The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: TripperDay on June 10, 2009, 06:20:10 pm

Title: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: TripperDay on June 10, 2009, 06:20:10 pm
A few weeks ago the gf and I cooked 8 burgers, 5 kabobs, 4 cobs of corn, and two pork tenderloin. The burgers were acceptable, but everything else was sublime.

Stuff I learned:

#1 - I used a combination smoker/griller. Unless you're cooking steaks, the coals go on bottom shelf so everything cooks slower, stays tender, and gets more smoke.

Cut a "door" in a beer can the same side as the spout. Place butter, pepper, salt, and corn cob in beer can. Close "door". Stick skewer through mouth hole in can to turn the cob occasionally in butter/salt/pepper mixture. Delicious. It's also fun to making the empties.

Kabobs can be very healthy if you just use tiny pieces of meat. I know that sounds incredibly obvious, but I was impressed with the amount of flavor we got out of so little meat. We included orange was an experiment but a pleasant surprise. Never be afraid of a little citrus. There's a reason lemon pepper is so popular, and it's not (only) because people aren't being creative.

For the pork tenderloin, I rubbed them with salt, pepper, and a little Cavender's, then after skewering it to make a pilot hole, ran it through with a very thick sprig of rosemary from my gf's yard. About halfway through I brushed it with some olive oil and worcestershire, but it's the rosemary that makes it great. It's a neat idea but next time I'm just going to use some smaller sprigs because cutting it in slices was a pain.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 10, 2009, 07:29:49 pm
Very nice.  This past weekend I smoked a big ol' roasting chicken on my Weber.  Coated that bird with the spice rub from Rudy's Bar-B-Q of San Antonio, Texas.  (When you think you've put on enough... put on more.)  Two smallish fires, one on either side, foil pan with water in the middle and the bird goes over that.  Add soaked wood chips to the coals periodically.

It took longer than I'd have liked, largely because my probe thermometer was giving me crazy readings for the grill temp--I should have added more coals sooner than I did.  Nonetheless, it was awesome when finally done.

I think I'm going to do Korean beef ribs this weekend.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: AugustWest on June 10, 2009, 07:52:23 pm
I grill a lot of pork tenderloins and I will definitely try the rosemary trick.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 11, 2009, 04:51:49 am
that rosemary trick works exceedingly well in a whole rack of lamb, too.

in three weeks i'll be back in atlanta with a brand new weber and a giant back of hardwood charcoal and the meat counters at whole foods and publix won't know what hit them

at the very least i will be grilling turkeys, smoking bacon, and dry aging whole rib roasts to become on-the-bone ribeyes. of course i also like the tin of beer, onions, and brats. oh, and skirt steak and prawns for fajitas.

now i need a meat grinder and a shitload of casings so i can make some homemade sausage

...is it obvious how excited i am?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 11, 2009, 04:28:25 pm
My vegetarian wife left town for a week so I took the opportunity to have an all-meat diet, with breakfast, lunch and dinner being grilled meat of some sort. I got to perfect some rubs and recipes, and also had to run something like eight miles a day (split between multiple runs) to keep from ballooning.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 11, 2009, 05:31:00 pm
I've been working on the 4:4:3:2:2:1 rule. By which I mean:

For steaks:

ratio of 4:4:3:2:2:1 of black pepper, allspice, caraway, coriander, kosher (or sea) salt, and chili powder, moderately coarsely ground, rubbed in and covered with a neutral oil (i use grapeseed oil)

for lamb:

ratio of 4:4:3:2:2:1 of dill, fenugreek (leaves, not seeds), sumac, pepper, salt, and balsamic vinegar, ground finely, rubbed in and covered with olive oil

for giraffe:

ratio of 4:4:3:2:2:1 of dill, thyme, white wine, pepper, turmeric and salt.

for burgers:
ratio of 4:4:3:2:2:1 of meat, onions, egg, mirin, pepper, and allspice.

Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: wombat on June 11, 2009, 05:58:03 pm
I've been drenching chicken thighs in Whole Foods brand buffalo wing sauce, closing the lid of the grill, and going away for a while. I'm happy.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 12, 2009, 01:40:03 am
i've found that my favorite seasoning on steak or burger is sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, a bit of adobo, and just a breath of cumin - like the comparative amount of vermouth in a martini.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 12, 2009, 02:03:43 am
Oh man, though, you have to type that concept very carefully.

Especially around people with the sense of humour of a twelve year old, such as myself.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 02:09:28 am
i've found that my favorite seasoning on steak or burger is sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, a bit of adobo, and just a breath of cumin - like the comparative amount of vermouth in a martini.

I think we're on the same page with the cumin and caraway - they're related and have similar flavors.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 12, 2009, 08:17:17 am
i'm not that familiar with caraway, i thought it was used typically with fruits and poultry.

i have a friend who insists on using turmeric in cocktails. i must convince her this is folly. trust me, i've had her cocktails.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 02:08:40 pm
i'm not that familiar with caraway, i thought it was used typically with fruits and poultry.

i have a friend who insists on using turmeric in cocktails. i must convince her this is folly. trust me, i've had her cocktails.

Caraway's flavor is similar to cumin, maybe a little more muted. I find it goes better with fatty steaks like ribeye/prime rib because you dont want to overwhelm the flavor of the meat itself. Cumin is a bit stronger, I prefer to use it for tougher cuts of meat that I'm stewing or stir-frying or slow-braising, where it will have more time to insinuate itself.

Turmeric has an amazing ability to get rid of bad smells. The smell of meat browning or giraffe cooking turns my stomach (and I get all my meat from a local halal butcher with their own slaughterhouse, so it's super-fresh {tm}, etc.) --putting a little bit of turmeric in will nullify the smell and then the turmeric taste itself gets deactivated after a few minutes of high heat.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: AugustWest on June 12, 2009, 03:07:12 pm
Caraway's flavor is similar to cumin, maybe a little more muted.


Caraway and cumin taste nothing similar to me.  Caraway has a sort of licorice-y taste while cumin's flavor is sort of earthy/peppery.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 03:14:47 pm
Caraway and cumin taste nothing similar to me.  Caraway has a sort of licorice-y taste while cumin's flavor is sort of earthy/peppery.

I've never got a licorice-y taste from caraway (if I did, I'd never eat rye bread, as I hate licorice) Maybe it's subjective, but were you perhaps thinking of fennel or anise?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: AugustWest on June 12, 2009, 03:21:17 pm
I've never got a licorice-y taste from caraway (if I did, I'd never eat rye bread, as I hate licorice) Maybe it's subjective, but were you perhaps thinking of fennel or anise?

No, definitely caraway.  I know the difference.

I think it's just subjective.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on June 12, 2009, 03:32:28 pm
Caraway and cumin taste nothing similar to me.  Caraway has a sort of licorice-y taste while cumin's flavor is sort of earthy/peppery.

Caraway tastes like pain and suffering to me. It's kind of like cilantro that way.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 03:36:43 pm
Caraway tastes like pain and suffering to me. It's kind of like cilantro that way.

I thought you liked the steak?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on June 12, 2009, 03:42:35 pm
I thought you liked the steak?


I actually didn't have any of the steak. And I'm glad I didn't because I really hate caraway. The burgers were good, though.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 03:45:39 pm
I actually didn't have any of the steak. And I'm glad I didn't because I really hate caraway. The burgers were good, though.

Burgers had 'em too. OH SNAP
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on June 12, 2009, 05:03:21 pm
Burgers had 'em too. OH SNAP


Huh. I guess it was just little enough that I didn't notice. Or the bacon covered it up. I just know that I can't eat rye bread or that cracker-type deal you get at Indian restaurants.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 05:25:15 pm
Huh. I guess it was just little enough that I didn't notice. Or the bacon covered it up. I just know that I can't eat rye bread or that cracker-type deal you get at Indian restaurants.

The cracker-type deal is cumin!!
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on June 12, 2009, 05:55:08 pm
The cracker-type deal is cumin!!

Well apparently I don't like the taste of whole cumin or caraway. Which is weird because I'm fine with ground cumin.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 13, 2009, 02:06:13 am
poultry + celery seed + sage = mouthgasm
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 13, 2009, 02:38:18 am
poultry + celery seed + sage = mouthgasm

I don't eat poultry - you think it would work with a lean cut of pork, similarly brined?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 13, 2009, 05:18:16 am
chop no, loin yes. of course those are just the focus seasonings; i never skip the salt and pepper and often add a bit of rosemary, garlic, and dried red pepper flake
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 13, 2009, 02:21:36 pm
chop no, loin yes. of course those are just the focus seasonings; i never skip the salt and pepper and often add a bit of rosemary, garlic, and dried red pepper flake

i'd imagine chops would be nice with some mirin and  long pepper
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: jaydub on June 13, 2009, 09:01:25 pm
Why no poultry, Bobby?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2009, 12:24:50 am
Why no poultry, Bobby?

He don't like chicks.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 14, 2009, 01:28:44 am
Why no poultry, Bobby?

chicken: the texture of dark meat makes me gag and white meat is too dry and flavorless
turkey: as above
duck: too fatty
goose: turkey and duck's problems combined
cornish hen: bone to meat ratio insufficent
quail: see above, add fattiness

I find that most of my lighter-meat needs can be fulfilled with pork or rabbit.

There are a few notable exceptions. My aunt makes very good Tandoori chicken and there is a restaurant near here that makes an excellent Congolese duck.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Lister on June 14, 2009, 09:13:03 am
Man.  Oh man.  I am going to be able to have a grill again.  Technically I can have a gas grill at my apartment now, but no one ever said "I can taste the propane flavor" in an appreciative way.

I'm probably going to burn everything for the first week or so until I get used to cooking with fire again.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on June 14, 2009, 03:51:23 pm
I don't/can't grill but I went to an awesome pig roast yesterday. I have never actually seen an entire pig on a spit before.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 14, 2009, 08:47:50 pm
I don't/can't grill but I went to an awesome pig roast yesterday. I have never actually seen an entire pig on a spit before.

I had a smoked peccary shank today, braised in a wine reduction. Very good. I need to eat more peccary.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on June 14, 2009, 09:12:26 pm
bob i thought it was a health/politix thing that made you not eat chicken, but apparently it's just that you don't know how to cook it

Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 14, 2009, 09:22:16 pm
bob i thought it was a health/politix thing that made you not eat chicken, but apparently it's just that you don't know how to cook it




i dont like the taste or texture
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: wombat on June 14, 2009, 11:13:31 pm
Where the heck did you buy peccary?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 15, 2009, 01:06:59 am
I made hot dogs tonight.  Hot dogs with roasted garlic-red pepper relish and manchego cheese. 
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 15, 2009, 02:46:20 am
Where the heck did you buy peccary?

american indian museum cafe - it's a great place to eat uncommon meats
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: jaydub on June 15, 2009, 05:14:08 pm
Where the heck did you buy peccary?
I was thinking a midnight raid at the zoo.  Keepers probably get too attached to their charges to eat them, and probably ones dying of old age/disease aren't the tastiest specimens - but I've wondered if there was some sort of market for deceased residents.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: AugustWest on June 15, 2009, 05:30:01 pm
I was thinking a midnight raid at the zoo.  Keepers probably get too attached to their charges to eat them, and probably ones dying of old age/disease aren't the tastiest specimens - but I've wondered if there was some sort of market for deceased residents.

Substitute "peccary" for "mother". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF6IShnqPY0)
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: TripperDay on June 17, 2009, 10:10:28 pm
Weird. I thought I'd decided not to start this topic. Glad to see all the responses though.

Re: Poultry sucks

Don't extend that rule to wild birds, Bobby.  The ducks I get from my dad are extremely lean, but still have a lot of flavor because of their diet. I'd probably use lardons if I wanted to smoke or roast one. He usually just cuts off the breast meat (much easier than plucking) so that's not an option.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 23, 2009, 09:58:04 pm
i made bacon cheeseburgers for lunch today.  i chopping up 7 or 8 slices of raw bacon, mixed it with 1 Lb of ground sirloin, and formed 2 1/2 Lb patties.  threw them on the grill, etc.  When all was said and done, i bit into one.  i tell you, i almost cried tears of delight!  all the bacon fat made it heavenly.

it was a Lb of meat, plus rolls, so im still too full to eat dinner.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 24, 2009, 12:21:51 pm
i made bacon cheeseburgers for lunch today.  i chopping up 7 or 8 slices of raw bacon, mixed it with 1 Lb of ground sirloin, and formed 2 1/2 Lb patties.  threw them on the grill, etc.  When all was said and done, i bit into one.  i tell you, i almost cried tears of delight!  all the bacon fat made it heavenly.

it was a Lb of meat, plus rolls, so im still too full to eat dinner.

I failed with that because beef fat and bacon fat have vastly different melting points. How did you avoid salmonella burger or well-done hockey puck with bits of bacon inside?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 25, 2009, 08:16:58 am
I failed with that because beef fat and bacon fat have vastly different melting points. How did you avoid salmonella burger or well-done hockey puck with bits of bacon inside?

i chopped the bacon up as fine as i possibly could.  like, almost to a paste.  using a food processor.  and since i dont get creative with the flesh of beasts very often, it very well could have been a fluke.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 06, 2009, 06:33:46 pm
Surprisingly good grilled:

- Rice Krispy Treats (sear quickly on high heat to avoid overmelting; let re-firm before serving)
- Apple Pie (add fried ice cream on top for ultimate a la mode decadenc)
- Foie Gras (you will lose about half between the slats)
- Lemons (?!)
- Watermelons (soak afterward in tasty liquor of choice; port works well)
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2009, 07:41:09 pm
I missed the foie gras and lemons portion of the evening. Lemons would probably be especially good with that miracle fruit.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2009, 08:01:06 pm
Were these homemade Rice Krispy treats or store bought?
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 06, 2009, 08:03:31 pm
Were these homemade Rice Krispy treats or store bought?

Homemade.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2009, 05:21:22 am
i just made an interesting cocktail with oven-roasted lemons, and my first thought when tasting was "i wonder how it would be different if i'd grilled the lemons"
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: miles on July 14, 2009, 11:09:50 pm
i just made an interesting cocktail with oven-roasted lemons, and my first thought when tasting was "i wonder how it would be different if i'd grilled the lemons"

Give us the recipe, please.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2009, 11:21:20 pm
i love you guys. i've been back in atlanta for two weeks as of tomorrow! oh man it's so good.

i took five lemons and roasted them whole at 325 for an hour, they got soft and super juicy. juice them and take out the seeds and paper but leave the pulp. throw them in a pitcher half filled with ice, then add one part simple syrup and two parts vodka, close to the top. splash enough pomegranate juice to turn it a nice dark pink, mellow looking but not sour tasting. granted, this was a small pitcher. maybe add a couple-few more lemons if you're using a regular iced tea/lemonade/kool-aid pitcher.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2009, 01:03:00 am
i love you guys. i've been back in atlanta for two weeks as of tomorrow! oh man it's so good.

i took five lemons and roasted them whole at 325 for an hour, they got soft and super juicy. juice them and take out the seeds and paper but leave the pulp. throw them in a pitcher half filled with ice, then add one part simple syrup and two parts vodka, close to the top. splash enough pomegranate juice to turn it a nice dark pink, mellow looking but not sour tasting. granted, this was a small pitcher. maybe add a couple-few more lemons if you're using a regular iced tea/lemonade/kool-aid pitcher.

Sweetened or unsweetened pomegranate juice? This idea intrigues me.
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Choop on July 15, 2009, 03:09:59 am
the big tall bottle of pom, i guess it's sweetened
Title: Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2009, 03:27:07 am
the big tall bottle of pom, i guess it's sweetened

i have canned you for this great idea mr. choopernickel
remind me to drunkdial you