The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 25, 2009, 05:39:30 pm
-
Which Cheers character are you?
Lots of new "regulars" around here these days. If you don't mind, please take a moment and tell us a little bit about yourself.
About me..., well, I think I'm probably a Norm of the board. I'm generally well liked I think. Friendly, self effacing, like to be around other people. A little bit doofus at times. Can be a fuck up too, but can always be counted on when I'm needed. Willing to make friends with anyone, even the Cliff Claven's of the world.
-
I am, without a doubt, Cliff. I try not to preface my comments with "Its a little known fact...", but I probably come off with that air. Also, I do not have a New England accent.
-
I think the Cheers angle may make introductions more difficult. The noobs may not have watched a lot of Cheers.
I have not watched a lot of cheers.
-
I dunno. Maybe some unholy amalgamation of Frasier Crane and Woody.
-
I am not a noob, but I have never watched Cheers. I have lived in Boston where I understand it took place, but that's it.
-
I've never watched "Cheers" also, but that's easy: I'm any of the drunk dudes that's either screaming mouthfuls of hostile nonsense at the ceiling or passed out on the counter (they have those, right?)
-
I am probably somewhere in-between Frasier and Cliff, I guess. Which probably isn't that good a description, yeah. How the hell do you sum yourself up in an introduction to new people? I dunno.
Generally liberal but in that blue-collar upper Midwest kinda way where the environment and such are nice but lets get on that all after we fix the economic inequity problems first. Agnostic but ethnically Catholic, sort of married to that as an identity the same way some Jewish ladies and fellas are non-observant but still value the idea of it as a cultural signifier. Grew up in rural northern New York state, live in the bottom-of-the-middle-class suburbs of Los Angeles. Worthless film/TV degree from Syracuse University. Tall, early thirties, male of Southern and Eastern European stock.
Love the hell out of baseball, love the hell out of prog rock. Prone to anxiety attacks, prone to engaging emotionally before engaging intellectually on a topic and getting into trouble because of it. I know just enough about nearly everything to have an opinion but not enough about most things than to have a marketable talent. Consider myself a writer but have gotten wedged into a strange day job situation so as to help my younger brother through some medical problems and most of that has stalled.
I also tend to ramble which is only amplified by the fact that I type very quickly. I am Mike, hello.
-
i have watched cheers, but i was young and probably more interested in g.i, joe, so i dont remember a lot of specifics about the people. like, i know enough that i understood and enjoyed the comic of when beef came back from the moon and his friends gave him the treat of a cheers themed 'welcome home' party.
i am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
i am a humble fellow who has been gaining confidence in the past 3-4 years. im a 20-something from mars, and i dont care. ( i actually do)
i finally started my post-HS education in june after becoming a 'displaced worker'.
i enjoy to express myself creatively(writing, drawing, etc), but i feel that i am not talented or driven enough to make a living at either.
i dont have a babymama, nor have i helped create any babies.
i am large in stature and fatter than i should be. i am also, half beaner and half cracker.
my hair is gorgeous.
i endeavor to be reliable and helpful,and i have been known to be "too damn nice", but thats another thing about me that i have been changing in the past 3 or 4 years.
im a taurus and a dog.
i like long walks in the forest, during the fall, especially, and i am a snuggle slut.
ISO SF NS ND
-
I'm like an unfunny Costanza. Oh, wait, Cheers?
-
My nickname in high school was Norm. I kid you not. One of my favorite high school memories is arriving at a basketball game late, and a guy in the student section stood up and yelled "It's Noooooorm!" Whereupon the whole section went "Noooooooorm!"
So. I like to cook. I like baseball. I have a wife and two little kids. I have a stuffed otter that looks just like Onstad's.
-
I'm an unpaid extra that happened to be walking by the sound stage while on vacation.
I'm the guy that was at the table over by the door in the episode where Sam bought a Volare.
-
I am not a noob, but I have never watched Cheers. I have lived in Boston where I understand it took place, but that's it.
I suppose in the context of this thread it is worth pointing out that this is a typical post for me, lamenting that I have no idea about some item of popular culture that is being discussed. I swear I am really not as out of touch as it seems. I think I typically claim that also.
-
Paul, this has turned out to be an excellent thread.
-
Can I be cousin Balki?
-
Can I be cousin Balki?
dont be redicoolos
-
I think the Cheers angle may make introductions more difficult. The noobs may not have watched a lot of Cheers.
I have not watched a lot of cheers.
Really? But that show is basically like treasure.
Seriously you guys. This thread has been up for like 3 days and nobody said this? You really dropped the ball.
-
I'm Jennifer, a cross between Cliff Claven and Rebecca Howe, for sure. Live in the beautiful Twin Cities, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. I'm a Capricorn and a rat. I also happen to love goats and rats; all animals, actually, with a big soft spot for squirrels and chickens. I'm 36 and act 23, with two furry 8-lb. children who occasionally bark. HI! Awesome to meet you all.
-
nICE intro Rebecca, I mean Jennifer. Welcome to the bar, er messageboard.
-
It took me a minute to think 'oh wait this is the one thread where that probably isn't spam'.
Hello Jennifer, what exactly is colocation hosting?
-
Hello Jennifer, what exactly is colocation hosting?
Whyyy are you asking that. Stop asking that. You don't need to know anything about that.
-
Whyyy are you asking that. Stop asking that. You don't need to know anything about that.
Hush you, I'm showing an interest in our new friend's place of business. It would do you some good to maybe show an interest in how a lady likes to spend her time.
-
I wonder... Is this new person a displaced assbar refugee?
-
I wonder... Is this new person a displaced assbar refugee?
i told her about the secret club. sorry guys. i was just sick of all the sausage around here.
-
I'm Jennifer, a cross between Cliff Claven and Rebecca Howe, for sure. Live in the beautiful Twin Cities, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. I'm a Capricorn and a rat. I also happen to love goats and rats; all animals, actually, with a big soft spot for squirrels and chickens. I'm 36 and act 23, with two furry 8-lb. children who occasionally bark. HI! Awesome to meet you all.
Whatever you do do not attempt to picture Rebeca and Cliff mating. It's... disturbing.
[edit: 8,200 posts. Oh. Oh God.]
-
Nooooo. Every time I think to check Lileks I wonder if I am going to read that Jasper is dead. He's really old. I have had a couple of imaginary internet pug friends die lately and I am kind of traumatized.
-
i told her about the secret club. sorry guys. i was just sick of all the sausage around here.
You get a can for that, but what'choo talkin' bout, there's lots of vag in here.
-
You can never have too much vag in a place.
-
I am not so much a character on Cheers, but I am sort of like the maudlin theme song in that I like to make people go all introspective, and believe in a balance of good and bad times.
I am a lady of the adult variety. I'm Canadian, although I'm not a fan of the bacon or the maple syrup. I do things with words - sometimes I get paid for it. Right now I get paid to organize a massive three day concert, and later to plan a bunch of tours. I also get paid to make art sometimes. I like telling and collecting stories. Sometimes I get paid to do that too.
-
Smells is awesome, and does really cool/badass things.
-
I'm not a fan of the bacon
GASP!!!
-
GASP!!!
Calm down, hoss. I think she means "not a fan of Canadian bacon". Context.
-
GASP!!!
He's got the vapours! Someone fetch some bacon-salts to bring him around.
-
I'm Canadian, although I'm not a fan of the bacon or the maple syrup.
Next she'll be telling us she's not a fan of the Tragically Hip.
-
Appropos of almost nothing, this reminds me of how if you are on the American side of the border, Moxy Fruvous was a cult jam act for people who both like harmonizing and politics and if you are on the Canadian side of the border, they are a one-hit wonder that everyone basically wanted to murder. On the short drive from Niagara Falls to Niagara Falls, this one little bit of reality-information changes and almost nothing else does but the currency and the idea of people without monocles having healthcare.
It has always fascinated me.
-
Next she'll be telling us she's not a fan of the Tragically Hip.
I used to post on a different message board, over at yahoo groups (shudder). One of the posters was from Canada and a huge Tragically Hip fan. I don't dislike "the Hip," but they don't blow me away either. When they came to Houston they played in a small club. I had to go if for no other reason than to brag to my Canadian Tragically Hip loving messageboard friend that I had seen them in such an intimate setting while all of her TH shows were at Maple Leaf Garden or wherever.
I'm pretty sure that every Canadian in the Greater Houston Area was at the show. I may have been the only Houstonian in the place. They were all pretty nice folk as I recall. The Hip were pretty damn good too.
-
I'm a Sloan man, myself.
-
You get a can for that, but what'choo talkin' bout, there's lots of vag in here.
not regular-like
-
Compared to most internet message-things, this place is practically a clambake.
Against real world standards, yes, a sausage party.
We ain't the real world, though.
-
Yeah - it's Canadian bacon that I'm not such a fan of, bacon in general is okay, though I wont be writing any love letters to it.
Moxy Fruvous wasn't a one hit wonder in my neck of the woods, but then maybe I was more musically enlightened than some? They had more than one album that got airplay, and had plenty of rotation on MuchMusic in their day, but I wasn't really all that into them.
I like the Tragically Hip, but I'm not a major fan or anything. I've heard they're better live, though I've never seen them perform.
Sloan is sort of okay in small doses, but I feel like all their songs sound the same.
Ash - there must be a place where all the lesbian hunters meet up on line. I don't want to search it, as I'm at work right now, but really. They've got to be out there somewhere.
-
Ash - there must be a place where all the lesbian hunters meet up on line. I don't want to search it, as I'm at work right now, but really. They've got to be out there somewhere.
The best part of this is just how many ways one can interpret "lesbian hunters"
-
On a lot of the film/media/sport boards I frequented, the only women at all were basically the small handful who are basically only there to scream "hey, I am the token lady, internet-flirt with me, I am not really interested in the topic all that must, I just really dig internet-attention that I cannot get in my real life for reasons explained and unexplained".
I find that the less one-topic-focused places are the less likely you are to deal with those and the more likely you are to be speaking with more ladies and with ladies who actually wanna talk about things. The attention-problem people, of both genders, tend to be attracted cult of personality boards. The ass-bar, of course, personifies that as it is literally run by the content creator.
-
Yeah - it's Canadian bacon that I'm not such a fan of, bacon in general is okay, though I wont be writing any love letters to it.
Moxy Fruvous wasn't a one hit wonder in my neck of the woods, but then maybe I was more musically enlightened than some? They had more than one album that got airplay, and had plenty of rotation on MuchMusic in their day, but I wasn't really all that into them.
I like the Tragically Hip, but I'm not a major fan or anything. I've heard they're better live, though I've never seen them perform.
Sloan is sort of okay in small doses, but I feel like all their songs sound the same.
In this post, Side_show can be summed up as thinking most things are pretty ok, but not awesome.
-
I guess I'm Lilith, in that you don't see me all that often.
-
I thought the Tragically Hip was a joke band name made up in the Scott Pilgrim books.
The only Moxy Fruvious song I know is 'love set fire' which I know from the mixdisc V did ages ago and still totally love.
-
The best part of this is just how many ways one can interpret "lesbian hunters"
Yet there is only one way to give a tcdp.
-
In this post, Side_show can be summed up as thinking most things are pretty ok, but not awesome.
This also sums up my attitude about Canada most of the time, so, yes.
-
Is that not also the classic Canadian attitude about everything?
-
I think I am probably most like Frasier, only a little less snobby and much more clumsy and shy.
I am a 25 year old gal currently in college. I grew up in Michigan and am a huge fan of snowstorms, which means I'm disappointed for most of the winter now that I'm at school in Ohio. I'm majoring in psychology and hoping to go into psycholinguistics, eventually. I haven't figured out where I'm going to grad school yet, though.
I like to read (both fiction and non), my favorites being Joyce and Faulkner. I also like to write, but only academic stuff (I am terrible at pretty much all creative writing, especially poetry). I also like to ride my bike and run.
I used to hang around assetbar, but decided to step over here because it seemed like a friendlier posting environment. I felt like people there had the tendency to badger and gang up on each other at only the slightest provocation.
Anyway, pleased to meet all of you. You seem like a good crowd.
-
Another assbar refugee. Welcome aboard Sardonic Colonic!
-
I wonder... Is this new person a displaced assbar refugee?
Yes *shame* I am. And this place seems much less assy already.
-
Welcome, both of you.
-
Hush you, I'm showing an interest in our new friend's place of business. It would do you some good to maybe show an interest in how a lady likes to spend her time.
Is it OK that I am completely confused in re: the colocation hosting question? ??? Did some spam sneak in?
But hey, if you're willing to pay, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear about how I spend my time. $5 a minute, $7 to hear it narrated and sent as a .mp3. I can also sell you some Canadian Viagra or Cialis, cheap. Weight loss pills? Got those too.
-
Every time I think to check Lileks
Squeee! I am delighted that others know about our little gem of a writer. I may not agree with his politics, but wow, do I love reading his stuff.
Also, Wombat, I present to you: Jasper's head, on next to a pillow.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/3169499448_8eef04da2c.jpg)
-
That is a fine offering for Wombat, as her favorite photography subject is Pugs Resting their Chins On Things, and while Jasper is clearly not a pug, he understands the spirit of the thing.
-
Squeee! I am delighted that others know about our little gem of a writer. I may not agree with his politics, but wow, do I love reading his stuff.
Many of us (me included) first discovered Achewood when Lileks linked to it. Although I had to stop reading his stuff many years ago.
-
I also came to it originally via Lileks. I have no idea how I found Lileks, and I often wonder about that, because I have spent so much time here that it's kind of like not remembering who introduced you to your spouse or something. It certainly wasn't because of his politics, although, odd thing, what both Lileks and this board taught me in my adult life is that you can like someone even if their politics makes you want to punch them in the snout.
-
Is it OK that I am completely confused in re: the colocation hosting question? ??? Did some spam sneak in?
But hey, if you're willing to pay, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear about how I spend my time. $5 a minute, $7 to hear it narrated and sent as a .mp3. I can also sell you some Canadian Viagra or Cialis, cheap. Weight loss pills? Got those too.
I think you'll fit in just fine here... just smile if someone offers you giraffe placenta.
I was checking where your e-mail went to try and figure out if you were a spam bot or not and the domain it goes to is a company that specialises in colocation services. Which I didn't know about. Wiki kind of fixed that but it still sounds like an odd thing to specialise in.
I also came to it originally via Lileks. I have no idea how I found Lileks, and I often wonder about that, because I have spent so much time here that it's kind of like not remembering who introduced you to your spouse or something. It certainly wasn't because of his politics, although, odd thing, what both Lileks and this board taught me in my adult life is that you can like someone even if their politics makes you want to punch them in the snout.
This is Wombat by the way, you can tell it's her because she is speaking wisdom.
-
I too found Achewood via Lileks. How did I find Lileks? Hmm, good question. I'm not sure, but I think it may have been via Playboy magazine. The old print edition used to have a what's happening online section. I think they may have linked to Lileks section devoted to Art Frahm (http://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html).
-
Well I can be sure it wasn't Playboy, as much as that narrows it down.
I wonder if maybe it was Chowhound, somehow? That would be appropriate, what with Achewood being the only comic with its own cookbook and all. I don't know if Lileks ever posted there but maybe someone mentioned his important historic work on horrifying midcentury food. (http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html)
-
I've added a poll, how did you find TOUAMB?
-
I found Achewood via www.cardhouse.com linking to the Strip Club strips, with Ray putting the dollars under his eyelids.
I then read the entire back catalog. I also lurked and posted a couple times on the Dumbrella boards (under the name Thumbwrestler). But maaaan, I generally can't stand internet comments or message boards, so I quickly bored with Dumbrellaboards.
Later I found Touamb via a Google search for some Achewood dialogue. I lurked for a bit, and then registered, but not as my usual internet moniker. I created a unique one based on my first/last name since I had BAD BLOOD and INTERNET FISTICUFFS with Bobby Isosceles elsewhere. Interaction with him made me realize that I had been a cock to him unfairly.
Everything after that is sweet man hugs.
For him. Not you. Don't be gross.
-
I know I'm a little late to the welcoming party; but welcome to the assbar diaspora, all and sundry!
I know that I discovered Achewood in '02 (Beef goes to the moon). As to how I found it exactly, I'm not sure. It may have been linked from another webcomic (QC?), as I was on quite a webcomic tear at that point. Hell, it may have been the result of a google "webcomic" search for all I know. Anyway, it definitely tickled me in all of the right places. I found touamb shortly thereafter, but never worked up the gumption/effort to join until 2006.
It's been a bed of roses ever since.
-
Matt from Mac Hall (http://www.machall.com) was an Achewood fan back in the days of the GOF. He linked to Achewood.com when the monster trucks made an appearance. I figured some sort of messageboard had to be devoted to such coolness. Been here since. Matt and Ian have since moved to San Francisco (from Bowling Green University where MacDonald Hall was the setting for their original webcomic) and now produce Three Panel Soul (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/).
-
I am/was a fan of both of those comics.
-
I too found Achewood via Lileks.
Thank you thank you THANK YOU to all of you who posted that you found Achewood through Lileks! I have seriously been racking my brain trying to remember how I stumbled upon this circus of the damned to begin with, after becoming friends on assetbar with greenkoolayd, who just started reading in May. I was all like, hah, I rock, I've been reading since '02 or early '03, but then I stopped short...how did I find it? HOW DID I FIND
ACHEWOOD??? It's been bugging me for nearly a month! And now, the lightbulb has gone on, and I can sleep again. *whew!*
-
I was checking where your e-mail went to try and figure out if you were a spam bot or not and the domain it goes to is a company that specialises in colocation services.
AHA! That explains it. Yeah, Black Hole Internet is a tiny little company that has been my ISP for literally 12 years. They are OLD SCHOOL. I have no idea how they stay in business. Good lord, after having the same email address for a dozen years, you don't even want to know the amount of spam I get. They're kind of old school that way, too, in that they don't really have great spam filtering.
-
Thank you thank you THANK YOU to all of you who posted that you found Achewood through Lileks! I have seriously been racking my brain trying to remember how I stumbled upon this circus of the damned to begin with, after becoming friends on assetbar with greenkoolayd, who just started reading in May. I was all like, hah, I rock, I've been reading since '02 or early '03, but then I stopped short...how did I find it? HOW DID I FIND
ACHEWOOD??? It's been bugging me for nearly a month! And now, the lightbulb has gone on, and I can sleep again. *whew!*
TOUAMB: Curing insomnia in noobs since 2009.
-
A friend of mine pointed Achewood out to me and then, after the archive binge, I internet-searched for related or ancillary sites.
And found this place.
God. What a boring secret origin.
-
"top 10 webcomics" on cracked.com
-
A friend of mine pointed Achewood out to me and then, after the archive binge, I internet-searched for related or ancillary sites.
And found this place.
God. What a boring secret origin.
I have the exact same story and based on the time we joined it happened at like the exact same time.
And our usernames deal with mets. And we are not the same person, does that make it better?
-
I think I found it through Websnark, I think. Not really sure.
More interestingly, how do people find TOUAMB now that there's no link off achewood itself?
-
I first found achewood based on this Penny Arcade post (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2002/8/30/). What's weird is that I didn't like it much at the time due to Onstad's disdain for punctuation at the time, but it still intrigued me enough to make the comics bookmark list.
The Dumbrella boards never really clicked with me, so I never registered, and then suddenly the boards were all gone, and I was like, "where did they go?" Then, later, I finally googled it when Onstad never posted a new link to boards and decided to hang around. I lurked for a while -- my first post was basically eulogizing my cat, which in retrospect is kind of weird.
That said, I tend to only post here when my internet orbit intersects with this site's orbit, which appears to happen right around when Football does. Hmm.
(Edited because Paul was right and 2002 was a long time ago)
-
how do people find TOUAMB now that there's no link off achewood itself?
There has never been a link on Achewood to TOUAMB.
-
it was linked from some other comic, and at first I didn't like it...
I think I read through the archives twice (!?) before I got into it.
At first my best friend also read it, but he got bored of it.
If/when I read through again I'll probably remember what was the first strip I read.
I do remember that I had registered for TOUAMB like a year before I started posting, and that when I got rid of my old email address I lost the password to my TOUAMB account. So I had to wait until some sort of shindig where Jough cleaned out a bunch of old users? I don't remember exactly how this happened.
I used to read a lot of webcomics, but these days I only read achewood.
-
There has never been a link on Achewood to TOUAMB.
Onstad told me about it on AIM, back in the days before he registered for an account here ("monotremes love an oil salad") and before he moved on to A Cap for secret man love.
-
Onstad told me about it on AIM, back in the days before he registered for an account here ("monotremes love an oil salad") and before he moved on to A Cap for secret man love.
Ennis Del Mar: [crying] Well, why don't you? Why don't you just let me be? It's because of you Jack, that I'm like this! I'm nothin'... I'm nowhere... Get the fuck off me! I can't stand being like this no more, Jack.
-
There has never been a link on Achewood to TOUAMB.
You sure? I swear there used to be a 'forum' in the top left hand corner, or maybe down the bottom under the news. Or maybe I'm confabulating now. This leads to the next logical question of how the hell I found TOUAMB?
edit: The wayback machine proves Paul right (unsurprisingly) so how the hell did I find this place?
-
I am woody harrelson, in the movie Natural Born Killers.
-
well, we used to be in the top 5 for googles of "achewood"
as of right FU*KING now we're #10
-
Hmm, at least we are on the first page, but it's close. Damn, a link to xkcd parody week really shouldn't be ahead of us.
-
The little I know about search engine optimization tells me that the content of the page needs to match the content of the tags. I guess we need to talk about Achewood more.
Achewood! Achewood! Achewood!
-
Achewood is as Achewood does.
-
Also, Achewood related sites need to link to us.
Someone revive the wiki!
-
Jasper got some medicines lately to address bladder control and joint pain and is doing swell. Our boy James has kicked his own pant seat for not doing this sooner.
Noooo! I told you so:
Dog to the vet tomorrow. Had the talk with daughter. This could go either way, I suspect.
-
Noooo! I told you so:
Oh....this is sad. Poor Jasper-dog. Poor Child.
-
How old is he?
-
James says quit worrying...
(http://lileks.com/bleat/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/goodnews.jpg)
What font is that
-
That is the DOG IS NOT DEAD YET font, that's all I need to know.
-
That dog should be wearing a party hat.
I'm not sure why.
-
Do you like my hat?
No. No I do not like that hat.
-
August West for the win.