The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on November 04, 2011, 01:34:10 am
-
Is achewood ever coming back? I don't know. Yet there is a community here where ideas and Opinions are shared. Discussions are had. I just think it is interesting how a message board about a web comic that no longer exists continues to attract a group of people (not even "like minded" people) who perpetuate all sorts of topics. It is a cool thing, but an odd thing.
-
Funny you should bring this up. Assetbar is going out of business at the end of the year, but today, there is a new post. It says "New Strip: Test," and it is a photograph of a chicken dinner. Chicken... tomorrow?
There are also folks lamenting the death of their community, and at the end, this post:
It...it doesn't have to be forever...I mean, we could...if enough of us wanted to....well, alright, dammit I'll just say it. There's always TOUAMB.
-
Achewood is/was a beautiful thing, but even from the start this messageboard has only been tangentially related to the strip that spawned it. I don't know if it's due to the unusual circumstances under which it was created or if it's just the nature of people that like Achewood.
There's always TOUAMB
Oh no!
-
The people who are left there seem perfectly civilized. And loyal to a fault.
-
Speaking of which, when did I get to the top of the list of the top ten posters? Jeez, maybe I need to get a life.
-
Speaking of which, when did I get to the top of the list of the top ten posters?
If you live long enough it's bound to happen.
-
I can't keep up, but I've been trying to make up ground. (It helps that I don't try too hard to come up with good posts.) I was working on the topic starter thing, too, but Paul's a fuck*ng beast at that.
-
TOUAMB is my anti Facebook.
-
I have a thing where I don't get alerts from FB anymore and I really like that.
-
Of course today I am working the fuck out of Facebook because I announced my new artcar magazine (http://www.artcarnation.com/), but that's not on topic so I won't mention it.
-
I knew about that shit way before FB did.
-
I knew about that shit way before FB did.
Of course I brang that shit to y'all first.
-
The last few people still hanging onto the dessicated corpse of the assbar coming this way?
Could be interesting.
-
I've looked at that thing maybe three times. Is GKA the only person who made it here from there? Or at least the only one who stuck? Because he's solid.
-
I've looked at that thing maybe three times. Is GKA the only person who made it here from there? Or at least the only one who stuck? Because he's solid.
most everyone else there thinks asherdan is a complete genitals-head and they wouldnt give this place the time of day.
-
most everyone else there thinks asherdan is a complete genitals-head and they wouldnt give this place the time of day.
So we should be able to meet them halfway?
-
What if we gave them an "Assetbar Refugees" forum, with a promise to stay out of their shit? They'd be welcome to post across the rest of the board (if they behave; the need to realize that our last experience with an Assetbar....uh...individual...was not good). But they could appoint one or two of their own to have mod privileges for their forum to run however they wish*. As long as they don't bring Buffy/Fresca/Whatever handle he goes by these days with them.
I, for one, welcome our new Assetbar overlords underlings. We're all getting old and crotchety around here, time for some fresh meat.
*If the admins think this is kosher. I forgot I'm not one any more for a moment.
-
This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.
My favorite was the woman whose modus operandi was basically "I just tell it like it is. YOU are thoughtless and rude."
Anyway, glad to see this isn't that.
-
This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.
My favorite was the woman whose modus operandi was basically "I just tell it like it is. YOU are thoughtless and rude."
Anyway, glad to see this isn't that.
You take that back, you bastard!
-
JL, I'm sure AssetBar pals will be happy to keep their mess in the playpen/pig-pen and stay away from our grownup pug conversations.
-
I support your idea. However, I don't think it's possible to give someone mod privileges for only one fora. I wouldn't want to make a newbie a mod and have them start fuck*ng shit up in other forums.
-
Yeah, the asset bar folks know we're here and they can come here just like anyone. I don't see a purpose to making up a dedicated section for a group of folks who haven't really established a need for one. It could end up just sitting up there all useless like the Daisy Owl forum after all.
-
I don't think we should do anything special for nobody. Let anyone who'd like integrate themselves on in and we'll have a cheeri-o-go from there.
I agree with this.
Was Poophead ever part of the paid site? I don't know if the free Assbar forum even exists anymore.
-
I think putting in a fora especially for people from another thing would do more harm than good. TOUAMB already ready has kind of a clannish reputation with the asset-barbarians and setting up a segregated place would be like patting your little brother on the head while not really listening to him. Not a good place to start from.
I am not trying to be paternalistic about it. As I said, they are welcome to post anywhere and everywhere they like, I just thought the members who are concerned about their community disintegrating might find it welcoming to have their own sandbox to build castles or piss in as they see fit. Clearly they are wary of us, I am trying to consider ways to mitigate that wariness. I think it would have to be pitched carefully to avoid giving them the idea that we're trying to reign them in, but if I were in their shoes I would welcome a place to play and a promise that they could run that space however they want. If they come here, they have to play by our rules, and since we DO have this clannish rep, maybe letting them be their own tribe within our village where they get to participate in our conversations *and* have their own chats without interference would make them more willing to make the jump.
Yeah, the asset bar folks know we're here and they can come here just like anyone. I don't see a purpose to making up a dedicated section for a group of folks who haven't really established a need for one. It could end up just sitting up there all useless like the Daisy Owl forum after all.
That's exactly what I hope for -- that they come for the dedicated section for their group and end up liking us so much they abandon it and just become regular regulars. The goal is to get them here in a way that makes them feel welcomed on their own terms. Maybe GKA or some other ambassador (Wombles?) could drop in and let them know they're welcome here, and just ask if there is any consensus over there as to whether a dedicated forum would make them feel more comfortable making the switch? If the answer is a resounding "HELLS NO," then clearly I am way off base and they're probably not going to show up anyway.
I support your idea. However, I don't think it's possible to give someone mod privileges for only one fora. I wouldn't want to make a newbie a mod and have them start fuck*ng shit up in other forums.
It is possible; that's how it used to be back in the early days here. Unless there's been a software update that changed it, or I'm misremembering. (Equally likely.)
This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.
Kuro5hin?
-
most everyone else there thinks asherdan is a complete genitals-head and they wouldnt give this place the time of day.
So we should be able to meet them halfway?
Wouldn't we actually be on their turf, then?
I say let 'em come just like everyone else did. GKA didn't need a District 9.
-
So we should be able to meet them halfway?
Wouldn't we actually be on their turf, then?
I say let 'em come just like everyone else did. GKA didn't need a District 9.
GKA is special.
-
I should mention that I think it is very generous and sweet that you offered to set them up with their very own ghetto.
-
I should mention that I think it is very generous and sweet that you offered to set them up with their very own ghetto.
I'm starting to think Assetbar is less a ghetto and more a gated community, compared to this place.
-
I did sort of drop in and suggest that we might not be so awful.
-
Kuro5hin?
Nope. It was the Utne Reader's old forums.
-
I say if they want to come they're certainly welcome, but I don't see any need to create there own special space for them herein. It's not like it's hard to find a place to socially mediafy on the interweb these days.
-
From what I recall, we had several people from assetbar here while it was down. They all seemed to pass muster except for that one dude.
-
I guess the big question is, do we really want them here, or not? And if so, do we want them enough to change our long-established policies of xenophobia and general misanthropy? I mean, our rep for being insular and elitist is not baseless.
I mean, thinking back eight years, if another of the Dumbrella boards had said to us, Hey, you can join our already-established group, as long as you do it on our terms, and accept that if we don't like you after a few weeks, we'll haze, ridicule, and possibly ban you, doesn't that sound great? I think I would have turned firmly on my heel and never looked back. But if they'd said, Hey, we're closing your community, but if you want to join these other guys, we'll take steps to make sure you guys can keep your clique intact within this larger group -- well, that's a different story.
How many people are we talking about, anyway? A handful? A dozen? On onslaught? I think that's the key. I'm imagining a group about the size of our regulars, which by my count is about two dozen. That's a lot of new folks to absorb at once for a group like us, and I was just thinking it might be easier starting out if we let them have their own space at first while they re-orient to the new world order. If we're only talking about a half dozen, well, having a separate section would be silly. But if the old guard are going to suddenly find ourselves in the minority, history tells me that's a recipe for either a reign of tyranny or a bloody coup.
Apparently, I'm as misguided as the directors at Inev's internship, here, but I promise you I am only trying to suggest things that would benefit both groups. I would really like to hear from some Assetbarbarians on this, to see whether joining us here is even a serious consideration for most of them.
-
I guess the big question is, do we really want them here, or not? And if so, do we want them enough to change our long-established policies of xenophobia and general misanthropy? I mean, our rep for being insular and elitist is not baseless.
In my case, these are more characteristics or traits than policies.
I mean, thinking back eight years, if another of the Dumbrella boards had said to us, Hey, you can join our already-established group, as long as you do it on our terms, and accept that if we don't like you after a few weeks, we'll haze, ridicule, and possibly ban you, doesn't that sound great? I think I would have turned firmly on my heel and never looked back. But if they'd said, Hey, we're closing your community, but if you want to join these other guys, we'll take steps to make sure you guys can keep your clique intact within this larger group -- well, that's a different story.
I think there's a lot of from between "haze, ridicule, and possibly ban" and "create a special board just for you". Yeah, us OGs got a break and didn't get put through the mill as much as later members (although there was some brutality and smack laid down by our old-time evil overlord on occasion) but that's part of building a community. We were here in the beginning (many of us), we created the community, people joined, and the people who liked it stayed.
How many people are we talking about, anyway? A handful? A dozen? On onslaught? I think that's the key. I'm imagining a group about the size of our regulars, which by my count is about two dozen. That's a lot of new folks to absorb at once for a group like us, and I was just thinking it might be easier starting out if we let them have their own space at first while they re-orient to the new world order. If we're only talking about a half dozen, well, having a separate section would be silly. But if the old guard are going to suddenly find ourselves in the minority, history tells me that's a recipe for either a reign of tyranny or a bloody coup.
There won't be a coup if we don't recklessly (in my opinion) give some new folks mod powers.
Apparently, I'm as misguided as the directors at Inev's internship, here, but I promise you I am only trying to suggest things that would benefit both groups. I would really like to hear from some Assetbarbarians on this, to see whether joining us here is even a serious consideration for most of them.
I for one appreciate your efforts. I also agree that it might be a moot point anyway. Let's wait and see, and if we need to adjust things afterwards we can. Quite frankly, if there are a lot of changes made around here that affect the way things are run and especially the tone, I don't know how interested the older folk are going to be in hanging out. I like things the way they are, actually. And yes, this is partially my lawn and I don't like kids on it.
(The preceding is probably not worth more than 2 cents.)
(Also, I guess if it were a big deal we could move this discussion somewhere else.)
(Also also, sometimes when I look at this title I think 'Let's Get Metarded" and I'm pretty sure I don't like that. Fuck you Will.I.Am.)
-
You guys do realize this conversation is in public, right? So anybody considering coming here can see the discussion of if they're wanted here?
-
You guys do realize this conversation is in public, right? So anybody considering coming here can see the discussion of if they're wanted here?
That's why I mentioned moving it.
-
I did mention that we believed in not being a dick to a stranger as long as the stranger believed in the same principle.
-
I did mention that we believed in not being a dick to a stranger as long as the stranger believed in the same principle.
I don't have the world's best memory, but it seems to me that we usually have operated that way towards most people, at least here. The only people I have been really shirty with are long-timers.
-
All we're really talking about is adding a new fora where the assbar folks can talk about assbar things. There would be nothing preventing them from coming in to the other parts of the board. Conversely there would be nothing stopping us from posting in their fora. The question I have is do we really need a new fora for that or should we just encourage them to start new topics that cover their issues. Do they have issues? Do they talk about different shit than we do over here? Aren't we really pretty much the same as them except they hate us because Ash used to fuck with them all the time?
-
There's also the idea that probably a lot of the assbarbarians were probably at this point paying money specifically to attempt to ingratiate themselves to the artist on the message board, you know?
There's no Access to Onstad here and there hasn't been in forever.
I'm not triple-old-school but I'd say... I'd be open to the idea of a few of their stragglers trickling in if they want but not particularly worrying about it or putting any specific effort about it either way.
It might turn out that the hardcore people from that place just start a facebook or googleplus place to hang out together... or their own little message board thing... and don't even think of our little corner of the datasphere.
We might be way overthinking a situation where really only two or three new people ever pop by here for long enough to stick.
-
There's no Access to Onstad here and there hasn't been in forever.
There neither. Someone has downloaded the whole of the content there and offered to post a link to it unless Assbar or Onstad ask them not to. The post has been up since mid October, I think, and there has been no answer
-
There neither. Someone has downloaded the whole of the content there and offered to post a link to it unless Assbar or Onstad ask them not to. The post has been up since mid October, I think, and there has been no answer
Kind of ouch. That makes me feel like no one's really going to be concerned about having an assbar-centric place to chat.
-
I might have been unclear there - I mean no answer from Onstad. There has been considerable discussion of whether the stuff will disappear altogether and wishing Onstad would make a book of it or put it up somewhere else. When there was no news about that, someone decided to take action and save the stuff and offer it to others if he does not object. But apparently Onstad does not read the forum.
-
Anybody who wants to join can join. They can stay as long as they aren't a dick to strangers. That's pretty much always been the policy, hasn't it?
I, uh, don't see anybody lining up at the doors though.
-
Anybody who wants to join can join. They can stay as long as they aren't a dick to strangers. That's pretty much always been the policy, hasn't it?
I, uh, don't see anybody lining up at the doors though.
There's CortesDiddy (http://touamb.com/index.php?action=profile;u=12206). Of course, out of the last ~50 signups, the only regular posters have all been the same troll, so probably not a lot going to come of the latest member.
-
Is this Cortesdiddy an Assbarbarian?
-
Hell, send him an email and find out - you're our most gregarious member, I figure.
-
Hey all you assbar fags. We've laid out a blanket in the corner for you to crash on.
-
That's why I mentioned moving it.
I really need to get serious about getting to the point where I am "elsewhere" as well.
My feelings: I can lurk a big board just as much as a small board.
-
Hey all you assbar fags. We've laid out a blanket in the corner for you to crash on.
you get a sixer for that, dude.
-
Hey all you assbar fags. We've laid out a blanket in the corner for you to crash on.
Now, now - don't be a dick.
-
I thought that was a nice invitation!
-
I, uh, don't see anybody lining up at the doors though.
I did see this post:
Not all is lost. I know it.
At least we didn't end up at TOUAMB.
-
I thought that was a nice invitation!
Nope. Can't say fags.
-
Didn't you call us rock n roll faggots recently?
-
Didn't you call us rock n roll faggots recently?
Yeah, but we're tight already.
-
Didn't you call us rock n roll faggots recently?
Would you like a shot of grenadine with a cock ring floater?
-
Would you like a shot of grenadine with a cock ring floater?
Fool now I want a Roy Roger and no one is going to sell a grown ass man a Roy Roger at this hour.
-
Would you like a shot of grenadine with a cock ring floater?
You owe me a new igneous thong.