The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 20, 2008, 11:55:01 am
-
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03202008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03202008)
The otter tells it like it is.
-
I don't really get the pudding joke. But the tuxedo one is my favorite. But that might just be because it reminds me of a line from the Venture Brothers.
-
Yeah the pudding one is confusing. Is there a different pronunciation over there? Is it more like 'putting' or something? Even that doesn't really make sense though.
-
I wanted to do stand-up once. So you know what I did? I found a comedy club with an amateur night and auditioned.
I didn't insert my lame-ass, out-of-character one-liners into the mouth of a character in an otherwise usually funny webcomic.
-
It's freaking me out a bit too, but I have faith it's going somewhere.
-
I don't really get the pudding joke. But the tuxedo one is my favorite. But that might just be because it reminds me of a line from the Venture Brothers.
Maybe it means you can keep your resolution to skip "dessert" but still enjoy a sweet apres-entree course by calling it by a different name.
-
I don't really get the pudding joke.
me neither. maybe he's trying to say that something called 'pudding' doesn't sound like it would have a good taste? or that if a food item is called something else instead of 'dessert', it automatically stops being as fattening?
But the tuxedo one is my favorite. But that might just be because it reminds me of a line from the Venture Brothers.
yep
-
I don't understand the one about the book.
-
if youre in a building that is on fire, its probably a good decision to judge a book that is in the building by its cover
yeah this one doesnt make too much sense either. i guess he feels the need to have some judgement on it?
-
Every now and then the devil bites me in the ass and makes me want to do something I probably shouldn't bother about.
What I really want to do is steal JL's comments and go post them as HaterDan over at the assbar and swim slowly away from the chum in the water. Laughing.
Do it! Do it!
-
I do like P-Money's conspiratorial smile in the last panel but... yeah.
Kind of a down day.
-
I am torn.
On the one hand, I definitely wanna see the fall-out.
On the other hand, the assbar definitely kicks my faith in humanity down a notch and... lately... I kinda don't know if I wanna see what that would look like down another notch. What happens when a dude is out of notches?
-
your dad gets out a nail and a hammer and you make another notch, and he says something about how he doesn't think it should be so hard to find belts that fit you?
-
I just figured out that Philippe is reminding me of Calvin in a big way. And they're only a year apart! Yet there's so much of a maturity difference between them. Imagine if they met; obviously Calvin would tear Philippe to intellectual shreds. Whoah, what if Calvin and Hobbes met the characters of Achewood?
-
I could dig on the idea that Lyle used to BE Hobbes because the crushing truths of pretend-reality descended upon him and drove him into a bottle.
One day, Calvin got really into an MMORPG game online and stopped using his imagination and so... Hobbes kind of had to wander off, change his name, find a new life and just... failed at it, went Underground (literally, figuratively) and became a hopeless drunk, his competence in his sober moments rivaled only by his deep desire to avoid sober moments.
-
me neither. maybe he's trying to say that something called 'pudding' doesn't sound like it would have a good taste? or that if a food item is called something else instead of 'dessert', it automatically stops being as fattening?
yep
Despite all of assbar's faults, it actually did explain this joke correctly, I think (I was only over there to see the fallout from Asherdan's latest bit of fun, by the way.) Note that Philippe says "Instead of dessert, English people say 'pudding' ". The idea seems to be that what Philippe means is that instead of eating dessert, English people say "pudding", which would obviously be less fattening.
-
The chum is in the water...
The fallout is disappointingly limp. I thought it was a perfectly inflammatory line.
-
To expect anything from the assbar is folly, I s'pose.
They can't even get being dipshits right.
-
if youre in a building that is on fire, its probably a good decision to judge a book that is in the building by its cover
yeah this one doesnt make too much sense either. i guess he feels the need to have some judgement on it?
I actually really liked that one. It appealed to my absurdist streak. Phillipe looks kinda downcast while he's telling it. "Seriously, man, don't be a hero! No! Man!"
I liked this strip overall. The irony of putting these witty things in Phillipe's mouth is... ironic.
-
One day, Calvin got really into an MMORPG game online and stopped using his imagination and so... Hobbes kind of had to wander off, change his name, find a new life and just... failed at it, went Underground (literally, figuratively) and became a hopeless drunk, his competence in his sober moments rivaled only by his deep desire to avoid sober moments.
It wasn't an MMORPG (http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=calvinaddremix5rk.jpg).
-
some part of me wishes those damn pills could turn me into a work-doing ***** at least part of the time.
-
It wasn't an MMORPG (http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=calvinaddremix5rk.jpg).
HEY EVERYBODY STOP LOOKING FOR THE SADDEST THING WE JUST FOUND IT
-
I'm pretty sure I or someone else posted that on The Saddest Thing back when... people posted on that.
-
Ah, though, I can tell you from personal experience that The Pills don't stop you from imagining. They help you imagine less terrible things and terrible things less frequently but that's as far as it goes.
It does nothing to kill your imagination in quite the way that experience-point-farming does.
-
I don't know what to think of this one. On the one hand, it's out of character.... which is bad, right? I'm not terribly sure on that one. Phillipe's character doesn't get defined too often. He's usually dumb-innocent-kid. But he's also really articulate (hence the resemblance to Calvin) so this isn't too out of character taken as Phillipe doing his weird little brain's version of edgy comedy.
Also, when I first moved away from my little home town, I started going to see shows at comedy clubs. Don't do this. Watching someone bomb at their tiny little standup gig is the most painful thing in the entire world. His eyes dart around the audience, he wavers a moment -- riff on the joke a little more to see how to make it connect for next time, or just move on to your other bit. The audience is silent except for his girlfriend who is laughing too hard. Just awful. Phillipe is a lot better than a lot of small time comics.
Also, you can totally judge a book by its cover. I like those new Penguin classics with the indie cartoonists doing the covers. That cover says to me "here's a dusty bit of old literature that we think the hip grad student set might like" and that right there is a sale. Also 60s and 70s paperbacks. All of them.
-
a good cover doesn't affect my judgment as much as a Bad cover.
-
I bought Jimmy Corrigan for the cover. Really, I think there are a lot of pretty obvious reasons why a buying a comic book based on the cover is a great idea. When I lived two blocks from a great little comic shop, I would drop in and buy 2 or 3 24-ish page staple-bound indie comics or zines a week. It was cheap so I'd just grab things that looked cool from the cover alone. It's a good antidote to the modern comic book buyer's problem, where it can seem that everything worthwhile is $40 and hardbound.
-
I just figured out that Philippe is reminding me of Calvin in a big way. And they're only a year apart! Yet there's so much of a maturity difference between them. Imagine if they met; obviously Calvin would tear Philippe to intellectual shreds. Whoah, what if Calvin and Hobbes met the characters of Achewood?
(http://shammack.oc9.org/chwhatiftheymet.gif)
-
Hey! Gloomba's back!
-
Watching someone bomb at their tiny little standup gig is the most painful thing in the entire world. His eyes dart around the audience, he wavers a moment -- riff on the joke a little more to see how to make it connect for next time, or just move on to your other bit. The audience is silent except for his girlfriend who is laughing too hard.
That is painful, but you know what's painfuller? Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit. The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine. I saw that once and I never want to see it again.
-
That is painful, but you know what's painfuller? Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit. The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine. I saw that once and I never want to see it again.
The Saddest Thing.
-
That is painful, but you know what's painfuller? Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit. The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine. I saw that once and I never want to see it again.
In what capacity where you there? The way I see it, you were either the judge, the bailiff, or the ex-wife's new squeeze.
-
"huh, I'm presiding over this divorce case coming up... I'd better go see his stand-up routine in advance, just to be prepared."
-
In what capacity where you there? The way I see it, you were either the judge, the bailiff, or the ex-wife's new squeeze.
I was a student intern, kind of being a bailiff, rolling tape on the debacle. I actually witnessed several hearings with this guy, each one sadder than the last. See, at the start, he had a lawyer. Then the money ran out. For a while, he would sort of maintain his "funnyman" demeanor, as though he was bombing in some smoky club instead of a courtroom. But in the last hearing I saw, he cried.
I'm serious, this was not cool.
-
You can judge this book by its cover. (http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2008/03/castles-in-air.html)
-
You can judge this book by its cover. (http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2008/03/castles-in-air.html)
Thanks for that 30 minute diversion into learning about PS disasters.
-
Also, you can totally judge a book by its cover. I like those new Penguin classics with the indie cartoonists doing the covers. That cover says to me "here's a dusty bit of old literature that we think the hip grad student set might like" and that right there is a sale. Also 60s and 70s paperbacks. All of them.
I bought Gravity's Rainbow because it had a cool rocketship diagram on the cover. Damn you Penguin, what with all your crazy covers.
-
V and The Crying of Lot 49 aren't such chores.
-
Those two are in the "Three easiest Pynchon books to read" list.
-
I bought Gravity's Rainbow because it had a cool rocketship diagram on the cover. Damn you Penguin, what with all your crazy covers.
I picked up a new Dharma Bums because it had Japhy and Ray rendered as cartoon dogs.