The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on March 18, 2008, 05:56:50 pm

Title: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2008, 05:56:50 pm
I dunno.  Funny stuff, but out of character for Phillippe.

Edited for permalink.  [jld]

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03182008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03182008)
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: melack on March 18, 2008, 05:59:27 pm
I like this one, but I tend to like any strip that involves Mr. Bear imparting his years of wisdom on Phillipe.

P.S. The alt-text mentions slow-release triple entendre. I'm afraid to know what that is.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: CortJstr on March 18, 2008, 06:09:15 pm
Evil Philippe in panel 6 is pretty badass. He should tap into the nether-regions of the soul more often.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 18, 2008, 06:20:57 pm
This was pretty funny, but the last joke in particular was a little sophisticated for sweet little Phillipe. I felt like the athlete's foot one was more in character.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 18, 2008, 06:21:59 pm
I dunno.  Funny stuff, but out of character for Phillippe.

Philippe has displayed out-of-character abilities to Mr. Bear before (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09182006), however.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: wombat on March 18, 2008, 06:22:55 pm
I think... our little boy is growing up. *sniff*
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2008, 07:00:39 pm

Edited for permalink.  [jld]

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03182008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03182008)

D'oh!
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: colmore on March 18, 2008, 07:29:44 pm
Has anyone else ever had to endure a 7 year old who has just discovered what sarcasm is?  It can be bad.  I have to imagine that I was intolerable.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 18, 2008, 08:07:03 pm
Philippe has displayed out-of-character abilities to Mr. Bear before (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09182006), however.

Very specific out of character quirks are great.  Like Homer Simpson's obsession with Supreme Court Justices.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Golfhaus on March 18, 2008, 10:52:49 pm
Well, he already had the ability to create polyglot palindromes.

Still, though, look at the people Philippe lives with and hangs out with. His sarcasm and unique worldview is going to develop superfast.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 18, 2008, 11:54:41 pm
Well, he already had the ability to create polyglot palindromes.

Still, though, look at the people Philippe lives with and hangs out with. His sarcasm and unique worldview is going to develop superfast.

Three words here.

HOT.  BLOODY.  FAT. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202004)

Shit, man.  Some even got on the mayor.  Like.  Shit.  Cleanup on aisle mayor.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 19, 2008, 03:01:40 am
Children can be dark in ways that they do not fully understand because, like, we tell them horrifically gory stories about anthropomorphic animals that die in gruesome fashions.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: oball on March 19, 2008, 04:10:53 am
Whoah! Philippe's working some rough chuckles these days!
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 04:15:17 am
Ok peopler, seriously, the joke is built within the strip. Establish a trend and then brake it - joke formula of the times. The otter has been building a trend for years, so whever he breaks that trend it is "a joke". He compacts that here by telling X and Y then Z breaks the pattern. The joke is the meta irony of the irony of the strip.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2008, 05:41:32 am
A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

I want to be Meta-Knight because I imagine that if I hit the right combination of buttons he will act Meta in a way which allows me to win.



OH, also, maybe A-CAP is Meta Knight.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2008, 05:56:55 am
Meta Knight wins by the game selling ridiculously well. Thus he wins on a level above where all the other characters are playing.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Ben-San on March 19, 2008, 06:48:32 am
A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

He is meta in the sense of "the Japanese think Meta sounds cool as a prefix". There's a boss in the game called Meta Ridley too.

Frankly I don't care what Meta Knight calls himself. To me, he is awesome for being a complete badass despite being essentially a purple puffball guy.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: MagFlare on March 19, 2008, 12:51:30 pm
A character in Super Smash Brother brawl is called Meta Knight, and I know that he is a Kirby character, but... is he Meta? How is he Meta?

I want to be Meta-Knight because I imagine that if I hit the right combination of buttons he will act Meta in a way which allows me to win.

OH, also, maybe A-CAP is Meta Knight.

Snake is way more meta than Meta Knight. Perform the right series of taunts on the Shadow Moses stage and Snake will have Codec conversations with his commanding officer in which he appears to recognize that he's a videogame character. Can't get much more meta than that.

Quote from: theinevitable
He is meta in the sense of "the Japanese think Meta sounds cool as a prefix". There's a boss in the game called Meta Ridley too.

Alas, Meta Ridley can't be blamed on the Japs. He's a product of the American-developed Metroid Prime series.

And there it sort of makes sense, if you're willing to accept that a Ridley with automaton bits is "beyond" a typical, fleshy Ridley.

(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2008, 01:22:34 pm
(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)

Keep your ##### on.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2008, 03:13:08 pm
(Edit: That's easily the least explicable autocensor I've ever seen.)

You're new(ish).  Give it time. 

Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2008, 03:24:33 pm
You're new(ish).  Give it time. 

Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 

Cheater. That should be a much more... interesting daiquiri flavor and you know it.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 19, 2008, 04:13:31 pm
Cheater. That should be a much more... interesting daiquiri flavor and you know it.

Clamato?
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2008, 05:00:18 pm
Nice edit, tho.  Here, have a strawberry daiquiri on the house. 
Ah - the reply editor revealed JL's secret.  I was going to ask about awesome mod powers.  Once I made a Farklish reference to cocks (there is a common euphemism over there) and nearly felt the sting of Jough's pimp hand for filter circumvention.

Edit: oh, the subtleties of the Touamb system!
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2008, 05:04:34 pm
I, too, have been struck down by the mighty fist of Jough. 

But when the cat's away, and all...
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 19, 2008, 06:25:45 pm
I, too, have been struck down by the mighty fist of Jough. 

But when the cat's away, and all...

Waitwaitwait.  Are we saying that when Jough's cat runs off, he gains super powers?  Can he attain this 'mighty fist' by simply throwing the cat out, or must it leave of its own accord.  That would be the best super-power-with-disabling-twist ever!

Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2008, 06:35:32 pm
I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."

That would be a very useful power for a secretary to have.
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 06:43:10 pm
(http://media.gwn.com/articles/supersmashbrosbrawlcharacters/1.jpg)
Me?
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2008, 07:14:17 pm
Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."

Dear, did you forget that these people don't all live in my head, and therefore have no idea what you're talking about?

We all know that TOUAMB lives in wombat's head. 
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2008, 08:10:13 pm
We all know that TOUAMB lives in wombat's head. 

Hey, that's where the migraines come from.

How did I never make the connection before?
Title: Re: March 18, 2008 -- Already mining dark veins in the service of your craft.
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2008, 08:22:03 pm
That would be a very useful power for a secretary to have.
Well, pretty good, anyway.  I mean, it's no "I read minds, but can only see the things you've forgotten."
I would think its in the job description.