The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Lenoxus on March 21, 2008, 04:28:08 pm
-
Maybe this isn't the best forum to ask this in, but I don't care. So it's like this: Whenever I change the threshold for hidden lamed comments (or highlighted chubbied ones, for that matter), it doesn't register, and instead always resets to 3 for each. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 on a Mac Mini running Mac OS 10.4.11. Any thoughts? Need any more tedious information about my computer? Want to share some of your own?
-
Have you disabled cookies or something similar. If it's simply not retaining the settings that's got to be something to do with your browser settings.
Or it could be a problem on the other end. I've never used it *shrugs*.
Stay here instead.... we'll take care of you.
Edit: We don't have an auto-correct for 'AssetBar' yet? Come on Jough... that's giraffe in a barrel.
-
thanks for the tip
i'll try it out now!
We don't have an auto-correct for 'AssetBar' yet? Come on Jough... that's giraffe in a barrel.
I hypothesize that the fix you're contemplating would change it to "AssBar," a term of derision I've only recently encountered and scratched my head over. If you'll indulge the curiosity of a newperson like me, why this generalized hate?
-
Possibly it has something to do with the fact that even mildly negative comments are censored.
-
thanks for the tip
i'll try it out now!
I hypothesize that the fix you're contemplating would change it to "AssBar," a term of derision I've only recently encountered and scratched my head over. If you'll indulge the curiosity of a newperson like me, why this generalized hate?
Some of us were part of a message board Onstad moderated over at Dumbrella back in knucklehead days. After a while, he threw us out. (Why? You'd have to ask him. Theories abound.) That's when we came here. Then, four years later, he started using AssetBar. So we are annoyed because we feel like he cast out his old-school, loyal fans in favor if incomprehensible toadies who have nothing better to talk about than how brilliant he is.
As such, while we pretty much still like the strip, we're ambivalent about its creator and derisive towards AssetBar. And since our Admin Of Iron-Fistedness creates filters to screen such words as *****, #####, and %%%%%, changing AssetBar to AssBar isn't that great a logical leap.
That, and the people who post there are idiots. Sucks to your AssBar!
-
thanks for the tip
i'll try it out now!
I hypothesize that the fix you're contemplating would change it to "AssBar," a term of derision I've only recently encountered and scratched my head over. If you'll indulge the curiosity of a newperson like me, why this generalized hate?
Welcome valued new member!
Thanks for asking in such a nice way.
There are several reasons you'll find derisions of the Asset Bar here. Most of it has to do with the difference between an audience (which is what Asset Bar is) and a community (which is what TOUAMB is, aside from an awful abbreviation).
REASONS
1. Acrimony. Many of us are refugees from Achewood's first message board and commentary system, the Dumbrella boards. Onstad dumped the Dumbrella board because he felt:
a. the discussions had become about the people posting instead of the strip (i.e. he wanted an audience, and got a community)
b. he didn't necessarily want the community that was forming to represent his work or his audience to new fans. Whatever impression they had of the boards would carry into their impression of the strip.
Jough, in his endless benevolence made a place for us to play, and he and JL made sure we played nice. The community that formed is great and still enjoys Achewood, but feels a bit of a sting from being disowned by Onstad. Now that he's started the Asset Bar business, its like being replaced by a bastard sibling you didn't know you had and you think is kind of ugly. But acrimony is not a good reason to make fun of the Asset Bar
2. Liking quality. The Asset Bar discourages quality discussion. Each topic is only the strip, and only ever one strip, so it's hard to get a sense of history or the interconnectedness of various topics you get in quality human interaction. It uses terms like 'chubby' and 'lame' as part of its official terminology. This is juvenile and brainless and worst of all has nothing to do with Achewood. (There's also the fact that women -- whom I've heard are half of the population -- cannot get chubbies and so the metaphor doesn't even work very well, but that's nit picking.) Rating a quality observation about a strip with 'chubbies' is like throwing peanuts at an opera singer (or roses at an elephant). You can have a nice conversation on the Asset Bar; I'm sure you do. But it's as if the thing doesn't want you to.
3. Disliking unquality. The horrible nested layout. The animated booby avatars. The people whose posts are only phrases from their favorite strips. The people who pretend to post as Ray. The very obvious "That's so freaky!!" comments. The all caps and all exclamation points. The "me too"s. There's a great deal of what's wrong with the internet encapsulated in each day's comments.
4. The identification and vilification of external enemies. This is another bad reason. Part of what groups talk about when they don't have anything else to talk about is how much they hate something that they all hate. It's fun.
So there you go. Two good reasons and two bad reasons we make fun of Asset Bar. Plus. AssBar. It's so obvious. You and anyone else who hangs out there is SO MORE THAN WELCOME to hang out here. You're encouraged to be whatever you want to be here as long as it's honest, interesting, or amusing. We like smart things, but we don't turn our noses up at low-brow things if they're actually funny. We love Achewood, and buy tons of merchandise, but we don't always love Onstad. We hate the Asset Bar and much of its content, but not its users. Except for that boobies guy. Oops, there are two. Both of them. And the guy who pretends he's Ray. Anyway, I'm sure they're nice in person.
And you? You totally rock. Welcome.
This essay by Clay Shirky (http://www.shirky.com/writings/broadcast_and_community.html) is where I'm getting a lot of this audience/community business. Here's another one (http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html) about how a group thwarts itself.
Edit: formatting
-
stuff
As usual, my diplomatic better half says it way better than I could ever have.
Hope you stick around, Lenoxus. You seem like Good People.
-
Hope you stick around, Lenoxus. You seem like Good People.
There's the den mother we all know and love.
I didn't even realize you were posting. That's what I get for leaving a reply window open, checking my sources, and writing a danged essay.
edit - xxxxx
edit - removed explanation of prior edit
-
There's the den mother we all know and love.
I had two tired, fussy kids. They both fell asleep. I'm much less irritable now.
-
Something lucid and cogent.
Me too! That's so freaky!
-
Here's another one[/url] about how a group thwarts itself.
Thanks, that was interesting.
-
I would just like to point out how nice it is here, that when someone came to this board and asked for advice on how to go to another board, the closest thing we have to a sworn enemy, and read it in a way that was more pleasing to him, one of our denizens offered him a possible solution. If someone went to Assetbar and said, "Look, guys, I know this isn't the best place to ask this, but I'm getting server errors going to the TOUAMB board. Is anyone else getting that?," I doubt it would be so civil.
Almost makes me want to try. Almost.
-
To sum up: in a nut shell, we call it AssBar for the same reason the children from their dad's first marriage call the step-brother their dad had with his new wife an asshole. It's because he loved us first, and now we're not cute. It's because he used to take us on the weekends, now he doesn't even call or pay child-support. Sure he was a dick and he made mom cry all the time, but he's our dad.
-
Here's another one (http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html) about how a group thwarts itself.
Excellent, thought provoking article.
-
Excellent, thought provoking article.
Yes, sorry - I posted my last message before reading that article. Makes me wonder about us... I see we've gone through many of the stages of death throes, but that we've also done a lot of what he prescribes as the best path to prevent collapse too. Have we gotten "religious" about certain things yet? I can't tell. Some of the regulars (myself included) have been "religious" about certain takes on stuff, but there never tends to be a total group agreement, which is healthier, keeps us from getting all Big Brother on each other.
I had a friend once who was obsessed with vampires. He got really upset when I told him I would never want to live forever. There is only so much of life or any aspect of it that I desire to take in. Nothing should last forever, nor should we work to make it so in my opinion. I am glad TOUAMB is here, but eternal life or eternal TOUAMB are not something I hope for.
-
Yes, sorry - I posted my last message before reading that article.
Your last message is just as true as that article, in this case.
But I thought it was interesting what it said about there always being a core group that cares more than average about the community being successful, and that that sometimes trumps the rights of the individual. It is interesting that that is true in the cases I am familiar with, and it's interesting how interesting it seems when in a way it's obvious. I mean, any society, no matter how individualistic, comes down to that at some point, I guess. The internet is not different from real life.
-
Wow! so many replies! I ought to say something, I ought. In fact, I will say many things!
3. Disliking unquality… The very obvious "That's so freaky!!" comments.
God, yes — I can't imagine what would motivate someone to sign up for a forum just to say something that basically can be said of the strip as a whole. And yet, apparently, people do.
This essay by Clay Shirky (http://www.shirky.com/writings/broadcast_and_community.html) is where I'm getting a lot of this audience/community business. Here's another one (http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html) about how a group thwarts itself.
Ooh, fascinating! I can't really claim to understand the first one except that I like the word "loam," despite — no, perhaps because of — its unrevealed derivation. But to the second one, I'm all nodding and the like.
I had two tired, fussy kids. They both fell asleep. I'm much less irritable now.
What do you mean by "had"…? :-\
(statements of courtesy and good will)
Aw shucks! Now I wonder: was "shucks" ever a euphemism? If it were I would take that back. Thanks anyway!
I am glad TOUAMB is here, but eternal life or eternal TOUAMB are not something I hope for.
I for one would never desire that a virtual community to rise after death and scour the Earth for the blood of the living. Those things always turn out to have unforeseen consequences.
Oh, and more more stupid question: Does the "automated voice" Pedro Picasso quoted mean anything?
-
Oh, and more more stupid question: Does the "automated voice" Pedro Picasso quoted mean anything?
Very little Pedro says means anything at all. ;)
I for one would never desire that a virtual community to rise after death and scour the Earth for the blood of the living. Those things always turn out to have unforeseen consequences.
Oh, I like this one. Can we keep him?
-
I hypothesize that the fix you're contemplating would change it to "AssBar," a term of derision I've only recently encountered and scratched my head over. If you'll indulge the curiosity of a newperson like me, why this generalized hate?
In contrast to all the high-falutin' learnin' posted above I just thought it'd be a giggle, a lot of things are filtere here without rhyme or reason. I've never even read the AssetBar, for the same reason I don't read the comments on youtube. I go to achewood.com to read awesome comics I come here to read awesome comments, as Pedro said the 'Bar is practically set up to discourage community and ongoing interaction and I'm a picky little nancy boy about who speak to on the internet.
I for one would never desire that a virtual community to rise after death and scour the Earth for the blood of the living. Those things always turn out to have unforeseen consequences.
JL just beat me too it, but this is a good-un. We should keep this'un.
-
I am too new here than to know the full underlying story behind the Onstad/old-school-TOUAMB schism...
However, the Assbar is the Assbar because the level of discourse on the Assbar is basically lower than a piece of dirt stuck under a snake's nards and is generally such-as cavemen smudging their feces on a wall to make note of the fact that they were in the cave.
Complicated communication (let alone... gasp... off-topic communication) is basically impossible there.
The options there seem to be either (a.) saying that you liked a thing (b.) flaming to stir up trouble or (c.) suggesting new merchandising possibilities to the management.
And... while I like the hell out of Achewood... I am inclined to choose a different part.
-
D'oh — I just realized that "I for one… to rise after death" was overworked enough that a gramma error slipped in — either 'that' should be 'for', or 'to' should be removed. Whoops.
I've never even read the AssetBar, for the same reason I don't read the comments on youtube. I go to achewood.com to read awesome comics I come here to read awesome comments, as Pedro said the 'Bar is practically set up to discourage community and ongoing interaction and I'm a picky little nancy boy about who speak to on the internet.
I wish I had that ability, but nooo, every time I see someone post something on the net that I disagree with, I have be all taking the time out of my day to respond. Grrr… :)
The options there seem to be either (a.) saying that you liked a thing (b.) flaming to stir up trouble or (c.) suggesting new merchandising possibilities to the management.
Hmm, that last one could be intriguing… unless you just mean variations on "thus and such should be on a baseball cap!" But, like, genuinely never-before-seen forms of merchandise, I'd be up for discussing… maybe someone should start a thread on that here…
-
I wish I had that ability, but nooo, every time I see someone post something on the net that I disagree with, I have be all taking the time out of my day to respond. Grrr…
Gee, guys, do you think he'll fit in?
You don't happen to be an ultra-liberal economics major, do you? Because if you are, we should just give you and a-cap your own forum right now.
Hmm, that last one could be intriguing… unless you just mean variations on "thus and such should be on a baseball cap!" But, like, genuinely never-before-seen forms of merchandise, I'd be up for discussing… maybe someone should start a thread on that here…
No point. Onstad doesn't read this board. Or does he? He did for a while, and claimed not to. Then he started posting occasionally, mostly customer-service stuff. And then he went away again. But we never know how gone he is. It's...complicated. Like, he went for a pack of cigarettes, and it's been two years, but do you think he might still come back some day?
-
Unless, of course, Lexonus is actually Onstad.
Dun-Dun-DUNNNNNNN!
-
Have we gotten "religious" about certain things yet? I can't tell.
I think that one could safely say that we are religious about not being dicks.
Lenoxus, don't know if you're aware, but your avatar is frikkin' huge. Just lettin' you know.
-
I generally assume all new posters are Onstad.
Lenoxus, don't know if you're aware, but your avatar is frikkin' huge. Just lettin' you know.
Hehe yeah, I don't think I've ever had to scroll across a frame to see an avatar before.
-
His super power is enormous avatars. My super power is having an enormous Piano
-
His super power is enormous avatars. My super power is having an enormous Piano
Weakness: Stairs!
-
Weakness: Stairs!
Also : chaffing.
On a sort of side note: Onstad joined my evil story coven.
Welcome Lenoxus, if TOUAMB rose from the dead it would have an insatiable but discerning hunger for the blood of only the most witty and/or eccentric weirdos, so I don't know about you, but I'll be taking cover.
I was at a conference for artists who work with youth yesterday, and there was this awesome kid who came with his teacher to speak to us about how he and his other classmates learn with their shared disability (Fetal alcohol Spectrum Disorder) in a specialized classroom. He was just amazingly cute, 8 or 9, and just sort of... great. Anyway, after his teacher mentioned he also has ADHD, he says "with a capitol H!" and we all laugh. He asks if any of us have a disability, and the whole room says "yes," in unison and he was totally shocked and delighted. I don't think he'd ever been in a room full of adults who all readily and happily admitted to having disabilities, and it made him really happy. Basically, he's learning that self confessed weirdos recognize their own kind on instinct. Welcome Lenoxus, welcome.
-
Welcome Lenoxus, if TOUAMB rose from the dead it would have an insatiable but discerning hunger for the blood of only the most witty and/or eccentric weirdos, so I don't know about you, but I'll be taking cover.
I just figured it would have an unquenchable thirst for tiny cans of Dr. Pepper.
-
Oh noes, you've all deducted my four most closely guarded secrets — that I am Chris Onstad, my superpower is a large picture of a rat, my weakness is staircases with which I disagree about chaffing, and occasionally, I say "oh noes."
Well, actually, one of those is half-false. Can you guess which and how?
You don't happen to be an ultra-liberal economics major, do you? Because if you are, we should just give you and a-cap your own forum right now.
Why are ultra-liberal economics majors particularly susceptible to heated discussion with people they wouldn't normally care to debate? (Answer: three of them, one to screw in the bulb, the other two to I don't know how I was going to end this.) The answer to your question is, I'm a little liberal (by the US definition, which is maybe the opposite of arachno-capitalist's, I can't tell), but not a major or minor anything; I don't go to college, I'm educated on LIFE.
No point. Onstad doesn't read this board.
Oh, I didn't mean like actually-viable merchandise. I mean, like, "I want to buy an aura in a box!" Like that, only better.
(great story about disabilities)
Supposedly, I have ADD with a microscopic H and that's why I take Concerta. I don't really feel right talking about my barely-disability in the same context as an FAS sufferer, but hey, we're all a little weird one way or another… :)
Well, good night, everyone. I'd stay up longer and type more letters but my stupid dsl is being intermittent (which is also why i've been slow to change my icon and reply here). Pleasant dreams!
-
Hey, we got a new kid in town. He looks like good people. And I think we stole him away from assbar.
Oh yeah, it's assbar because when it first appeared I actually thought it was assbar and said so here. It's been assbar ever since. I have that power.
-
I have given Lenoxus my first can. Why? Because he earned it, whereas I already have 3 and I don't know how I earned them.
-
On a sort of side note: Onstad joined my evil story coven.
What!?!
-
I know. What? I can't say much more than that right now.
-
I know. What? I can't say much more than that right now.
Why do you tease us so woman?
-
Why do you tease us so woman?
I know. What? I can't say much more than that right now.
I thought we had established this. Sideshow is evil
-
evil smells is eeeeeviiiilllll
-
Welcome, welcome.
I'll chime in here and say I normally can't stand internet fora, and this is a very good one.
I'm reminded of a joke, the origins of which I've forgotten: "As a fun challenge, try to post a comment on youtube so stupid people realize you're being sarcastic. Hint: this is not possible." That's how I feel about assbar. The signal to noise ratio approaches zero asymptotically.
I think that hyper liberal economics major line was aimed this way, and guilty as charged except the economics major bit. Though I'd prefer "radical leftist" to "hyper liberal." I'd rather keep my distance from Bill Clinton, thanks.
-
I think that hyper liberal economics major line was aimed this way, and guilty as charged except the economics major bit. Though I'd prefer "radical leftist" to "hyper liberal." I'd rather keep my distance from Bill Clinton, thanks.
Actually, it was pointed at acap. He needs an evil twin.
I'm reminded of a joke, the origins of which I've forgotten: "As a fun challenge, try to post a comment on youtube so stupid people realize you're being sarcastic. Hint: this is not possible."
Pedro and I were watching youtube the other day, and he said, "This is not funny. Show me something funny." I said, "What do you want to see?" He replied, "I don't know. Just type "Funny" into the search bar."
I tried to dissuade him. Told him it would not, could not end well. He insisted.
Top hit: Very Funny Cats Part 14.
Part 14!
-
Top hit: Very Funny Cats Part 14.
Part 14!
I'm picturing an alternate world Adult Bookstore where nice old ladies shuffle around and not make eye contact. There are doilies under each of the DVD cases.
Very Funny Cats Part 14 is one of those DVDs. The box proclaims 2 hours of non-stop frantic pussy action.
-
I'm picturing an alternate world Adult Bookstore where nice old ladies shuffle around and not make eye contact. There are doilies under each of the DVD cases.
Very Funny Cats Part 14 is one of those DVDs. The box proclaims 2 hours of non-stop frantic pussy action.
Audibly did I laugh at this joke pertaining to cats.