The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on January 12, 2009, 08:18:01 pm

Title: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 12, 2009, 08:18:01 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01122009

Alternate thread title: I have a farm and my son does not have a good wife. I laughed.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: CortJstr on January 12, 2009, 08:26:15 pm
But, but what is Teodor going to do for rent next month? He's sold all his grade-A stuff.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 12, 2009, 08:27:46 pm
More porn catering.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: lprkn on January 12, 2009, 08:31:50 pm
R. Beef - Yard Sale Consultant
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 12, 2009, 08:40:02 pm
I love the fact that the sale ran from 9-4, and yet all the money was made between six fifteen and 9 am.


Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2009, 08:53:52 pm
Beef is the yard sale MAN.  He will get top dollar for a box with a bundle of wire hangers + a jar full of assorted nuts and bolts.  He will sell your CD-ROMs from 1996.  A wall-hanging with a duck.  Boxes full of National Geographics.  THESE KNIVES!!!
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jaydub on January 12, 2009, 08:54:04 pm
I love the fact that the sale ran from 9-4, and yet all the money was made between six fifteen and 9 am.
That is definitely the case with most yard sales in my neighborhood.  I used to think people only put broken crap out - I just failed to realize the pros have picked the carcass clean while I'm hitting snooze.


p.s.  Any job that requires interviewing at 9am on a Saturday is one I do not want to have.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: weareas1 on January 12, 2009, 08:59:14 pm
I'll have to say that today's strip made me happy, even though it took him forever to post it ("over the weekend"??  "Strips and flows aplenty???"  Geez, now he's torturing us.) because, as far as I know, it's the first Achewood that ever mentioned Oingo Boingo.  This makes me happy because I was a member of Boingo during the peak of their career in the 80's.  However, I thought if anyone in Acheworld had some Boingo records, it would be Pat -- right between his Cure and Robert Fripp albums.  And of course Ray would tell him "It is silly to like Oingo Boingo, Pat."  And he would be right.  Nevertheless, it's still fun for me to see that band name come up in pop culture (especially in my favorite talking cat free entertainment), even if only as the punchline to a joke, as it invariably always were.  I wonder if that LP has my autograph on it?  I did sign an awful lot of album covers for nervous, awkward teenagers back then.  I don't remember any of them being cartoon bear teenagers, though.

And yes, Teodor is a little unclear on the concept.  He thinks garage sales operate under lazy stoner dude hours.  In his mind, 9AM seemed plenty early enough. Too early, actually.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2009, 09:00:47 pm
I was a member of Boingo during the peak of their career in the 80's. 

Wait, what?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: wombat on January 12, 2009, 09:12:43 pm
No, no the correct thread title is "A certain legal tenderness."

I am glad to see he got artistic inspiration out of having to move but - another state (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2009/01/achewood-state-of-union-12009.html)? What other state? But, but... are all the guys moving with him??
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: colmore on January 12, 2009, 09:16:18 pm
Hey there, hentavirus, what you been up to?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 12, 2009, 09:17:05 pm
No, no the correct thread title is "A certain legal tenderness."

I am glad to see he got artistic inspiration out of having to move but - another state (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2009/01/achewood-state-of-union-12009.html)? What other state? But, but... are all the guys moving with him??

Suddenly, Achewood is going to be based less on an anthropomorphized-animal version of Palo Alto, and more an anthropomorphized version of Portland.

Ray: Aw HELL yea! Check out my new mountain unicycle, dogg!
Beef: shucks well hell and damn on an egg sandwich but if that ain't the dumbest thing you've done yet oh and ah um i'm gonna go swipe the wi-fi at bagdad cafe


Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jaydub on January 12, 2009, 09:17:26 pm
Yargh!  My theory is he swore up and down he'd move to backwoods Oregon if Obama won the election, and someone called his bluff.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: pmcd9 on January 12, 2009, 11:11:21 pm
Oingo Boingo.  Didn't they have Tina Fey from Talking Heads in that band?  Oh no wait, that was the Tom Boy Club.  Oingo Boingo had a member that was famous for something other than being in Oingo Boingo.  Actually I think Oingo Boingo was only famous for having this guy as a former member.  I clearly remember this.  Someone in the movies maybe.  It wasn't Kevin Bacon...
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: theinevitable on January 12, 2009, 11:22:03 pm
I have a theory that I want to move to Portland, but I don't really remember what it is based on anymore.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: herofix on January 12, 2009, 11:31:17 pm
I don't have your autograph, Mr. Bacich, but I do have Dale Turner's and Steve Bartek's.

P.S. I know the dates are slightly off, but if you have an mp3 version of 'I'm So Bad', will you send it to me?  Us overseas folk aren't able to get that song on any music downloading sites for some reason.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: smick on January 13, 2009, 12:19:23 am
Suddenly, Achewood is going to be based less on an anthropomorphized-animal version of Palo Alto, and more an anthropomorphized version of Portland.
Ray: Aw HELL yea! Check out my new mountain unicycle, dogg!
Beef: shucks well hell and damn on an egg sandwich but if that ain't the dumbest thing you've done yet oh and ah um i'm gonna go swipe the wi-fi at bagdad cafe

Please.  Teodor would have the Muni, not Ray. Decanned.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jough on January 13, 2009, 01:37:21 am
Oingo Boingo?  That's the band that had one semi-hit from a John Hughes-produced movie and then gave us Danny Elfman's cinematic scores, right?

You still talk to Danny? Or his hot niece-in-law Jenna?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 13, 2009, 02:29:38 am
Is it, in fact, a dead man's party? Is it true that we could have, in fact, asked for more? Could we have in fact, taken our body in with us rather than leaving it at the door?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: lprkn on January 13, 2009, 02:58:07 am
Quote from: Onstad
Thank you for your patience and dedication, and please find a home for us in your RSS feed aggregator.

Way ahead of you there, man.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 13, 2009, 04:15:42 am
Is Beef's Santa Claus comment a reference to the naughty and nice lists? Like Santa may also know who will be driven crazy by a hard life?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bimmicus on January 13, 2009, 05:27:54 am
Oingo Boingo fuck*ng rules. If it is silly to like them, well, then I am silly.

Seriously though I saw them live a few times and those boys knew how to rock a house down.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2009, 05:39:35 pm
Just like they all really whack it to Johnny Cougar-Camp growling Paper in Fire annually.


Nuh-uh.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 13, 2009, 06:05:38 pm
Just like they all really whack it to Johnny Cougar-Camp growling Paper in Fire annually.

From my cock and on my hands
Why don't people understand
My emissions
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: colmore on January 13, 2009, 06:34:11 pm
"I wonder if Santa Clause knew you'd be a crazy piece of shit when you turned fifty" is a pretty great insult regardless of context.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2009, 07:26:21 pm
Wait, wait.  We have a genuine rock star on the board here?  Wow.  That's like, I mean, totally onion rings with awesome sauce. 

Those really good onion rings that are cut really thin and battered and fried up nice and sweet and get all tangled up in the basket so that you just pick them up by the handful and tip your head back and drop them in your mouth.  That's what this board is like normally. 

But having a former member of Oingo Boingo here...that's a side of ranch dressing, right there. 

Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2009, 07:45:03 pm
JL, we have very different opinions on onion rings. And ranch. And, I'm going to assume, bleu cheese.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 13, 2009, 07:56:44 pm
JL, we have very different opinions on onion rings. And ranch. And, I'm going to assume, bleu cheese.

Ranch dressing on really cheap, college-town, we-deliver-at-3am-if-you-don't-mind-the-layer-of-grease-on-top pizza, is really great.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jaydub on January 13, 2009, 09:52:39 pm
Hell, we have an internationally reknowned playwright, a borderline psychotic ex-college football player, artists, paramedics, college kids, misanthropes, professors, heroes and thieves of many stripes.  A rock star is just another bright stripe on the dreamcoat.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 13, 2009, 10:43:03 pm
Hell, we have an internationally reknowned playwright, a borderline psychotic ex-college football player, artists, paramedics, college kids, misanthropes, professors, heroes and thieves of many stripes.  A rock star is just another bright stripe on the dreamcoat.

He's not just a rock star, he's a Mystic Knight.

That's like, +3 hit dice or something.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2009, 10:55:41 pm
Hell, we have an internationally reknowned playwright, a borderline psychotic ex-college football player, artists, paramedics, college kids, misanthropes, professors, heroes and thieves of many stripes.  A rock star is just another bright stripe on the dreamcoat.

Point taken. 

And yes, Cort, greasy onion rings dipped in creamy ranch are my last remaining vice.  Let me have this much, I beg of you. 

I think we've established previously that Cort is my food opposite in every way.  But if you meant that Bleu Cheese is disgusting, I'm going to have to agree on that one.  As ranchlike as it may be, I simply cannot tolerate moldy cheese in my salad dressing. 
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2009, 10:59:45 pm
Point taken. 

And yes, Cort, greasy onion rings dipped in creamy ranch are my last remaining vice.  Let me have this much, I beg of you. 

I think we've established previously that Cort is my food opposite in every way.  But if you meant that Bleu Cheese is disgusting, I'm going to have to agree on that one.  As ranchlike as it may be, I simply cannot tolerate moldy cheese in my salad dressing. 

I can't stand ranch or or bleu cheese. Luckily I also don't like wing sauce, which greatly cuts down on my encounters with either.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2009, 11:00:23 pm
Can we agree on Zesty Italian? 
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 13, 2009, 11:00:44 pm
I know she ain't around here much anymore but I was pretty geeked that RMJ turned out to be related to Bill James.

Just for me, for my nerdiness, that's cooler than Oingo Boingo, not that being in a successful band ain't impressive or anything.

And I'd read most of the DeepFried stuff long before the DeepFried guy started occasionally posting here, now that I think of it.

I suppose that it says everything about me that needs to be said that I'm more impressed by a baseball executive or a funnybook writer than a rock star.

Then again, some people are impressed by the idea that I worked for slightly famous people for a while and so forth so... it's all relative, I guess.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2009, 11:01:58 pm
Can we agree on Zesty Italian? 

Sure. And marinara. That's a quality dipping sauce. Mmm, fried cheese.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2009, 11:02:44 pm
Oh, yeah.  Marinara is good -- except when some people screw it up with black olives. 

Then we have Problems. 

That's pretty rare, tho. 
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jaydub on January 14, 2009, 01:15:54 am
Oh, yeah.  Marinara is good -- except when some people screw it up with black olives. 

Ew.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: AugustWest on January 14, 2009, 04:29:06 am
The Dinosaur Comics guy posted here for a while, as did Spinn of Spinnwebe fame.

I was on TV a couple of times.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: theinevitable on January 14, 2009, 06:45:09 am
A while ago I googled my dad and he was quoted in all these articles.

...also in that process I found out exactly what his title is, and WOW he is pretty damn important.

I also found out the other day that the reason he left his old job, at [redacted, a major bank headquartered in Charlotte, NC which is being bought out], is that... they were making a deal that he thought was incredibly stupid, and he told his boss that, and his boss went through with it anyway. So he retired/quit.
They called him apologizing and asking for him to come back a little before they went under. He was considering it, but made the smart choice.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Ben-San on January 14, 2009, 12:49:34 pm
I've been headbutted by Al Gore and threatened by Harlan Ellison. That's.. that's basically all I got. Oh, and I had lunch with Hal Clement, he was a pretty cool guy to have lunch with if you like to talk about planets (I do).
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: AugustWest on January 14, 2009, 01:30:19 pm
I've been headbutted by Al Gore and threatened by Harlan Ellison.

Well hell, who hasn't?

Quote
That's.. that's basically all I got. Oh, and I had lunch with Hal Clement, he was a pretty cool guy to have lunch with if you like to talk about planets (I do).

Now that's cool.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jay-ell on January 14, 2009, 04:21:30 pm
Okay, okay, okay.  I get it -- we're a star-studded lot, a bucket of beautiful and unique snowflakes. 

I sort of take for granted that you regulars have done cool stuff, because I've been around you so long.  But when a dude who's one step up from lurker announces that he used to be part of a band that most people have heard of, it's sort of jarring. 

Basically, I assume that if someone's cool like that, they're cool enough to post more than twice a year. 

Maybe the problem is my definition of "cool." 
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: lprkn on January 15, 2009, 12:49:59 am
Well, basically when someone makes a (somewhat) unbelievable claim, I just tend to quietly disbelieve it 'till proven otherwise. A natural tendency toward gullibility has led me a little bit in the other direction, actually.

I post more than twice a year, therefore I'm cool! (at least to Jay-ell, maybe, at least as far as imaginary internet beings go anyway)
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Drygioni on January 15, 2009, 02:16:46 am
Oingo Boingo.  Didn't they have Tina Fey from Talking Heads in that band?  Oh no wait, that was the Tom Boy Club.  Oingo Boingo had a member that was famous for something other than being in Oingo Boingo.  Actually I think Oingo Boingo was only famous for having this guy as a former member.  I clearly remember this.  Someone in the movies maybe.  It wasn't Kevin Bacon...

I was going to say that it was Tina Weymouth, and the Tom Tom Club, but from the tone of your post I'm worried I'm missing out on a joke here, hence dropping myself in it

Pedantry aside, I liked today's strip! I actually might go back a month or so and read them all at once. I feel this is the best way to appreciate a disjointed schedule


Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2009, 03:33:39 am
Judy? Is that really you?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Doc on January 15, 2009, 03:38:21 am
Ark and Judy in one day. Is this the coming of spring or something?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: oball on January 15, 2009, 05:17:07 am
Not if one of them sees their shadow.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2009, 03:04:46 pm
I've been headbutted by Al Gore and threatened by Harlan Ellison.

Wait, did we ever hear these stories?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: pmcd9 on January 15, 2009, 07:22:03 pm
I was going to say that it was Tina Weymouth, and the Tom Tom Club, but from the tone of your post I'm worried I'm missing out on a joke here, hence dropping myself in it

Pedantry aside, I liked today's strip! I actually might go back a month or so and read them all at once. I feel this is the best way to appreciate a disjointed schedule


Yes I did intentionally mangle my facts.  It was my way of acting unimpressed that a semi famous musician was posting on the board.   However, when Oingo Boingo was initially mentioned I mistook them in my mind for the Tom Tom club thinking they were the other band Tina Weymouth played in.  But then I looked them up on wikipedia.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Ben-San on January 16, 2009, 12:08:13 am
Wait, did we ever hear these stories?

My sister was in the same graduating class and house at Harvard as one of Al Gore's daughters, so they had the same graduation ceremony. During the outdoor lunch, tables were placed quite close together, and his assigned seat was back-to-back with mine. We're both very tall men, so I got vice-presidential head slammed into mine multiple times over the course of the day. No actual malice in the headbutting (I assume).

Harlan Ellison was pure malice, but whether AW was joking or not with "who hasn't been?" that's pretty much the case with being threatened by Ellison. Pretty much if Harlan Ellison notices you, he hates you. He has a Reputation for this.

Hal Clement lived in Milton, MA, and he was pretty amiable about showing up when college kids in the area held a science-fiction get-together. One of my friends was in a college club that invited him and only about twelve people showed up for the con that day, so basically we all went out to lunch and talked about planets.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bimmicus on January 19, 2009, 08:49:42 pm
Harlan Ellison was perfectly nice to me the few times I encountered him. Which is hard to figure, since I'm fairly hateable, and he's a lunatic. Just one of those little mysteries o' life, I guess.
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: jaydub on January 21, 2009, 11:45:57 pm
Kindred spirits?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: lprkn on January 22, 2009, 02:46:01 am
The Brotherhood of Hateable Lunatics?
Title: Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
Post by: Bimmicus on January 22, 2009, 03:30:35 am
Not big on committing assault as a hobby, myself. His meds must have been mixing well that week.