Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 56 Geeks  (Read 8520 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:26 am »

I took a class over Sub-Saharan African Music and its Caribbean influences and I fuck*ng loved it and got a super easy A.  Lots of people in my class had trouble with it, but I doubt that would be an issue for you.  Take it and drop another.


Edit:  Ah, it was in summer school though, and I found summer classes to be super fuck*ng easy as a rule, so... I would still take it though.  My class was pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:39:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 05:50:18 am »

yeah, the other option is my Fiction Writing class. Which I really want to take, but the first email he sent us basically makes me think I'll dislike the grad student teaching it. or else, i'm reading the email in the wrong tone, and I will love him immediately and utterly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:33 am »

yeah, the other option is my Fiction Writing class. Which I really want to take, but the first email he sent us basically makes me think I'll dislike the grad student teaching it. or else, i'm reading the email in the wrong tone, and I will love him immediately and utterly.

My guess is that your linguistics class would either be incredible or lousy -- no middle ground.  Could you do a little more research on the guy?  Maybe meet him or talk to some people who've taken the class?  If you get a good feel, I'd say go for it.

On the other hand, the two Fiction Writing classes I took at Wash U were amazing.  Stanley Elkin and Lee Abbot.  Kickass.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 10:35:16 am »

Yeah Inev, I would say don't overwhelm yourself, if you take too many subjects they'll all suffer. Take the cool course, you could always make it up with an extra semester, after three or four years another six months ain't no big thing.
One of the best courses I've ever taken was a first year statistics course where the professor wrote the text and the main program we used for statistical calculations. He was an awesomely likeable maths geek that just wanted people to love statistics as much as he did.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »

I have a first.Last@gmail.com that is only used for business and super-personal issues and a nickname@gmail.com address that is used for everything else. I originally did gmail because I heard it was good for spam protection, then I learned that google, the company, tracks keywords in your email to tailor ads. As a libertarian this bothers me, but as a realist, I dont think google, the company, is really interested in what I email to people.

I can see why this would bother you personally, but from a purely libertarian stance, I don't see what's wrong with it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 11:21:41 pm »

Hm. I am going to at least go to the class tomorrow to see what it is like. A bunch of my friends are in the music class, also.
Another factor is that the linguistics thing only meets one day a week, for three hours at once. Crazy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2008, 12:48:10 am »

Another factor is that the linguistics thing only meets one day a week, for three hours at once. Crazy.

Those were my favorite classes as an undergrad, and pretty much all I took as a grad student. 

But then, I am an academic masochist, so...YMMV. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2008, 01:00:09 am »

YMMV?

Plus, me too.  I think we have been over this topic too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2008, 01:14:45 am »

YMMV?

Plus, me too.  I think we have been over this topic too.
Your mileage may vary. Also, Youre Massaging My pu$$y
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:08 am »

"Your Mileage May Vary"... interestingly, if I was ever going to do an online comic that was all one-offs, such as PBF as is being discussed in other threads, that was alway going to be my title for it.

Except that I don't know how to build a webpage, I don't know how to manipulate a drawing in my computer and I can actually only draw a little to begin with.

Sadly, of course, these are all deal-breakers to doing an online comic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:33 am »

I... I thought you were going to go for saying that none of those are deal-breakers, based on the comics that exist.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 01:49:12 am »

It would be a dealbreaker if you weren't canned for that one, Nev. Good thing you were.

Honestly, it's a lot more that middle one... my complete ignorance toward digitally manipulating a scan, near-total lack of Photoshop literacy and all that... that has actually prevented me from ever giving an online comic a real try.

I draw better than a lot of online comics, really, even though I don't draw that well and... I have enough friends who understand how to build a webpage who could set me up with something simple that I could update myself...

It's that middle part that kills me.

Hand-drawn, scanned in with no other tweaking and dumped onto the net... looks childishly ugly. I could get a friend or two to build me a bare-bones site, I definitely could not get someone to digitally clean up my comic three to four times a week, that's asking way too much without remuneration.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up