The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on November 01, 2007, 11:32:13 am

Title: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: oball on November 01, 2007, 11:32:13 am
Oh man. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11012007)

So many potential thread titles in this one.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: linnea on November 01, 2007, 12:13:58 pm
Wow, Little Onstad got three of those in her Halloween loot bag? Sounds like Mr. Onstad made three very angry calls from the privacy of Daddy's Office so the little shaver couldn't hear.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Doc on November 01, 2007, 12:24:46 pm
On the one hand I really like Phillipe's ridiculous expressions in this one but maybe they're too much? Not sure.
I am frightened that people do this though, is nothing sacred?
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2007, 01:43:55 pm
Wow, Little Onstad got three of those in her Halloween loot bag?

On the one hand, obnoxious business cards.
On the other hand, three full-size candy bars.
That's a mixed blessing, there.

My kids got plenty o' candy last night.  We could have easily gotten more, but we kept it on our block.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Popegeorgeringo on November 01, 2007, 02:25:38 pm
My favorite part of halloween is after the neighborhood kids have worked the block; car loads of immigrant families show up to work the street.  These kids are the most excited about the holiday.  I am happy to double the per kid haul for the little Mexican princesses and vampires. 
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 01, 2007, 02:27:53 pm
Quote from: Doc
On the one hand I really like Phillipe's ridiculous expressions in this one but maybe they're too much? Not sure.

Nope. Phillipe making the lemon face and the weird little fist is pretty much perfect.

A+++, would read again!
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: CortJstr on November 01, 2007, 02:30:18 pm
People actually do this? That's horrifying. I guess you could use their card to fill out one of those "win a boat" scam contest cards that they have in places like Subway.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2007, 05:52:14 pm
People actually do that?  Thank you T for your righteous indignation.

In my neighborhood they ain't no white kids on the street, only the little immigrants.  The white kids are all down at the fall festival or whatever.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2007, 05:56:05 pm
I'm just going to believe that Onstad made this up. It's too horrible otherwise.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: V-Adore on November 01, 2007, 06:32:15 pm
I used to make expressions like Philippe's when my father would start screaming in traffic, so the expressions work for me. I also like the implication that even when T requests to speak to "THE PIECE OF SHIT THAT IS DANGLING FROM THE WORLD'S ASSHOLE," the receptionist apparently forwards his calls on. Maybe Tomino gets a lot of calls like that.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 01, 2007, 08:32:44 pm
To be fair, though, anyone so ridiculously fuck*ng desperate/soulless/greedy as to pull that sort of stunt with holiday candy is probably running a one-man show. Probably either doesn't have a receptionist or answers his phone in a falsetto so as to create the illusion of one.

Y'know, maybe he's in a place of Glengarry Glenross desperation?

Maybe he's so greedy that he won't pay for one?

Maybe he wants to sound down to Earth and "edgy" by answering his own line?

Some goddamn douchebag reason like that.

I mean, if he's doing that with candy, man, it's only logical.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: oball on November 01, 2007, 09:00:44 pm
Y'know, maybe he's in a place of Glengarry Glenross desperation?

Put that Halloween candy down!  Halloween candy is for closers!
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 01, 2007, 09:29:00 pm
SNICKERS ARE FOR CLOSERS!
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 01, 2007, 09:36:45 pm
God bless the entrepreneurial spirit and all, but I think the people pulling this stunt are wasting their time. For one, most kids are just gonna toss it with the wrapper, two parents who do see it are unlikely to be in the immediate need of the service and unwilling to file it away somewhere, and three he risks alienating neighbors as potential customers. Nice try, but not well thought through.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: smick on November 02, 2007, 12:49:37 am
I'm not buying a home with the help of anyone who ain't got enough juice to go have custom wrappers made.

As an aside, Real Estate is a weird world.   In the adult Web2.0 website world, where everyone hides their employer and all of their personal details, Real Estate agents are the ones that are up front. "We are looking for couples to have sex with, we would also like to show you some nice properties that just came on the market.  We are pleased to be your naked, sweaty, Century21 agents.  The gold blazer is largely ceremonial, but we'll wear it if that's your thing."
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2007, 12:50:17 am
wait, what?

real estate agents have sex with people?
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 02, 2007, 12:55:48 am
Usually with other real estate agents.  At least, that's what happened in American Beauty.

The two questions I've always wanted to ask are:  Why are real estate agents so enamored of putting their own faces on everything--ads, business cards, trucks, etc.?  And why do they insist on calling them "homes" when they're the only ones who do so?  The rest of us say "I just bought a house."
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: smick on November 02, 2007, 12:57:30 am
It's simple.  They sell love.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 02, 2007, 01:26:05 am
Actually, they sell like.

Like but not well-like.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Toaster on November 02, 2007, 01:38:34 am
I have a crush on a local real-estate agent. I'm sure she is a nice lady who would never do what John Tomino did.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 02, 2007, 04:48:24 am
I have a crush on a local real-estate agent. I'm sure she is a nice lady who would never do what John Tomino did.

"Don't do what John Tomino does" is a basic tenet all should follow.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: melack on November 02, 2007, 05:45:54 am
I really don't see how this is any different than Willy Wonka, whom everyone loves and adores. Realtor tapes his business card to a chocolate bar as an advertisement. Crazy man in purple hat stuffs a gold ticket in his chocolate bar wrapping as a marketing ploy. Same deal.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2007, 06:09:23 am
um, Willy Wonka makes the chocolate bars though.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Bimmicus on November 02, 2007, 06:17:19 am
Why does every strip read like a guest strip lately? I'm not feein' the love.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: melack on November 02, 2007, 06:41:47 am
um, Willy Wonka makes the chocolate bars though.

Does he, though? Does he really?
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 02, 2007, 07:03:55 am
Also, Willy Wonka is offering a giant prize with those golden tickets.

If one of those candy bars actually, like, won a house?

I would be 67% less offended.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: melack on November 02, 2007, 04:16:31 pm
Obviously I am being facetious about the Willy Wonka thing, but the point remains: we are always, always the victims of some type of marketing.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: nDed on November 02, 2007, 06:29:59 pm
I had just finished listening to 222 when I read this strip, so I ended up imagining Téodor delivering the verbal beatdown in Patton Oswalt's voice.

Obviously I am being facetious about the Willy Wonka thing, but the point remains: we are always, always the victims of some type of marketing.

Well yeah, but I don't see any way of avoiding that sort of thing in a world where goods and services are offered. I don't know about you, but I sure do love me some goods and services.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: elfbabe on November 02, 2007, 09:55:12 pm
Our landlord has been attempting to sell the house we live in for five and a half months now. As far as I'm concerned, all real estate agents can boil in a bucket of gypsy shit.
Title: Re: 1 Nov 2007 - I HOPE YOU BOIL IN A BUCKET OF GYPSY SHIT
Post by: Lister on November 03, 2007, 02:28:30 am
I sign the helpful realtors in my mailbox up for the 'make money in real estate' seminars that are also in my mailbox.  I figure I'm connecting two markets and helping society grow.