The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on January 25, 2010, 02:54:57 am

Title: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on January 25, 2010, 02:54:57 am
So, I have a birthday coming up, and my spouse tells me that my wish list, in his words, "sucks." It contains nine items, including a couple of aprons, an art print, and some knitting paraphernalia. Also a gift card to a local day spa. Those of you who know my real name can look it up on Amazon.com.

So what do I want? You guys probably know me as well as anyone, and I'm certain you all have some ideas for quirky, fun, or useful items that would suit me. So bring 'em on.

I'm looking for 5 - 10 items in the $10 - $50 price range that my brother, parents, and in-laws will understand and be able to either find locally at a big-box store or purchase online without too much difficulty. Bonus points for practicality and good design.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 25, 2010, 04:30:46 am
t-shirts:

nerd fetish (http://www.zazzle.com/i_have_a_raging_nerd_fetish_tshirt-235079503778206916)
i gave my word (http://www.bustedtees.com/gavemyword)
we built this city (http://www.bustedtees.com/webuiltthiscity)
i choo choo choose you (http://www.bustedtees.com/ichoochoo)

if you think silly t-shirts are juvenile and lame, thats ok.

yarn holder (http://behindbllueeyes.com/theoriginalcrochetthreadandyarnholders.aspx)
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2010, 05:43:58 am
the idea of needing to be able to find gifts your relatives will "understand" gets hell of canned.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2010, 01:53:02 pm
the idea of needing to be able to find gifts your relatives will "understand" gets hell of canned.

My ex's mom said the NewsRadio DVDs were the greatest thing ever created. Simply because they were the only item on my wishlist she had ever heard of. Every other thing she bought she had no idea what she was ordering and just hoped whatever arrived was the right thing.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2010, 01:57:12 pm
My ex's mom said the NewsRadio DVDs were the greatest thing ever created. Simply because they were the only item on my wishlist she had ever heard of.

That and the whole "Funniest Sitcom in the last 20 years" thing.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2010, 02:31:11 pm
That and the whole "Funniest Sitcom in the last 20 years" thing.

Not that I'm arguing but have you seen Spaced w/ Simon Pegg? If you liked NR you should really enjoy this, also.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Choop on January 25, 2010, 03:54:47 pm
i loved spaced and never really enjoyed newsradio for more than a couple minutes of phil hartman. andy dick just washed all the goodtimes away, and dave foley was the opposite of charismatic.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2010, 04:10:18 pm
and dave foley was the opposite of charismatic.

You shut your whore ass mouth
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2010, 04:24:56 pm
You shut your whore ass mouth

THIS
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Choop on January 25, 2010, 04:55:06 pm
hey hey now back off fellas, i liked dave when he was a kid in a hall. i just wasn't amused by him on newsradio. or anything else he's done since the kids split up.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2010, 05:28:00 pm
hey hey now back off fellas, i liked dave when he was a kid in a hall. i just wasn't amused by him on newsradio. or anything else he's done since the kids split up.

About 3 years ago I was playing a game with some friends, boys vs. girls. The game posed a question and the person who was it had to figure out which answer corresponded with which player. One question was "Which TV character are you most like?" or something to that effect. All 4 guys playing answered "Dave from NewsRadio"
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on January 25, 2010, 05:31:17 pm
I cannot watch News Radio because I despise Andy Dick with a violent passion. I watched it a little when it was on, and it was OK, but now I just get sad whenever I see Phil Hartman.

Also, I have a lot of television to watch via Netflix, and I already have all 7 seasons of Buffy and all 5 seasons of Quantum Leap. So I think TV on DVD is sort of out.

Mom's just offered to finish our bathroom renovations (on hold due to money issues) for my birthday, so that might solve one problem if Pedro will let me tear up the bathroom again so soon.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on January 25, 2010, 07:44:46 pm
A customised balaclava/scarf/necktie/bandana/handkerchief?

Yes please I hear you say!

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/customized.php (http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/customized.php)

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/product-info/ways-to-wear.php (http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/product-info/ways-to-wear.php) Watch the 'Original' Buff video to see if it's any use
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on January 26, 2010, 02:37:17 pm
I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 26, 2010, 07:58:38 pm
I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.

dont ask them.  ask someone more accommodating.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on January 26, 2010, 09:28:37 pm
Secret Santa?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 26, 2010, 10:00:53 pm
Secret Santa?

if you cant wait until next Christmas, start dropping hints for Mothers Day.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on January 28, 2010, 05:42:32 pm
I would just ask for Judy, gift-wrapped, but something tells me my in-laws wouldn't approve.

Don't worry love. I'll come for free  ;)
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2010, 08:04:52 pm
*blush*
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on February 01, 2010, 05:26:18 pm
So, sister-in-law settled on a spa gift card, and parents are probably going to give us money and labor towards finishing the bathroom remodel. In-laws are still a wild card, but I can always ask for knitting books. BFF has a Plan in Motion, apparently, and nobody else buys me stuff, which suits me fine.

Pedro, however, has given me an option: He was initially planning on taking me to a hockey game, but now is considering a Led Zeppelin tribute concert. Has anyone ever been to a tribute band show?

Zep is my favorite band ever, but being too young to have ever seen them for reals, I'm wondering if this kind of thing is worthwhile, or what. I can literally count on one hand the number of concerts I've been to in my life, so I'm hoping you experienced concert goers and music aficionados can help me out here. The specific band is "Get the Led Out (http://www.gtlorocks.com/)," if that matters.

Thoughts?

Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 06:08:31 pm
A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Choop on February 01, 2010, 08:09:47 pm
i saw a beatles tribute band last fall, decent show, wouldn't bother again.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: bluemoon72 on February 01, 2010, 08:19:45 pm
A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.

Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 08:35:25 pm
Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 

Yes, but are they all-female?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: bluemoon72 on February 01, 2010, 08:39:52 pm
Yes, but are they all-female?

Sadly, no.  :(
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: AugustWest on February 01, 2010, 08:57:52 pm
Here in the Twin Cities we have both "Zed Leppelin" and "Dread Zeppelin," and they rawk. 

And they come from the land of the ice and snow!
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 09:49:16 pm
And they come from the land of the ice and snow!

Is that anywhere near the land of wind and ghosts? Is it easily commutable?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on February 02, 2010, 01:13:58 am
I saw this Zeppelin tribute act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_and_Plant) back in '95-ish. Meh.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2010, 01:31:21 am
A friend was just telling me about when she saw Lez Zeppelin. She wasn't impressed.

I wonder if this was when my friend (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4323356766/) was with them?  She only sang for them about 6 months.

Pedro, however, has given me an option: He was initially planning on taking me to a hockey game, but now is considering a Led Zeppelin tribute concert. Has anyone ever been to a tribute band show?

Zep is my favorite band ever, but being too young to have ever seen them for reals, I'm wondering if this kind of thing is worthwhile, or what. I can literally count on one hand the number of concerts I've been to in my life, so I'm hoping you experienced concert goers and music aficionados can help me out here. The specific band is "Get the Led Out (http://www.gtlorocks.com/)," if that matters.

Thoughts?

Personally I would probably pass on this particular Led Zeppelin tribute band for a couple of reasons.  I think a tribute band should strive to recreate the concert experience of the band they are paying tribute to.  This band fails in that regard.

Zep is tricky for a band to cover because they played their songs radically different on stage.  This band has obviously chosen to go the sound exactly like the studio recordings route.  To this end they've added a 2nd guitarist and a keyboard player.  Beyond that they don't look much like Zep and their stage mannerisms aren't very Zeplike either. 

But if seeing a band doing letter perfect covers of Zep tunes sounds good to you then by all means this band can definitely do that.

I saw this Zeppelin tribute act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_and_Plant) back in '95-ish. Meh.

Ha!  I had tickets to see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9DBxjo_Ow) Zep cover band, but it canceled at the last minute because the lead guitarist had back pains.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on February 02, 2010, 01:37:25 am
I think a tribute band should strive to recreate the concert experience of the band they are paying tribute to.  This band fails in that regard.

I dunno. Their haircuts seem bad enough.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 02, 2010, 03:00:13 am
I have never seen a cover band and... just for my taste... I don't know what I would get out of seeing just a straight-up cover band.

I mean, I dunno, if I like a group that isn't touring anymore, I'll probably get the most I'd ever get out of them by just buying their live album or concert film, yeah?

But recontextualization sounds more fun. An all-girl cover of an all-dude band, for example, I'd go see that.

It has long been my dream to see Neil Young front a Johnny Cash cover band.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on February 02, 2010, 03:26:09 pm
I have never seen a cover band and... just for my taste... I don't know what I would get out of seeing just a straight-up cover band.

I mean, I dunno, if I like a group that isn't touring anymore, I'll probably get the most I'd ever get out of them by just buying their live album or concert film, yeah?

Nonsense

It's brilliant hearing your band's music just as how it should be played in a live setting, live music with instruments etc. is infinitely superior to even the best concert film. Apart from Stop Making Sense. Try it!

Also enough with the many many many... y'know... ellipseseseseses


Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2010, 03:39:15 pm
I can never decide what to think about this. On the one hand, a cover band seems like a lame idea. On the other hand, we don't think it's not worth hearing a live performance of, say, Mozart just because it's not performed by Mozart himself, right?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on February 03, 2010, 01:05:30 am
Right, but a Mozart "tribute act" could be kind of weird. Also it's different because there are no recordings of Mozart. But you're right, even a composer recent enough to have been recorded performing his own work, and for people still alive today to have seen him, like Stravinsky, will have his work performed live by others long after we're all dead.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on February 03, 2010, 01:27:01 am
The only people disliking cover bands here are the ones who haven't been.

If you go to a decent one that is covering a band you love I GA RON TEE you will enjoy it.


If you have a soul.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 03:31:44 am
I cannot imagine enjoying a cover band.

A band doing a cover of a song I like? yeah. I like that.
But a band where the whole thing is that they try really hard to be just like a different band? no way.

my friends and I occasionally get together and play Pixies songs, and it is always fun for like... an hour or two.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2010, 03:37:57 am
I can enjoy genre cover bands especially when they get totally into with with costume and stuff. Like The Legwamers in DC or Wonder Boogie in Vegas.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Choop on February 03, 2010, 04:10:16 am
or mini kiss
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: lprkn on February 03, 2010, 04:51:55 am
or Elviss (http://www.elvisssimmons.com/home.html)
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 03, 2010, 04:03:56 pm
I can enjoy a cover band, but the key is to not take it too seriously.  Inev.  No one is pretending that The Machine or Physical Graffiti are somehow geniuses.  But if you can let yourself go and say "Let's rock out to _________ for a bit," then yeah, WTFN.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on February 03, 2010, 11:12:23 pm
I cannot imagine enjoying a cover band.

THEN TRY IT FOR FUCK SAKE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO IMAGINE

If we went through life not doing things because we couldn't imagine enjoying them what's even the fuck*ng point

If you still don't like cover bands, fair enough

Sometimes it's just NICE to hear your favourite songs played as they originally were by people who are musically competent in a live setting. I could listen to The Queen Is Dead all day long and enjoy it but would I rather do that or go see The Smyths (yes really) the once, where I can dance like crazy with like minded people to brilliant songs that are played with energy and feeling I would never get out of even the best CD recording without any self-indulgent 'let's make this song OURS' crap thrown it, it's played just as I love it. Smiths-y.

LIVE MUSIC IS BETTER I REFUSE TO ACCEPT I WILL NEVER ENJOY A BAND'S MUSIC IN A LIVE SETTING BECAUSE THEY ARE DEAD/SPLIT UP
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 11:26:40 pm
there are also not any cover bands I have ever heard of that cover bands I like enough to want to see. probably because the fans of the bands I like are people who say, cover bands are lame.
I feel like you are going to say I am a dick and find some cover band of a band I like, but I cannot think of what band it would be. Nirvana maybe? I guess a Nirvana cover band would exist. I have not heard of such a thing playing here, though. Only Led Zeppelin cover bands, which I do not really want to see.

Once I saw my friends play in a band where they did covers of different songs, and that was cool. They did War Pigs, Helter Skelter, and Miss You (Rolling Stones), among others I forget.

I am trying to think of albums I like enough that I would want to see this, and all of the examples are bands that still exist, that I have seen/could see.

Maybe a black sabbath cover band could be cool. But this is similar to the Led Zeppelin thing, where I like some of their songs a lot, and others are not at all what I want to hear.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on February 03, 2010, 11:36:13 pm
there are also not any cover bands I have ever heard of that cover bands I like enough to want to see. probably because the fans of the bands I like are people who say, cover bands are lame.
I feel like you are going to say I am a dick and find some cover band of a band I like, but I cannot think of what band it would be. Nirvana maybe? I guess a Nirvana cover band would exist. I have not heard of such a thing playing here, though. Only Led Zeppelin cover bands, which I do not really want to see.

Once I saw my friends play in a band where they did covers of different songs, and that was cool. They did War Pigs, Helter Skelter, and Miss You (Rolling Stones), among others I forget.

I am trying to think of albums I like enough that I would want to see this, and all of the examples are bands that still exist, that I have seen/could see.

Maybe a black sabbath cover band could be cool. But this is similar to the Led Zeppelin thing, where I like some of their songs a lot, and others are not at all what I want to hear.

Haha no not at all I was just in a rage. It is true that cover bands which cover the bands you'd enjoy are rarer than ones which cover stuff like Zepp and Black Sabbath and AC/DC

I think I'm in the position of most of the music I enjoy a lot of bands who aren't accessible for me live, so I have to rely on cover bands for some, Smiths being the first example that came to mind. Also a lot of bands are a bit disappointing to see live when they're older, they play less energetically and are more wanton to include more 'mature' material which isn't always as good. I like seeing cover bands for that reason sometimes, they'll play a bands earlier stuff and because they like it it's energetic and passionate and there's no crap 10 minute jams or whatever. 10 minutes jams are rarely as good as a band thinks they are.

I cannot believe I am arguing about cover bands.

Cover bands!

Possibly the least important thing in my life ever.

At least... that's what I thought.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 11:41:20 pm
actually, yes. I was thinking, what cover band would I like to see, and I thought "a Feelies cover band that didn't play any of their BORING "mature" stuff."
I saw them a year ago and it was so great, for the 20-30 minutes where they played the stuff from their first album. So Good.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Doc on February 03, 2010, 11:49:18 pm
Not really relevant now you two have kissed and made up but:

There's a big beginning of year party in my course called 'sports day' basically a pub crawl followed by massive drinking in the uni's playing fields and then there's shenanigans like drunken tug-o-wars and jelly pools etc. When we were talking about it in my study group one of the dudes said he wasn't going because he didn't like it. When we asked if he'd gone in previous years he said no. I just don't know how to respond to that. I think part of it is he's the type of religious guy who isn't down with drinking and partying but I know other non-drinkers who've gone in previous years and had a great old time just hanging out with people, it just really stuck in my gut someone saying 'I will not experience this because I have decided a priori that it is bad.'

It also makes me sad that a bud (because he's not a bad guy) will not be around to enjoy himself with me.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2010, 11:52:17 pm
Cover bands ate my birthday gift brainstorming thread.

Screw all y'all, I think I'm just gonna go to the day spa and see if that hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 12:03:28 am
I mean, sometimes people judge whether they will like something based on previous experiences.

Going to that event sober sounds... pretty horrible. I often dislike things like that even when I am not sober.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2010, 12:10:18 am
My favorite cover and of all time is Sapphire Bullets. They are the wasps' nipples, you guys.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2010, 12:16:07 am
Yeah I think that is what he meant to say, it's just that he specifically said he didn't like that event and then said he'd never been. It just weirded me out.

Screw all y'all, I think I'm just gonna go to the day spa and see if that hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.

See, you don't need our help.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 02:37:13 am
I'm not saying that I wouldn't go see a cover band. At all. I would totally see some iterations of cover bands.

I'm just saying... I would not be interested in an attempt at an orthodox recreation of the original experience if the original experience no longer exists.

I'd rather hear someone take their own unique stab at it and not go chasing the idea of an authentic recreation of an irreproducable experience.

Just me. No judgements of how other peoples' mileages mary vary.

ALSO:

jayelle, would it make it MORE or LESS hot if the German lady were to know that you also like ladies?

I could see that cutting two ways.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2010, 02:48:10 am
What is an acceptable percentage of cover content before you can no longer allow yourself to enjoy the concert?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2010, 03:16:58 am

jayelle, would it make it MORE or LESS hot if the German lady were to know that you also like ladies?

I could see that cutting two ways.

Depends. If she is also also into ladies, it's a plus. If not, then it's just weird and uncomfortable.

No, wait, scratch that. I think it's weird and uncomfortable either way, because I am married and she is a professional.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 04, 2010, 03:25:34 am
I've only ever seen a cover band once, and it was a Genesis cover band - they're called The Musical Box, and they didn't merely perform Genesis songs, they recreated the original "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" stage show, to the extent that they actually tracked down the location of the original slides that Genesis used when they performed that album live, and used them in the show. It was great fun. Also, I read a review where Peter Gabriel basically gave them his endorsement.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 03:27:27 am
Yeah but... just run with me here...

If she DOESN'T know and you're getting more out of it than she understands...

Isn't that totally naughty and forbidden fruit and stuff?

Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on February 04, 2010, 03:39:36 am
hot German chick is free for another hot stone massage.

I've had only one professional massage, and it was give by an Icelandic lady, who was decidedly not hot. But damn, it was a good massage. Also, she knows Bjork.

Yeah but... just run with me here...

If she DOESN'T know and you're getting more out of it than she understands...

Isn't that totally naughty and forbidden fruit and stuff?

For like an entire minute I was trying to figure out how this was a reply to VW's post. I was like trying to figure out what kind of metaphor you were going for and wondering why you were referring to Peter Gabriel as "she" and I was just lost.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 04:00:44 am
The only "she" I could possibly apply analogistically to Peter Gabriel is the frightening woman-scorned activity he will unleash some day on Phil Collins, when he least expects it, for usurping Genesis and turning it into soft-rock by the end of the run. He has been waiting for decades, just to make the vengeance all the sweeter.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Choop on February 04, 2010, 06:26:56 am
unfortunately for peter gabriel, while he waited and plotted, he fell victim to the same soft-rock fate as phil collins
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 08:04:30 am
It's kind like getting the main bad guy's ring in that movie with Dildo Baggins.

You think that by defeating the villain you can take his power and do some good with it but, pretty soon, the power makes you at least as bad as the old boss.

Similarly: two-party political systems.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: pmcd9 on February 04, 2010, 08:18:15 am
I think we're using the term cover band when we mean to say tribute band.  Tribute bands are a relatively new phenomenon.  Cover bands have been around forever.

Once I saw a Janis Joplin tribute band.  It kinda worked because "Janis" was in her middle to late thirties, way older than the real Janis when she died, and was a little bit out of shape.  Of course she didn't have quite the voice of Janis either.  I imagined that this was what had become of Janis Joplin by the late 70s, her days of headlining festivals far behind her, fat and over the hill playing in a seedy club, for the couple of hundred people that hadn't forgotten about her, a good 10-15 years before her all star revival ala Chuck Berry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYF0qZBhYY) or Roy Orbison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CQy33GDJ8).  So it worked for me, because I was able to create that scenario in my mind and believe that this was what it might be like to experience that.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Drygioni on February 04, 2010, 01:49:22 pm
I've had only one professional massage, and it was give by an Icelandic lady, who was decidedly not hot. But damn, it was a good massage. Also, she knows Bjork.

Everyone knows everyone in Iceland. I am not kidding
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 04, 2010, 03:03:32 pm
Everyone knows everyone in Iceland. I am not kidding
Well the entire nation went into catastrophic bankruptcy so Id imagine they are all looking for the people who owe each other money.
(PS Greece is next)
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 04, 2010, 06:13:45 pm
Iceland has a population of ~300,000. That's like a mid-sized American city. Reykjavík has a population of ~100,00, so that's like a large American suburb or Green Bay, WI.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2010, 09:26:28 pm
I have decided. Instead of going to either the game or the tribute concert, we are instead going to see MC Frontalot at the end of the month. I'm also going to the spa (tonight in fact), but we wanted to do something together, as well.

Nerdcore WILL rise up, bitches.

And I think I'm going to direct my in-laws towards the knitting books, if they ask. They haven't yet, tho, so I might escape this year without a gift, which would be ideal.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 04, 2010, 09:28:30 pm
i didnt get you  a gift, but im glad you were born.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2010, 10:27:46 pm
Once I saw a Janis Joplin tribute band.  It kinda worked because "Janis" was in her middle to late thirties, way older than the real Janis when she died, and was a little bit out of shape.  Of course she didn't have quite the voice of Janis either.  I imagined that this was what had become of Janis Joplin by the late 70s, her days of headlining festivals far behind her, fat and over the hill playing in a seedy club, for the couple of hundred people that hadn't forgotten about her, a good 10-15 years before her all star revival ala Chuck Berry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYF0qZBhYY) or Roy Orbison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CQy33GDJ8).  So it worked for me, because I was able to create that scenario in my mind and believe that this was what it might be like to experience that.

This is why Paul has a better life than anyone.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Lister on February 04, 2010, 10:44:23 pm
Amazon gift cards are my go-to suggestion for anyone who doesn't know what to get me.  I can ALWAYS find something to spend $10 on at Amazon.  Home Depot cards are also nice since you're in the remodeling mode.

And yeah, I admit this takes the "art" out of giving a gift, but if you're being asked what you want, people don't know what they want to give you in the first place.

As for tributes... I saw a show called The Rat Pack, which was basically Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr. impersonators trying to recreate an old Vegas show.  For the first act I was picking apart differences ("Frank" looked a lot more like Gene Kelly, "Dean" was about a foot too tall, etc), but then "Sammy" hit a home run with a perfect, soulful "Candyman" and I loved everything from then on.

In the end, it was a live performance of good songs done in the style of the singers that made them famous, but the performers were still having fun themselves, and improvising.  Even though I knew it was fake scotch they were drinking, it felt almost like I'd been able to see the real thing, and so I guess that has some value on its own.

Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on February 05, 2010, 02:45:46 am
Even though I knew it was fake scotch they were drinking

The Saddest Thing.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: jay-ell on February 08, 2010, 01:18:42 am
And in a surprise last-minute odd-man rush, my MIL got me the box of the Dr. Who specials that aren't available on Netflix yet, right off my wishlist. She gave it to me tonight. I know what my plans for the evening are.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: linnea on February 08, 2010, 05:29:33 am
I have only seen one tribute band, which was Aussie Pink Floyd. My boyfriend at the time was a huuuuge Floyd fan and was heartbroken that he was too young to ever see them live. It was a pretty decent show, but I can't imagine going to see them of my own volition. It would have been amazing to see Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd back in their prime, in some enormous arena full of screaming fans. Sitting in a relatively tame audience of perhaps 1800 people in a theatre doesn't really compare.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 08, 2010, 05:36:02 am
As an alternate to the coverband thing, I would suggest doing a planetarium laser show with the original band's music.

And, also, do a lot of drugs.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: miles on September 22, 2010, 02:27:18 am
Sometimes it's just NICE to hear your favourite songs played as they originally were by people who are musically competent in a live setting. I could listen to The Queen Is Dead all day long and enjoy it but would I rather do that or go see The Smyths (yes really) the once, where I can dance like crazy with like minded people to brilliant songs that are played with energy and feeling I would never get out of even the best CD recording without any self-indulgent 'let's make this song OURS' crap thrown it, it's played just as I love it. Smiths-y.

I AM THE RESURRECTION

So I saw a Smiths cover band on Saturday night called Louder Than Bombs, based in LA. The owner of this pub in Salt Lake flew them in to celebrate his 40th (see, I'm on topic, birthday wishes to him!). All of the band members were Hispanic, which makes sense because Morrissey has a big Hispanic following in Southern Cal. They opened, of course, with The First of the Gang to Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzpynvxr7tA) (though I don't see many Hispanics in that Mancunian crowd). I went with one friend who is also a huge Smiths fan, and three other friends who had basically no idea about them. One of them asked if they were the band that did I Wanna Be Your Dog, and then wondered if the Smiths were also Hispanic. The opening lines to that song remind me that Morrissey is still the best modern lyricist in rock, well into last decade anyway:

You have never been in love,
Until you've seen the stars,
reflect in the resevoirs

And you have never been in love,
Until you've seen the dawn rise,
behind the home for the blind

Even if his co-songwriters often suck these days.

Anyway, great time, would see again, and only a $5 cover. Setlist was very similar to a contemporary Morrissey setlist, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

I think I'm in the position of most of the music I enjoy a lot of bands who aren't accessible for me live, so I have to rely on cover bands for some, Smiths being the first example that came to mind.

Don't give up hope, man!
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Nabubrush on September 23, 2010, 06:48:05 pm
As for tributes... I saw a show called The Rat Pack, which was basically Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr. impersonators trying to recreate an old Vegas show.  For the first act I was picking apart differences ("Frank" looked a lot more like Gene Kelly, "Dean" was about a foot too tall, etc), but then "Sammy" hit a home run with a perfect, soulful "Candyman" and I loved everything from then on.

In the end, it was a live performance of good songs done in the style of the singers that made them famous, but the performers were still having fun themselves, and improvising.  Even though I knew it was fake scotch they were drinking, it felt almost like I'd been able to see the real thing, and so I guess that has some value on its own.

I saw this with my sweetie, here in Portland. I really enjoyed it, and so did she. However, she won't entertain the idea of seeing a regular tribute band. The last one we saw was Mistress of Reality, and all-female Sabbath tribute band. I may have discussed this here before. The guitarist had recently quit the band, so some guy was filling in, kind of defeating one of the main draws. He had an SG on stage, but did not play it. So two strikes against them.

One time I saw an ad for a Motley Crue tribute band, playing with a Poison tribute band, and playing with LA Guns. That's gotta sting, when you have to tour with two tribute bands.

Also, there used to be a local tribute band called the Misfats, but I don't think they exist anymore.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 23, 2010, 07:12:53 pm
Ah, my all-Italian GNR coverband "Appetite for Lasagna" that never happened.

I mean, it never would'a been legal to do the Appetite cover with the Garfield characters as our poster anyway.

le sigh
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2010, 07:19:41 pm
Someone create that image, stat.  You get a can sMets.

I've been seeing some tribute bands lately.  Saw that Janis tribute again and her voice was great.  She really does a good job of sounding like her.

I also saw a really good Black Sabbath tribute.  The singer looked a lot like Ozzy too.

Then I went to the Texas Celebrity Impersonators Festival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157624869384949/).  All I can say is Yikes!!! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5008697001/)
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 23, 2010, 08:38:52 pm
Ah, my all-Italian GNR coverband "Appetite for Lasagna" that never happened.

That's pretty good.  My dream project was a D-tuned acoustic group.  All doin' Soundgarden and Helmet covers on acoustic guitar, with a stripped-down drumkit like the Femmes or American Analog Set.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: robot_god on September 23, 2010, 10:22:09 pm
I saw The Machine, a Floyd cover band a few weeks back, but they could never compare to The Musical Box, the only licensed Genesis cover group who recreate original shows to the T.

But The Machine show was annoying because I ended up having to carry my friend out of there.  Fuckin' idiot, I hate that shit.  It was at Brooklyn Bowl which is like the coolest concept ever.  They have some pretty decent shows there and Questlove is the house DJ.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 23, 2010, 10:41:25 pm
I have never actually attended a show of a full-on only-one-band cover band before, actually.

But at one of the more humiliating jobs I had, the nebbishy trainer's weekend gig was as the bassist in a Floyd cover band called "Crazy Diamond" and this is a detail that has always stuck with me.

The idea of a dude getting through his horrible job as a trainer at a T-Mobile call centre by looking forward to the weekend when he can play bass in a cover band in dive bars in, like, Rome or Syracuse... it just stuck with me.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Nabubrush on September 23, 2010, 11:01:46 pm
(T)hey could never compare to The Musical Box, the only licensed Genesis cover group who recreate original shows to the T.

Is that the one that Peter Gabriel took his kid to see? The one where he told the kid "that's what Dad used to do"?
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2010, 11:22:48 pm
Probably the most famous tribute band would be that one that not only does songs only by Grateful Dead, but recreates their most famous shows note for note.  Rusty Weir and a couple of the other dead guys actually hired the guitar player for their new group.
Title: Re: Birthday Wishes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 24, 2010, 01:43:21 am
I saw The Machine, a Floyd cover band a few weeks back

Good christ, they're still together?  I saw them in college.

(Not what I'd normally go see, but it was a free show on the quad, so what the hell.  I'm pretty sure we were all drunk.)