Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 56 Geeks  (Read 8480 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 06:01:35 pm »

2340573, muthafuckas!


But that's 7 digits...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 06:02:36 pm »

2340573, muthafuckas!

But yeah, I haven't installed ICQ on the last three computers I've owned. After a while, the only people who ever messaged me were people from Ghana and the Phillipines. Either men asking for money or women wanting to get married so they could come to America.

I also have a seven-digit ICQ number, 6736790. At least I got a really rad one, though. But I don't use it anymore either.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 10:04:10 pm »

But that's 7 digits...

Shit... it was the 7-digit ones that were cool-but-still-common. The 6-digit ones were the ones that at one point were going for $200 on eBay. Fuck that noise.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 10:36:17 pm »

Yeah, well, Pedro and I met in 1994, so if he had his Geek Tectonics theory before he met me (which I'm pretty sure he did), I was still right. 

Also, I had a 7-digit ICQ number, but haven't used it in so long I don't even know how I'd find it again. 

Now the thing seems to be having your real.name@gmail.com. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »

yeah, what the heck. mine is daniel.(my middle initial fuck you spambots).(my last name fuck you stalkers)@gmail.com, and basically everyone I know has that email formula.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 12:31:40 am »

People still use ICQ?

Good God, I think I stopped using that in exchange for IM in, like, my sophomore year of college.

I just assumed. I guess I do that a lot.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 01:37:26 am »

I still log onto ICQ every day. The only person on my list who is ever online is my housemate.
At least having trillian makes my list look less bare due to msn, but even that's decreasing nowadays.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 03:07:52 am »

Now the thing seems to be having your real.name@gmail.com. 

I have one of those, almost - but it has no period in it. Is that tacky? Yeah, it must be. It would be just like me to have just managed to screw up getting with the fashion.

That's ones only for work, though. All my others are still more imaginative. So I guess I'm still mainly living in the past.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 03:49:11 am »

I have one of those, almost - but it has no period in it. Is that tacky? Yeah, it must be. It would be just like me to have just managed to screw up getting with the fashion.

That's ones only for work, though. All my others are still more imaginative. So I guess I'm still mainly living in the past.

I have one.  It's my main address, but no period.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 04:24:47 am »

I've done all I can to avoid having firstname.lastname
I've settled for surnameinitials because it was a login for work and I got used to it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 04:27:13 am »

I have jldunston. 

What else would I have? 

My yahoo account is firstname_lastname, as was the style at the time.  I don't know when the period became more stylish than the underscore, but I prefer the underscore because it's easier to see when you write it down for someone. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 04:44:19 am »

so. I need to decide whether to immediately drop "Linguistic Legacy of the African Slave Trade." On the one hand, it's taught by a guy who is supposed to be pretty great. On the other hand... our textbooks are 3 books that he wrote. This, to me, indicates that he is probably ridiculous. Although, maybe there aren't that many good books on the topic? My good friend is also enrolled, and has already said he's going to drop it. If I drop it, I can either have a really reasonable schedule which won't overwhelm me, or else add a really cool class about African music and its influence. Which a girl I like is in, not that that is a real factor in making educational choices. I am probably going to go to the first class on tuesday and scope it out regardless, but I'm already skeptical due to the whole textbook issue.

I am pretty sure gmail doesn't allow you to have underscores.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 04:44:46 am »

I have a first.Last@gmail.com that is only used for business and super-personal issues and a nickname@gmail.com address that is used for everything else. I originally did gmail because I heard it was good for spam protection, then I learned that google, the company, tracks keywords in your email to tailor ads. As a libertarian this bothers me, but as a realist, I dont think google, the company, is really interested in what I email to people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 04:59:28 am »

If I drop it, I can either have a really reasonable schedule which won't overwhelm me, or else add a really cool class about African music and its influence.

Dude, door number one.  Seriously. 

It's college.  Relax. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 05:25:46 am »

see, but... a really cool class about african music, with a girl I have consistently had a crush on since I met her the first day of school, is like my dream of what college is. Also, you know, it is basically what I like to do in my free time. at the same time, I'm not fooling myself, it could still potentially be a hard class. and I need to drop one class regardless, taking 6 classes is not a good choice.

oh, um, this was supposed to be in Today I'm Gonna.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:31:59 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up