The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2008, 05:46:19 am

Title: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2008, 05:46:19 am
I'm gonna have to get back to you (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/)
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: Doc on October 02, 2008, 06:19:17 am
I thought this (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/30/palins-news/) one was better. I have to believe it's more a case of her being bad at thinking on her feet rather than being just ignorant since I can't believe anyone who aspires to higher office wouldn't keep abreast of the news day to day.

ALSO: A collection (http://www.slate.com/id/2201342/) of interview statements arranged as poetry.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 02, 2008, 01:25:17 pm
She reads newspapers.  ALL of them. (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/30/palins-news/)
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2008, 01:53:39 pm
I have to believe it's more a case of her being bad at thinking on her feet rather than being just ignorant

I wish you were right, but this isn't 'thinking'. She can't remember the name of a single newspaper that she reads? I mean, how many newspapers ARE there in Alaska?

And even if that was it - do we want someone one heartbeat away from the Presidency who can't think on her feet?

Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: Doc on October 02, 2008, 02:15:07 pm
I wish you were right, but this isn't 'thinking'. She can't remember the name of a single newspaper that she reads? I mean, how many newspapers ARE there in Alaska?
I was thinking about this and the best answer I came up with (where 'best' means answer most likely to make me giggle to myself and have my co-workers look at me strangely) is that the only newspaper she reads is named something like 'klan monthly' so she thought discretion was the better part of getting elected.

And even if that was it - do we want someone one heartbeat away from the Presidency who can't think on her feet?
This is another matter entirely, I was just saying she's not necessarily a complete mental defective who can't process simple information and give logical answers. She may only be that way under high pressure situations, so what's to worry about?
Damnit I told myself I was going to start staying out of other country's politics.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2008, 02:48:34 pm
I am scared about this debate.
Points I have heard made:
1. the format will allow really vague, short answers
2. anything less than falling on her face will be construed as a colossal triumph
3. it is on my campus and there are so many journalists here, it is nuts. Oh man, it is kind of cool, but it is frustrating how few people get to go.

I am going to be in the radio station for most of the duration, I am the director of our live news coverage.

(when they say "and now to our live news coverage!" I press the button to switch over. Then, later, I switch back. I asked if I could say I was the director, and they said yes.)
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2008, 03:07:29 pm
She may only be that way under high pressure situations, so what's to worry about?

Um. Yeah. Because president is such a, you know, low-stress job.

Oh god, can we just stop talking about this?
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2008, 05:42:02 pm
I saw John Oliver on campus. Weird.

I am waiting for the gag they were filming in front of me to be on the Daily Show tonight, so I can be like "ahhh oh my gosh i was right there!"
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: CortJstr on October 02, 2008, 05:45:08 pm
I saw John Oliver on campus. Weird.

I am waiting for the gag they were filming in front of me to be on the Daily Show tonight, so I can be like "ahhh oh my gosh i was right there!"

If you see him again try to have man-sex with him for me.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work!
Post by: Golfhaus on October 02, 2008, 10:27:53 pm
If you see him again try to have man-sex with him for me.

Eh.... If I'm going to have man-sex with a Daily Show correspondent, it's Rob Riggle. THAT'S a real man for you.

Kristen Schaal would be an Anonymous Hottie of mine if it weren't for the fact that I know her name.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 02, 2008, 10:39:58 pm
Find all the "sad because she actually said it" Palin you need here: http://www.interviewpalin.com/ (http://www.interviewpalin.com/)
She makes Bush look like a world class wordsmith.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2008, 11:02:38 pm
good lord, this campus is under siege. completely surrounded by cops, helicopters, streets blocked off... it is like a crazy circus.

my friend told the correspondants from Kenya TV that she spoke swahili, so she got to be interviewed saying that she likes Obama. awesome.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: CortJstr on October 02, 2008, 11:46:35 pm
Eh.... If I'm going to have man-sex with a Daily Show correspondent, it's Rob Riggle. THAT'S a real man for you.

Kristen Schaal would be an Anonymous Hottie of mine if it weren't for the fact that I know her name.

Riggle? Seriously? You and I are on two different wavelengths.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Golfhaus on October 03, 2008, 12:52:46 am
Riggle? Seriously? You and I are on two different wavelengths.

In the original draft, the joke was, "If I'm going to have man-sex with a Daily Show correspondent, it's going to be with Samantha Bee."

But I thought that might be crass. Also, I totally would.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: AugustWest on October 03, 2008, 02:39:30 am
good lord, this campus is under siege. completely surrounded by cops, helicopters, streets blocked off... it is like a crazy circus.

my friend told the correspondants from Kenya TV that she spoke swahili, so she got to be interviewed saying that she likes Obama. awesome.

Where specifically was the debate?  Mallinckrodt?
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2008, 03:23:31 am
haha, no, Mallinkrodt is basically shut down on the lower level. it was in the Athletic Complex.

I tried to go to the protest zone to see what was going on, but we couldn't figure out how to get there.
"How can we observe the protest zone?"
"there isn't any way, you just have to go in and protest with 'em."

as we walked away, another cop rode up on his bike and they laughed as he said "man, all these protesters... I love the smell of napalm in the morning, y'know what I mean?"
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: smick on October 03, 2008, 04:45:15 am
"How can we observe the protest zone?"
"there isn't any way, you just have to go in and protest with 'em."

"Just... get in the box."
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 03, 2008, 05:29:10 am
as we walked away, another cop rode up on his bike and they laughed as he said "man, all these protesters... I love the smell of napalm in the morning, y'know what I mean?"

Yikes!
What is it about certain jobs that the people who most want to do them are the people you really don't want doing them? Then again maybe he was just making a joke in poor taste, it certainly sounds like something I'd do.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 03, 2008, 05:39:00 am
Was anyone there calling her "Titty Nixon" or is that just my personal nickname for her?
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2008, 06:02:12 am
me and my roommate call her America's Mom.

We had a whole theme song and a plot set out for the pilot.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 03, 2008, 06:25:12 am
My favourite is still 'Caribou Barbie'. It's fun inventing accessories for her to come with.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: smick on October 03, 2008, 04:47:10 pm
Yikes!
What is it about certain jobs that the people who most want to do them are the people you really don't want doing them? Then again maybe he was just making a joke in poor taste, it certainly sounds like something I'd do.

Like the police union shirts from the DNC.  "We get up early to beat the crowds!" (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/17563487/detail.html)

(http://www.jwz.org/images/17563960.jpg)

I HAVE to believe that the police force isn't made up of men and women so twisted that they get up in the morning, hoping they get to tase, mace, or club someone that day.  I need to believe that gallows humor is what they're using to make a very hard job O.K. for them.  I had a brief stint in fire school, so I hung out with a paramedic who would talk about gallows humor.  The example she used is "Man... I got new boots, and the first day out I got someone's brains all over them!  Why is it always brains on the new boots?!"
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 03, 2008, 05:28:04 pm
Sarah Palin debate flowchart:
http://weblog.sinteur.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/2909496470_d751e8a3dc.jpg
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2008, 05:59:24 pm
they must have been disappointed, it was the wimpiest protest imaginable.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 03, 2008, 08:14:24 pm
What if it turns out that all along what America really needed was a Supportive Mom in the Oval Office?  What if feel-good lines like "America's ingenuity and workforce is the best in the world!" actually does more for the national spirit than $600 stimulus checks and billions in bailout spending, and white Protestant males have been doing it wrong for 230 years?
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: CortJstr on October 03, 2008, 08:32:48 pm
What if it turns out that all along what America really needed was a Supportive Mom in the Oval Office?  What if feel-good lines like "America's ingenuity and workforce is the best in the world!" actually does more for the national spirit than $600 stimulus checks and billions in bailout spending, and white Protestant males have been doing it wrong for 230 years?


All passing mandatory mitten-pinning laws. All requiring jackets to be zipped up to your chin when the temperature drops below 50. All saying we're the handsomest country in the world. All writing "US #1" and "Beat the insurgents!" on the windows of her bullet-proof minivan.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: jaydub on October 03, 2008, 10:06:10 pm
"Man... I got new boots, and the first day out I got someone's brains all over them!  Why is it always brains on the new boots?!"
Huh.  I always thought brains were a pretty good leather conditioner.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2008, 10:22:51 pm
they totally are, man, that is the traditional manner.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 04, 2008, 03:48:12 am
I only worked with police for only half a year?

But... yes, most of them, yes, would love the opportunity to kick the shit out of people for opposing the standing order.

Probably 83% of them.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Golfhaus on October 08, 2008, 11:23:27 pm
I kinda feel bad for having not watched any of the debates. I'm pretty much counting on Jon Stewart and Keith Olbermann to show me the highlights, and at any rate I already know who I'm voting for, so I feel like it doesn't matter to me. But then I feel like it SHOULD matter to me.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2008, 02:30:13 am
I can't watch the debates because... I can't deal with people getting to lie and not being challenged because "journalism" isn't about finding the truth and telling said truth anymore... it's about letting all the sides say whatever crazy shit they want to and... you can't say a word about it because you don't wanna look partisan or piss off anyone's backers who are also advertisers or... whatever.

"Candidates Debate If Water is Wet; Journalists Agree It Was A Draw"

Fuck that.

I know which ones Mean Well and which ones are just plain Bastards and... to see such things treated as neutral makes me wanna fuckin' gack.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 09, 2008, 08:55:54 am
I agree with you completely.  I watched the first debate and the vp debate hoping mccain or palin would mess up real bad and we could just be done with this thing.  It didn't happen, so, I don't really care about seeing the answers to the questions.  I know whats going on with me and no debate could change that at all.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2008, 02:46:17 pm
man, but you miss out on the real-time appreciation of so many bizarre moments!

That one!
obama explaining "mccain says I'm going to increase spending, and that is a lie, and here is why" and mccain immediately saying "he's going to cut spending"
mccain wandering around in the background of the stage while obama answered questions
cringing and gasping as mccain gets increasingly closer to each voter who asks a question, including putting his hand on one man's shoulder
watching the audience members try incredibly hard to look like they're engaged
obama going off on a weird tangent about his dad when he should have nailed mccain
obama nailing mccain on the next debate
palin's syntax breaking down midway through a question about global warming
biden's little smile/half-laugh when palin said something he could pounce on her for...

it's just... the DRAMA, the PAGEANTRY! They don't make TV like this, not anymore!
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 09, 2008, 02:51:18 pm
ha
http://www.dailykos.com/comments/2008/10/8/04047/9979/51#c51
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2008, 05:08:07 am
So the McCain campaign has released a report (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=5990499) clearing Palin of any wrongdoing in the troopergate thingmejigger.

Well, I guess they should know?

Seriously, you guys are too much.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 10, 2008, 05:58:36 am
Next Up: The Gotti familiy has cleared John Gotti of any wrongdoing in racketeering charges.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2008, 03:35:10 pm
You know, I like John McCain and this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2300624038/) picture to the contrary my vote was still up for grabs.

That is until Sarah Palin came along.  No way am I voting for that.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 10, 2008, 05:57:43 pm
Big article on Sarah Palin's tie-ins to the Alaska Independence Party, which advocates secession from the US:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/10/10/palin_chryson/

Now, I don't necessarily believe McCain/Palin are going to allow Alaska to leave the United States, or that Palin necessarily shares the radical viewpoints of some members of AIP.  But, if they're going to start saying Obama pals around with terrorists because of his association with William Ayers, then hey, quid pro quo.  The lines connecting Palin and the radicals in AIP are a LOT shorter and clearer than those between Obama and the Weather Underground.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 11, 2008, 02:32:44 am
Actual ethics panel finds Sarah and First Dude guilty - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d76eb022-972f-11dd-8cc4-000077b07658.html (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d76eb022-972f-11dd-8cc4-000077b07658.html)
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 11, 2008, 03:10:01 am
You know, if it wasn't for so much of the public being fascinated with her for being Titty Nixon, I have to imagine that McCain would have been forced to drop her at this point.

She's really, like, genuinely crazy.

She's a fuckin' Phil Hendrie character, a suburbanite detached from reality, trying to abuse her power as the head of the local PTA or Home Owners Assoc. in a manner that far transcends the actual abilities of title.

She's fuckin' Bobbie Dooley, for fuck's sake.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Choop on October 11, 2008, 09:45:40 am
waitwait who's bobbie dooley and how'd he get some of that hot hot palin action

because rowr dontchakno

titty nixon is my new favorite nickname for her
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2008, 02:04:34 pm
Titty Nixon makes no damn sense.  Nixon was corrupt, but far from incompetent.  For sure he was no dummy.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 11, 2008, 02:38:23 pm
Titty Nixon makes no damn sense.  Nixon was corrupt, but far from incompetent.  For sure he was no dummy.
Thats right, LFM, Do not besmirch the honorable name of Nixon by comparing him to Palin.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Golfhaus on October 11, 2008, 02:59:30 pm
Thats right, LFM, Do not besmirch the honorable name of Nixon by comparing him to Palin.

I think the Nixon reference comes from the perception (which seems to be getting verified more each passing day) that with her, the ends always justify the means and that the executive privilege reaches a lot farther than most Americans are comfortable with. That and Palin has the potential to be as damaging to the nation as Nixon was, based on the likelihood that if elected, she would ascend to the presidency prior to the next election.

Titty Quayle just doesn't convey the threat she poses well enough.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2008, 03:17:17 pm
I think Titty George Bush is more apt.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 11, 2008, 03:20:23 pm
I think Titty George Bush is more apt.
Tits Bush ftw
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: jaydub on October 12, 2008, 02:23:28 am
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Psaltriparus_minimus_04528.JPG/240px-Psaltriparus_minimus_04528.JPG)
A Bushtit.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 12, 2008, 03:20:09 am
Yes, the Nixon appelation is far more about...

The manipulation and the abuse of power and the attitude of acquiring power as an unassailable end towards which any means can be used.

Oh, y'know, and also that Giant Chip on The Shoulder thing.

Original Nixon obsessed with proving that he was better than the rich kids and the popular kids and the intellects he met along the way.

And... Titty Nixon obsessed with disproving that with her good purse and her cheap shoes, she looks like a rube.

Original Nixon was, of course, a smarter and more... not forgivable but certainly an evil that can be more easily sympathized with.

But this psycho might be even more single minded... and as Futurama pointed out the idea of Nixon with charisma, even the plastic charisma of a failed beauty queen on the prowl for War Jesus, is ridiculously scary.

(Bobbie Dooley is a character on the Phil Hendrie radio show, who is the head of a homeowners association in a Ventura County gated community who abuses her very small amount of power in ridiculous ways, has a clueless lapdog husband who just repeats whatever she says and is obsessed with being "the cool parent in the neighborhood" to the point of encouraging drunken teenage orgies in her house because he fancies herself the mom that all her son's friends have crushes on, such is the depths of her depraved vanity. This character has existed for ten years or more and the resemblance is uncanny.)
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 14, 2008, 03:24:13 am
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/10/06/2008-10-06_new_details_on_larry_flynts_sarah_palin_-1.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/10/06/2008-10-06_new_details_on_larry_flynts_sarah_palin_-1.html)
The Sarah Palin porno is in the works. Get excited.
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: jaydub on October 14, 2008, 05:14:21 pm
I figured The Patriarchy wouldn't take this lying down...
Title: Re: Daaamn! That answer could use some work! [The Sarah Palin Thread]
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 19, 2008, 06:58:07 pm
Palin as Poet:
http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10469

Written by Jough's distant cousin (think Al Gore and Gore Vidal).