The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on July 21, 2009, 08:05:56 pm

Title: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Asherdan on July 21, 2009, 08:05:56 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: CortJstr on July 21, 2009, 09:36:11 pm
Yikes. If I may quote an old friend: Post, damn you! Post!
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Ruta Bagas on July 21, 2009, 10:51:40 pm
Hey, though, don't worry about that first column. I've never started a topic and I'm among the most valued members of this community!

Right?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Toaster on July 21, 2009, 11:19:21 pm
I was looking at the stats, and... there are 919 members? And there was once a time when 277 party people were online at once?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: smick on July 22, 2009, 12:00:42 am
I prefer not to post very often.

However, I do enjoy coming here regularly to see what the 7 of you think about varied things.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2009, 12:18:38 am
Eh, what are you gonna do?

This place is like a old neighborhood bar that the locals have been coming to for a century.  We regulars aren't going anyplace.

Once in a while somebody wanders in off the street and we either run 'em off or they stick around for some reason.  Once or twice a year we get a new regular or at least semi-regular.  Plus we get cool drop-ins and freaky trolls.

What sucks is losing regulars.

I was looking through old threads today -- just jumped to a random date (in 2004 as it turned out).  There's a lot of regulars I terribly miss.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: lprkn on July 22, 2009, 12:33:31 am
It's quality not volume that counts though, right?

Right.

I have no problem with the reduced numbers. As long as they're tied to quality members and posts, anyway. Although I too harbor the fear that members will drop off, one by one, until whoever remains just throws in the towel.

Of course, we're all part of each other's online entertainment. I think that we tend to rely on others to do the posting, and refrain from doing so ourselves out of fear of not matching up to the general level of excellence or simply out of laziness. More the first thing than the second thing in my case, anyway. But some of the second thing, too.

I was looking through old threads today -- just jumped to a random date (in 2004 as it turned out).  There's a lot of regulars I terribly miss.

Word
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Ruta Bagas on July 22, 2009, 12:37:30 am
I'd post more frequently to keep the place more lively but I'm terribly concerned about sustaining a good post:can ratio.

I suppose I could start a sockpuppet account and kill two internet-birds with one internet-stone.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Toaster on July 22, 2009, 01:08:29 am
Sometimes I'll want to talk about something, but I don't know if it's worth making a topic, and I can't fit it into an existing topic?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: pmcd9 on July 22, 2009, 01:16:59 am
Ah well, we had a good run.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2009, 01:25:38 am
I ain't going anywhere.


Fuck guys, post more instead of less. You just start a topic or suffer a poor post:can ration like you see fit and the Good Lord will provide.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2009, 01:38:33 am
Dammit people, enough of this negative talk. If nothing else I need to find out what the next rank is. Philippe has been standing on it for like 3,000 posts now.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2009, 01:43:03 am
Sometimes I'll want to talk about something, but I don't know if it's worth making a topic, and I can't fit it into an existing topic?

There's no extra charge for starting a topic.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Ruta Bagas on July 22, 2009, 01:54:49 am
There's no extra charge for starting a topic.

Wait, what? I'm sitting here in my home-made Russian fur hat and my whole world is changing. This board really needs a beginner's pack.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2009, 02:03:33 am
Quote
refrain from doing so ourselves out of fear of not matching up to the general level of excellence

Oh shit, is that why I post so much?

Crap.

Wait, so, should i post more about my stupid inane personal life, or less?

I like the concept of Sock Puppet, because it kind of (to me, at least) implies "there's the real IMTEHGREATESTLOL949, and then there's the fake one."

Do you want me to make a post about how Axl Rose is representative of the evils of capitalism, because he is so prescriptivist about language, and also there should be gun control?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: lprkn on July 22, 2009, 02:08:08 am
All I know is never to piss off Ben. That guy is not afraid of unleashing.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2009, 02:08:20 am

Do you want me to make a post about how Axl Rose is representative of the evils of capitalism, because he is so prescriptivist about language, and also there should be gun control?

You forgot barbed cat penes and giraffe placenta.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Toaster on July 22, 2009, 02:13:36 am
penes

Peens.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Choop on July 22, 2009, 04:03:46 am
idea: add other comics to the top section and rename it "comics" or some shit. change "today i'm gonna" from a thread to a board and stop blogging in one thread, start making posts. also, show your books to your friends and see who digs it, invite them on.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 22, 2009, 04:10:47 am
counter-idea: Slowly become more and more insular, posters are sloughed away over time by boredom or bad feeling caused by overly combative core members. Eventually the entire board will be a single thread of Bobby yelling at himself about how he's already heard about that bacon thing he just posted.

But, yeah, I guess the other idea is good too.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on July 22, 2009, 06:42:13 am
I prefer not to post very often.

However, I do enjoy coming here regularly to see what the 7 of you think about varied things.

I read what you guys think, but I forget that I think things too sometimes.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2009, 06:48:27 am
every single one of us should delete our facebook, myspace, twitter, blogs, and cell-phone contact list, and only interact through TOUAMB, YOUR LIFESTYLE EXPERIENCE.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2009, 07:26:46 am
I clicked hoping that someone had found another embedded-game Easter egg, like how there was that racing game in Excel 2000.

Or maybe fun like using INDIRECT, ROW, and COLUMN to derive lookup tables that automatically adjust with the source tab.

This wasn't really that fun.  I guess some people left or something?  And new things aren't as good as old things were?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2009, 12:48:46 pm
every single one of us should delete our facebook, myspace, twitter, blogs, and cell-phone contact list, and only interact through TOUAMB, YOUR LIFESTYLE EXPERIENCE.

Right. It's all Jough's fault for getting a real job instead of sitting home and figuring out how to promote and monetize TOUAMB, YOUR LIFESTYLE EXPERIENCE. We had a start before all those things got big! What a wasted opportunity.

And new things aren't as good as old things were?

And get off of our lawn!

Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 22, 2009, 01:25:31 pm
Yeah, Facebook is ruining the rest of the interwebs, ain't it.

But I agree with the Egg Man:  I ain't going nowhere.  And just post some damn hell stuff if you want more talkage.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2009, 05:14:04 pm
IDEA: Stop posting stuff on Facebook that ends up mostly being commented on by TOUAMB people. Have those conversations here, dammit.

Also, Nabu. Everyone go on Facebook and tell him to come back here.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: AugustWest on July 22, 2009, 05:47:48 pm
And Slink.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 22, 2009, 06:44:02 pm
im the noob and i havent found my niche yet, aside from being kind of e-timid about how i fit in.

i guess i should just stop being a puss and start talking shit like everyone else.  the more splashing i do in this end of the internet/diaper, the easier itll be to see who likes it and who doesnt.  its like science or magic or something...
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: CortJstr on July 22, 2009, 06:52:59 pm
im the noob and i havent found my niche yet, aside from being kind of e-timid about how i fit in.

i guess i should just stop being a puss and start talking shit like everyone else.  the more splashing i do in this end of the internet/diaper, the easier itll be to see who likes it and who doesnt.  its like science or magic or something...

STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my pen.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2009, 07:19:09 pm
i guess i should just stop being a puss and start talking shit like everyone else.  the more splashing i do in this end of the internet/diaper, the easier itll be to see who likes it and who doesnt.  its like science or magic or something...

It's like animal training. Be good and we throw you a cookie. Be bad and we make idle threats about stabbing you with a pen, which will never be implemented but you get the message.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: linnea on July 23, 2009, 03:31:29 am
Did it bother anybody else that 2009 is only really about half over and thus the alarming stats aren't that bad? I know there's been a downturn. As I grow older, I become less comfortable with candid public discussion on the intartubes. This shit is archived. At least on FB only the spooks can read it, as long as my privacy settings haven't been reset by changing networks or some bullshit.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: theinevitable on July 23, 2009, 03:42:23 am
i hope I never work for someone who looks me up online and really hates Little Nephew or something.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 23, 2009, 08:02:01 am
STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my peen.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2009, 01:03:08 pm
Did it bother anybody else that 2009 is only really about half over and thus the alarming stats aren't that bad? I know there's been a downturn. As I grow older, I become less comfortable with candid public discussion on the intartubes. This shit is archived. At least on FB only the spooks can read it, as long as my privacy settings haven't been reset by changing networks or some bullshit.

When did we forget our dreams?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 23, 2009, 01:29:15 pm
Why is she wrong Robert Seltken?

Oh, I guess you are right Gondola Eric, the earlier years, wasn't here then so it doesn't exist to me you know.

chimney stevens.
steamboat dave.
tim baxter.
holdstein cromwell.
crusty the mechanic.
barcelona adams.
rebecca truewall.
stephanie cantu.
i like making silly names!
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 23, 2009, 01:37:43 pm
I don't know, just posting instead of silently reading, this is what I come up with, sorry.

Also, an alias?!?!!
ohh shiiiiiiit

Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2009, 01:51:02 pm
I'm guessing Ash rocks the financial year?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2009, 02:06:12 pm
That's the policy I generally maintain, though I guess facebook screwed that up too.

Also we'd have to be church, way too many weird rituals and code words for it to be otherwise plus we can't actually affect your life in any way (and when we do it's always weird and unexpected).
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on July 23, 2009, 02:27:57 pm
I wish we were State. We'd run things better.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2009, 02:34:47 pm
Until a prescriptive vs descriptive schism tore the nation apart in centuries of bloody religious warfare.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 23, 2009, 06:50:15 pm
I hate it. Do you hear that, Financial Year? I have a burning passion of hatred for you.  You are a Silly Thing.

It is kind of silly, but imagine having to work over the week of Christmas and New Years because you had to get all your budget stuff done.  That would suck.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2009, 07:11:36 pm
It is kind of silly, but imagine having to work over the week of Christmas and New Years because you had to get all your budget stuff done.  That would suck.

I always figured it was so the fiscal-year-end stuff wasn't happening at the same time as tax-year-end stuff. Otherwise you'd have to like double your accounting department for that month to prep W2's and process budgets at the same time.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2009, 12:06:28 am
A can for 'Greg'
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Toaster on July 24, 2009, 03:17:00 am
Dear Fiscal Year, your big brother Greg. Calendar called again. I think he wants to make up, are you still holding a grudge? He is family, you know. It'd be nice if you, Roman, Mayan and the rest could get together for the holidays just once.

Careful, or Neil Gaiman will come over and challenge you to an identical elephant suit contest. The winner is or will become the writer of a Duran Duran biography.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: miles on January 16, 2010, 01:29:40 am
I had an Excel crisis at work yesterday. Instead of figuring it out my friend fixed it for me. I'll never learn this way.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: wombat on January 16, 2010, 02:14:42 am

Apparently Wombats been sleeping better and drinking more or something because her figments have been jumping.

Dang, I have hardly been drinking at all, does this mean that's a good thing?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Thomas Pain on January 16, 2010, 02:27:35 am
I had an Excel crisis at work yesterday. Instead of figuring it out my friend fixed it for me. I'll never learn this way.

It helps to learn something if that something has some kind of structure or organization to it... 

You can think of computer programs and GUI interfaces as forms of language.  Even if you don't know a specific regional or ethnic dialect of a language that you speak, you can sort of parse your way to a useful understanding.

You can think of Microsoft products as the language of someone who is fairly drunk.  If you don't speak that person's dialect fluently.... learning from a drunk person ain't the best approach.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 16, 2010, 02:35:43 am
Quote from: theinevitable link=topic=5016.msg134551#msg134551 date=1248228213

Wait, so, should i post [i
more[/i] about my stupid inane personal life, or less?

MOAR.  Your life is very different from mine, and also interesting.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 18, 2010, 10:15:20 pm
That... 35 or so of the new members this year were all iterations of the same troll?
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 02:52:56 am
That.

Also, hey fuck I been trying, you know, doin' my part.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: side_show on November 19, 2010, 03:30:23 pm
I will commit to starting a new topic today.  I've just got to think of something worth talking about.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 05:16:40 pm
I will commit to starting a new topic today.  I've just got to think of something worth talking about.

Again, you don't have to make it interesting. Look at the topics I've started since I've been back!
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2010, 06:14:34 pm
The naked boss topic is quality.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2010, 05:16:48 am
I've started more topics than anyone else here, but rarely are they naked boss quality.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: smick on January 05, 2011, 05:18:42 am
I've started 19 topics.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 02:45:32 pm
That was a pretty random bump, smick. I've started maybe 100? I didn't look.
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: smick on January 05, 2011, 04:20:39 pm
Ah... I uh... tend to not read all of the topics.   So when I hit "unread topics" I get a showing of 15-20 topics that may not have any anchoring in time/space.   
Title: Re: Fun w/ Excel
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 05:45:28 pm
Well, I'm not going to argue with the tiny can king.