The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 07:24:37 pm

Title: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 07:24:37 pm
Any interest/has this been covered already? I have a great friend who is very, very into games and game theory. He pretty much never plays video games (although he's willing to watch others do so), but I've been getting more into playing board games and such with him, my wife, and other friends lately. Anyway, the games I've been playing over the last little bit are:

Zombie Fluxx (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29387/zombie-fluxx): pretty intersting. We've been keeping a loose eye on what combinations win, and they aren't what we expected. I have a few expansion cards, from a variety of sets, and sometimes it feels like not very much thought was put into this game.
Zombies!!! (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29387/zombie-fluxx): This game is ok, but it sure feels like it needs some house rules. I haven't checked out any of the expansions.
Carcassonne (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne): This is a solid game. Feels simple and luck-based at first, but complexities come out the more you play it.
New World (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34615/new-world-a-carcassonne-game): This is sort of a knock-off of Carcassonne, but it is surprising how different it plays. I'm still working on the dynamics of it, and strategies.

Other than this, I play a lot of Cribbage. I've heard a lot about The Settlers of Catan (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13/the-settlers-of-catan), but I've never tried it. When I was a kid my family played a lot of games (Scrabble, Boggle, Risk, Monopoly, card games, Backgammon, etc etc) but it has been a while since I've been into it. I'm primarily looking for games that work best in a two-player format, but 2-4 is great.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2011, 07:34:43 pm
Catan is popular but I wouldn't mention it to your friend. People who are into eurogames tend to look down on it for having dice/being popular with normal people.

Be careful with Carcassonne, it has about 50 expansions which range from "lots of fun" to "huge waste of money." And since they all add tiles they all make the game longer. Which can be good or bad.

Small World (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world) is often described as "like Risk, but actually fun." I like it a lot.

Balloon Cup (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5716/balloon-cup) is a solid 2-player game and is really quick to learn.

I don't often play with 2 but I can recommend a few more in the 2-4 range. I've only even played Small World with 4-5 but I went ahead and mentioned it since you said you liked Risk.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 07:55:57 pm
I think he said he'd played Catan once or twice. He's the kind of guy who is really excited by the news that a new edition of Ogre (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5206/ogre) is coming out (but he's really bummed that it's going to cost $100).

Any and all recommendations are good and welcome. I want to say he mentioned something about Small World at some point, but I'm not sure. I've also been playing some dice game where you score for various combos (can't remember the name) but he really looks down his nose at that kind of thing.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2011, 08:57:48 pm
I have a friend that is totally into board games.  He even went to a board game convention in Dallas a few months ago.  I didn't even know such as that existed.  Like your friend Nabu, he doesn't play video games either.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on March 17, 2011, 09:19:34 pm
We were getting really into board games about the time the Boy was born, so we learned a little about what's cool and then stopped playing for five years. We've got a good collection of games we've played a few times each, but we're not really up on what's new.

Here are some of our favorites:


Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that we've tested and played with a variety of people. There's also Eurorails, but that's a game that's best with 2 or 3 and can take three or four hours to play a single game. It's very involved and takes a long time to get moving and even longer to get the hang of. I can't recommend it to anyone but a real hard-core, strategy-loving tabletop gamer.

Oh! Oh! We don't own this but we'd like to -- Pandemic. It's a cooperative game in which all the players (3 - 5 I think?) play against the board. It's fascinating. I think there's an online version of it. I've only played the tabletop version, and only once, but it was a blast and I can't wait to do it again. Best with a full table.

Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 11:29:02 pm
I've been considering the iPhone Carcassonne, but my friend is of somewhat limited means and I'm not sure he would buy it. If I get it, I will get in touch. Thanks for all the reccies!
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on March 18, 2011, 01:44:46 am
I can't believe I forgot Munchkin. It's a quick(ish) card game directed at anyone who has ever played a tabletop RPG, but it's fun for just about anyone. (Non-RPGers might not get all the jokes, but that's ancillary.) Best with groups of 4 and lots and lots of beer.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2011, 04:50:25 am
I've been looking at that off and on.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2011, 05:13:24 am
I don't care if it makes me common and low, I love Settlers of Catan.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2011, 06:54:26 am
over the summer when I was unemployed and my friends were around, I played Catan probably 3 times a night, every night.

I got so damn good. Then I lost it all.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: smick on March 19, 2011, 01:04:25 am
Dominion.

It's a card game, but it falls in with Settlers and Carcassonneassonneasse
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2011, 01:44:57 am
Oooh, ooh. We went for a geeky board game date tonght and played Ticket to Ride. It was good, but Pedro moved from "I am figuring out the rules and how to score points" to "I have figured out how to score points and now I'm going to do everything in my power to screw with you" much faster than I was ready for.

There was, perhaps, a minor scene in the middle of the game store, in which I may or may not have shouted, "Why? Why? Because even after seventeen years I still inexplicably have faith in your humanity!"

He beat me by One. Single. Point. Now I want to buy a copy so that I can kick his ass repeatedly and thoroughly. They were out of stock except the demo copy, though.

We picked up the Back to the Future card game. It's based on Chrononauts, if you're familiar with that one, but of course tied into the movie. We're planning to play after the kids go to bed -- because I have not suffered enough for one day, apparently -- so I'll let you know. It looks cool, but I would probably say to check out Chrononauts instead if you're interested unless you have a gigantic crush on Michael J. Fox (like me) or Lea Thompson (like Pedro).

I'll let you know if it's good, though.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2011, 02:28:16 am
OK, this week has kind of sucked, but I'm finally here with some recommendations.

Ticket to Ride Europe. This is a case where the sequel is better than the original. TtR: Europe is better for new players than vanilla TtR because adds a mechanic where you can piggback on another person's work but it costs you points. It intended as a last resort to keep you from getting screwed and it has fewer spots where only one player can be to begin with. I've played with 3-5 people and it works well. I've taught it to 2 different couples and both rushed out and bought their own copy the very next week. If you get one thing off my list make it this.

Small World. Risk but with a Tolkienesque setting. Your armies are things like elves and wizards. The board is purposely too small so you must attack the other players. Instead of rolling dice you just need strength in numbers. It takes two chits to take an empty territory and one extra chit per chit in the territory already. But each race has special powers and each race also has a randomly chosen descriptor that can give more powers. So one game you could have Swamp Elves that gain extra VP for conquering swamp territories. But the next game you have Marauding Elves which gain extra VP for attacking the other players.

Dominion is very popular right now. It's a non-collectible card game. Meaning it has a tiny bit in common with games like Magic but instead of buying packs of cards hoping for good ones you buy the game and are good to go. This means all players have access to the same cards so it's very fair. There are several expansions but again, they all add cards that are available to everybody and you can only have 10 of the cards in any given game so you don't have to memorize hundreds of card powers or go up against some jack-off that's spent years crafting a special deck. The major downside is there can be very little interaction with the other players. Critics call it "solitaire while sitting next to other people."

Blue Moon City. Hard to describe because it's not like most other games. Basically you have cards that represent labor. You use labor to acquire money, you spend money to earn victory. The key is deciding when to stop focusing on money and start focusing on victory. Plus it has little plastic dragons.

Gloom. Some of my gamer friends hate this but with the right crowd (e.g. anybody on TOAUMB) it's fantastic. The art "borrows" heavily from Gorey and The Adams Family. Each player has a family. You want to make them as miserable as possible then kill them while playing cards that make the other players' families happier and more alive. The fun is that each card has an alliterative sentence explaining how it makes the person sadder or happier. The players are encouraged to string these together into fantastical and hilarious stories. If the people you play with are willing to do the story bit this will easily be Game of the Night. If they just want to play the cards and win the game it's not worth getting out. Avoid all the expansions.

Thurn and Taxis. A game about the early German postal system that's way more fun than it has any right to be. You draw cards representing cities and try to play them in order to complete mail routes between cities.

Vegas Showdown. Each player is basically Trump. We're all trying to build the best and most awesome casino in Vegas to prove our dick is bigger than the other players'. You spend money to add games or attractions which bring in more guests or money each turn. You must spend money to make money.

Zooloretto. You run a zoo with a couple of animal pens. Only one type of animal can be in a pen an any animals that don't fit are negative points. Try to fill your own pens while forcing your opponent to take animals they don't want. At heart it's a press-your-luck game.

Revolution. Made by the same people as Munchkin. You use force, blackmail, and money to gain favors and influence in a city undergoing a revolution. Each player has a screen behind which they decide what citizens they're going to try to influence. All players lift their screens simultaneously to see who was successful. So if I tried to bribe the General with 3 gold and you offered him 4 then you win his influence that turn. Much of the game is trying to deduce what the other players will choose.

For buying games I recommend Thought Hammer. Their website is straight out of 1998 but it's where all the gamers shop. Their prices are lower than Amazon's and shipping is a flat $9 for orders under $100 and free for orders over that.

That's what I can think of right now.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Lister on March 20, 2011, 06:32:48 am
Dominion is a REALLY fun game where you basically build your strategy as you go.  The game crew at work has all the expansions and will play it until 3 AM.  On Tuesday nights.

I personally enjoy Fluxx and its variants, but it's not in favor with others at work because it's got a very high degree of randomness in it.

Mall of Horror (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/16772/mall-of-horror) is a great deal of fun, even to watch.  It's centered around a mall that is, naturally, under attack by zombies.  Each player has 3 pieces - a strong guy, a guy with a gun, and a girl.  Each of them has an advantage - the strong guy counts as two people when "holding back" zombies (if zombies at a room outnumber people in it, they break in and eat someone), the girl is worth the most points if she survives, and the gun guy counts as two votes if the room has to have one.  Votes determine who gets the room's bonus (some have things you can use) or who dies if zombies break in.  It's really funny, allows a decent amount of backstabbing, and has just enough randomness to allow a lucky player to beat the one with the better strategy.  The game ends when there are only two players left or if all the remaining characters are in the same room.

Medici (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/46/medici) is a really fun trading game.  Every player has a boat with 5 slots for goods, and you take turns drawing random goods out of a bag, which everyone then bids money on to put in their boat.  Depending on how you build your boat, you can get money for having the most valuable cargo, or for having the most goods of the same type, or both.  It's a really simple game to grasp, but offers a lot of fun little choices for both overall strategy and individual tactics.

Age of Steam (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4098/age-of-steam) is a good game, but not necessarily a fun game.  It's heavily strategic in the Ticket to Ride "screw everyone else" mode and in the Agricola "I can't do everything every turn" mode.  You'll spend a lot of time doing math and planning ahead, only for someone else to build over where you were going to go.  On the other hand, you build trains!  And train tracks!  And move cubes of goods to towns that need them!

fixin bbcodes - choop
fixin text 'cause I can't apparently fix bbcodes - Lister
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2011, 02:40:06 pm
Choop, I'm not sure you fixed it right - was there something in between "Mall of Horror" and "Medici"?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Choop on March 20, 2011, 02:58:32 pm
i just fixed the syntax, i didn't make any changes to the content
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: side_show on March 20, 2011, 03:44:49 pm
Scrabble Slam is pretty fun to play with just two people.  The games are really short though, but fun.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2011, 04:12:52 pm
i just fixed the syntax, i didn't make any changes to the content

Okeydoke, I'm going to assume the duplicated part in the middle was a transferring issue.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2011, 04:17:29 pm
I really like Scrabble. I have fond memories of playing that with my grandmother - they're some of the only memories I have of her (she lived far away). Our family has always played a lot of Scrabble. Unfortunately, some of the people I like to play games with are pretty vigorously anti-Scrabble.

I just read up a bit on Scrabble Slam and that does sound interesting.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on March 20, 2011, 11:58:37 pm
I play scrabble (aka Words With Friends) via iPhone with a great number of people. Look me up by my predictable username (the one I used to use here) if you have the ability and inclination. 
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2011, 03:08:53 am
Lotta people here at work do that. Is there like a delay between moves - is that how that works? And is that how Carcassonne works on the iPhone? Or do you have to basically plan to spend an hour on your phone at a sitting?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on March 21, 2011, 03:18:46 am
You play a move, then you go do something else. It's a little disjointed. But when you and a pal are on at the same time, you can go back and forth, boom boom boom, which is nice.

Words with Friends uses a weird dictionary, though, and I think my brother-in-law cheats. (There are tons of cheat websites out there, mainly anagram machines.) So you have to sort of trust your opponent not to be a dick about stuff.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2011, 03:22:23 am
Yeah, I went back and forth about mentioning the cheat programs. That just seems lame to me, and most of the people around here use them, so for all intents and purposes (intensive purposes, Miles?) it's one dictionary playing another.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Lister on March 21, 2011, 07:16:03 am
Whoops, didn't realize I'd messed up my post.  Sorry, I fixed it.  Medici is not a board game with zombies in it.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: miles on October 11, 2011, 04:06:09 am
Hey, who plays chess?

I'm terrible and have only played it so far on my computer and phone, but I'm hooked. I've never really made an effort before. Any tips on guides or whatever on how to improve?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2011, 05:14:08 pm
I was a pretty good chess player 'round about junior high. I was the #2 player at our school, behind this one Asian kid who beat me soundly every single time we played and laughed at me while doing so. Now, I seem to lack the patience. If you want to improve, I would say look at chess problems (it shows you a board and says "White to move and mate in three" or what have you). They used to run in newspapers everywhere; now I'm sure they're available online. It's all about seeing all the options and thinking ahead. You might study openings as well.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Choop on October 11, 2011, 05:27:47 pm
alternatively, be a supercomputer
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 05:41:10 pm
When I was younger, everyone (doctors, teachers, parents, etc) told me I would be really good at Chess. I am so, so bad at Chess.

What is particularly astounding to me is that the doctor who diagnosed me with ADD said I would be great at chess. How does that compute?

I am in a major Board Game drought ever since my board game playing roommate moved out. Puerto Rico cries every night on the little shelf under my coffee table.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: miles on October 11, 2011, 06:45:15 pm
I have the same patience issue as The Mayor anymore

That's the strange thing. My patience level is as low as it has ever been, but lately I've been playing a lot of chess (and hold em). Thanks for the tips, I'll seek those out online.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2011, 08:06:28 pm
When I was younger, everyone (doctors, teachers, parents, etc) told me I would be really good at Chess. I am so, so bad at Chess.

What is particularly astounding to me is that the doctor who diagnosed me with ADD said I would be great at chess. How does that compute?

I am in a major Board Game drought ever since my board game playing roommate moved out. Puerto Rico cries every night on the little shelf under my coffee table.

I've never played Puerto Rico but the anniversary edition is calling out to me. Have you tried Meetup? There are several board game groups in my area that I found that way.  And have you played San Juan? It's a card-based version of Puerto Rico that's a bit faster to learn and play from what I understand.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jaydub on October 11, 2011, 08:37:58 pm
My 9 y/o daughter is interested in Chess.  Its something I foster of course (although other homework has to be done first).  Other than knowing the basic order of play I have no chess knowledge, but we hack away at it together.  She still doesn't get knight moves, and I'm pretty sure this is mostly a ploy for monopolizing Daddy's attention from her younger brother and older cousin, but I like it anyway.  Makes our games move fast though, since we need to cram them in between dinner and bedtime (8:30 for her).
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2011, 08:59:37 pm
That's the strange thing. My patience level is as low as it has ever been, but lately I've been playing a lot of chess (and hold em).

Now oddly enough, though I haven't been playing much lately, I am very patient when it comes to poker. One thing I got really good at was hanging around when short-stacked, and making my way to the final table even if I started out poorly.

I need to play poker again, I miss that, but I was playing the Wednesday night game at a local bar at 10 PM. That meant if you made it to the final table you weren't out of there until 1 AM. And lately I just can't hack those kind of late nights.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 09:25:28 pm
I joined a board games Meetup group, but so far the meetings near me are on days I have work late at the store. I only started getting emails from them a few weeks ago, so it's bound to work out sooner or later.

The real "meetup" that needs to happen is with my young lady friends from this summer, who played that game with me every night for weeks. But they have all sorts of "homework" and stuff. Also, when all of your friends live in walking distance, it is hard to motivate yourself to drive across town to play board games with some 23 year old weirdo on a saturday night, instead of getting drunk/high and not having to worry about driving home.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 12:19:56 am
I've never played Puerto Rico but the anniversary edition is calling out to me. Have you tried Meetup? There are several board game groups in my area that I found that way.  And have you played San Juan? It's a card-based version of Puerto Rico that's a bit faster to learn and play from what I understand.

San Juan is one of my favorite games ever of all time. Come visit, I will teach you to play.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2011, 01:07:34 am
Board games or bored games amirite?  Just kidding.  I love to play chess.  I'm no good at it, never read a book, but it's a fun game to play.  I should go do that.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2011, 01:28:25 am
She still doesn't get knight moves

My dad taught me knights move one up and two over or two up and one over and it always took me forever to figure out all the places a knight could move. Then I learned the simpler method of one up and one diagonal and the game started going so much faster.

Oh, and JL, I've played San Juan once, but I haven't played Puerto Rico yet
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: miles on October 12, 2011, 01:43:26 am
My 9 y/o daughter is interested in Chess.

My friend recently started to get more into chess. He has a lot more background than me and knows much more about strategy, but it had been a while. He was actually to a chess club and stuff. Anyway, a few months ago his status update was something about how he beat a child at chess and felt good about it. People were horrified. But hey, gotta start somewhere.

So a friend at work is up for some chess, so we're going to set up a small board in between cubicles and take turns between busy times. I just need to get good enough so I don't lose every time. At least get some stalemates, you know?

Now oddly enough, though I haven't been playing much lately, I am very patient when it comes to poker. One thing I got really good at was hanging around when short-stacked, and making my way to the final table even if I started out poorly.

I need to play poker again, I miss that, but I was playing the Wednesday night game at a local bar at 10 PM. That meant if you made it to the final table you weren't out of there until 1 AM. And lately I just can't hack those kind of late nights.

One of these days I'm going to enter a tournament in Wendover. It's a pretty short drive and they are usually relatively cheap. I've never played like for actual money. Just with buddies with like $25 buy-ins and online.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2011, 03:06:29 am
My dad taught me knights move one up and two over or two up and one over and it always took me forever to figure out all the places a knight could move. Then I learned the simpler method of one up and one diagonal and the game started going so much faster.


I used to think of it as the opposite corner of a 2x3 rectangle.

Not much of a chess player, though.  Anybody play bridge?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 03:13:59 am
Oh, and JL, I've played San Juan once, but I haven't played Puerto Rico yet

In that case, come visit and I will totally school you.

Anybody ever play Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2011, 03:17:18 am
My current obsession that I'd been waiting for for over a year is Airlines Europe. It's like if Ticket to Ride had sex with Acquire. Hot freaky boardgame sex. Bow chicka wow wa
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2011, 06:00:00 am
I am bringing my Mom's Mah Jongg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah_jongg) set home this time. It's really beautiful - all ivory and bamboo and shit. I probably won't ever play it.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2011, 06:05:19 am
you guys are dorks, the knights move like that one Tetris piece.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2011, 12:41:49 pm
you guys are dorks, the knights move like that one Tetris piece.

THIS
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: miles on October 13, 2011, 12:43:10 pm
Wow, seems like a lot of us are working on our knight moves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRFWQoXq4c). Strange how the knight moves.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2011, 03:53:48 pm
Wow, seems like a lot of us are working on our knight moves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRFWQoXq4c). Strange how the knight moves.

I thought of this previously but couldn't quite find the joke. Cans for making it work.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2011, 12:36:58 am
Movies Combined with The Appropriate Board Game (http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/10/17/movies-combined-with-the-appropriate-board-game-a-gallery/)
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 03:02:49 pm
The lady and I just got a copy of Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries. It's a 2-3 player version with a might tighter map and pretty different rules concerning the locos. I enjoyed it.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on February 15, 2012, 03:17:09 pm
I've seen that, but never played it. My BFF has the German map, which adds a weird dynamic about passengers. It's fun, but I still prefer the standard edition.

I taught my mom to play. She liked it. Muahahahahaaa...
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 03:42:35 pm
Based on this one play I think I prefer TtR: Europe with 4-5 and TtR: Nordic with 2. The Alvin & Dexter expansion I just find stupid.

We've been playing a lot of Kingdom Builder lately. It has some neat randomization mechanics. There are 8 board segments and each game you randomly choose 4. Each segment has a different special power on it, too. Then there's a deck of 10 cards that explain how to score; each game 3 are chosen.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on February 15, 2012, 03:44:57 pm
Speaking of randomization, have you ever played Small World?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 04:07:33 pm
Speaking of randomization, have you ever played Small World?

I have the base game, Ladies, and Be Not Afraid. I've played with Cursed but don't own it. I haven't tried Underworld yet at all.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 15, 2012, 04:12:15 pm
Any of you mugs play Cosmic Encounter? That's my favorite board game ever. I look forward to my kids being old enough to handle it one day.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 04:22:28 pm
I looked that up on the The Geek and my first reaction is "oh god no, negotiation"
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 04:39:33 pm
Oh man, see I would enjoy that game, but I also know it would bring out the absolute worst in me when it comes to my competitive tendencies.  I tend to avoid these games because they draw out the more unsavory parts of my character, I can get into a space where I am venomously fuck*ng someone over and taking things way too seriously.  Best to avoid, but looks like fun for those with better social tact than I.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 15, 2012, 07:38:56 pm
What's that thing Wombat is always saying?

It's like you people are speaking in code.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 07:53:25 pm
Yes, we are actually talking about hot sex, but using words that common lay people do not understand.  Some of the words are actually encoded pictures.  Sucks to be you.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 09:39:20 pm
Oh yeah, we also got Poseidon's Kingdom. The bits are crazy awesome. Look at them (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1191805/poseidons-kingdom). Look at them (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1127469/poseidons-kingdom)!
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: pmcd9 on February 15, 2012, 11:40:21 pm
What's that thing Wombat is always saying?

She says sometimes I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that. She is quoting me.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2012, 12:54:58 am
What Paul said!
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 03:00:18 am
My BFF has the German map, which adds a weird dynamic about passengers.

Do I take the joke here? No, I'll leave it.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 02:28:48 pm
Do I take the joke here? No, I'll leave it.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 04:49:15 pm
This way I get the enjoyment of making the joke and also plausible deniability.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 04:53:36 pm
That's way worse. You made *me* make the joke, mentally, so now I have to feel shitty about it and try not to say it next time we play.

Asshole. 

:-*
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 05:03:42 pm
I'm not proud of myself.


Oh, who am I trying to kid?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2012, 05:56:19 pm
The other day I heard somebody say Stuttgart and thought they were talking about Thurn & Taxis. I'd completely forgotten the name had significance outside of that game.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 16, 2012, 07:44:20 pm
Oh man, see I would enjoy that game, but I also know it would bring out the absolute worst in me when it comes to my competitive tendencies.

It is possible to have multiple/mutual winners in CE. In fact, every so often you get a situation where the obvious path on your final turn is broker a deal so you and another party both win the game, to the annoyance of the other players.  Cort, negotiation, when it happens, is capped at I want to say three minutes.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 08:03:48 pm
That sounds a lot like Diplomacy.

Smells, check out Pandemic (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic). It's a co-op game where you and 3 - 4 other players play against the board, essentially. It's very good for a group of competitive people because it forces you to work together and share resources, but if you do, you all win together.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on February 16, 2012, 09:23:35 pm
Today in reference to a model UN competition she was on her way to, a lady made a joke about how she and her team think Hitler wasn't such a bad guy. Then there was a long, awkward pause and she walked away.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 16, 2012, 09:49:51 pm
That sounds a lot like Diplomacy.

Diplomacy if it were played by frickin' SPACE ALIENS!
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jaydub on February 18, 2012, 05:13:47 pm
Model UN....Godwin'd
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on April 13, 2013, 11:06:57 pm
Hey Cort!

I had a Game of Thrones LCG event at my store today and a bunch of Labyrinth regulars drove down for it. Corey, Ben, Steve, Erick...and one more guy whose name escapes me at the moment. They were super, super nice. Do you know any of that crowd?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2013, 11:21:38 pm
Hey Cort!

I had a Game of Thrones LCG event at my store today and a bunch of Labyrinth regulars drove down for it. Corey, Ben, Steve, Erick...and one more guy whose name escapes me at the moment. They were super, super nice. Do you know any of that crowd?

I've never actually been to Labyrinth. One of my friends goes a lot and The Lady went there once to pick up christmas surprises. I don't actually go into DC all that often.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2013, 06:23:03 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this. Tried it out a few times and it's pretty fun: http://mathwithbaddrawings.com/2013/06/16/ultimate-tic-tac-toe/
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2013, 06:31:40 pm
Wow, this thread. Cort, I just picked up Tokaido. It is amazing. Really different from anything else I've played.

Also, have you played Terra Mystica yet? Good luck getting your hands on a copy. I freaking WORK at a game store and I can't get one for love or money.

Well, I could get one for money -- but it's going for over $130 on eBay due to the print shortage. Come on, Z-Man. Get it together.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2013, 08:23:01 pm
Yeah I thought the free to play, fun to strategize, Ultimate tic-tac-toe was cool, too.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2013, 08:38:16 pm
Sorry...I just despise tic-tac-toe so much. Even the complexier version looks...too much like being bored in church.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2013, 09:25:55 pm
Wow, this thread. Cort, I just picked up Tokaido. It is amazing. Really different from anything else I've played.

I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2013, 09:41:56 pm
I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?
But then you'd have to experience actual Go. In Wash Sq and Union Sq there are Go hustlers that pop up. They "teach" you how to play this extremely simple game and well you fill in the rest.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2013, 09:46:29 pm
She'd prolly try go and hurry up and went.
HEY O
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 22, 2013, 01:45:34 am
It is not exactly a board game but I would love to play Cards Against Humanity with five or six of you rad people some day.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2013, 03:24:47 am
When I Went To Chicago that time I stayed with one of the creators of Cards Against Humanity. He lives with my old college friend.

I think my feelings are way too tender for that game.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on June 22, 2013, 05:13:49 am
That is a great game. I know a few people who have it but I don't own a copy. No point -- all the people I'd want to play with own a set.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 22, 2013, 10:26:10 am
When I Went To Chicago that time I stayed with one of the creators of Cards Against Humanity. He lives with my old college friend.

I think my feelings are way too tender for that game.
Did you ask for a ruler?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on June 22, 2013, 02:59:30 pm
I have no interest in games but I'm really interested in travelling through Japan. Maybe if it's different from all the other games in the world I would like it?

It's pretty different...there's no die roll or other mechanic for determining how far you move on your turn. You just...look down the road and decide where you want your next stop to be.

It's satisfying to play even if you lose, because you can say, "well, he won the game, but I finished all three panoramas, and ate some sushi, so that's cool."
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 22, 2013, 06:13:08 pm
You might wanna de-tenderize those game feelings, 'Nev.

Being on a first-name basis with one of the CaH guys could have you swimming in ladynerd tail in certain circles.

THE GAME IS THAT GOOD.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Choop on June 22, 2013, 06:44:04 pm
the wife's business partner has the original set, played through several times, and three expansion decks, which she hadn't even opened. until a couple weeks ago. we left the original set in its box and shuffled the expansions together, so like all the cards were new to us. good lord that game is ridiculous awful hilarious fun.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Choop on June 23, 2013, 06:32:21 am
i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

A healthy sex life
Morbid obesity
Doritos
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 23, 2013, 06:45:12 pm
Quote from: Choop
i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

A big black dick
A bigger blacker dick
Skeletor
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 23, 2013, 06:47:38 pm
i went from _______ to _______ all thanks to ________

Libertarian anarchist
Normal human
Education
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on June 24, 2013, 01:58:37 pm
Somebody brought Tokaido to my party on Saturday but it didn't make it to the table. I taught Paris Connection and learned Clubs and Legendary.

I have Palaces of Carrara, Trains, and Village Inn all on preorder but I was pretty late to the Carrara party so who knows when I'll actually see that order get filled. Both Thought Hammer and Cool Stuff had stopped taking pre-orders when I placed mine at B&B. Though I at least get in before it was announced as a SdJ nominee. Also, fuck Fred games for letting Fun Again buy every single copy of Taluva so they can sell it at full MSRP.

Some blank CAH cards I like:
Morgran Freeman and James Earl Jones having a tickle-fight
Screech from Saved by the Bell
erotic dentistry
a 5-gallon bucket of puss
Jerry's new girlfriend is obsessed with ______. Kramer opens a felafel cart.
______ a day keeps _______ away.
____. It's what's for dinner.


The only card I've ever seen make people say "Whoa. Maybe take that out of the game." is "the Virginia Tech massacre."
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Choop on June 24, 2013, 02:03:49 pm
"Eating Tom Selleck's mustache to gain his powers"
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on June 24, 2013, 08:15:45 pm
Best/worst one the other night was:

________: Good to the last drop.

The winner?

"The Blood of Christ."

(I was judge, and the only Christian at the table).
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 05, 2013, 05:38:56 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/VO8ss.jpg)
http://i.imgur.com/VO8ss.jpg
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2013, 02:31:33 am
(http://i.imgur.com/VO8ss.jpg)
http://i.imgur.com/VO8ss.jpg

I wish mine were that organized.

JL, I did get to play Tokaido on the 4th. It was fun but I had trouble remembering what did what. Some of the colors were too similar (though we were under very yellow lights) and the icons seemed tiny.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on July 09, 2013, 04:23:07 am
I had trouble telling the rice paddy panorama spaces from the farms at first. Did you enjoy it otherwise though? I find it really different from just about anything else, and I have also found that the character of the game changes depending on who you play with.

I thought I'd already posted this, but ACap, where is that photo from?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2013, 01:00:54 pm
I really need to figure out how to have a chance to play that game. I am sure I would be awesome at telling rice paddies from farms.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on July 09, 2013, 03:23:16 pm
Well, if you can wait 'til mid-August I can bring my copy with me when I come up your way on vacation.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2013, 03:54:24 pm
Are you stopping or just passing through?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: CortJstr on July 10, 2013, 01:03:42 am
I had trouble telling the rice paddy panorama spaces from the farms at first. Did you enjoy it otherwise though? I find it really different from just about anything else, and I have also found that the character of the game changes depending on who you play with.

I thought I'd already posted this, but ACap, where is that photo from?

I did really poorly but I enjoyed it. I think I picked the wrong role card.

Have you played Egizia? It has a similar move as far as you want mechanic.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 20, 2013, 11:18:23 am
I think I could get in to this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/captains-of-industry-city-hall-keller-double-featu?ref=live
and this for little nerds: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danshapiro/*****-turtles-the-board-game-for-little-programmer
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on September 20, 2013, 04:50:48 pm
Are you stopping or just passing through?

How did I miss this reply? I ended up just passing through; things got derailed and we ended up shifting our departure and arrival days by one so it fucked our itinerary a bit. But I'll let you know if I'm heading up that way again any time soon.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2013, 05:16:04 pm
Hey, did you quit your job?
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on September 20, 2013, 10:57:07 pm
I did not.

Yet.

Title: Re: Board games
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 21, 2013, 02:48:18 am
I did not.

Yet.



She owns a part of it last I checked.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2013, 05:59:33 am
She owns a part of it last I checked.

No, I think she decided against that.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: jay-ell on September 30, 2013, 02:05:46 pm
Yeah, no I did not buy in and I'm SO glad. The thing that my boss was doing that made me want to rage-quit fluttered out of his scattered little brain and isn't going to happen. He's got another, nearly as ridiculous, scheme hatching, but I'm hoping if I just stay quiet about it he'll forget about that one too.
Title: Re: Board games
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2014, 07:31:42 am
I just won Twilight Struggle (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle) on ebay. Kind of scared. I want to like it, because I spent money on it, but I don't want to spend 3 hours playing this game too too often.