The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on November 21, 2010, 09:42:44 pm

Title: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2010, 09:42:44 pm
Post your links and pics of things that lead you to believe we are all going to hell in a hand basket here.

Chia Obama (http://www.chiaobama.com)

Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2010, 10:38:22 pm
##### Off Dance Off (http://www.spinthebottle.com/#####-off-dance-off)
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Choop on November 21, 2010, 11:16:35 pm
##### Off Dance Off (http://www.spinthebottle.com/#####-off-dance-off)

bitly'd it for you (http://bit.ly/aJwJYI)
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on November 21, 2010, 11:59:48 pm
For me, ##### Off Dance Off is good news for the future, other than the lady I saw was too skinny for my taste.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 22, 2010, 03:08:39 am
For me, ##### Off Dance Off is good news for the future, other than the lady I saw was too skinny for my taste.

jodi sweetin was the host of that show for a hot minute.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: jaydub on November 22, 2010, 03:42:36 am
That completely distracted me from watching football for 5min.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 22, 2010, 06:41:02 pm
I was unable to link to the Canadian version, which was far less entertaining, and more... uncoordinated, arrogant people dancing.  Admittedly the American version is less a sign of end times.

 M Knit Shyamalan (http://www.regretsy.com/2010/08/05/m-knit-shyamalan/)
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2010, 09:25:51 pm
M Knit Shyamalan (http://www.regretsy.com/2010/08/05/m-knit-shyamalan/)

Those are so weird they are cool.  If I could wear one more than once or twice a decade I would buy one.

Wait!  I am planning that trip up to Minnesota in Feb.  Maybe I need it for then?  Nah, I it would be a crime to cover this beautiful face.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 11:07:53 pm
I can't imagine you'd ever need one with that magnificent 'stache.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: jaydub on November 23, 2010, 12:16:03 am
You could totally make holes for the Stache.  That would increase the WTF factor dramatically.

That one on the right was a little Klanny for my tastes.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 24, 2010, 11:13:46 pm
 wikiHow: Host a Dog Wedding. (http://www.wikihow.com/Host-a-Dog-Wedding)

Quote
Decide on the formality of the occasion. Is it serious, or just a casual affair to have fun at?

Quote
No matter how "serious" you consider the occasion to be, the dogs probably don't feel the same way about it.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 25, 2010, 02:17:58 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP73cK3GXdo - Asst. Tres Sec Kashkari didn't know or care how or where the $700,000,000,000 TARP funds went. We still don't know to this day. Theres hundreds of criminal trials going on to figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PEdYYv0ig - Theres no exit strategy.

Financial Armageddon and the resulting overnight government expenditure of nearly a trillion dollars - and the unaccountability for where that money went. That is a sign of the end times to me. To live in a time where that kind of shenanigans goes down - that kind of society isn't constructing a solid base for the future. And here we are.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2010, 02:38:23 am
I totally believe you, but what do we do? Do I keep writing a book that's not supposed to come out till next fall and believe that there will still be publishing companies and bookstores in a year, or do I start hoarding canned goods?  I really do wonder sometimes.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 25, 2010, 03:42:22 am
I totally believe you, but what do we do? Do I keep writing a book that's not supposed to come out till next fall and believe that there will still be publishing companies and bookstores in a year, or do I start hoarding canned goods?  I really do wonder sometimes.
Yes ma'am this is a daily discussion I have within my own investment group and the people I work for. The fundamentals are in place for now, but the way at which we've arrived at those fundamentals is questionable. How does one have long term growth if you borrow trillions of dollars from the future????

[edit: I can make a metric shit ton of money either way]
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2010, 12:44:47 pm
I had a moment of jealousy there but then I thought, is the metric shit ton of money going to do you any good when we're wandering the post-apocalyptic landscape scavenging for hoards of canned goods and a can opener? Thank goodness so many cans are made with pop-tops now, at least.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 25, 2010, 02:11:15 pm
The metric shit ton of money will pay for the guns and ammo.
Really though, it could be used to fund the programs that ultimately arrive at a stable system.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 25, 2010, 02:26:58 pm
A musical about Green Day was on the Macy's Day Parade. If that ain't a sign of the end times, I dunno what is.

Oh, wait, I do know.

Sarah Palin's reality show.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2010, 03:28:32 pm
I had a moment of jealousy there but then I thought, is the metric shit ton of money going to do you any good when we're wandering the post-apocalyptic landscape scavenging for hoards of canned goods and a can opener? Thank goodness so many cans are made with pop-tops now, at least.

Unfortunately canned goods expire.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2010, 04:47:55 pm
The metric shit ton of money will pay for the guns and ammo.
Really though, it could be used to fund the programs that ultimately arrive at a stable system.

Unfortunately many of the people who are capable of making metric shit tons of money choose to use it to purchase a political system that will allow them to avoid funding those programs and instead spend an ever increasing proportion of our economic resources on hookers 'n' blow.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 25, 2010, 05:02:31 pm
I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but something about this product disturbs me on a deep level:  http://www.batterblaster.com/  (http://www.batterblaster.com/)  I'm compelled and repelled at the same time.  This product is sold in the health food sections of my grocery store, yet something about them seems so un-health-food- ike that it's hard for me to get my head around.   Michael Polan's theory that one should only eat food that our great-grandmothers and great-great grandmother would recognize as food comes to mind.  It's a fascinating juxtaposition really.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2010, 05:17:04 pm
Really though, it could be used to fund the programs that ultimately arrive at a stable system.

You mean you're going to share? I never thought you had it in you.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2010, 05:20:29 pm
Unfortunately canned goods expire.

Nah, not really.

Quote
Question: I have some canned tuna in my pantry. The “best by” date was several months ago. Is it still safe to eat? 
Answer: Yes, the tuna should be fine — provided you’ve been storing it properly and the unopened can isn’t damaged.
 
As the U.S. Department of Agriculture points out, “Best By,” “Best if Used By,” and “Use By” dates on commercially packaged foods sold in the United States are not food safety dates. Provided voluntarily by manufacturers, they are an indication of how long products are likely to remain at peak quality.
 
After the “best by” date has passed, the canned tuna’s texture, color and flavor will gradually deteriorate. So from a sheer quality standpoint, the sooner you eat the tuna, the better.
 
But from a safety perspective, you can consume it well beyond the “best by” date — in fact, unopened shelf-stable commercially canned foods will keep safe indefinitely (assuming they remain properly stored and undamaged), according to the USDA.
 
Just be sure to store your tuna and other shelf-stable canned goods in a cool, dry area and check to see that unopened cans are not leaking, rusting, bulging or severely dented. You should always throw out damaged cans, without tasting the food first.
http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/45/page:2 (http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/45/page:2)

But if you don't want yours after the apocalypse, I'll take it.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 25, 2010, 05:23:20 pm
You mean you're going to share? I never thought you had it in you.
Investing in programs and innovations that result in a stable economic system benefits us all, myself among them. I'm not talking about being philanthropic, I'm talking about avoiding financial annihilation of everyone's capital base. In other words, I can't take money from people that don't have any to take.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2010, 05:53:46 pm
Aww, that's sweet.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on November 26, 2010, 03:26:34 am
Horrible sign of end times: bunny crushing (http://beta.ca.news.yahoo.com/bunny-crushing-videos-stir-chinese-online-anger.html).  People really run out of things to get off on to the point where this is a thing?  Really?
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 26, 2010, 04:06:12 am
Horrible sign of end times: bunny crushing (http://beta.ca.news.yahoo.com/bunny-crushing-videos-stir-chinese-online-anger.html).  People really run out of things to get off on to the point where this is a thing?  Really?
You know there is/was this rapist in the N. Virginia area who would find women at bus stops on their way to work and knock them over the head with a brick. When I looked into this I realized the shithead was getting up at like 4AM to pull this off.
THESE THINGS DON'T HAPPEN WHEN PEOPLE HAVE SHIT TO DO. There is no way some working man is getting up at 4AM to commit a crime and then go home, get showered and dressed, and then go to work. Crushing a bunny, dressing up in furry costumes, raping women at bus stops, can all be avoided if people have better stuff to do.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on November 26, 2010, 01:31:16 pm
A-Cap is right. Now he just needs to figure out how to repair the entire economy so we can solve this problem.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 12:14:44 am
Nah, not really.
http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/45/page:2 (http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/45/page:2)

But if you don't want yours after the apocalypse, I'll take it.

By which I meant that they all eventually get bulgy and fucked up. Yeah, if they aren't bulging, it doesn't matter if they are past the expiration date. However, canning is not a foolproof preservation system.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: side_show on December 06, 2010, 05:53:28 pm
Certainly, if not a sign of end times, this is, at its very least, the death knell of the music industry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 06, 2010, 06:59:03 pm
Certainly, if not a sign of end times, this is, at its very least, the death knell of the music industry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)

pop music isnt for me, in general, but i dont see the problem.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: wombat on December 06, 2010, 06:59:39 pm
Quote
@CortJstr Surely this is a sign of the apocalypse: http://walyou.com/farmville-for-dummies/
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2010, 07:37:48 pm
Certainly, if not a sign of end times, this is, at its very least, the death knell of the music industry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)

Perhaps you will like this version (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/11/neil-young-and-bruce-springsteen-whip-my-hair/) better.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2010, 07:43:11 pm
Certainly, if not a sign of end times, this is, at its very least, the death knell of the music industry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)

FTFY
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: smick on December 06, 2010, 09:19:58 pm
Quote from: Oddly Lucid YouTube Commenter
migmob27
22 minutes ago 3

"I whip my hair back and fourth" was used for 111 seconds of this song. Which is 47% of the song....

Migmob27 does the math.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 10:30:28 pm
Certainly, if not a sign of end times, this is, at its very least, the death knell of the music industry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)

I won't deny that parts of that song are annoying as fuck, and of course auto-tune just pisses me off. However, the worst thing about that song to me is the certain knowledge that the young woman in the video had virtually nothing to do with producing that song, from start to finish.

This is why they call it a "pop confection."  It's the sort of thing created by men with saggy parts who know how to make a dime, and have shriveled souls that contain no concern for artistic pursuit.
Title: Re: Signs of End Times
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 10:38:02 pm
Perhaps you will like this version (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/11/neil-young-and-bruce-springsteen-whip-my-hair/) better.

What is it about that interface that the ads play just fine and as soon as the content starts it's all fucked up with the buffering and the re-starting and the bloo bloo bloo?