Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: March 20 2008 - If homeless people are so clever, how come they can't fly?  (Read 6537 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

me neither. maybe he's trying to say that something called 'pudding' doesn't sound like it would have a good taste? or that if a food item is called something else instead of 'dessert', it automatically stops being as fattening?
yep

Despite all of assbar's faults, it actually did explain this joke correctly, I think (I was only over there to see the fallout from Asherdan's latest bit of fun, by the way.)  Note that Philippe says "Instead of dessert, English people say 'pudding' ". The idea seems to be that what Philippe means is that instead of eating dessert, English people say "pudding", which would obviously be less fattening.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

The chum is in the water...
The fallout is disappointingly limp.  I thought it was a perfectly inflammatory line.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

To expect anything from the assbar is folly, I s'pose.

They can't even get being dipshits right.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile

if youre in a building that is on fire, its probably a good decision to judge a book that is in the building by its cover

yeah this one doesnt make too much sense either. i guess he feels the need to have some judgement on it?

I actually really liked that one. It appealed to my absurdist streak. Phillipe looks kinda downcast while he's telling it. "Seriously, man, don't be a hero! No! Man!"

I liked this strip overall. The irony of putting these witty things in Phillipe's mouth is... ironic.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

One day, Calvin got really into an MMORPG game online and stopped using his imagination and so... Hobbes kind of had to wander off, change his name, find a new life and just... failed at it, went Underground (literally, figuratively) and became a hopeless drunk, his competence in his sober moments rivaled only by his deep desire to avoid sober moments.

It wasn't an MMORPG.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

some part of me wishes those damn pills could turn me into a work-doing ***** at least part of the time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

It wasn't an MMORPG.

HEY EVERYBODY STOP LOOKING FOR THE SADDEST THING WE JUST FOUND IT
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

I'm pretty sure I or someone else posted that on The Saddest Thing back when... people posted on that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Ah, though, I can tell you from personal experience that The Pills don't stop you from imagining. They help you imagine less terrible things and terrible things less frequently but that's as far as it goes.

It does nothing to kill your imagination in quite the way that experience-point-farming does.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

I don't know what to think of this one.  On the one hand, it's out of character.... which is bad, right?  I'm not terribly sure on that one.  Phillipe's character doesn't get defined too often.  He's usually dumb-innocent-kid.  But he's also really articulate (hence the resemblance to Calvin) so this isn't too out of character taken as Phillipe doing his weird little brain's version of edgy comedy.

Also, when I first moved away from my little home town, I started going to see shows at comedy clubs.  Don't do this.  Watching someone bomb at their tiny little standup gig is the most painful thing in the entire world.  His eyes dart around the audience, he wavers a moment -- riff on the joke a little more to see how to make it connect for next time, or just move on to your other bit.  The audience is silent except for his girlfriend who is laughing too hard.  Just awful.  Phillipe is a lot better than a lot of small time comics.

Also, you can totally judge a book by its cover.  I like those new Penguin classics with the indie cartoonists doing the covers.  That cover says to me "here's a dusty bit of old literature that we think the hip grad student set might like" and that right there is a sale.  Also 60s and 70s paperbacks.  All of them.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

a good cover doesn't affect my judgment as much as a Bad cover.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

I bought Jimmy Corrigan for the cover.  Really, I think there are a lot of pretty obvious reasons why a buying a comic book based on the cover is a great idea.  When I lived two blocks from a great little comic shop, I would drop in and buy 2 or 3 24-ish page staple-bound indie comics or zines a week.  It was cheap so I'd just grab things that looked cool from the cover alone.  It's a good antidote to the modern comic book buyer's problem, where it can seem that everything worthwhile is $40 and hardbound.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile

I just figured out that Philippe is reminding me of Calvin in a big way. And they're only a year apart! Yet there's so much of a maturity difference between them.  Imagine if they met; obviously Calvin would tear Philippe to intellectual shreds. Whoah, what if Calvin and Hobbes met the characters of Achewood?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:18:50 am by gloomba »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Hey!  Gloomba's back! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile

Watching someone bomb at their tiny little standup gig is the most painful thing in the entire world.  His eyes dart around the audience, he wavers a moment -- riff on the joke a little more to see how to make it connect for next time, or just move on to your other bit.  The audience is silent except for his girlfriend who is laughing too hard.

That is painful, but you know what's painfuller?  Watching that same someone represent himself in a divorce lawsuit.  The blue suit, the comic persona not masking the pain inside, the ex-wife's lawyer getting in successful one-liners about whether his testimony is a stand-up routine.  I saw that once and I never want to see it again.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up