The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 04:49:17 pm

Title: Holiday Music
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 04:49:17 pm
What are some of your favorite holiday recordings?

I'm a huge fan of Eurythmics' "Winter Wonderland" and Bon Jovi's "Please Come Home for Christmas."

Also: "Santa Claus and His Old Lady" (Cheech and Chong) and the perennial favorite, "Alice's Restaurant." 
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: CortJstr on December 04, 2009, 05:39:51 pm
My roommate 2nd year listened to Alice's Restaurant once. I'd never heard it before or since and I'm perfectly happy with this arrangement.

I usually listen to Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses once or twice in December.

I listen to Santa's Beard by TMBG whenever so that's not really holiday music.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 04, 2009, 05:40:53 pm
I hate them all except for Nat King Cole.  "The Christmas Song" and "O Holy Night" FTW.  (when did I become 75 years old?)

Also, the biggest fuck*ng fail ever belongs to Dominic the Christmas Donkey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrdxtWgHbE[/url).  Watch only if you want to rip your own eardrums out by their roots.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: TedStriker on December 04, 2009, 05:48:11 pm
"Merry Christmas From The Family" by Robert Earl Keen is every bit the drunken romp that the title implies.

Love him or hate him, Sufjan Stevens' Christmas box set is pretty unbeatable.  Funky takes on old standards, plus new material that's alternately haunting and joyous.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 04, 2009, 06:04:49 pm
giraffebone's "Slick Nick You Devil You" is my favorite.  Also partial to Death Cab's version of "Christmas Baby Please Come Home." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Yxq4QEkUE)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 04, 2009, 06:15:03 pm
Aimee Mann's album "One More Drifter In the Snow" is my Christmas cd this year. Specifically "Calling On Mary". Also I have depression.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: rowboat on December 04, 2009, 06:17:02 pm
A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zudVvBEB4) is still the only really good Christmas album I've ever heard, though David Bowie and Bing Crosby's "Little Drummer Boy" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMhSjDqvRs) and, of course, Jingle Cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LqRl7tqf4&feature=fvw) bear mention.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Choop on December 04, 2009, 07:34:26 pm
http://www.8bitchristmas.com/
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 04, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
David Bowie and Bing Crosby's "Little Drummer Boy"

Aaargh, I'm mad at myself for forgetting that one.  It's a beautiful song.  Does anyone else get the feeling that Bing was staring at this androgynous mod wondering what the hell the world was coming to? 
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 04, 2009, 07:54:33 pm
The Bob Dylan Christmas album

The Ringo Starr Christmas album

and the greatest Christmas song of all time: Takin' Care of Christmas by Randy Bachman
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 08:04:50 pm
I just downloaded a duet between Wyclef Jean and Stevie Wonder singing "Merry Christmas, Baby."

Epic.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2009, 03:03:01 am
TSO is pretty epic.

also, why come nobody ever told me andrea bocelli is blind?
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: rowboat on December 05, 2009, 03:03:37 am
Fuck. How could I have forgotten "Christmas in Hollis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0xWdoQJxMM)?" What have I become?
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Choop on December 05, 2009, 04:48:08 am
why come nobody ever told me andrea bocelli is blind?

she is?
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2009, 05:25:48 am
she is?

[[snicker]]
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2009, 05:36:51 am
Well played.  I had a coworker from Italy named Andreas who was neither female nor plural.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2009, 10:47:55 pm
Well played.  I had a coworker from Italy named Andreas who was neither female nor plural.

strange name for a dude?  alexis.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: theinevitable on December 05, 2009, 11:53:27 pm
wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Mr Trout on December 06, 2009, 12:04:50 am
wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.

Here I was not participating because I hate all Christmas music, and here you've gone and found an exception that completely slipped my mind. Now I need to go find this.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2009, 02:13:15 am
This has been in my head all day long. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLZ8LPIh4Xc)   At first I was a little dubious about the idea of a Bob Dylan Christmas album, but then I figured, hey, if Irving Berlin can do it, why can't Bob?

I love the way he says "Ho Ho Ho".  Actually, I pretty much love the whole dang song.  You go Bob Dylan.  You rock on with your bad self.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2009, 03:03:28 am
ok, seriously.
this song makes me want to cry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPG3zSgm_Qo)
this song was enough of a part of my childhood that I wonder if maybe the reason I think Chrismastime is sad is because of this song.

mostly it brings up childhood memories of crying the day after christmas when all of my relatives left my house. I normally only see them once a year, and I would be so overstimulated for a few days while my house was full of yelling kids and grandparents who wanted me to tell them about everything I knew and nobody had work and presents and food and then, suddenly everyone was gone, and everything felt horrible. All of the anticipation was gone and I was lonely in my house with presents that didn't look like they did on the box.

Since college my christmas-time song has been this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UX8VZgPBp0), though. It reminds me of a time freshman year when it snowed, and I got off the phone with my long-distance girlfriend, telling her about how cold and horrible it was, and then listened to this song on the way to the library to study for a final.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2009, 04:01:25 am
I really love this song (http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/What+I+Really+Want+For+Christmas/9983890).  I think it's primarily the melody that gets me, but it really gets me in the gut when he sings "please no more list, send no more gifts."  Dang, Brian Wilson still wields a lot of magic.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: miles on December 07, 2009, 12:08:13 am
I hate them all except for Nat King Cole.  "The Christmas Song" and "O Holy Night" FTW.  (when did I become 75 years old?)

My xmas music collection consists of a Nat King Cole CD, a few others from like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and this:

wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.

This doesn't make you old, bluemoon, but classy.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 07, 2009, 02:52:19 am
My xmas music collection consists of a Nat King Cole CD, a few others from like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and this:

This doesn't make you old, bluemoon, but classy.

I was shamed when Inev mentioned Vince Guaraldi's CD, because that is equally as good as King Cole's.  I pretty much have those two plus a couple of Bing songs on my iPod, and that is truly Christmas to me.  A toast to the classics, miles and Inev!
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Choop on December 07, 2009, 06:14:07 am
no christmas music collection is complete without a little esquivel (http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Xmas-Space-Age-Bachelor-Pad/dp/B0000048EZ)

frosty the snowman adds a batusi flavor that is the foam to your party's macchiato
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 07, 2009, 06:27:58 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 07, 2009, 12:01:46 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw)

Man, what was with all the inappropriate laughter from the crowd on that?
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: slink on December 07, 2009, 04:02:00 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw)

A can for that, sir. Now I feel christmasy, in that way that makes you pour another glass of whiskey.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: robot_god on December 10, 2009, 04:10:43 am
I wanted to write a whole album of electronic christmas music, but I only really finished one song last year, O Holy Night.  It's basically the only song on my myspace, www.myspace.com/acidlung
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2009, 02:10:18 am
fuck*ng is better than Killing (http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Twas+The+Night+Before+Christmas/3619647)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 15, 2009, 04:22:17 am
fuck*ng is better than Killing (http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Twas+The+Night+Before+Christmas/3619647)

that guys voice is annoying...
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 16, 2009, 04:09:28 am
Suck it, "The Christmas Shoes!" (http://www.nerdist.com/2009/12/suck-it-the-christmas-shoes/)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2009, 04:23:28 am
No Christmas song is more horrible than that goddamned "Christmas Wrapping" song about the love-lorn hipster chick who is skipping Christmas and... oh Christ, it hurts to even explain the concept.

I love the hell out of Christmas but the one good thing about it being over is not hearing that song again for another 11 months.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Choop on December 16, 2009, 04:33:03 am
i don't know that song lfm but you just reminded me of this animated patton oswalt rant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY) (did i see this in the youtube thread?)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2009, 04:39:38 am
It's this... monstrosity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEztz6nY9Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEztz6nY9Q)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 16, 2009, 04:54:08 am
I still think "Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey" is far worse.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrdxtWgHbE

Chingedy ching (hee-haw, hee-haw)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Drygioni on December 16, 2009, 05:09:37 am
What the fuckin' fuck LFM? That's about the only Christmas song bar Fairytale of New York I can actually listen to any other time of year and actually enjoy musically.

Concept's a bit hackneyed but the song's basically just like if Blondie had released a Christmas song circa Eat To The Beat, surely not that offensive? Unless you really dislike Blondie type stuff I suppose. Still though I find it hard to understand anyone calling it a monstrosity.

My contribution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo)

That little horn melody is imprinted on the mind of every British person, ever

It's a pretty interesting one really, it's a harmless very Christmassy-sounding (despite not being intended as a 'Christmas song') ditty but with fairly dark, longing lyrics expressing the universal longing of soldiers to be with their loved ones.

'Mary Bradley waits at home, in the nuclear fall out zone...'
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2009, 06:23:20 am
I cannot escape that song. It follows me like a curse.

I don't know what to tell you. The first dozen times I thought it was cute in a bland way.

On listen two million, oh man. Oh man.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Drygioni on December 16, 2009, 12:37:59 pm
I cannot escape that song. It follows me like a curse.

I don't know what to tell you. The first dozen times I thought it was cute in a bland way.

On listen two million, oh man. Oh man.

Sounds serious. I'll let you off.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2009, 01:56:29 pm
No Christmas song is more horrible than that goddamned "Christmas Wrapping" song about the love-lorn hipster chick who is skipping Christmas and... oh Christ, it hurts to even explain the concept.

I love the hell out of Christmas but the one good thing about it being over is not hearing that song again for another 11 months.

I find that song catchy and mentioned as one of the few I can stand back on page 1.

I also just realized that I haven't heard the Blink-182 christmas song in like 8 years. This is probably for the best.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2009, 02:28:20 pm
My contribution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo)

That little horn melody is imprinted on the mind of every British person, ever

It's a pretty interesting one really, it's a harmless very Christmassy-sounding (despite not being intended as a 'Christmas song') ditty but with fairly dark, longing lyrics expressing the universal longing of soldiers to be with their loved ones.

'Mary Bradley waits at home, in the nuclear fall out zone...'

Now that is interesting.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: jay-ell on December 16, 2009, 02:35:49 pm
My contribution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo)

That little horn melody is imprinted on the mind of every British person, ever

It's a pretty interesting one really, it's a harmless very Christmassy-sounding (despite not being intended as a 'Christmas song') ditty but with fairly dark, longing lyrics expressing the universal longing of soldiers to be with their loved ones.

'Mary Bradley waits at home, in the nuclear fall out zone...'

Which, in turn, makes me think of Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdrMOttV_s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdrMOttV_s)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2009, 05:00:05 pm
Which, in turn, makes me think of Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdrMOttV_s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdrMOttV_s)

Christmas at Ground Zero rules!!!!!
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2009, 05:09:23 pm
I really like a couple of British Christmas songs from the 70s that were never really hits here in America and I only started hearing about 10 years ago.

Merry Christmas Everybody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA)

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjWrdt4jlY)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Drygioni on December 16, 2009, 10:47:35 pm
I really like a couple of British Christmas songs from the 70s that were never really hits here in America and I only started hearing about 10 years ago.

Merry Christmas Everybody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA)

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjWrdt4jlY)

I have heard these many times a day for weeks now and will continue to do so until Christmas Day itself but they're so quintessentially CHRISTMAS that it just becomes part of the atmosphere, part of the December weather, part of the feeling of Christmas. They transcend concepts of music as a piece of noise consisting of a melody, a rhythm and all the associated periphery, they're just part of you for a certain time of the year.

As such, I don't tire of them.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2009, 11:40:58 pm
I have heard these many times a day for weeks now and will continue to do so until Christmas Day itself but they're so quintessentially CHRISTMAS that it just becomes part of the atmosphere, part of the December weather, part of the feeling of Christmas. They transcend concepts of music as a piece of noise consisting of a melody, a rhythm and all the associated periphery, they're just part of you for a certain time of the year.

As such, I don't tire of them.

And I feel the same way about the many American Christmas Standards.  They are just a part of the atmosphere.  It's impossible to separate them from the season so why try.  Many of them I actually enjoy as music anyway even if I have heard them so many times there is nothing more to be gained from another hearing.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 17, 2009, 05:43:46 am
i found myself enjoying that mariah carey christmas jam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bo4VDEH-U)

also:

ive been finding the song by tim mcgraw and daughter really touching, lately.  for good, or for ill.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 17, 2009, 05:53:48 am
All right here it is everyone get ready

Takin' Care of Christmas by Randy Bachman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iJuRHN_Z4)
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2009, 06:04:06 am
Takin' Care of Christmas by Randy Bachman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iJuRHN_Z4)

That was pretty dreadful.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: jaydub on December 19, 2009, 01:18:58 am
I cant descide tic rtht animated santa help sor defrteif ct fromt eh quality iof the song
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 19, 2009, 01:31:15 am
I cant descide tic rtht animated santa help sor defrteif ct fromt eh quality iof the song

"I can't describe the tic that animated santa helped the sore deaf thief cut from his quality hoof stone."
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Drygioni on December 19, 2009, 01:47:13 am
I cant descide tic rtht animated santa help sor defrteif ct fromt eh quality iof the song

You're a scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot.
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: jaydub on December 19, 2009, 02:33:05 am
Eff voff you sheep shagging pom

Kisses
-jw
Title: Re: Holiday Music
Post by: Drygioni on December 21, 2009, 04:30:57 am
Eff voff you sheep shagging pom

Kisses
-jw


Sheep shagger? You're thinking of Wales or possibly Derbyshire, I hail from neither.

Where I'm from we prefer our sisters.