The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on September 15, 2009, 12:03:06 pm

Title: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: dejavroom on September 15, 2009, 12:03:06 pm
In which the cartoonist admits defeat in the face of an all-boring arc. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09152009)
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 15, 2009, 12:47:49 pm
What are you talking about? This is Leo Fontanette. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CADILLACS HE MOVES? DO YOU? DO YOU?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2009, 01:05:14 pm
For some reason my Comics Alt Text script doesn't work on Achewood starting today. That's annoying.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: wombat on September 15, 2009, 01:52:54 pm
For some reason this one's not on the fanflow. Maybe there are multiple technical difficulties.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 15, 2009, 01:57:42 pm
I do enjoy the idea that Just Punishment for a terrible person involves an arts and crafts store, though.

As subtle torture goes, a Joann's is probably right up there.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: CortJstr on September 15, 2009, 02:07:13 pm
I do enjoy the idea that Just Punishment for a terrible person involves an arts and crafts store, though.

As subtle torture goes, a Joann's is probably right up there.

This is a boring place!
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on September 15, 2009, 06:37:24 pm
Jesus, Onstad.  What.. what happened, man?  This is the worst thing you have ever written.  I've read more interesting warning labels on cigarette packages.  Take a vacation or something, because you truly suck right now.

P.S. Seriously. You suck.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 15, 2009, 06:53:49 pm
Maybe I grew up reading too many Alan Moore comics, but I didn't mind today's thing.

The baby dog thing makes me think that the rest of this isn't entirely bullshit. The baby dog thing was straight-up clever. Like one of those lateral thinking puzzles.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 15, 2009, 06:58:15 pm
I don't understand why, when people don't like a comic, their first response is something like ONSTAD YOU SUCK YOU BEAT YOUR WIFE GO TAKE A VACATION YOU RAPED AND MURDERED A GIRL IN 1990 YOUR SUCK LEVEL IS OVER 9000 or something like that

Maybe you didn't find it funny, okay, move on

Life is short and not everything is going to tickle your aspergers gland just right every day jesus
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2009, 07:23:54 pm
I don't understand why, when people don't like a comic, their first response is something like ONSTAD YOU SUCK YOU BEAT YOUR WIFE GO TAKE A VACATION YOU RAPED AND MURDERED A GIRL IN 1990 YOUR SUCK LEVEL IS OVER 9000 or something like that

Maybe you didn't find it funny, okay, move on

Life is short and not everything is going to tickle your aspergers gland just right every day jesus

You suck, Ronnie Rhomboid! 

However, you do get points for the whole "tickle your aspergers gland" thing.  That's funny.  You should write a comic strip on the internet.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: smick on September 15, 2009, 07:39:25 pm
Life is most certainly NOT short.

I have a lot of time to fill, and I'm running out of stuff to fill the spaces.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Liz on September 15, 2009, 07:44:08 pm
He did not address the question of what happened to Chuck Williams, Founder of Williams-Sonoma.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 15, 2009, 07:54:26 pm
I wonder what the real deal is with this arc?  Did he just get tired of writing it?  It's been going on for over two months and even though it's only comprised of 25 strips that's still a long time to be writing the same thing.  Does he have another idea he's jonsing to get out and so abruptly ended it so he could get on with that new thing?  Seems like if that were the case he could work on the new thing in the background while still continuing this, but I guess that's not how he works.  Did he just run out of ideas for this story?  That's possible I guess.  Was this how he envisioned the ending all along?  Seems like a lot of build up for such a meager ending. 

Today's strip seems like he's rubbing our nose in the fact that he didn't finish writing the arc.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2009, 07:59:46 pm
Today's strip seems like he's rubbing our nose in the fact that he didn't finish writing the arc.

He's talking to YOU Paul.  Onstad told me that he doesn't like your face and your shit's all gay.

I think you two should fight.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 15, 2009, 08:22:28 pm
Yeah, Paul, seriously. I am like best friends with Onstad in the whole wide world and he is helping me find the boxer shorts (ideally, new and unused) that best reflect me as a gentle soul and he told me that knowing you read his work makes it worthless.

but in all seriousness, unless there is a FIN the arc isn't over. Or maybe it is over because changing minds is a good idea. Lest we not forget the Great Outdoorsy Fight began with an arc on testicles for phones.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: dejavroom on September 15, 2009, 08:22:41 pm
Hopefully this will not end in tears but I was (IDLY) thinking that dude should maybe hire an artist and focus solely on writing. All the characters' countenances are already established, any kid can reproduce them faster and more efficiently anyway. Drawing over-elaborate stuff like the karma wheel oughta sap a dude's willpower, dontcha think (maybe there's a function here somewhere)? Achewood with proper backgrounds now there's a thought (15 pages follow debating the importance of the je ne sais quois-ness of Onstad's unstyle to the achewood experience, etc).
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 15, 2009, 08:28:04 pm
The issue of what Beef is going to do next will be the focus of the arc from here on out. The emergence of the new Beef.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2009, 09:39:37 pm
this whole arc feels like a bunch of achewood references thrown together.

Remember leo fontanette?
remember cartilage head?
here's a quote from last time we met cartilage head.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on September 15, 2009, 09:40:52 pm
I don't understand why, when people don't like a comic, their first response is something like ONSTAD YOU SUCK YOU BEAT YOUR WIFE GO TAKE A VACATION YOU RAPED AND MURDERED A GIRL IN 1990 YOUR SUCK LEVEL IS OVER 9000 or something like that

Lick me raw, Bobby.  I'm sorry if my opinion isn't the same as yours or if, gasp!, it is negative. Is this a forum for handjobbing the author of a webcomic, or is it somewhere a dude can post an opinion.  Look at my posting history - I almost never straight-up say "Onstad eats it."  But, y'know, that's what I felt this time and I wrote it.


Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Limmo on September 15, 2009, 10:18:42 pm
Onstad's suck level is not over 9000 yet, but it's rising.  I may have to figure out what the hell an "RSS feed" is.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: atalkingdog on September 16, 2009, 01:48:44 am
these are multi-contexts punchlines and barbs.  in this story alone, and along the greater storyline.

we can tell Onstad isn't milking continuity because characters rarely bring up the Great Outdoor Fight, or other past events.  they don't even act as if they've died and travelled in the after-life multiple times.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 02:22:16 am
I am thoroughly expecting the meme of "A-Cap and Onstad are superfriends" and tales of their ongoing slightly-homoerotic-but-mostly-just-what-10-year-old-boys-would-do-together-with-grownup-type-money adventures together to take over this board, by the way.

Don't let me down, gang.

I wasn't here to figure out what the fuck "Gina's pu$$y" was all about, other than the fact that it was apparently voluminous, I need to live through one of these.

(example: A-Cap brings a copy of Cap'n Squeakers posting to his lunchdate with Onstad, Onstad seems genuinely moved and saddened by the reaction until he yells "Psyche! Psychepsyche superpsyche!" and throws a wad of money at him out of a bag crudely marked "Subscription Service $$$" and they proceed to have a jolly money-fight. Bonus points if we get a rose-petals "American Beauty" reference.)
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 16, 2009, 02:42:03 am
As montage music goes, I'm torn between "Up Where We Belong" or "Happy Together" for the A-Cap/Onstad bromantic interludes.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 02:48:37 am
C'mon.

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head".
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: ananke on September 16, 2009, 03:18:47 am
Onstad's use of "permanently" over the years has always tickled me raw. "An old man who is permanently vomiting," "men in white lab coats had been paid to make sure that he permanently liked this food." And now "permanently driving a 1973 Honda Civic between Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores." Definitely not the only one of his -isms that has found its way into my idiolect.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 16, 2009, 03:26:10 am
Jesus...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 04:05:02 am
Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
Jesus...

Yes, my son?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: atalkingdog on September 16, 2009, 05:19:59 am
Onstad's use of "permanently" over the years has always tickled me raw. "An old man who is permanently vomiting," "men in white lab coats had been paid to make sure that he permanently liked this food." And now "permanently driving a 1973 Honda Civic between Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores." Definitely not the only one of his -isms that has found its way into my idiolect.

most of us old timers don't remember the strip with that degree of precision and depth. 

all i can really remember are the repeating motiffs of, "is this a thing"..."it is...a thing".  and "galaxy nachos".

Do not threaten me.  I will do the threatening here.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 05:40:30 am
Next time A-CAP and Onstad are playing "Truth or Dare", I think it would be rad if A-CAP "truthed" him if he is "atalkingdog" or not.

Get on this, A-CAP. The weight of the world is on your shoulders here, don't "shrug" it off.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2009, 05:55:19 am
my roommate and I, to bring together truth-or-dare and homosocial/homoerotic relationships, were joking about doing a 4-hour episode of our radio shows (2 hours each, back to back) that is "call-in truth or dare."
because, you know. no one would be able to see if we were doing the stuff or not.
We would probably bring in stuff to make gross sound effects.

I don't think I really "got" homoeroticism until I lived with this guy.
you know what they say. When you're best friends with someone, every Bromance seems like it's about you.

...we really need for one of us to be dating someone, we spend so much time together that it's getting weird.

I just realized: I say that, and 10 minutes ago he invited himself along on my first date with a girl.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 16, 2009, 06:04:24 am
I just realized: I say that, and 10 minutes ago he invited himself along on my first date with a girl.

He probably wants to see it for himself when absolutely nothing happens.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2009, 06:09:19 am
oh man, that classic paradox.

"dude, seriously, don't you need to, um, go to bed"
"no man, i want to see you not get laid"
"but... aren't you tired, don't you want to go to sleep."
"no man, i'm totally awake. i want to see you fail to get laid."
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 16, 2009, 06:19:32 am
I bet that is someone's fetish. I bet there is porn of people not getting laid.

I would watch it out curiosity, but I would not use it for its intended purpose, as that is not my bag.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2009, 06:22:52 am
I am really interested in porn that involves... people doing things that to me, have nothing to do with sex.

I would study this if I didn't worry about what my mother would think of me.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 06:33:05 am
I think that the heart of the fetish would be, hm.

It would pretty much be the opposite of watching MacGuyver.

You watch MacGuyver, you know, because every episode he's going to get into a weirder and weirder scrape and every time he'll figure out a weirder way to get out of it.

MacGuyver, you know that he's going to get out of it, that's not the point. It's wondering how the fuck he's going to pull it off.

It's not about the Daniel-not-getting-laid, that's assumed, we all know how the episode is going to end.

But how he manages to avoid the most unavoidable (shall we say, inevitable) sex in the most outlandish ways, that's the point. That's what the viewer enjoys.

Sort of a Bizarro MacGuyver thing with just a twist of Trix Rabbit on top.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 16, 2009, 06:41:04 am
He's talking to YOU Paul.  Onstad told me that he doesn't like your face and your shit's all gay.

I think you two should fight.


if the white dont win, we all jump in.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 16, 2009, 06:47:22 am
http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=165
http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=166
http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=167
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Doc on September 16, 2009, 12:00:54 pm
I bet that is someone's fetish. I bet there is porn of people not getting laid.

'Cuckolding'
Porn of people not only not getting laid but of someone else fuck*ng their girlfriends.
Damn if I understand it.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2009, 12:37:50 pm
I bet that is someone's fetish. I bet there is porn of people not getting laid.


Man, that would be a really burdensome fetish to have, because hey, there's porn wherever you look.  Just turn on the TV or walk down the street and there's people not getting laid left and right.  In your office.  In the parks and on the sidewalks.  Everywhere you look, people not having sex in that special way that makes you feel all tingly.  You'd have to watch a lot of normal porn just to give yourself a rest.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2009, 12:48:29 pm
LFM, if you wrote that show, I would watch it.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2009, 03:44:54 pm
We would need the rights to "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" for the theme song to make it work.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 16, 2009, 03:51:25 pm
You should probably work "Pictures of Lily" somewhere in there, too.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 17, 2009, 12:07:40 am
so rolling stones rights

the big lebowski uses a townes van zandt stones cover at the end of that movie.  the rights to this song were owned by a stones manager or promoter or some sort, and he didn't want to give them up or was charging a ridiculous amount or whatever.  anyways, they finally got him to screen the movie, and when it got to the part were the dude is being thrown out of malibu and is in the taxi and says i hate the fuck*ng eagles the stones guy just gave them the rights.  fuck the eagles, i guess that is what i am trying to say
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 17, 2009, 03:27:21 am
so rolling stones rights

the big lebowski uses a townes van zandt stones cover at the end of that movie.  the rights to this song were owned by a stones manager or promoter or some sort, and he didn't want to give them up or was charging a ridiculous amount or whatever.  anyways, they finally got him to screen the movie, and when it got to the part were the dude is being thrown out of malibu and is in the taxi and says i hate the fuck*ng eagles the stones guy just gave them the rights.  fuck the eagles, i guess that is what i am trying to say
For the record, that is a Townes Van Zandt cover of the Rolling Stones song Dead Flowers.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 03:32:05 am
For the record, that is a Townes Van Zandt cover of the Rolling Stones song Dead Flowers.

I understood that to be what Keith wrote.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 17, 2009, 04:24:01 am
You know, I totally misread "stones cover" and thought he had written "song."
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 17, 2009, 08:08:19 pm
I don't know a lot of people who don't hate the Eagles.

I know a lot of people who like certain individual Eagles songs but I do not know a lot of people who will actually pick up that flag.

Possibly this is a sampling error on my fault.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 09:20:31 pm
I don't know why younger people hate the Eagles.  Could the Big Lebowski be to blame?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 17, 2009, 09:36:04 pm
I have only ever heard three four of their songs, and I like all three four of those songs.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: jaydub on September 17, 2009, 09:44:12 pm
There are many Eagles songs I like.  There are few I actively dislike.  There are many that I would call "ambient" in the sense that I neither notice them, nor wish to leave when they are playing.  I enjoy some of Don Henley's solo stuff (particularly Dirty Laundry).  I would have to think hard about whether I've heard the other band members solo works.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 17, 2009, 10:51:10 pm
because it is pretentious and boring?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 11:00:51 pm
because it is pretentious and boring?

Nah, that's not it.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 17, 2009, 11:07:02 pm
no, i think thats the problem.  especially the boring.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 11:19:19 pm
You need to check your facts buddy.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 18, 2009, 01:57:34 am
next thing i know you're making jackson browne playlists.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 05:59:28 am
Sure, why not.  Let's throw some Dan Fogelberg into the mix as well.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 18, 2009, 07:40:20 am
I hate the eagles because I associate them with my parents, and the other boring music they like.

I love my parents, but I do not like the music that they like. Except the Beatles and a few other exceptions.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 04:40:22 pm
I hate the eagles because I associate them with my parents

That's basically what I figured.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Dangermoose on September 18, 2009, 05:33:35 pm
I hate the Eagles for the same reason I hate Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but I do not hate Neil Young or Joe Walsh.

It's self-satisfied, cynical 70's So-Cal rock star music by and for self-satisfied, cynical 70's So-Cal rock stars.

{Edit: "cynical" in the pejorative sense; not to be confused with a Randy Newman cynical or a Steely Dan cynical.} 

{{Yeah! Steely Dan is ALSO self-satisfied, cynical 70's So-Cal rock star music!  I admit these are very subjective distinctions.}}
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 06:40:02 pm
I'm glad that my enjoyment of the music doesn't hinge on your opinion of it.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 18, 2009, 06:47:33 pm
I love love love this song's guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaYXwoXpeM) but most of their other stuff is not my cup of tea.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 06:50:32 pm
At a party recently this dude almost wanted to fight with me because I said "Fuck the Eagles" when he told me he and his wife were going to see them in concert.  I had no idea he was so touchy (read drunk).  But I didn't mean I don't like their music, just that they had made some douchebag moves recently firing an original member so they do a tour and cash in on Eagles nostalgia.  

Later on I had to bite my tongue when he told me Phil Collins was his favorite of all time, because Phil Collins is a douchebag AND his music sucks.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 06:55:58 pm
I love love love this song's guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaYXwoXpeM) but most of their other stuff is not my cup of tea.

I've been defending the Eagles, I like them, but they're not one of my favorite bands.

Steely Dan however is.  Your Gold Teeth (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3708754446/).
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Dangermoose on September 18, 2009, 08:44:59 pm
I'm glad that my enjoyment of the music doesn't hinge on your opinion of it.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  I am likewise glad that my opinion of it doesn't hinge on your enjoyment!
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 18, 2009, 08:57:49 pm
i wonder why it annoys the crap out of me to see a band that has their drummer singing...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 18, 2009, 09:25:29 pm
I'm always confused by bands where the drummer writes the songs and sings.
Maybe because I can only write songs by figuring out the guitar part first?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Dangermoose on September 18, 2009, 09:49:35 pm
Maybe we are conditioned to generally expect a drummer to either be insane (Moon, Bonham) or spotlight-dodging (Watts) so when yer Phil Collins or whoever is all, 'hey guys, I'd like to sing a song I wrote for you -- and, and also drum it if that's alright' -- it's just odd.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 10:09:18 pm
it never occured to me that that dude's two favorite bands had lead singers who played the drums.  I'll have to find out what he thinks of Rare Earth.

Funny thing about Phil Collins is, I really dislike his music, but he's a really great drummer. 
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Choop on September 18, 2009, 10:47:08 pm
clapton: pre-1980, cool & good; post-1980, claptrap crap
steely dan: cool, usually good
eagles: claptrap crap
phil collins: it's a trap
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 18, 2009, 10:48:39 pm
Most of eric clapton's music is not my thing.
In high school I thought I really liked him, and listened to this Clapton Anthology thing my dad had.
and then I realized that I liked the first half, which was the Yardbirds and Cream stuff, and not really anything else.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: dejavroom on September 18, 2009, 10:59:26 pm
Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 19, 2009, 04:12:27 am
The best I ever saw of Phil Collins is when he toured with Eric Clapton and played the drums for him in '86 or '87. That melding worked out real well 'cause Phil mostly shut up and played.

Collins played drums on Robert Plant's first two albums and played in his band on Plant's first tour.  Dude can play the fuck out of the drums. 
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Doc on September 19, 2009, 06:27:58 am
The Clapton I've heard is through my mother so I tend to class it as being crass obvious emotional manipulation that I'll sing along to before I realise what I'm doing and shut it off in a fit of self loathing. I can't decide if this is because he actually was more of a constructed artist or whether it's just because it came from my parents and so seems overdone to me since I've heard it forever. I think the description I'd use for how I feel about Clapton is 'like Van Morrison if he was signed to Disney'.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: side_show on September 19, 2009, 01:46:29 pm
Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...

Dear god, yes.  They are embarrassing themselves.

To bring things vaguely back on topic:  I think when it comes to porn where people are denied their desires, it is actually called "this arch in Achewood." 
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: miles on September 19, 2009, 02:00:58 pm
Collins played drums on Robert Plant's first two albums and played in his band on Plant's first tour.  Dude can play the fuck out of the drums. 

Isn't he pretty well respected for his work with Genesis in the 70s?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 19, 2009, 06:00:39 pm
Quote
'like Van Morrison if he was signed to Disney'.

Oh man, wow. "Let it Rain" started playing in my head as I read this.

Van Morrison. Hm. Some of my friends love him, and I love him, because of exposure as a child. Others of my friends, whose parents did not listen to Van Morrison in their childhood, think that he is HORRIBLE.

Also, he wrote that song Gloria.
My roommate hates the Doors, which is weird because... I feel like I 100% understand how someone could hate the Doors, but I like them so much.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: miles on September 20, 2009, 06:21:52 pm
Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...

I hadn't heard much up until your post, but it had been mostly good. I guess it's pretty bad?

Either way I probably won't check it out. I lost interest after Vitalogy. Well, I really lost interest after Vs., because I went through this annoying phase in high school where I didn't think I could like contemporary bands that had signed to major labels. That ended when Built to Spill signed to Warner Bros., because I wasn't going to give up Built to Spill for some bullshit anti-corporate stance. But Vitalogy is the last album I really like.

Van Morrison. Hm. Some of my friends love him, and I love him, because of exposure as a child. Others of my friends, whose parents did not listen to Van Morrison in their childhood, think that he is HORRIBLE.

Astral Weeks is one of my favorite records ever. He can be pretty annoying though.

Oh and the Doors. Most of my friends with similar tastes hate them, and I get it too. But I really like LA Woman, and their first album.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 20, 2009, 09:19:41 pm
Yeah, the doors first album is soo good.  ill take a no comment on the others.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: Toaster on September 20, 2009, 11:41:47 pm
Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...

Oh, shit. I've got a story.

I hate Pearl Jam. Last week, I was listening to the radio, and I thought I was listening to Kings of Leon, who I love, but then the song ended and the DJ (is... that the right term?) said it was Pearl Jam, one of their brand new songs. I kinda blew a gasket and spend the next ten minutes attempting to rationalize my liking this song. In the end I decided that liking one of their songs wasn't a crime, and let myself off the hook.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2009, 12:02:27 am
Oh, shit. I've got a story.

I hate Pearl Jam. Last week, I was listening to the radio, and I thought I was listening to Kings of Leon, who I love, but then the song ended and the DJ (is... that the right term?) said it was Pearl Jam, one of their brand new songs. I kinda blew a gasket and spend the next ten minutes attempting to rationalize my liking this song. In the end I decided that liking one of their songs wasn't a crime, and let myself off the hook.

Ha ha, don't you hate it when that happens?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: theinevitable on September 21, 2009, 12:05:31 am
wait, is Kings of Leon drifting towards metal-ish-hard-rock, or is Pearl Jam getting dancey, or am I confusing Kings of Leon with some other band??
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2009, 12:12:45 am
Pearl Jam's first album was completely written before Eddie Vedder joined the band.  It's a great album.  Vedder quickly exerted his control over the band and they started sucking as a result.  It took a couple more albums before he had totally ruined them.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2009, 02:10:39 am
This reminds me of something I saw on Twitter from hotdogsladies: Something my pal Jonathan taught me: 1. Sing "Evenflow!" like Eddie Vedder 2. Now, instead sing, "Trader Joe's!" 3. Now, try to stop.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: lprkn on September 21, 2009, 02:28:47 am
...shit
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2009, 03:33:17 pm
Shouldn't that be posted in the Earworms thread?