corn syrup, gross.)
- A nice bottle of champagne my father-in-law bought us when we bought our house; we planned to drink it last night to celebrate selling it but we forgot. (We'll probably save it for Pedro's birthday & his brother's engagement party next weekend.)
Shame:
- Two-week old leftovers in a tupperware container that is too expensive to throw out but to skeezy to clean -- we brought this with us from the old house.
- An updended, almost-empty bottle of Hershey's syrup
- A bottle of plum sauce that's never been opened and has no date, but is probably no good
- Store brand yellow mustard (that's Pedro's)
- A tube of ground beef that is intended for a skillet of hamburger helper (tomorrow's dinner)
-
When I have money, I'm rollin' in the delicious foodies. However, I've been working for the past 2 days in a town that's 35 miles away (yes, a 70-mile commute per day), and all my money has gone to petrol. I am feeling very sorry for myself presently.
Pride:
Organic eggs
Brown Cow yogurt
Cantaloupe
Daifuku mochi-anko cakes
sliced sharp cheddar for Marmite and toast sandwiches
Shame:
Half a decaying honeydew melon
No bread for the marmite sammiches
One sad Stella left No Stellas and no money to buy more
No tortillas, no beans, no rice, no meat.
-
I do not have a fridge that is mine. This will change by the spring. So for now I will illustrate my theoretical fridge:
Respect:
Block of fresh mozzarella
CUNT cream cheese
Atlantic Brewing Co. Blueberry Ale
Turkey pepperoni
Tub of fresh mozzarella pieces in water
Sorrow:
Forty cans of Coke Zero
Eggroll over 8 days old
A white wine (for the ladies)
Several Nutrament shakes
Whip cream can with all the NO sucked out
-
40-50 Hardcore Ciders
1 bottle mayo
2 gallons of Arizona RX Stress tea
1 package turkey breasts
1 can haggis
-
1 Bud Dry bottle I actually brought from my old apartment (aug 3).
They still make Bud Dry? I had no idea.
-
They still make Bud Dry? I had no idea.
Word. Bud dry has a zero dollar ad budget. I dont know why we still brew the shit.
-
1 jar coconut jam.
Pride? Shame? You make the call.
I don't know what else is in there, since I'm at work. I know there is a spray bottle of "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter", because there always is. I'm vaguely shameful about it. However, I fix that by having a running joke with my wife about taking that statement to absurd heights:
"This, This Ain't Butter."
"Don't You Tell Me That This is fuck*ng Butter."
"I'll fuck*ng Cut You."
We also do this when we see people eating the Cheezits with the "Get Your Own Box" written on it. "If you even look at these, I'll skullfuck you."
-
Your lady sounds almost as awesome as mine.
Remember, I might be biased.
-
To my credit: I live in a 3.2% alcohol state, which means if you don't make it to the liquor store by 9 pm or want to drink on Sunday (alcohol is really hard to get from Sat to Sun.) you have to buy a 3.2% alcohol content domestic. They all taste equally shitty, but the Bud Dry is equal in price to High Life cans ($.40 cents cheaper than High Life bottles!) I don't know, I like it better than Bud original and especially Bud Light (on par with the Keystones of the world, in taste if not price). I am a Miller man when it comes to shit gas station beer, but give me a bud dry any day (well, sundays and any day I don't have liqour or good beer past 9 pm).
-
To my credit: I live in a 3.2% alcohol state, which means if you don't make it to the liquor store by 9 pm or want to drink on Sunday (alcohol is really hard to get from Sat to Sun.) you have to buy a 3.2% alcohol content domestic. They all taste equally shitty, but the Bud Dry is equal in price to High Life cans ($.40 cents cheaper than High Life bottles!) I don't know, I like it better than Bud original and especially Bud Light (on par with the Keystones of the world, in taste if not price). I am a Miller man when it comes to shit gas station beer, but give me a bud dry any day (well, sundays and any day I don't have liqour or good beer past 9 pm).
I feel as thought it is said we don't live closer to each other, in which case I could give you free beer. Good beer. I weep for you.
-
I'll go you one better and show you what is in my fridge:
(http://lh6.google.com/gloomba/RtVvQV8b2CI/AAAAAAAAAE0/A66V-x0rw7I/s288/fridge.jpg]) (http://picasaweb.google.com/gloomba/RandomCrap/photo#5104108079253542946)
Top shelf (some items may be obscured):
Two things of French onion spreadable cheese wedges
Pack of 4 sticks of butter
Tube of double-concentrated tomato paste
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
"Fifty50" low glycemic peanut butter
"Fifty50" low glycemic CUNT spread
Stack of American cheese slices
Thing of rice left over from the last time we had Indian food
Philadelphia cream cheese
Brita water filter pitcher with water in
Bottle of generic diet cola
Middle shelf:
Two 12-packs of Barq's root beer
Some "glucose control" nutritional drink things
Bottom shelf:
Jones green apple soda
12-pack of Vanilla Coke
(normally there would be a thing of regular Coke but we're out at the moment)
Along the door:
Three things of Lush "The Strokes" hair moisturizer
One small thing of Lush "Mask of Magnaminty" (not sure what that actually is)
Jar of "Well Pac Sushi Ginger"
Jar of mayonnaise
"Annie's Naturals" caesar dressing
Jar of Mt. Olive hamburger dill chips
Please note: Apart from the (non-diet) sodas and thing of rice, none of that stuff is actually mine (though I do partake of the water at times).
-
I live in a dorm, so my fridge is tiny. Currently, I think there's wasabi, mayo (I am a BIG fan of mayonnaise. I rejected it when I was little and so I only discovered how tasty it is like a year ago), Guinness, and two minibottles of cheap champagne.
What's more interesting is what's written on my fridge: "Studying is for Fags" and "Fuck Refrigeration". My friend gets drunk and wants to write on things, and I'm usually the only one in our house who will let her do so. There used to be a picture of Obama on it, because I have been in love with him since 2004. I got on that bandwagon hella early.
-
The cheapest, cheesiest frige thermometer ever.
I hereby dub this Chester the thermometer. It isn't easy, bein' cheesy.
-
What's wrong with Gulden's mustard?!
-
To my credit: I live in a 3.2% alcohol state, which means (various things).
I'm going to prefer to think that it means the State expects you to walk around with 3.2% blood alcohol content, and no petty, niggling facts you folks might bring up will convince me differently.
-
Hmm, if its .032%, then a 160lb male would need to maintain an average intake of 3 dry martinis per 4.5 hours to remain legal. That would indeed be a pleasant state.
-
Hmm, if its .032%, then a 160lb male would need to maintain an average intake of 3 dry martinis per 4.5 hours to remain legal. That would indeed be a pleasant state.
Nice work, pedant. I said 3.2%, and that's what I'm sticking with.
-
Man, I don't even have a fridge.
-
Damn, gloomba, you got a defective pancreas or what?
Nabu, all my friends from other states just get all incredulous when I try to explain 3.2% beer. Stupid ass blue laws. Their eyes get all big and their lower lip gets all wobbly as they try to wrap their minds around the concept: "Y'mean...they FORCE retailers to sell watered-down beer??"
"Yes, Virginia, and 3.2 is the only kind you can buy at a grocery store or gas station. If you want liquor you have to go to a separate liquor store."
-
Damn, gloomba, you got a defective pancreas or what?
Nabu, all my friends from other states just get all incredulous when I try to explain 3.2% beer. Stupid ass blue laws. Their eyes get all big and their lower lip gets all wobbly as they try to wrap their minds around the concept: "Y'mean...they FORCE retailers to sell watered-down beer??"
"Yes, Virginia, and 3.2 is the only kind you can buy at a grocery store or gas station. If you want liquor you have to go to a separate liquor store."
This is fucked. Its time for the revolution.
-
I too have experienced the effects of legislated morality in the form of watered-down beer. When I was stationed in Oklahoma for a short time, it was all that was available to drink. Along with the horrible strip clubs that were the height of entertainment in Lawton, OK left a bad taste in my mouth.
"If we can't stop them from drinking, then by God we'll make them drink more, so we can tax it." - Imaginary Oklahomean(?) legislator. (has a large mustache)
-
On the flip side of this, though, were those lovely nights at college when we got our hands on Molson XXX.
Oh, Canada, if only we were as drunk as you we'd be all mellow and get everyone free health care and then... like... when we were pissed off and hung over the next day, we'd just beat each other with sticks while skating!
If we broke some legs? Who cares?
Free health care.
-
Man, I don't even have a fridge.
What the hell do you keep your food in??
This is fucked. Its time for the revolution.
Yes. YES!!!
I too have experienced the effects of legislated morality in the form of watered-down beer. When I was stationed in Oklahoma for a short time, it was all that was available to drink. Along with the horrible strip clubs that were the height of entertainment in Lawton, OK left a bad taste in my mouth.
"If we can't stop them from drinking, then by God we'll make them drink more, so we can tax it." - Imaginary Oklahomean(?) legislator. (has a large mustache)
Hehehehe... the imaginary mustache. Tiny can. Legislated morality is teh suck. Legislator, tell you whut: Folks still get drunk on 3.2 beer, they just drink more of it.
On the flip side of this, though, were those lovely nights at college when we got our hands on Molson XXX.
Oh, Canada, if only we were as drunk as you we'd be all mellow and get everyone free health care and then... like... when we were pissed off and hung over the next day, we'd just beat each other with sticks while skating!
If we broke some legs? Who cares?
Free health care.
Hee... O Canada, Our Home And Native Laaaand...
-
Good things:
1. Half a bottle of diet peach soda that I bought for someone, once
2. The raw materials for just about any tasty mexican food type
3. Milton's whole grain bread
4. Better than Bullion (chicken - the beef has not been opened yet)
5. Dale's Seasoning
Shameful things:
1. Pre-minced garlic in a jar (I am lazy)
2. Store-brand no-cholesterol eggs
3. Stew meat (frozen) that I bought in April
4. Edamame (frozen) that I never wanted but bought anyway
5. Tyson buffalo-style chicken tenders
-
I love me some frozen edamame. I used to get fresh but it comes in like 3 lb containers and I could never stir fry it all before it went bad.
-
What the hell do you keep your food in??
Well, I don't own a fridge, but there's a communal fridge in the basement. I'm at college, by the way.
-
I love me some frozen edamame. I used to get fresh but it comes in like 3 lb containers and I could never stir fry it all before it went bad.
Stirfry it? Is that the only way you eat it?
-
I love me some frozen edamame. I used to get fresh but it comes in like 3 lb containers and I could never stir fry it all before it went bad.
I'm with Dawg, here. You can pretty much do anything with it, and it's damn near the seminal* foodstuff.
*Man, could this go places.
-
Stirfry it? Is that the only way you eat it?
Stir fry is basically my default thing to cook and I always put edamame in it. I'm not crazy about eating them straight as just a snack.
-
Oh man, before I realized I couldn't eat soy I used to make a great edamame salad. It was so good. The recipe was right on the Safeway bag. I'll find it for you if you want it.
-
Stir fry is basically my default thing to cook and I always put edamame in it. I'm not crazy about eating them straight as just a snack.
Jesus, Mel! You're allergic to SOY?
Edamame is pretty much my favorite snickety-snack ever. I haven't had any in a long while due to Circumstances (bein' poor and having to sell off my entire couture perfume collection means that I don't get to buy stuff, including food, very often. The upside to this is that I've stuck to the Hacker's Diet very well, and I wore a pair of size-smaller jeans today and felt hella foxy). As soon as I get my paycheck next week from this contract work I did for an engineer...daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I'm getting some hell of tasty edamame and maybe even some miso soup.
-
I like to get frozen edamame in the pods. Usually I default to boiling the crap out of them and sprinkling on some salt before eating. For some reason I haven't really considered using it as an ingredient. For a dish.
-
I like a big bowl of edamame with a bit of the fake spray butter on it.
-
I don't know that I've ever eaten these things.
Why is this?
-
I don't know that I've ever eaten these things.
Why is this?
They are grelicious and are often served as an appetizer at Japanese restaurants. They are best (imho) when served chilled and sprinkled with sea salt. However, some restaurants serve them piping hot. They're just this little bowl of green beans, and you pop the bean out of the pod, and into your mouth. they're awesome. Highly recommended. Don't eat the shell.
-
The local Hawaiian way is to boil them for two minutes (in the pod), turn down the heat and simmer 7-8 minutes, drain 'em, turn em' out into bowl, put butter, garlic, and sea salt in the pan, soften up the garlic (so it sweetens too) but don't brown it (and don't burn the butter), return the pods, toss it all together, heat through, return to the bowl and eat 'em up.