The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 01:58:27 pm

Title: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 01:58:27 pm
Two Truths and a Lie (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3456.0.html), with a twist: everything has to have happened (or not happened) before you were twelve years old. 

I'll start. 

1) My favorite movie growing up was Grease. 

2) I was the only girl at summer camp to swallow a live goldgiraffe -- and I swallowed five, just to show up the boys. 

3) My greatest ambition before the age of ten was to be an writer/illustrator of children's books. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2008, 03:43:33 pm
I've... blocked out most of what happened to me before the ninth grade or so. Seriously. I really have to struggle and strain to remember my childhood in anything other than the broadest strokes. I was very bad at being a child because I was obsessed with proving as smart as the grown-ups and so anything "kid-like" I did, I... got all wrong.

Like the bit in "Crumb" about how he tried acting like the cool kids to get friends and just messed it up, came off like a jerk, and had even less friends from the trying?

Yeah. I was bad at being a kid.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 04:02:54 pm
Well, you're no help. 

Look, I'm just trying to do a thing here.  The board's been dead lately.  At least stick around and make some guesses.  Or start a TT&aL thread with a theme that works better for you.  Or something else entirely. 

Something, dude. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Drygioni on May 21, 2008, 04:17:39 pm
Judy to the rescue. Weahy.

LFM, you will always astound me with your ability to turn any topic at all into some kind of pseudo-Roast Beef mope.

Two Truths and a Lie (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3456.0.html), with a twist: everything has to have happened (or not happened) before you were twelve years old. 

I'll start. 

1) My favorite movie growing up was Grease. 

2) I was the only girl at summer camp to swallow a live goldgiraffe -- and I swallowed five, just to show up the boys. 

3) My greatest ambition before the age of ten was to be an writer/illustrator of children's books. 

I call you out on... The goldgiraffe story, but it was a doozy.


Here's mine, all nose related:

1) Up until the age of 4, I would refer to people I hated by giving them the surname of 'Nose'. Peter Nose, Frotsit Nose etc.
2) I broke a girl's nose.
3) I deliberately broke my own nose. (Photos may provide a clue)
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 04:28:41 pm
Judy to the rescue. Weahy.

I call you out on... The goldgiraffe story, but it was a doozy.

Here's mine, all nose related:

1) Up until the age of 4, I would refer to people I hated by giving them the surname of 'Nose'. Peter Nose, Frotsit Nose etc.
2) I broke a girl's nose.
3) I deliberately broke my own nose. (Photos may provide a clue)

Woo!  A playmate! 

Nice theme.  I think that 2 is the lie, because you are a Gentleman. 

You're wrong about the giraffe.  It was a contest, and I won.  Second place only ate three, and he threw up afterwards. 

>1 I didn't understand why kicking it before football practice with some good sci-fi novels made me the nerd of the team.

>2 I became known as the 'strap-snapper' with all the girls because any strap, exposed or not, required a brisk snapping.

>3 I had a nice talk with the police while demonstrating to them my toy rifle was, indeed, a toy.

And JL, I call lie on Grease. I may buy the giraffe and that cuts out Grease in my book.

Ash, you win.  My favorite movie growing up was Beetlejuice.  And I call foul on #3, because it's too believable to be true. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 04:32:04 pm
Three more, never-have-I-ever stylezz:

1) I never had a babysitter I wasn't related to. 

2) I never climbed a tree. 

3) I never failed a test. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 04:42:13 pm
The dame is all girl be she ain't the prissy sort for the win, Alex!

I ain't going to answer yet to get others a shot which oughtta tell you something about your guess, ma'am. Apparently you will bite on red as well as gold giraffe.

[never stylze guess = #3, everyone has that one small moment of rebellious 'fuck you, test!]

Ash - Always - Stylze

1> I always had a book on me

2> I always had my glasses on me

3> I always stole my brothers food

Good try this round, Ash, but no cigar.  How's the herring taste to you? 

I'm guessing 2 is the lie, because I think I remember you not wearing glasses when you posted a pic seventeen years ago. 

Note to the rest of you: you can just go home, Ash and I will just have our own message board without you. 

(Judy can stay.  You're legal now, right?  Yes, you can stay.) 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jaydub on May 21, 2008, 05:38:12 pm

1) I never had a babysitter I wasn't related to. 
This is my guess for the lie

2) I never climbed a tree. 

I can't believe JL would be such an anti-tom as never to have climbed a tree

3) I never failed a test. 

Ash already blew this one.

(Tries to think of stuff not covered in the original thread)
1. I didn't visit Disneyland until I was 8
2. I first learned to ski when I was 13
3. I topped 100 pounds in weight when I was 10 years old.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 05:59:42 pm
I can't believe JL would be such an anti-tom as never to have climbed a tree

Bzzt!  No, I was much to geeky to be spending much time outdoors.  Besides which, I grew up in a midwestern suburb.  We had two trees in our yard, and they were both far to spindly for climbing.  I've managed to live my whole life up to this point without ever having climbed a single tree. 

I routinely failed math tests throughout grade school.  It was the only subject I didn't ace every time. 

As for the babysitter, I had a brother ten years my senior, and he babysat most of the time.  When I was really little I stayed with my grandma or my aunt, and once I stayed with my cousin right after my brother went away to college.  But by the time he left, I was a mature and responsible eight year old and could be either left alone for short spans of time or occupy myself with a book at my parents' friends' house. 

(Tries to think of stuff not covered in the original thread)
1. I didn't visit Disneyland until I was 8
2. I first learned to ski when I was 13
3. I topped 100 pounds in weight when I was 10 years old.

I think 1 is true because JD spent a good portion of his childhood outside the US.  Same with #2 -- although maybe there were some places to ski in the mountains in NZ?  By process of elimination, I'm putting my money on #3. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: wombat on May 21, 2008, 06:17:37 pm
OK, I basically remember nothing about my childhood, but damn, I can make stuff up with the best of them, so I'll try it.

1. The first album I ever bought was The Partridge Family.

2. I had two pet newts I kept in a giraffebowl.

3. Squid was one of my favorite foods.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2008, 06:46:53 pm
1. I was the first kid in my class to be able to read. Ditto with tie my shoes, ride a bike, etc. I was really big on Milestone Achievements

2. At one point in 5th grade the popular girls in the school decided they would torment me by acting like they had big crushes on me, asking me to talk about nerdy things, chasing me around the playground, etc. It got to the point where I would hide in the bathroom if I saw them coming.

3. My fourth grade teacher used to make me sit out of recess almost every day for talking in class, and my mom had to have a meeting with her after she yelled at me until I cried (I do not remember this, but some other kid in class was so upset by this that he told his mom) At the meeting she told my mom that I wasn't very smart.

Wow, the memories I'm coming up with are really weird.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 06:48:58 pm
OK, I basically remember nothing about my childhood, but damn, I can make stuff up with the best of them, so I'll try it.

1. The first album I ever bought was The Partridge Family.

2. I had two pet newts I kept in a giraffebowl.

3. Squid was one of my favorite foods.

2 is too prescient not to be true.  And wombat has a pretty adventurous palate, so I'm guessing 3 is true too.  I say 1 is the lie, and she's hoping that we with little recollection of the Partridge Family will associate their music with "stuff old people liked when they were young" and be fooled. 

But I am not fooled.  IIRC, Wombat is just a few years older than my brother, and he was way too young to dig on the Partridge Family in any meaningful, album-buying way. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 06:57:35 pm
I forgot to add three more:

1) My best friend's mom, my next-door neighbor, and my first grade teacher were all the same person. 

2) I was nearly held back in first grade due to a complex series of misunderstandings with the teacher. 

3) I took cut-rate piano lessons from the school music teacher for a brief period, but my mother declared him a "creepy old man" and discontinued the lessons after just a few weeks. 

Boy, some of these not even Pedro would know except by process of elimination. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2008, 07:01:46 pm
I think 3 is the lie, because the other two just FEEL real to me.

and wombat: 3 is the lie for you, also. You came to eat squid late in life.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jaydub on May 21, 2008, 07:13:52 pm
1. I didn't visit Disneyland until I was 8

Truth.  I got to visit again when I was 11, then when I was 24.

Quote from: jaydub
2. I first learned to ski when I was 13


Truth again, for the reasons JL brought up.  I took to it pretty well considering and most folks think I've been doing it since I learned to walk.
Quote from: jaydub
3. I topped 100 pounds in weight when I was 10 years old.

Yeah, I was barely 100 pounds when I was 14.  Aside from a generally short stature, I wasn't all that into eating.  I'd happily read the day away and go to bed without a single meal.  Once I started playing competetive sports I had to make up for this, but it was a chore to eat as much as most of my peers did.  I don't remember the exact day I hit 100, but I remember the feeling of accomplishment. We had a scale that had a little metal disc with the weight numbers that spun back and forth until it eventually settled at the reading.  I can still visualize the moment.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2008, 07:14:37 pm
I forgot to add three more:

1) My best friend's mom, my next-door neighbor, and my first grade teacher were all the same person. 

2) I was nearly held back in first grade due to a complex series of misunderstandings with the teacher. 

3) I took cut-rate piano lessons from the school music teacher for a brief period, but my mother declared him a "creepy old man" and discontinued the lessons after just a few weeks. 

Boy, some of these not even Pedro would know except by process of elimination. 

1) sounds like my life. My first elementary school principal was my godfather. My 1st grade teacher was my best friend's mom. My 4th grade teacher was my mom's best friend and we went to Vegas with her and her husband for my 21st birthday.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 07:17:18 pm
1. I was the first kid in my class to be able to read. Ditto with tie my shoes, ride a bike, etc. I was really big on Milestone Achievements

2. At one point in 5th grade the popular girls in the school decided they would torment me by acting like they had big crushes on me, asking me to talk about nerdy things, chasing me around the playground, etc. It got to the point where I would hide in the bathroom if I saw them coming.

3. My fourth grade teacher used to make me sit out of recess almost every day for talking in class, and my mom had to have a meeting with her after she yelled at me until I cried (I do not remember this, but some other kid in class was so upset by this that he told his mom) At the meeting she told my mom that I wasn't very smart.

Wow, the memories I'm coming up with are really weird.

2 is the lie.  Either inev is really cleverly playing off what we know about his current love life to deliberately mislead us, or...

Damn, that would explain some things. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: wombat on May 21, 2008, 07:27:48 pm
and wombat: 3 is the lie for you, also. You came to eat squid late in life.

BZZZZZ.

Nope. My family is Italian, and I ate calamari from a young age.

JL is right, but her reasoning is wrong. The first album I bought was actually Bobby Sherman, which is equally "stuff old people liked when they were young," but possibly even more embarassing than the lie.

And I didn't visit Disneyland till I was around 40, I think.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 07:31:12 pm
Yeah, I was barely 100 pounds when I was 14.  Aside from a generally short stature, I wasn't all that into eating.  I'd happily read the day away and go to bed without a single meal.  Once I started playing competetive sports I had to make up for this, but it was a chore to eat as much as most of my peers did.  I don't remember the exact day I hit 100, but I remember the feeling of accomplishment. We had a scale that had a little metal disc with the weight numbers that spun back and forth until it eventually settled at the reading.  I can still visualize the moment.

I think I weighed about 100 lbs when I met Pedro.  And I was about 5'5 by then.  I was a rail. 

My dad has this great story about drinking about six gallons of water in order to make the football team his freshman year of high school.  Apparently they wouldn't give you a uniform unless you weighed at least 100 lbs.  Four years later, as a senior, he wrestled at 102. 

I think 3 is the lie, because the other two just FEEL real to me.

Hm, nope.  3 is true.  2 is the false one, but only because I was nearly held back in Kindergarten.  I would not have been so sneaky, but I think I've talked about this before. 

Edit: Here's the story (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4221.msg112905.html#msg112905). 

Double Edit: That thread also reveals that #1 is inev's lie. 

Wow, that *does* explain some things. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2008, 08:13:21 pm
yeah.

I was really really slow to learn all of those things.
That thing with those girls did happen, but it was in a context where... even in 5th grade, I was girl-smart enough to know that they were mocking me or something. Also, even then, I was not really attracted to the "popular" girls. I had a lot of little-kid crushes, though, as you would imagine.
the last one, yeah, that one is true. That lady was not very nice.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2008, 08:30:01 pm
I bet everyone's glad like me that you were the topic started today, JL. This is so much better than those 'Ash picks a fight' days.

Says you!
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 08:58:30 pm
Okay. 

1) I have never seen my mom's boobs.  She's extremely modest. 

2) My best friend was overweight, and we were bullied by some boys who called us "fatty and flatty." 

3) After seeing my dad's younger sister breastfeed my cousin, I started walking around pretending to nurse my baby dolls. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 21, 2008, 09:02:25 pm
1 I watched Lady and the Tramp over 500 times

2 The first album I owned was Garth Brooks- Rodeo

3 Even though my first b was in 7th grade and I got a 100 percent on every spelling test, I was held inside during recesses because my 3rd grade teacher thought my writing was too bad.  Now it is pretty good.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Drygioni on May 21, 2008, 11:10:41 pm
Judy, the nose theme is genius, but I doubt you broke your own.

I'm ashamed to admit that this was infact true. I was upset about having to get out the sandpit, so instead of kicking off in a strop I very slowly and deliberately informed everyone that I would walk into a wall if I wasn't allowed to play with the sand.

Unfortunately, I was dismissed as attention seeking, so I decided to really show them. I walked at a normal, leisurely pace into the wall, and until then I hadn't really noticed how hard walls were. And I have a naturally big nose, so ouch, lots of blood etc, and now my nose is even bigger.

JL, you were correct in that I have never broken a girl's nose, and I am pleased to inform everyone that I have never broken a girl's ANYTHING. Now stop sniggering at the back there.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2008, 11:18:56 pm
1 I watched Lady and the Tramp over 500 times

2 The first album I owned was Garth Brooks- Rodeo

3 Even though my first b was in 7th grade and I got a 100 percent on every spelling test, I was held inside during recesses because my 3rd grade teacher thought my writing was too bad.  Now it is pretty good.

I think 2 is the lie.  It's too mundane to be true.  And the thread I linked to before also supports #3. 

Plus, I like the idea of a Lady-and-Tramp-obsessed mini-Keith running around.  So I hope that's not the lie. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 22, 2008, 02:31:09 am
Hmmm. I still can't believe Judy broke his OWN nose, I'm thinking Ash would be the one with the cops even at an early age, and I have no problems believing the newts or the partridge family with Wombat but the squid thing could work, too, except for a kid of <12. But with that last name, I guess Christmas Eve would be tough without some Squid and maybe Eel, too.

So here's some pre-adolescent AD trivia or not for you:

1) I had a near-death out-of body experience while inhaling toluol (active ingredient in model glue)

2) I used to watch re-runs of petticoat junction because of the dumb brunette girl (never occurred to me that by that time, she was probably 60 years old...)

3) First album I bought with my own money was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 22, 2008, 02:49:08 am
1.  The first album I ever bought was "ELO's Greatest Hits."
2.  I fell off the roof of the front porch of our house when I was about 10, but sustained no major injuries.
3.  One morning about that same time my brother and I were puzzled to find "DOG" written on the dog in magic marker.  We suspected our father had been drinking.

Bonus true item:  I came in second in the school district spelling bee in 5th grade.  Seven years later, the first boobs I ever saw live and in person belonged to the girl who won said spelling bee.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Choop on May 22, 2008, 06:43:25 am
Bonus true item:  I came in second in the school district spelling bee in 5th grade.  Seven years later, the first boobs I ever saw live and in person belonged to the girl who won said spelling bee.
folks ain't nerd love cute
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 22, 2008, 07:16:06 am
So wait, I forgot to lie.  I think I was supposed to put the first album i ever BOUGHT was Rodeo.  A friend (who is now in Wayne Coynes nephews band incidentally) gave it to me for like my 5th birthday.  I never listened to it.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 12:54:12 pm
Outstanding question roundup:

1) I have never seen my mom's boobs.  She's extremely modest. 

2) My best friend was overweight, and we were bullied by some boys who called us "fatty and flatty." 

3) After seeing my dad's younger sister breastfeed my cousin, I started walking around pretending to nurse my baby dolls. 

1) I had a near-death out-of body experience while inhaling toluol (active ingredient in model glue)

2) I used to watch re-runs of petticoat junction because of the dumb brunette girl (never occurred to me that by that time, she was probably 60 years old...)

3) First album I bought with my own money was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel

1.  The first album I ever bought was "ELO's Greatest Hits."
2.  I fell off the roof of the front porch of our house when I was about 10, but sustained no major injuries.
3.  One morning about that same time my brother and I were puzzled to find "DOG" written on the dog in magic marker.  We suspected our father had been drinking.

I've answered bunches of these, so I'm gonna let someone else have a go.  Just wanted to put them all out there since they're on different pages. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2008, 01:25:55 pm
For AD and Carlos I'm voting for the first album items, because they are easy lies to make up.

I have no idea for JL's, though.

Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: side_show on May 22, 2008, 01:37:26 pm
Hrm.

JL #3 - breastfeeding the dolls?  Probably something you did in private.

AD #1 - huffing glue?  Probably you did huff glue, but near death?  That's were I doubt you.

Carlos #2 - I'm going to guess you fell, but did break something.


For me:

1) I had an intense crush on Optimus Prime in Gr.1 and imagined he was my boyfriend. I would snuggle in bed at night and imagine his loving ***** arms holding me tight.
2) My kindergarten boyfriend and I were heavily engulfed in an imaginary world where we were super heroes and our archenemy was Hairy Canary.  This mostly involved holding hands while running in a circle (pretending to fly) until we got to dizzy and had to stop.
3) In grade four while making Ukrainian eggs I accidentally lit the craft supply table on fire, and just stood there, not knowing what to do and too embarrassed to ask for help until my teacher noticed the flames.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 02:58:04 pm
Quote
1) I had an intense crush on Optimus Prime in Gr.1 and imagined he was my boyfriend. I would snuggle in bed at night and imagine his loving ##### arms holding me tight.
2) My kindergarten boyfriend and I were heavily engulfed in an imaginary world where we were super heroes and our archenemy was Hairy Canary.  This mostly involved holding hands while running in a circle (pretending to fly) until we got to dizzy and had to stop.
3) In grade four while making Ukrainian eggs I accidentally lit the craft supply table on fire, and just stood there, not knowing what to do and too embarrassed to ask for help until my teacher noticed the flames.

#2 is the lie.

And, the breastfeeding the doll is obviously true, as I feel like my own sister did this. Or something similar.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 04:50:51 pm
Hrm.

JL #3 - breastfeeding the dolls?  Probably something you did in private.

AD #1 - huffing glue?  Probably you did huff glue, but near death?  That's were I doubt you.

Carlos #2 - I'm going to guess you fell, but did break something.


For me:

1) I had an intense crush on Optimus Prime in Gr.1 and imagined he was my boyfriend. I would snuggle in bed at night and imagine his loving ##### arms holding me tight.
2) My kindergarten boyfriend and I were heavily engulfed in an imaginary world where we were super heroes and our archenemy was Hairy Canary.  This mostly involved holding hands while running in a circle (pretending to fly) until we got to dizzy and had to stop.
3) In grade four while making Ukrainian eggs I accidentally lit the craft supply table on fire, and just stood there, not knowing what to do and too embarrassed to ask for help until my teacher noticed the flames.

My #3 is true.  As inev noted, apparently this is a kind of common thing.  The unusual thing that I did with it, however, was to realize that I did not have boobs, and instead crook my arm across my chest to simulate my aunt's ample bosom, and gently hold my doll's mouth up to my bent elbow (that being the closest thing an arm has to a nipple) with the other hand.  So now you have a 50/50 shot between #1 and #2. 

I think your #1 is false, smells.  It is the kind of thing I want desperately to be true, and I think you know this, and therefore made it up just for the delight of it.  All three are very believable, though. 

I got no idea about AD and carlos, though. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 04:56:38 pm
no no no! she has mentioned her crush on Optimus Prime before! Why else would I be saving up for a boxy metal suit?
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: side_show on May 22, 2008, 05:40:43 pm
Both of you are wrong.  It's number 3, and the only word that needs to be changed to make it a truth is "accidentally" which needs to be swapped for "intentionally" to make it true.  I was holding a Kleenex I was using to rub the excess wax off my finished egg, and I thought, hmmm I wonder what would happen if I light this on fire... immediately the table (covered in plastic bags), the piles of news papers (for laying out the eggs on) the egg cartons, and everything were on fire.  I stood there horrified at the consequences of my actions, but uncertain what to do.  My teacher was so apologetic to me after she put out the fire saying she knew she should have been helping me. 

I was deeply in love with Optimus Prime (and at other times Mighty penis, Danger penis and Thriller-era Michael Jackson).  I used to feign interest in playing with boys just so I could hold their toy versions of my ***** boyfriend, which was frustrating because I wasn't allowed to have an Optimus Prime because he was "for boys and too expensive.  You'll get tired of it."  Sigh.  I used to gaze out the windows as we drove down the highway at the Semi's wondering if one of them was Optimus, and he would transform and take me away.  Very odd.

My kindergarten boyfriend and I did constantly pretend we were super heroes (Wonder Girl and Superman) and that we were battling the evil Hairy Canary.  Hairy Canary was an evil genius we made up, and looked like (in my mind) an enormous hair covered bird. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 05:45:57 pm
Oh, man.  I thought the Optimus Prime crush was too good to be true.  I'm so glad it's not. 

We need some fresh meat here, people.  Who hasn't given one yet? 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2008, 05:50:42 pm
I accidentally put mine in the "Bedroom" thread but...

I just need to think up one more sexy-weird thing about me and then a sexy-weird lie.

"I'm helping, Bizarro, I'm helping, Bizarro!"
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2008, 05:54:14 pm
Well, Choop's just cracking wise about nerd love, Cap'n Squeakers has been around but hasn't contributed to the thread, Ruta Bagas and Toaster likewise.  Linnea's off being a grownup or something.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 06:00:01 pm
I accidentally put mine in the "Bedroom" thread but...

I just need to think up one more sexy-weird thing about me and then a sexy-weird lie.

"I'm helping, Bizarro, I'm helping, Bizarro!"

What Bedroom thread?  I have no idea what you're talking about. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 22, 2008, 06:12:14 pm
I'm terrible at games like this. But I did exist before I was twelve! (That's not the lie.)

I was terrified of Armorog (the big horned dog thing) in Fantasy World Dizzy and had to get somebody else to play that screen for me.

My Scout leader inadvertently knocked me out by dropping most of a tree on my head.

I urinated in the small plastic "medicine-bottle" that came with a doctor playset because I wanted it to have some "real medicine" in it.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2008, 06:23:03 pm
Okay. 

1) I have never seen my mom's boobs.  She's extremely modest. 

2) My best friend was overweight, and we were bullied by some boys who called us "fatty and flatty." 

3) After seeing my dad's younger sister breastfeed my cousin, I started walking around pretending to nurse my baby dolls. 

We know 3 is true, so I'll say 2 just because I don't remember you mentioning flatness before and I'm too lazy to check.

1) I didn't learn to swim until I was 11 although my mom tried getting me lessons earlier

2) Despite being in Cub Scouts for 2 years I've never been camping

3) I used to mark pages in Choose Your Own Adventure books to make sure I eventually got to read every page
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Choop on May 22, 2008, 06:57:22 pm
Call'd Out!

CJ: #2 feels like the lie. I'm not sure why.


first: I never played D&D
two: I was reading by the age of 3
c: I dug up my mother's flower bed
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2008, 07:25:04 pm
Call'd Out!

CJ: #2 feels like the lie. I'm not sure why.


#2 is true. Once we went to this big cabin dealie but they said we weren't allowed to take overnight trips until we were Weebelos or something. So we hiked a bit, made some delicious mountain pies, and made god's eyes and that was about it.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2008, 08:40:47 pm

I was terrified of Armorog (the big horned dog thing) in Fantasy World Dizzy and had to get somebody else to play that screen for me.
The lie


1) I fed dog crap to my younger brother when he was 5.

2) He exacted revenge by throwing a brick through a window that I was standing on the other side of.  Flying glass lacerated my nose, which caused the babysitter to call my parents back from their date night with a hysterical phone call.

3) I used to bring my friends into my brother's room and encourage them to sniff his bed, on account of bedwetting.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 22, 2008, 08:45:28 pm
3) I used to bring my friends into my brother's room and encourage them to sniff his bed, on account of bedwetting.

I think the whole bedwetting thing is a lie really.  Like, it is just in cartoons.


1.  I had a concussion.
2.  I broke my right arm.
3.  I broke my left arm.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 22, 2008, 08:56:58 pm
The lie

Fine work. It was the Dizzy Hawk. That thing LOOMS OUT OF THE SKY and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. What if they were real? God, that thing had me shitting myself. Speaking of which, I'm going to declare your number one a lie and not listen if you try to claim it's true because I just don't want it to be. You may picture me with my fingers in my ears going "LA LA LA", much like I did when the Dizzy Hawk appeared.

Also, nobody breaks their left arm.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 09:42:20 pm
We know 3 is true, so I'll say 2 just because I don't remember you mentioning flatness before and I'm too lazy to check.

1) I didn't learn to swim until I was 11 although my mom tried getting me lessons earlier

2) Despite being in Cub Scouts for 2 years I've never been camping

3) I used to mark pages in Choose Your Own Adventure books to make sure I eventually got to read every page

Nope, 2 is true.  1 is the lie, I see my mom's boobs all the time, even now.  When I was a kid I would sit on the closed toilet lid while she was taking a bath and we'd just chat.  Mom was a great example of how to be comfortable in your skin. 

If 2 is true, then 1 is the lie, because who didn't mark pages in CYOA books? 

Jaydub, I thought at first that #2 was a lie, because I didn't think a five year old could throw a brick with enough force to shatter a window.  But then I thought about five year olds I have known, and reconsidered this position.  So now I think 3 is the lie, because it seems like the kind of thing you would spare your friends, assuming you liked them. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2008, 10:02:32 pm
If 2 is true, then 1 is the lie, because who didn't mark pages in CYOA books? 

Correct. I never learned how to swim.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2008, 10:11:21 pm
Jaydub, I thought at first that #2 was a lie, because I didn't think a five year old could throw a brick with enough force to shatter a window.  But then I thought about five year olds I have known, and reconsidered this position.  So now I think 3 is the lie, because it seems like the kind of thing you would spare your friends, assuming you liked them. 
Should have gone with your first impression.  The lie is that I encouraged him to do so.  I wanted to see what it looks like.  A breaking window, that is, not a lacerated nose.

Sorry 'Bagas, but either you're the oldest, or you don't have brothers.  I paid dearly for it, but not at my brother's hands.  My mom probably what kind of demon had switched its spawn with her at birth.  His lower spine circuitry eventually figured itself out when he was about 10. When we were in our 20's I apologised for all the rotten stuff I did to him as kids.  He doesn't seem to hold it against me...

I bet JL is giving thanks that Hero wasn't a boy.  Also, bedwetting is hilarious to 10 year old boys.  As long as it isn't happening to them.  Even better if its your mate's twit little brother who you can then torment.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 22, 2008, 10:43:02 pm
Actually I'm the youngest of three. I guess my brothers just had more class than I gave them credit for.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ben-San on May 22, 2008, 10:47:55 pm
1: When I was young people mistook me for a girl.
2: I climbed to high places and leapt down on people shrieking "SPIDER ATTACK!"
3: For a while I played Hard Man's level of Mega Man 3 every morning before going to school
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 10:54:36 pm
yeah, my mom is only now realizing how well we all got along.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 22, 2008, 11:02:11 pm
Going way back, #2 is my lie.  I did hang out on that roof often--it was right out my bedroom window.  Never fell off of it though.  I figured that would be my emergency escape if the house was on fire, and I wondered if I could get down without hurting myself, but fortunately had the good sense not to try it.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Doc on May 22, 2008, 11:16:55 pm
3: For a while I played Hard Man's level of Mega Man 3 every morning before going to school
I'm going with this one, mainly because I desperately want the 'spider attack' one to be true.

Took me a while to come up with any but...
1: When I was five I used to use 'jumping Jerusalem' as a general purpose expletive without at all connecting it to all the bible stuff they kept telling us about.
2: I have never broken any bones but I did go through this period of falling off things where I managed to either concuss or badly wind myself at least three times over a period of a couple of months.
3: I attended 5 schools in 3 different cities by the time I was in grade 6.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 22, 2008, 11:38:26 pm
1: When I was young people mistook me for a girl.
2: I climbed to high places and leapt down on people shrieking "SPIDER ATTACK!"
3: For a while I played Hard Man's level of Mega Man 3 every morning before going to school


I don't have a guess, but #2 made me giggle audibly. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ben-San on May 22, 2008, 11:47:23 pm
I'm going with this one, mainly because I desperately want the 'spider attack' one to be true.


You have not guessed the lie.

Of Doc's list, I am guessing 3 is the lie although all are quite believable.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Doc on May 23, 2008, 12:11:04 am
Of Doc's list, I am guessing 3 is the lie although all are quite believable.

Ben-San is right, though only because I attended the same school twice over two different periods.
I'm going to go with the looking like a girl as your lie, as surely that could never happen to a two fisted detective (but mainly because I'm still rooting for the spider thing).
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ben-San on May 23, 2008, 12:40:53 am
No, the spider thing is the lie - I never did that, my sister did it to me.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Doc on May 23, 2008, 01:20:16 am
and suddenly the world is a little colder, the sun shines a little less bright on this sad, sad man.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 23, 2008, 01:35:15 am
No, the spider thing is the lie - I never did that, my sister did it to me.

Well, at least somebody did it.  That will have to suffice. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: wombat on May 23, 2008, 01:48:56 am
Do you think we could get Ben's sister to start posting here too?
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: pmcd9 on May 25, 2008, 10:43:55 pm
Also, nobody breaks their left arm.

Ahem! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2088914879/)
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2008, 10:54:34 pm
OMG, that kid is up to no good.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 25, 2008, 11:27:58 pm
OK, since hardly anyone's guessing at mine:

I did indeed inhale enough toluol to both notice my heart was not beating regularly AND have the conscious experience of floating to the ceiling turning over and seeing myself lying on the couch. I managed to roll off the couch. The problem was that the substance was the really thinned out model glue - we used to call it 'dope' - was spilled on and soaked into a pillow. I was laying there watching a movie when I realized the other stuff was happening. I didn't really 'smell' it per se, just inhaled enough to cause some problems...once I rolled off the couch and started breathing air instead of dope vapors I started to feel better.

I also bought Glass Houses with my own money in, I think, 1980.

The petticoat junction happened when I was much older (probably she was 75 or 80 by then)  :-)
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 26, 2008, 01:43:15 pm
Do we have any outstanding?  I didn't see any. 

I'll do three more, Personal Fashion Stylezz:

1) I don't wear makeup because Pedro doesn't like the way it smells. 

2) I have over 100 pairs of under#####, and all of them are sexy. 

3) I am secretly a real clothes hoss, and Pedro gets annoyed by how much money I spend on clothing. 



Bonus true item: I never wear shorts if I can help it.  I find them extremely uncomfortable and usually opt for skirts when it's really hot. 
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2008, 01:45:37 pm
1) I don't wear makeup because Pedro doesn't like the way it smells. 

2) I have over 100 pairs of under******, and all of them are sexy. 

3) I am secretly a real clothes hoss, and Pedro gets annoyed by how much money I spend on clothing. 

I've got to figure 3, though I guess 2 is more likely but I could believe all your underoos are sexy JL.
Also you may have got your non-existent threads confused again, but then maybe your grade school experience was different to mine.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: jay-ell on May 26, 2008, 03:01:27 pm
I've got to figure 3, though I guess 2 is more likely but I could believe all your underoos are sexy JL.
Also you may have got your non-existent threads confused again, but then maybe your grade school experience was different to mine.

2 is true, and dammit, despite the title of this thread, I forgot the stipulation I put on it.  (Bear with me people, it has been a long week.) 

So I will go ahead and say 3 is false, and in fact Pedro tries to convince me to spend more on clothes, because I rarely buy new things. 

Here's the next one.  Guess which of the following common childhood favorites wasn't on the list of foods I despised:

1) Pizza

2) Hot Dogs

3) Tacos
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2008, 04:51:01 pm
It's gotta be #2, cause you love the weiner.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 26, 2008, 05:07:33 pm
Well, the thing is... most underwear, it is not so much that the underwear is sexy, it is that the person wearing them is sexy/confident.

A sexy and confident lady can make A Sexy Thing outta granny panties on a good day. Worn in a non-sexy situation, a lot of frilly lingerie type stuff is just silly and weird.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: side_show on May 26, 2008, 09:43:03 pm
My only friends in grade six before I changed schools were (I only had two friends.  that is a truth):

1) a kid who picked his nose and ate it, and who's uncle murdered his aunt in the a field where we had track and field.
2) a kid who was the shortest kid in school and grew up to be on a terrible Dawson's Creek rip off.
3) a kid who's dad died from an asthma attack in front of a MacDonald's washroom and grew up to be an accountant.

Catholic guilt:

1) I once stole a lolly pop from a special class display to give to a boy I had a crush on, then the teacher gave us a huge lecture where she pressed the person who did it to admit it to the class, but when I didn't she took us all to confession because no one would admit to stealing it, where I also didn't admit to stealing it.
2) Having returned to school after a long illness I pee myself all over the floor in the middle of class in grade three, it spread everywhere really quickly because I was wearing and tiny plaid skirt.  The mean nun I had for a teacher made me clean it up myself while everyone else was at recess.
3) In kindergarten I methodically emptied all the powdered tempura paints into the sink one can at a time because I was fascinated by how they looked pale and almost colourless until water hit them.  I was kept behind and made to scrub the sink clean, but I didn't care - it was worth it.

The good times:

1) I got the starring role in school plays fairly often, which I loved.  Pretending to be Mary rocked.  it may have been a precursor of my life to come, but considering how unpopular I was, it was a mixed blessing due to jealousy.
2) In Gr.2, I came up with the idea to build this incredible, massive, roofed snowfort, and it was the only time I was popular.  During it's construction, several of the boys dubbed me "the snowqueen" and forced everyone to ask me permission to do anything because I was the Queen.
3) I somehow lucked in to getting a brilliant nun librarian - she never censored books she suggested, often connecting me with books that (when I look back now) were clearly the sort of things Catholic nuns probably shouldn't keep in their library, never mind recommend to students.

The bad times:

1) I became so lonely and friendless before I changed schools that I did a striptease for all the boys in my class at recess in hopes they would like me (they didn't).
2) I once hid in a bathroom for several hours at school, lighting matches and dropping them into the bowl to pass the time.  Some of the younger kids told their teacher, who told the principal that I was smoking in the bathroom (I wasn't).
3) I would tell everyone I had lost my voice just so I didn't have to participate in social interactions with other students in my class.  I got away with this until one of my teachers asked my mom about my frequent bouts of laryngitis right in front of me.  I didn't understand why neither of them were mad at me about this then (but now I do).

The ugly:

In the first 12 years of my life

1) I had a mullet
2) I had a black eye
3) I had a lazy eye
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 26, 2008, 10:47:36 pm
Grade school was such a surreal experience. I caught on to things pretty fast and was always an avid reader. I read enough books about the real world to understand the absurdity of what was going on around me. I would routinely raise my hand after 5 minutes of lecture and say "i already know this...soo... Im going to leave now". This was a great way to end up in principals office, who had the nature to understand what was going on and didnt mind me just skipping class to read outside his office. I had gamed the system to where, what i wanted to do was actually the only punishment they had available. After 5th grade there was stuff like detention and suspension, so I had to change my strategy to more of a direct challenge. "why are you teaching us this again? weve been reading the same chapters of american history since first grade, when are we going to learn what happens after world war ii?" kind of stuff. Some teachers reacted with extreme anger that I talk to them like i did (And i was a jerk about it, a smart ass), other teachers embraced me like the principal did, letting me do what i wanted, read what i wanted, chat with them.
When I tell people stories about me from grade school, or when my family tells stories about me from grade school, i really sound like an ass hole, but what the hell else was i supposed to do? I damn sure wasnt going to just sit there bored out of my mind.
In a way grade school was entertaining because of this early awareness of what was going on. I never had to worry about grades or following ridiculous rules, i just pretended they didnt apply to me and somehow everything worked out perfectly.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Ben-San on May 26, 2008, 11:06:53 pm
When I tell people stories about me from grade school, or when my family tells stories about me from grade school, i really sound like an ass hole, but what the hell else was i supposed to do? I damn sure wasnt going to just sit there bored out of my mind.
In a way grade school was entertaining because of this early awareness of what was going on. I never had to worry about grades or following ridiculous rules, i just pretended they didnt apply to me and somehow everything worked out perfectly.

Wow. Just.. I'm at a loss for which crack to make.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 26, 2008, 11:46:23 pm
I got good grades because my mom would make me feel REALLY guilty if I didn't.

That's all. I sort of had a sense that I wasn't learning anything too but... it made mom happy.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: side_show on May 27, 2008, 07:52:03 pm
Wow. Just.. I'm at a loss for which crack to make.

For me it was more a of a brief moment of anger, followed by a realization that I don't have time to go there.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 27, 2008, 08:08:21 pm
Whatever, grade school me and now me are pretty indifferent to how people feel about how i acted over a decade ago as a child. A child acting childish is kind of a tautological statement.
Title: Re: Grade School Confidential
Post by: iron_felix on June 04, 2008, 06:02:44 am
Hmm, both of my truths from the last time (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3456.47.html) we did this happened before I was twelve.  Now I wish I hadn't used them up already.  I'll see what else I can manage, though: