The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Golfhaus on December 05, 2007, 11:27:37 pm
-
Which one(s) are you? (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottjohnson/2086153791/in/set-72157601200807582/)
Me... I'm thinking about 80% Travel Geek, 10% Webcomic, 10% Gadget Geek.
-
I cant find "economics geek". But I guess history geek is pretty close.
-
Conspiracy geek... comics geek... film geek... rock geek... book geek... many geeks am I.
While I'm working on the book, though, book geek and conspiracy geek are in ascendance.
-
Hmm, lab, fitness, and I guess geek geek.
Lab geek twice over, since I do it for work, and I brew beer.
-
We are as many as the colors in nature, friends.
I guess I'm mostly an engineering and webcomic geek. I also geek out about food, books, photography, and art.
-
Jedi and Rock geek, ferdamnsure. Reformed Trek geek. Aspiring Fitness geek. Too bad Zeppelin geek is not a category.
-
Nintendo geek
Portable geek
Sports geek
Apple geek
Travel geek
Rock geek
Book geek
History geek
That's what I am. But some of these... Tron geek? Can you really be a Tron geek? That was just one movie, right?
-
There is a severe lack of origami geek in that picture, and papercraft just won't cut it. I mean, what kind of person uses glue and scissors on paper?! It's nearly profane.
Other than that, I think Nintendo, Apple, book, and food geek work for me.
-
I hate this geek classification system. Hate it to hell.
The things I really geek out about, though, are film and psychology. sometimes anthropology.
I wouldn't really say I am a music geek, but I probably am.
It's just that exclaiming "listen to this guitar solo!" just doesn't seem geeky. whereas, you know, saying "look at that cut! look at that fuck*ng jump-cut!" is. or, for instance, "man, episodic memory is instrumental in future planning, most likely because the mechanism which allows us to reconstruct past events is the same as that which allows us to imagine future ones."
I guess the most geeky thing is that... random things throughout the day make me think of psych experiments.
-
It's just that exclaiming "listen to this guitar solo!" just doesn't seem geeky.
It's good to hear you say this. I have a playlist on my iPod which is my 133 favorite guitar solos, and I was starting to worry that that made me a geek.
-
That's what I am. But some of these... Tron geek? Can you really be a Tron geek? That was just one movie, right?
A movie, a soundtrack album, an arcade game, two PC games, and I believe a book. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head.
Let's check Wikipedia.
Two arcade games, three Intellivision games and two Atari games. There was only one PC game; I was thinking of Tron 2.0 and Killer App, but the latter was only released for XBox. There's a movie sequel in production. There is also a current series of comic books. And a number of fan websites, of course.
So, yes. You really can be a Tron geek.
I do have to say, though, that there are some types of geeks missing. Where's the knitting geek? The LotR geek? The MATH geek, for Pete's sake. How could you forget the math geek?
I would say that if I could define my own geekiness, I would have to be a sumptuous blend of history geek, gamer geek, and knitting geek. I also have an unnatural amount of academic knowledge about Autism spectrum disorders and non-standard sexual practices. I'm not really sure what that last one says about me. I blame you guys. If it weren't for this board, I wouldn't find myself always having to google stuff like "female prostate."
-
Seems like one could probably make a porn adaptation of Rainman, thereby combining a couple of one's Interests.
Think I'll stop while the stopping's good.
-
This taxonomy of geeks seems queer.
-
It would seem that there is a geek not pictured. The geek geek.
-
It would seem that there is a geek not pictured. The geek geek.
Uh... bottom right. The artist painted himself.
-
d'oh!
I looked at these last week, and didn't remember. oops.
-
Did I miss the Monty Python Geek?
-
Did I miss the Monty Python Geek?
BURMA!
-
I thought a geek was someone that was really good at something, namely technology.
So has geek been redefined to mean really into something?
-
I thought a geek was a guy in a carnival who bit the heads off of animals.
-
My definition was always "a nerd with social skills."
-
oh, really?
I think of it as the opposite.
I mean, obviously, we can consult a source on this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08052005)
-
In the world of clique techtonics, there are three major groups: culture, counter, and dork. Culture houses jocks and preps, etc. Counter is for goth, punk, etc. Dork is where you get your geeks and nerds. Dorks lack the proper social skills to fit in with either the culture or the counter-culture. All geeks and nerds are dorks, but not all dorks fit into these categories. Geeks and nerds are generally notable for an interest in knowledge. Nerds those whose pursuits are solitary and generally academic in nature. Geeks tend to be into more trivial subjects and tend to congregate around them. Hence you have the "math nerd" and the "board game geek". But wait, wouldn't socialization take geeks out of the dork classification? Not really, because you don't have to be good at socializing to fit in with geeks. They are usually very accepting of a wide variety of social protocols. That's why the tattooed, foul-mouthed Warhammer geek and the bad-smelling Star Wars tie-wearing computer geek can both rock out to MC Frontalot and have a fun conversation about the merits of Tom Bombadil without totally getting on each other's nerves.
Technically this definition would make nerdcore hip-hop a geek thing and not a nerd thing. But "geekcore" sounds like a chicken-biting organization, and no one's into that.
PS - Yes I did make this up, but I did so more than a decade ago, which is like 80 internet-years. So it's basically a set of traditionally-held views at this point.
-
Well, its a can-worthy thesis in my view. Pretty consistent with my own experience.
-
See? See why I married him?
Oh, and Pedro -- you're getting old. You came up with this way more than ten years ago. More like, oh, fifteen or so. I think you had this one before we met, if not shortly thereafter.
You made this up before AOL was invented. That's pretty much the mesozoic era of the internet.
-
See? See why I married him?
Oh, and Pedro -- you're getting old. You came up with this way more than ten years ago. More like, oh, fifteen or so. I think you had this one before we met, if not shortly thereafter.
You made this up before AOL was invented. That's pretty much the mesozoic era of the internet.
Not to nitpick, but I remember using WAOL v1.1 in 93 or 94. In fact it's how I got my current name.
-
I knew somebody would look that up to prove me wrong.
Oh well. At least it got to be you, CJ. ;)
-
WAOL 1.1 was 1994. I used it in college, when my town had a single 2400 baud POP for AOL. They had a 10-character limit at that point, though, so I'm betting that 8 was 1993 era or so. I think I still have a bunch of those floppy disks, but now I don't have any computers that can read them. :(
I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 6-digit ICQ like all my buddies did.
-
WAOL 1.1 was 1994. I used it in college, when my town had a single 2400 baud POP for AOL. They had a 10-character limit at that point, though, so I'm betting that 8 was 1993 era or so. I think I still have a bunch of those floppy disks, but now I don't have any computers that can read them. :(
I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 6-digit ICQ like all my buddies did.
I have a six-digit ICQ number which I never even log into anymore. Everyone I talked to on ICQ has moved on to other services that don't suck.
-
2340573, muthafuckas!
But yeah, I haven't installed ICQ on the last three computers I've owned. After a while, the only people who ever messaged me were people from Ghana and the Phillipines. Either men asking for money or women wanting to get married so they could come to America.
-
2340573, muthafuckas!
But that's 7 digits...
-
2340573, muthafuckas!
But yeah, I haven't installed ICQ on the last three computers I've owned. After a while, the only people who ever messaged me were people from Ghana and the Phillipines. Either men asking for money or women wanting to get married so they could come to America.
I also have a seven-digit ICQ number, 6736790. At least I got a really rad one, though. But I don't use it anymore either.
-
But that's 7 digits...
Shit... it was the 7-digit ones that were cool-but-still-common. The 6-digit ones were the ones that at one point were going for $200 on eBay. Fuck that noise.
-
Yeah, well, Pedro and I met in 1994, so if he had his Geek Tectonics theory before he met me (which I'm pretty sure he did), I was still right.
Also, I had a 7-digit ICQ number, but haven't used it in so long I don't even know how I'd find it again.
Now the thing seems to be having your real.name@gmail.com.
-
yeah, what the heck. mine is daniel.(my middle initial fuck you spambots).(my last name fuck you stalkers)@gmail.com, and basically everyone I know has that email formula.
-
People still use ICQ?
Good God, I think I stopped using that in exchange for IM in, like, my sophomore year of college.
I just assumed. I guess I do that a lot.
-
I still log onto ICQ every day. The only person on my list who is ever online is my housemate.
At least having trillian makes my list look less bare due to msn, but even that's decreasing nowadays.
-
Now the thing seems to be having your real.name@gmail.com.
I have one of those, almost - but it has no period in it. Is that tacky? Yeah, it must be. It would be just like me to have just managed to screw up getting with the fashion.
That's ones only for work, though. All my others are still more imaginative. So I guess I'm still mainly living in the past.
-
I have one of those, almost - but it has no period in it. Is that tacky? Yeah, it must be. It would be just like me to have just managed to screw up getting with the fashion.
That's ones only for work, though. All my others are still more imaginative. So I guess I'm still mainly living in the past.
I have one. It's my main address, but no period.
-
I've done all I can to avoid having firstname.lastname
I've settled for surnameinitials because it was a login for work and I got used to it.
-
I have jldunston.
What else would I have?
My yahoo account is firstname_lastname, as was the style at the time. I don't know when the period became more stylish than the underscore, but I prefer the underscore because it's easier to see when you write it down for someone.
-
so. I need to decide whether to immediately drop "Linguistic Legacy of the African Slave Trade." On the one hand, it's taught by a guy who is supposed to be pretty great. On the other hand... our textbooks are 3 books that he wrote. This, to me, indicates that he is probably ridiculous. Although, maybe there aren't that many good books on the topic? My good friend is also enrolled, and has already said he's going to drop it. If I drop it, I can either have a really reasonable schedule which won't overwhelm me, or else add a really cool class about African music and its influence. Which a girl I like is in, not that that is a real factor in making educational choices. I am probably going to go to the first class on tuesday and scope it out regardless, but I'm already skeptical due to the whole textbook issue.
I am pretty sure gmail doesn't allow you to have underscores.
-
I have a first.Last@gmail.com that is only used for business and super-personal issues and a nickname@gmail.com address that is used for everything else. I originally did gmail because I heard it was good for spam protection, then I learned that google, the company, tracks keywords in your email to tailor ads. As a libertarian this bothers me, but as a realist, I dont think google, the company, is really interested in what I email to people.
-
If I drop it, I can either have a really reasonable schedule which won't overwhelm me, or else add a really cool class about African music and its influence.
Dude, door number one. Seriously.
It's college. Relax.
-
see, but... a really cool class about african music, with a girl I have consistently had a crush on since I met her the first day of school, is like my dream of what college is. Also, you know, it is basically what I like to do in my free time. at the same time, I'm not fooling myself, it could still potentially be a hard class. and I need to drop one class regardless, taking 6 classes is not a good choice.
oh, um, this was supposed to be in Today I'm Gonna.
-
I took a class over Sub-Saharan African Music and its Caribbean influences and I fuck*ng loved it and got a super easy A. Lots of people in my class had trouble with it, but I doubt that would be an issue for you. Take it and drop another.
Edit: Ah, it was in summer school though, and I found summer classes to be super fuck*ng easy as a rule, so... I would still take it though. My class was pretty sweet.
-
yeah, the other option is my Fiction Writing class. Which I really want to take, but the first email he sent us basically makes me think I'll dislike the grad student teaching it. or else, i'm reading the email in the wrong tone, and I will love him immediately and utterly.
-
yeah, the other option is my Fiction Writing class. Which I really want to take, but the first email he sent us basically makes me think I'll dislike the grad student teaching it. or else, i'm reading the email in the wrong tone, and I will love him immediately and utterly.
My guess is that your linguistics class would either be incredible or lousy -- no middle ground. Could you do a little more research on the guy? Maybe meet him or talk to some people who've taken the class? If you get a good feel, I'd say go for it.
On the other hand, the two Fiction Writing classes I took at Wash U were amazing. Stanley Elkin and Lee Abbot. Kickass.
-
Yeah Inev, I would say don't overwhelm yourself, if you take too many subjects they'll all suffer. Take the cool course, you could always make it up with an extra semester, after three or four years another six months ain't no big thing.
One of the best courses I've ever taken was a first year statistics course where the professor wrote the text and the main program we used for statistical calculations. He was an awesomely likeable maths geek that just wanted people to love statistics as much as he did.
-
I have a first.Last@gmail.com that is only used for business and super-personal issues and a nickname@gmail.com address that is used for everything else. I originally did gmail because I heard it was good for spam protection, then I learned that google, the company, tracks keywords in your email to tailor ads. As a libertarian this bothers me, but as a realist, I dont think google, the company, is really interested in what I email to people.
I can see why this would bother you personally, but from a purely libertarian stance, I don't see what's wrong with it.
-
Hm. I am going to at least go to the class tomorrow to see what it is like. A bunch of my friends are in the music class, also.
Another factor is that the linguistics thing only meets one day a week, for three hours at once. Crazy.
-
Another factor is that the linguistics thing only meets one day a week, for three hours at once. Crazy.
Those were my favorite classes as an undergrad, and pretty much all I took as a grad student.
But then, I am an academic masochist, so...YMMV.
-
YMMV?
Plus, me too. I think we have been over this topic too.
-
YMMV?
Plus, me too. I think we have been over this topic too.
Your mileage may vary. Also, Youre Massaging My pu$$y
-
"Your Mileage May Vary"... interestingly, if I was ever going to do an online comic that was all one-offs, such as PBF as is being discussed in other threads, that was alway going to be my title for it.
Except that I don't know how to build a webpage, I don't know how to manipulate a drawing in my computer and I can actually only draw a little to begin with.
Sadly, of course, these are all deal-breakers to doing an online comic.
-
I... I thought you were going to go for saying that none of those are deal-breakers, based on the comics that exist.
-
It would be a dealbreaker if you weren't canned for that one, Nev. Good thing you were.
Honestly, it's a lot more that middle one... my complete ignorance toward digitally manipulating a scan, near-total lack of Photoshop literacy and all that... that has actually prevented me from ever giving an online comic a real try.
I draw better than a lot of online comics, really, even though I don't draw that well and... I have enough friends who understand how to build a webpage who could set me up with something simple that I could update myself...
It's that middle part that kills me.
Hand-drawn, scanned in with no other tweaking and dumped onto the net... looks childishly ugly. I could get a friend or two to build me a bare-bones site, I definitely could not get someone to digitally clean up my comic three to four times a week, that's asking way too much without remuneration.