The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Asherdan on December 01, 2007, 12:25:30 am

Title: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Asherdan on December 01, 2007, 12:25:30 am
...in Daredevil Valhalla!

(http://web.archive.org/web/19970716162623/http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~nkpatel/mr.t/img/ba01.jpg)
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: melack on December 01, 2007, 12:33:23 am
Rest in peace, Evel. I hear Valhalla's a nice place. May you feast on the meat of Saehrimnir every night.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: linnea on December 01, 2007, 12:44:38 am
Fuck! At first I refused to believe it was true until I checked the news. Sad day, man.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Doc on December 01, 2007, 01:04:19 am
I'm not a fan or anything but that's a hell of a thing. A quote from his friend summed it up pretty well 'Superman just doesn't die, right?'
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2007, 01:57:50 am
His last legacy was settling a law suit with kanye west.
(http://ap.google.com/media/ALeqM5jMtOEBYuk3rxTE9LntgIPKao6eNw?size=m)
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: V-Adore on December 01, 2007, 03:18:50 am
That dude is going to rock Ragnarok. He's gonna straight-up jump over ten school buses and then Fenrir, and the Jotun will have no idea what the shit happened.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2007, 04:17:39 am
Fuckin' Snake River Canyon, man!
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2007, 04:55:44 am
Evel, there will never be another like you.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2007, 04:58:24 am
Truly, Evel Knievel was like a Bowling Alley.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: melack on December 01, 2007, 05:48:36 am
That dude is going to rock Ragnarok. He's gonna straight-up jump over ten school buses and then Fenrir, and the Jotun will have no idea what the shit happened.

No man. He's gonna fuck*ng do a barrell roll over Naglfar, just hell of flipping them off and shouting "Fuck you giants! Fuck yooooou and your  ship made of nails!" Then when he reaches the apex of his jump, he'll bite the pin from a grenade and toss it into the boat. They all explode or drown. And right after landing, he'll give a thumbs up to the Æsir and say "You're welcome, but I got shit to jump." Then he'll do a wicked burnout and ride off into the sunset.

This is when Odin starts crying. Someone asks him, "What's wrong Odin?" And he responds "I only wish I had two eyes to see that."
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: linnea on December 01, 2007, 11:14:47 am
His last legacy was settling a law suit with kanye west.

Wow, they finally settled that? Word.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2007, 05:16:14 pm
His last legacy was settling a law suit with kanye west.

Wow, they finally settled that? Word.

OK, I'll bite. Settled what?
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 01, 2007, 05:51:02 pm
As far as I know, in the haze of my terrible unending whiteness...

A rapper did, like, a video or an album or something where he so closely parodied Evel's stuff that it fell over the edge from parody into copyright infringement. Lawsuits ensues. Case was settled days before Evel's death.

It was the last thing he was in the news about before he died.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: melack on December 01, 2007, 05:55:06 pm
No man. He's gonna fuck*ng do a barrell roll over Naglfar, just hell of flipping them off and shouting "Fuck you giants! Fuck yooooou and your  ship made of nails!" Then when he reaches the apex of his jump, he'll bite the pin from a grenade and toss it into the boat. They all explode or drown. And right after landing, he'll give a thumbs up to the Æsir and say "You're welcome, but I got shit to jump." Then he'll do a wicked burnout and ride off into the sunset.

This is when Odin starts crying. Someone asks him, "What's wrong Odin?" And he responds "I only wish I had two eyes to see that."

Example 1 in why I shouldn't write about Norse mythology while drunk.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: linnea on December 01, 2007, 09:55:33 pm
Wow, they finally settled that? Word.


OK, I'll bite. Settled what?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-11-27-kanye-knievel_N.htm
Quote from: The AP
Evel Knievel, Kanye West settle lawsuit


TAMPA (AP) — Evel Knievel and Kanye West have worked it out. The 69-year-old iconic motorcycle daredevil said he and West met at his Clearwater condo recently. They settled a federal lawsuit over the use of Knievel's trademarked image in a popular West music video.

Knievel sued West and his record company last year. He took issue with a 2006 music video for the song Touch the Sky, in which the rapper takes on the persona of "Evel Kanyevel" and tries to jump a rocket-powered motorcycle over a canyon.

Knievel failed in his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon in Idaho in 1974.

West's attorneys argued the video amounted to satire, covered under the First Amendment.

"We settled the lawsuit amicably," Knievel said Tuesday. "I was very satisfied and so was he."

They agreed not to publicly discuss the terms of the settlement, he said. The two had agreed to mediation in July.

Gabriel Tesoriero, a spokesman for West, confirmed the settlement of the lawsuit, in an e-mail Tuesday.

In the lawsuit, Knievel claimed the "vulgar and offensive" images depicted in the video damaged his reputation. And he accused the 29-year-old rapper of using the Knievel image to "promote his filth to the world."

Meeting West changed his mind, Knievel said.

"I thought he was a wonderful guy and quite a gentleman," he said.

Knievel also expressed concern for West, who is grieving the sudden death of his mother earlier this month.

"I know he's had some tough times the past few weeks, and I hope things work out," Knievel said.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 01, 2007, 10:13:55 pm
God damn, Kanye's got a touch of death going on.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Doc on December 02, 2007, 12:08:37 am
Example 1 in why I shouldn't write about Norse mythology while drunk.

No man, I liked it.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: V-Adore on December 02, 2007, 12:32:02 am
Example 1 in why I shouldn't write about Norse mythology while drunk.

I would argue that this is in fact Example 1 of why you should write about Norse mythology while drunk all the time. Quite possibly at the professional level.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Golfhaus on December 02, 2007, 02:09:27 am
Evel would've jumped this thread.

In a perfect world, that Chuck Norris meme would've been an Evel Knievel meme instead.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2007, 02:30:56 am
In a perfect world, that Chuck Norris meme would've been an Evel Knievel meme instead.

Nah, you don't need to make shit up about Evel.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2007, 03:06:22 am
I am pretty into the idea that... I am going to make a new thing where instead of talking about some fake-ass guy like Chuck Norris, I am going to talk constantly about Fred Rogers, and how he genuinely was that nice. He genuinely loved his fellow man, and believed that God loves everyone "just the way they are."

I strive to be like him. Every day. In every way.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Doc on December 02, 2007, 04:11:58 am
Inev is getting hell of sweaters for christmas.

Also Ultimate Showdown (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/285267).
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: AugustWest on December 02, 2007, 04:32:36 am
I am pretty into the idea that... I am going to make a new thing where instead of talking about some fake-ass guy like Chuck Norris, I am going to talk constantly about Fred Rogers, and how he genuinely was that nice. He genuinely loved his fellow man, and believed that God loves everyone "just the way they are."

I strive to be like him. Every day. In every way.

Me too, man.  Me too. 

The more I learn about Fred Rogers the better I like him.  Closest thing to a true Saint I know of.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 03, 2007, 07:13:15 pm
Re: Asherdan's Lock -
Nice work.

Quote from: Vador
Nah, I'm cool with the lock. This thread has run its purpose, and if A-CAP really wants to have sloppy-ass makeouts with LFM, he can damn sure take it to PM.

Cmon lady, i barely even posted in that thread, i had nothing to do with what that thread did.
Title: Re: Evel Knievel Lands All His Jumps...
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2007, 10:21:39 pm
A-CAP you are now entirely missing the point of a locked thread. Stop It.

Now I don't know much about Mr. Knievel but I vaguely remember the biggest jump he did was in some messed up rocket car and not a bike. As a random poll was this a legitimate jump or showy BS?