The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on November 16, 2011, 09:52:53 pm

Title: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on November 16, 2011, 09:52:53 pm
Do we want to have another secret Santa this year? I do.

I will organize it unless someone else steps up. Just PM me your mailing address and any pertinent information (links to wish lists, etc) and I will get it together.

Ground rules:

1) Do not sign up unless you are certain that you have the funds, time, and motivation to get something sent out no later than Jan 1.
2) Do not sign up unless you are willing to send a gift with no expectation of getting anything back. Even if everyone adheres to rule #1, sometimes things happen.
3) There is no recommended price range, but do not spend more than you can reasonably afford in the expectation of getting something awesome in return. See rule #2.
4) Handmade gifts are welcome, even preferred.
5) Unboxing photos are required.
6) If you really, really, really have something specific in mind for a particular person, AND you have never drawn that person in the past, let me know in the PM when you sign up. I will do my best to honor these requests and will draw the rest at random.

That is all! You have until November 30 to sign up. I will send out the names and addresses on Dec. 1.

Hooray!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 16, 2011, 09:58:05 pm
Word. PM sent.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2011, 10:03:10 pm
I organized it last year and would be happy to do it again, and am probably a lot less busy than you are, but it's not a particularly time-consuming task so if you've already started and want to continue, that is cool.

Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 16, 2011, 10:45:40 pm
Oh man. The drama.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2011, 10:48:34 pm
I would like to.  If I draw Paul again, I promise to do a better job this year man!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2011, 10:51:27 pm
I'm in even though the last two times haven't turned out that well for me.  Third times the charm.  What can I say, I'm an optimist.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on November 16, 2011, 11:14:13 pm
My question is: would everybody be cool with shipping to Canadaland?  If so, I am so in this year. Please keep on mind shipping to the USA from here is more costly than the other way around, so I am up for accepting the shit end of the stick here in order to be part of the fun.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 16, 2011, 11:36:11 pm
My major issue is that... I don't know what address I'll be at by Chrimbus.

Maybe I'll just send my folks' address because, one way or the other, I'll be up there around Christmas to visit...

I got something superawesome back last year. I never got anything the year before that. Giving was fun both times, tho.

I'll PM you my folks' address.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2011, 11:53:36 pm
I'm in even though the last two times haven't turned out that well for me.  Third times the charm.  What can I say, I'm an optimist.

Hey! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4198143774/)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2011, 01:18:57 am
I got something superawesome back last year.

Damn straight

Hey! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4198143774/)

I think Paul's referring to his gifts not arriving in a timely fashion causing some friction
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on November 17, 2011, 01:24:16 am
My question is: would everybody be cool with shipping to Canadaland?  If so, I am so in this year. Please keep on mind shipping to the USA from here is more costly than the other way around, so I am up for accepting the shit end of the stick here in order to be part of the fun.

Let's do this: if anyone can't afford to/doesn't want to ship to Canada (or Australia), let me know in the PM and I will exclude you from the possibilities for the farthest flung of our far-flung family. That'll let Doc in on the action if he wants. (Anyone else outside the Continental? Deja, perhaps?)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2011, 01:27:52 am
If we can get Doc in on this to send me wombat things I will gladly pay anyone's postage to Australia.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 17, 2011, 01:34:03 am
leprechaun(lprkn) is in a foreign land, as well.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on November 17, 2011, 01:41:02 am
Oh, yes, of course! But don't domestic shipping rates still apply to overseas military bases?

I have no experience in this.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2011, 01:52:11 am
And/or if we can get lprkn to send me stuff from Japan I will gladly pay anyone's postage to there.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2011, 02:12:30 am
I would really like to do this, but I am worried about my chronic procrastination. I do not want to be That Guy again. Hm.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on November 17, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Well then I guess I'd better be in.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2011, 07:09:14 am
I think Paul's referring to his gifts not arriving in a timely fashion causing some friction

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  The cookies (and that picture) were awesome.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2011, 01:32:03 pm
Well then I guess I'd better be in.

YES!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2011, 02:43:46 pm
I'm in.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 17, 2011, 02:45:04 pm
Oh fine, if everyone else is doing it...
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on November 17, 2011, 02:52:20 pm
For additional clarification, is it okay if the sender's identity is revealed when the gift is sent?  I have certain ideas in mind of what I might give that would basically make clear the gift was sent by me to whoever received it.  Is that okay?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2011, 04:26:58 pm
Yes, haven't we always done it that way? But yeah.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on November 17, 2011, 05:08:10 pm
IIRC, Somebody nice got all cranky with Paul.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on November 17, 2011, 06:10:39 pm
Yes, haven't we always done it that way? But yeah.

Yes, we have. There have been cases when the sender has been sneaky, but mostly people send stuff with signed notes.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2011, 08:40:02 pm
I am totally cool with identity-reveal upon receipt.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 17, 2011, 11:57:22 pm
i always thought the secret about secret santa only lasted until you received the gift.....
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: lprkn on November 18, 2011, 03:58:37 am
Oh, yes, of course! But don't domestic shipping rates still apply to overseas military bases?

I have no experience in this.

Yep, you just have to fill out a customs form when you send the package. It's easy.

For the record, I'm in. I'll send you my address.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2011, 07:09:29 pm
I'm in. PM with address forthcoming. Some of those rules could be combined into "circumstances may cause things to be shipped late or not at all, if this is a problem for you don't sign up".
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2011, 01:11:57 am
JL, did you forget about this?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 06, 2011, 12:35:17 am
I did not, I have just been on a sort of forced hiatus from online life due to Thanksgiving followed by having to be a single mom for a week while Pedro attended a business conference followed immediately by being really horribly ill with a bitching sinus infection. I have only been checking in on Facebook and such via my phone, I didn't even turn on my laptop for about six days in a row.

EDIT: I sent out assignments just now; they were randomly chosen by a web page so don't blame me. Sorry again for the delay in getting this sorted.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 01:07:24 am
No thing but a chicken wing, as they say. Hope you are feeling more well.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 06, 2011, 02:11:00 am
im glad youre not dead, ma'am.  also, thanks.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 04:03:42 am
And yes, remiss in not thanking you for setting things up here.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2011, 05:24:19 am
I figured fambly stuff was keeping you busy.  Haven't even seen much from you on FB, which is lower maintenance than TOUAMB

(it really is - how hard is it to click like a couple times?)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2011, 05:37:43 pm
I have no ideas at all for my person. This is going to be tough.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 06:09:42 pm
Me neither. I'mma do that animal bone thing Ash talked about. Sorry!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 11, 2011, 05:27:35 pm
I'm knitting something for my person, so whoever you are, please be patient. It will definitely be mailed by Jan 1, but it's probably not going to be there before Christmas morning, sorry.

Meanwhile, Wombat makes the rest of us look bad, as usual.

(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/71f445b5.jpg)

(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/9dfcfc80.jpg)

(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/53b83f30.jpg)

(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/b149bda4.jpg)

(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/5cf81b89.jpg)

She also sent a copy of her latest book, which I had already purchased, read, and liked so much I had decided to buy another copy for a friend. The box arrived literally moments before I was about to click "place order" at amazon.com, so I took the book out of my cart and will give my friend the copy you sent, wombles. So in addition to the awesome magnets and ornament, you also did some of my Christmas shopping for me! Thanks!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 11, 2011, 06:42:53 pm
I am pretty sure that ornament will be one of the ones that you hang on the back of the tree where no one can see it, but I was hoping it was the thought that counts.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 11, 2011, 07:54:12 pm
I am pretty sure that ornament will be one of the ones that you hang on the back of the tree where no one can see it, but I was hoping it was the thought that counts.

Actually, I hung it near the top, where I put all the nice ones that I don't want the kids to break.

I am impressed by your skill, wombles. The photos really do not do them justice, they are really nicely made. I have worked with polymer clay enough to know that it's hard to get such nice results, they are really top-notch.

Also, I thought you would be gratified to know that my daughter asked about the refrigerator magnets, and I took the opportunity to teach her the names of all the Achewood characters.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 11, 2011, 08:21:16 pm
Also, I thought you would be gratified to know that my daughter asked about the refrigerator magnets, and I took the opportunity to teach her the names of all the Achewood characters.

Education.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 12, 2011, 05:15:16 am
Hey, if any of you who didn't message me wants to get in on this, it's not too late!

I just got messaged by someone whose PM apparently got eaten and never made it to my inbox. If I can get another volunteer (or two or three) in the next couple of days we can arrange a second round of giving and receiving. PM me if you want in.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2011, 06:16:46 am
**green**

Ditto!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2011, 01:50:55 pm
Hey, if any of you who didn't message me wants to get in on this, it's not too late!

I just got messaged by someone whose PM apparently got eaten and never made it to my inbox. If I can get another volunteer (or two or three) in the next couple of days we can arrange a second round of giving and receiving. PM me if you want in.

I think something like this happened last year and I just rearranged the list to slot them in. Because, you know, most people haven't done anything about it yet at this point anyway so it doesn't matter if you switch out who they're buying for.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 12, 2011, 09:11:33 pm
I think something like this happened last year and I just rearranged the list to slot them in. Because, you know, most people haven't done anything about it yet at this point anyway so it doesn't matter if you switch out who they're buying for.

I had another taker who had previously messaged me on Facebook, where I didn't see it amongst all the junk and crap I get there. So I just swapped them with each other. It worked out.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 12, 2011, 09:39:55 pm
Thanks for getting Christmas together, Mom!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2011, 01:36:53 am
I went out to shop for my secret Santa person, and as I was having a pre-shopping lunch with a friend, I got an email alert about suspicious activity on my credit card (~$3200 in foreign currency spent at Target). So my card got canceled. Fortunately my friend funded the shopping. I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go over this year. I set the bar high for myself last year (considering this will be the one gift anyone will get from me for any occasion this year).
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2011, 11:08:34 am
I've got my person's gift in hand.  Now to get it to the post office.  Monday!!!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 19, 2011, 05:12:52 pm
Yeah, I'm going to try shipping today before I fly back to work. If not, well, I'll be the dick this year. Merry Christmas, everybody (http://youtu.be/TpmiPbDkvBQ)!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 19, 2011, 11:34:18 pm
Shipped and I am currently at the bus stop. As I mentioned elsewhere, one hour in post office listening to the mélange (ménage?) of two radio stations.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 20, 2011, 02:19:24 pm
I bought yarn and needles and chose a pattern, that counts for something, right?

I've actually been saving this project to work on during the drive North tomorrow. It's a pattern I've made before, with just a few tweaks, so I am pretty sure it won't take me more than four hours, and I've got at least twelve hours of riding time ahead of me. I'll post it from whatever city I'm in when it's finished, so whoever gets it will probably be a little mystified by the postmark.

Or would have been, before reading this thread.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 20, 2011, 02:52:48 pm
My gift is on back-order. Any day now.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 21, 2011, 01:12:20 pm
Sneak Peek for Secret Santa
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6548730359_aeb4780309.jpg)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 21, 2011, 05:26:24 pm
There's a series of Best Buy commercials running now that annoy the shit out of me. You really think showing people be cocks to Santa is a good way to get people to shop at your store?

There's also Patrick Warburton shilling for some car company or other. One of those ads came on last night, and it opened with "Elves are shoddy craftsmen." I literally said out loud to the TV, "Maaaaaaaan, FUCK you." Leave the elves alone, you tool.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 21, 2011, 05:52:14 pm
I had almost the exact same reaction to both of those commercials.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2011, 07:17:47 pm
Commercials where people sell products by being assholes about getting gifts that are inferior to the advertised product piss me off to no end.

It's a fuck*ng present, show some goddamned gratitude.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on December 21, 2011, 08:03:05 pm
The one that gets me is the series of Lexus commercials where people hint at the extravagant gift they are giving by having something play a jingle.  Actually the whole concept of "buying a car as a gift" just seems preposterous to me.  Last time I looked, a car payment was a sizable chunk of the budget.  If my wife went off and "bought me a car", that would be most unwelcome unless she had a lottery windfall or came into an inheritance or something.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2011, 08:07:25 pm
Always wondered about the big car with a bow. That really could only happen if the couple was multi-millionaire income wealthy, right? And so it wouldn't even be that big of a deal.

I hope I'm Paul's target. That gift looks awesome.

I won't argue that elves are shoddy craftsman, though. You want something made right, you hire a dwarf.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2011, 08:21:29 pm
ALSO: that best buy commercial The Mayor mentions? I went past a best buy on lunch and bought a few things from a Staples instead. I'm not big on ca$h to the crass when I have other easy options.

If you buy office supplies and you don't shop at Office Max (http://youtu.be/Qc_O5CdS9cI), you should be ashamed of yourself. There is no better ad campaign.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 21, 2011, 09:31:40 pm
No pressure, Paul.

Dang! 
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: miles on December 22, 2011, 06:10:01 am
The one that gets me is the series of Lexus commercials where people hint at the extravagant gift they are giving by having something play a jingle.  Actually the whole concept of "buying a car as a gift" just seems preposterous to me.  Last time I looked, a car payment was a sizable chunk of the budget.  If my wife went off and "bought me a car", that would be most unwelcome unless she had a lottery windfall or came into an inheritance or something.

This got me wondering how effective they were and started to look up some articles but decided I didn't care.

But this particular one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sMZ-hiTOU) bugs the shit out of me. I just want to smack the goofy grin off of that handsome face.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2011, 03:33:36 pm
The top comments on that one are good. These adds imply that the Lexus theme song is instantly recognizable. Which, if you're filthy rich enough that you can buy your partner a Lexus without discussing it beforehand, maybe it is.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2011, 03:40:37 pm
The top comments on that one are good. These adds imply that the Lexus theme song is instantly recognizable. Which, if you're filthy rich enough that you can buy your partner a Lexus without discussing it beforehand, maybe it is.

But presumably if you're that filthy rich you're buying a nicer car than a Toyota with a fancy gold logo.

I've only seen one of the Patrick Warburton ads and I remember him basically saying "who buys a car as a present?"
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2011, 03:59:32 pm
Quote
The one that gets me is the series of Lexus commercials where people hint at the extravagant gift they are giving by having something play a jingle.  Actually the whole concept of "buying a car as a gift" just seems preposterous to me.  Last time I looked, a car payment was a sizable chunk of the budget.  If my wife went off and "bought me a car", that would be most unwelcome unless she had a lottery windfall or came into an inheritance or something.

My uncle bought my aunt a car for her birthday, and this was her reaction. He did not understand why it made her mad that he spent mad change on a car she didn't really want.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2011, 06:28:20 pm
If you buy office supplies and you don't shop at Office Max (http://youtu.be/Qc_O5CdS9cI), you should be ashamed of yourself. There is no better ad campaign.

Hey Crabman.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 23, 2011, 04:07:11 am
The front office girls in my last office would traffic in rubber bands and paper clips like they were treasures and antiquities. I was basically hailed as a deity when I flipped open the Staples catalog and ordered a mountain of office supplies. Being the Rubber Band man is a special feeling. A special feeling that comes along with knowing how to operate a catalog and an amex card.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2011, 04:12:07 pm
What you've all been waiting for:
(http://www.rebsig.com/LL/ssanta1.jpg)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2011, 04:12:56 pm
Hope you don't mind I decided to gussy it up a bit.
(http://www.rebsig.com/LL/ssanta2.jpg)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2011, 10:14:04 pm
I did?  Oh wait, you're referring to your son.  For the record, I find it cute too.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 25, 2011, 12:26:27 am
Is that a hoss manure figurine?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2011, 01:06:09 am
WHY FIND OUT
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 25, 2011, 02:26:39 am
mythbusters taught me that its possible to polish a turd.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2011, 06:19:01 am
Man I dodged a bullet getting you last year.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2011, 01:37:15 pm
The bird did suffer a bit on the journey. It lost a pupil from one eye and its legs are loose. You need to pack the next one more tightly for shipping, if there is a next one.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 25, 2011, 06:53:19 pm
The bird did suffer a bit on the journey. It lost a pupil from one eye and its legs are loose. You need to pack the next one more tightly for shipping, if there is a next one.

I'd like to place an order for one.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2011, 05:26:24 am
It's a bummer your sig link got filtered.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 29, 2011, 05:03:56 am
I finished my gift just moments ago. I am going to try to get to the PO tomorrow to mail it so I don't run afoul of my own deadline. I am super excited about it.

I just showed Pedro the Turd Bird and he just shook his head and backed slowly away.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2011, 05:29:11 am
Nooo, don't tell me Pedro is not down with the turd bird.  The turd bird is awesome.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2011, 01:31:36 pm
Maybe he needs to see it closer up. I could mail it to him.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 29, 2011, 09:45:28 pm
That was Cort that got the bullet.

(http://www.cortjstr.com/images/ssanta.jpg)
Is that a lock of your hair?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 30, 2011, 03:02:49 pm
now he can clone your hoss, dude!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 02:45:21 am
(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/package.jpg)

Put the package in the mail today! 

Also learned how to post an image directly in a message post today (yeah, I know I'm years late on this one!)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on December 31, 2011, 03:17:11 am
Mine also was mailed today. Because of where it's going, it could be another week before it actually arrives, though.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 03:29:03 am
Oh, mine will take up to 12 business days, so it will be a couple weeks probably.  I just hope customs doesn't decide to pop it open, as it will look shitty if it gets all messed up.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 03:57:32 am
Mine has a long way to travel as well.  It should be there soon though.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on December 31, 2011, 04:07:37 am
Mine went in the mail yesterday but I don't know how long it will take due to being mailed from an undisclosed location.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2011, 06:51:05 am
Nothing against the rest of you and you know you are rad, but I hope sMells had me.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2011, 04:50:41 pm
Last night I had a nightmare that customs opened the gift I sent, and due to some of the content, I was fined in such a manner as to be financially crippled.  To the person who is getting my gift, please let me know when it arrives, so I can stop worrying, okay?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on December 31, 2011, 07:23:40 pm
Last night I had a nightmare that customs opened the gift I sent, and due to some of the content, I was fined in such a manner as to be financially crippled.  To the person who is getting my gift, please let me know when it arrives, so I can stop worrying, okay?
Damn, Nabu you can take it. I can't deal with that kind of pressure.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2011, 07:32:43 pm
I don't care who has me.  I know it's going to be awesome.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 01:11:53 am
Oh sure, Doc - we already knew it wasn't you!

I dreamed about Tom Hanks last night (he was pretty incidental to the dream, though).
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: lprkn on January 01, 2012, 03:18:02 am
Jaydub sent me a lot of giant cookies! I actually got them last week. I would/should have taken pictures, but they were cookies, and I ate them instead.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2012, 06:39:10 am
Wise decision.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on January 02, 2012, 06:38:08 pm
Merry Christmas, Pat!  I forgot to include a card, but I decided you would figure out what they were about. 
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2012, 11:33:09 pm
Merry Christmas, Pat!  I forgot to include a card, but I decided you would figure out what they were about. 

Was your name on them, or will Pat eat anything that comes in the mail for him?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 03, 2012, 12:00:43 am
...will Pat eat anything that comes in the mail for him?

if yes, just think of the pranks one could play... [[maniacal laughter]]
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 03, 2012, 12:28:08 am
Apparently he ate Okinawan pig intestine soup lately, so you might have to work hard to top that.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on January 03, 2012, 01:55:48 am
Return address on the package, I'm thinking.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2012, 05:39:41 am
Return address on the package, I'm thinking.

I prefer to think he has unending faith in the iron stomach of a soldier.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 03, 2012, 06:01:20 am
They were delicious cookies.  Sometimes you've just gotta take your chances.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2012, 10:35:32 am
I'm kind of bummed my gift has not been announced here yet - I sent it two weeks ago. Fuckin' mailman probably stole it.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: lprkn on January 03, 2012, 12:12:57 pm
Return address on the package, I'm thinking.

Speaking of which, I'm your Secret Santa. I got you something (a few days late), but they were supposed to notify you via email address. I gave them the gmail you had listed on your facebook profile. Don't know if you check it regularly or not. Let me know if you haven't heard anything.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 03, 2012, 02:00:46 pm
I'm kind of bummed my gift has not been announced here yet - I sent it two weeks ago. Fuckin' mailman probably stole it.

Yeah, I'm getting kinda antsy too.  Every time I see a new post in this thread I'm thinking that my gift has finally arrived.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 03, 2012, 03:15:58 pm
I got a manila envelope in the mail last week that was ripped open and had what looked like tire marks on it. Mail delivery ain't what it used to be.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 03, 2012, 04:56:35 pm
I got a manila envelope in the mail last week that was ripped open and had what looked like tire marks on it. Mail delivery ain't what it used to be.

Ain't that the truth.  About two months ago I got a package.  It was supposed to contain season 5 of Dexter and seasons 1 and 2 of Breaking Bad.  But the package was ripped open and empty.  It was inside of a plastic bag from the post office that had a note on it saying something to the effect of "Sorry if this is an inconvenience"
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 03, 2012, 07:17:39 pm
I got all excited when I stopped at home for lunch today and a postal worker rang the bell, but it wasn't a gift, it was some ##### I ordered from Old Navy.  The delivery date on those was supposed to be January 7th, but there they were.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 04, 2012, 12:30:18 am
OK, one of you gets your gift-angst relieved at this moment.

Look at the box of awesomeness that was awaiting me when I got home:

(http://www.bigfool.com/huuugs/TouambXmas2011.jpg)

Heirloom beans and lentils, some kinda crunchy nut snack thing, really awesome chocolate bars, tea, a Thai sauce, a copy of Edible Portland, and a rockin' band sticker. Most of it from Portland.

(One candy bar not pictured because we ate it for dessert tonight, which is how I know they're really awesome.)

FUCK and YES.

I just hope whatever Nabu's secret Santa sends him is equally awesome. (Nudge nudge wink wink.)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on January 04, 2012, 03:36:56 am
Lprkn got me a Russian mail-order bride!
(https://c681197.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/images/contributors/maria-popova.jpg)

Actually its a clever person who will send me three sets of curiosities throughout the year.  I'm intrigued...
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2012, 01:12:47 am
Nice one, Jaydub!



The Mayor delivers the goods! I actually put a hold on this book at the library, but I'm like hold number 97 and there's maybe two copies or something. I would never have gotten to read this. To the right of the book (and seriously, if you can find a copy, check it out, even if you don't give a shit about Lego. There is some crazy, crazy shit in it) there is the official 2011 bigfool mix, complete with original artwork and liner notes. Also, the correct Achewood to go with, which I would link to but I'm getting "500-Internal Server Error", so i guess Chris's tip jar is on the light side. Eh, you know which one it is.

Ch-ch-check it out!
(http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3257/xmasg.jpg)



Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2012, 01:26:59 am
I also meant to point out (but forgot) that the Mayor got me this book based on (I believe) one offhand post here by me, whereas it was pretty easy for me to know a dude likes to cook.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2012, 12:03:16 am
It's a wombat surprise!
(http://www.rebsig.com/LL/cannedwombat.jpg)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2012, 12:04:31 am
Joining the wombat collection (with some echidnas sticking their noses in)
(http://www.rebsig.com/LL/wombatcollection.jpg)
Oops, the can was the wrong way round. Well, it's not easy to wrangle that many wombats, you know.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2012, 10:30:07 am
Are we not to know who sent you this lovely can of Wombat?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2012, 01:56:43 pm
Can't you guess? It is authentic imported wombat.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2012, 01:54:43 pm
I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear if my gift was received and to also (possibly) receive something.  At the latest, what I sent should arrive on the 17th, but that's at the absolute latest and at least within the country, with other packages, things have been moving nice and fast.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on January 08, 2012, 02:26:36 pm
Yeah, I imagine my Official secret santa should be turning up soonish as it was posted the same day as Wombat's.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2012, 08:03:39 pm
Mine was mailed on the 21st so it's gotta be turning up soon.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 10, 2012, 02:30:26 am
Yay!  I got my gift today, and it's a super awesome hand-knit kitty hat from JL!  It's super cool!  JL notes the colour is reminiscent of "Roast Beef" hence the sad kitty face in the middle photo.

(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/meow.jpg)(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/sadcat.jpg)(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/coolhat.jpg)

At first, because it's so light weight, I thought it wouldn't be well suited for a Canadian winter, but after the brief modeling session above I was getting super hot and am certain this cute little toque will do me well for the harsh winter to come.  It's made of natural wool, which makes all the difference.  Not pictured are the adorable pom-poms that help to keep the ear flaps down.

FYI I had grandiose plans to learn to knit several years ago, but just couldn't pick it up despite my best efforts, so I really appreciate the skill that went into making this!

I'm so grateful for this awesome new hat, especially because I was just thinking about getting a new one for myself this morning as my current toque looks quite ragged - thanks so much JL!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2012, 06:18:19 am
 A can for JL and everyone that sent out the awesome gifts.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on January 10, 2012, 08:56:37 am
That totally is Roast Beef color. Rad.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on January 10, 2012, 01:21:09 pm
Yay!  I got my gift today, and it's a super awesome hand-knit kitty hat from JL!  It's super cool!  JL notes the colour is reminiscent of "Roast Beef" hence the sad kitty face in the middle photo.

At first, because it's so light weight, I thought it wouldn't be well suited for a Canadian winter, but after the brief modeling session above I was getting super hot and am certain this cute little toque will do me well for the harsh winter to come.  It's made of natural wool, which makes all the difference.  Not pictured are the adorable pom-poms that help to keep the ear flaps down.

FYI I had grandiose plans to learn to knit several years ago, but just couldn't pick it up despite my best efforts, so I really appreciate the skill that went into making this!

I'm so grateful for this awesome new hat, especially because I was just thinking about getting a new one for myself this morning as my current toque looks quite ragged - thanks so much JL!


Hooray! I am glad that my gift turned out to be practical as well as fun. giraffeerman's wool really is warm, I was sweating just holding it in my lap working on it. And the lightweightness also means it fits well under a hood, should you need an extra layer of protection.

I was torn between leaving it unadorned and adding an embroidered kitty face to it, but Pedro said, "Leave it plain. Let her be the kitty." I'm glad I listened, those kitty pics are so cute!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 10, 2012, 01:21:54 pm
if i didnt have my very own JL hat, i would be hella jealous.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2012, 04:54:08 pm
if i didnt have my very own JL hat, i would be hella jealous.

Tell me about it. I feel like I will be in secret santa until I get one. But what if I never do?

Seriously, secret santa has come through with flying colors - good work everyone!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 10, 2012, 05:16:57 pm
I'm glad there's no kitty face on the hat.  The way it is now, it's quirky enough to suit my style without being too silly to wear for work.  Since I'm out and about in the community so much with work, I can pull the cat hat off, but I don't think I could pull a kitty-faced hat off and still meet the some-what loose standards of professionalism my workplace upholds.  I was thinking about adding a few mini-buttons to it for good measure at some point. In fact I have a rabbit ambulance pin I've never used if I want to get all meta on this thing.  Tomorrow we're getting a cold snap, so it is so on!

Also, still wondering when/if my gift will reach it's destination.  JL's took til yesterday and was mailed one business day before mine, so I'm thinking maybe soon?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2012, 03:21:56 am
You look straight-up adorable in that hat.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2012, 08:37:55 am
according to amazon, my secret santa gift was supposed to have been delivered by the 18th, at the latest.  it is 2 days later and there is no word.  what the fuck?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on January 20, 2012, 09:22:47 am
Yeah, I'm wondering the same about mine since Wombat got hers a couple of weeks back now.
There may have been mitigating circumstances though where the person would not receive it or may not be around to post about it so I'm going to leave it a couple of days. Not least because since I posted it when I was in NZ I have no idea how I'd start to follow it up.

I, on the other hand, just came back down to my Dad's and there was a totally awesome package waiting for me but unboxing photos and full disclosure will have to wait a couple of days for a less crap internet connection. Suffice to say, my Secret Santa knows how to rock socks. He's a sock rocker.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 20, 2012, 09:35:11 am
The person I gave a gift to received the package yesterday, so I can now breath easy.  Perhaps there are unboxing photos to come?  We'll see.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2012, 02:43:35 pm
I am still have nothing to unbox.  However, I am glad that socks have been rocked.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2012, 06:32:50 pm
I'm just happy to know that Doc has his box full of socks.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 20, 2012, 08:31:54 pm
Does Doc box a gox in his yellow gox box socks?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 10:38:38 pm
Which now?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 21, 2012, 12:21:23 am
I have received an astonishingly lovely set of Secret Santa gifts from the sideshow, seriously awesome.

Pictures of the unwrapping will follow once I can figure out how to get them off my girlfriend's phone.

Well thought-out, beautiful, just great stuff.

I have also finally sent out my Secret Santa gift. It is not as well thought out but it is something quite awesome so I hope that makes up for it.

Three weeks late, yes, but... Secret Santa's had a hard coupla months.

Secret Santa's going to slowly come out of exile here. Secret Santa was avoiding this place because Secret Santa was ashamed he hadn't done his job yet.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 02:21:45 am
I am relieved.  I had nightmares about a custom agent showing up at my door and reaming me out for ripping off my countrymen.  For some reason I hadn't considered what I was doing was piracy (rather than sharing some artists I like with a friend) until after the damn thing was already in the mail.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 04:47:07 am
What if they read this messageboard?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2012, 02:22:30 pm
I am now VERY intrigued to see the pictures of the unboxing.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 05:58:57 pm
Interestingly, one item I left out of the package was a Kinder Egg (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/border-guards-crack-kinder-egg-case/article1865884/).  I was shocked to learn these aren't available in the US, as every kid I know grew up eating them and collecting and building the toys.  I decided against it specifically because I didn't want the gift to be seized at the boarder.  WTF America?  Your kids can't discern between milk chocolate and large plastic container?  You're missing out - the chocolate is delicious and sometimes the toy is  incredibly offensive (http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Living/Technologies/2007-12-13/article-1284297/Aboriginal-leader-receives-assurance-toy-he-calls-racist-will-be-discontinued/1)! Oh well, we'll keep our Kinder Eggs and you can keep Celine Dion, okay?  I think that's a fare trade.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 21, 2012, 06:20:40 pm
I am actually in love with Kinder Eggs.

When I went to Europe in high school I fell in love with them and when family goes to Europe (my grandmother is close with some of her cousins in Slovenia and travels there once a year, my mother would use her friendship with our old German exchange student to see the continent once every two or three years) my only request is to bring some back for me. Also, when I lived in Los Angeles, you could find Kinder Eggs occasionally in shady grocery stores that sold lots of possibly-not-legal candies from Mexico.

I eat the candies and collect the little toys and if they need to be built, my girlfriend loves building little kits.

I also love ketchup chips! While they are very rare in America, you can occasionally find them in the resort areas of  New England and Long Island (maybe there's other places, that's the only place I've found them) and I tried them years ago at my girlfriend's father's summer place on Long Island Sound and... have always associated them with her dad and that little cabin.

I will talk more extensively when I can figure out how to pull the little men out of Adrian's phone and make them put their paintings into my computer.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2012, 06:52:21 pm
Oh, ketchup chips. Makes me nostalgic for Canada and at the same time reminds me that not everything is better there.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 07:36:57 pm
That discussion on the toy post is a train wreck.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 09:27:13 pm
Yeah, being aboriginal I mostly don't even bother reading the comments on any articles about people of my ancestry.  Like I posted elsewhere, because the first baby of the new year in my province was aboriginal, a cute, simple news story about the first baby of the year was followed by some of the most hateful comments out there.  It's an especially challenging thing for me being of the cultural group the highest amount of racism is directed toward, but looking passably non-aboriginal.  As one racist person once put it when I pointed out that I am aboriginal after he had said something racist "oh, yeah, you look like you have a little "something" in you, but I wasn't sure what."  His intonation read as "I figured you were polluted with something." Retch. 

It's enough to drive me into a spiral of rage and depression if I let it, but I just prefer to put my effort into building a community of good people in the world and leaving the judgement and wasted energy to the douches who spew it.  There are small dark corners everywhere in the world and wide open spaces full of the good stuff.  Which is why I enjoy coming here with you good people.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2012, 04:38:19 am
In that deal the actual dude from the article made a nice long well-reasoned post and he got hammered. I thought people in Canada weren't awful?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2012, 11:15:07 am
So....
I come down from my placement to check up on my Dad's place this weekend when I discover a mysterious package waiting for me. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741365701/)

Of course where I come from we know how to deal with this sort of thing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741373805/).

Almost defeated by layer after layer of acid-fuelled wrapping (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741378767/) I persevere to discover...

A collection of totally sweet old comic books (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741383259/), including a reprint of X-Men number 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741392491/).

Just awesome work Paul, thanks so much. Apart from anything else it turned an evening where I was basically sitting around my Dad's house in the burbs with nothing to do into a night of Action, Mystery, Adventure!

Till next Christmas True Believers!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 22, 2012, 12:36:28 pm
So....
I come down from my placement to check up on my Dad's place this weekend when I discover a mysterious package waiting for me. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741365701/)

Of course where I come from we know how to deal with this sort of thing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741373805/).

Almost defeated by layer after layer of acid-fuelled wrapping (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741378767/) I persevere to discover...

A collection of totally sweet old comic books (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741383259/), including a reprint of X-Men number 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56917732@N04/6741392491/).

Just awesome work Paul, thanks so much. Apart from anything else it turned an evening where I was basically sitting around my Dad's house in the burbs with nothing to do into a night of Action, Mystery, Adventure!

Till next Christmas True Believers!


you lucky jerk!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2012, 02:03:12 pm
That is extremely cool wrapping paper.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2012, 03:39:43 pm
Another winning performance from Paul - dude knows how to deliver.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2012, 06:06:38 pm
I was gonna throw some old Archie Comics in there too, but I couldn't find the box they are in.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on January 24, 2012, 06:39:49 pm
My package arrived while I was on my cruise and my mail was being held. I had a chance to look at it briefly before going off to my hernia surgery so no time for pictures (I'm recovering at my girlfriend's house). By I got a boomerang with Great Moments in Achewood on it (including the super friends) and a book.

Now I feel extra terrible that I can't even figure out what to buy my person. I was hoping to find something fun in the Caribbean but it was all cheap "we be jammin'" crap down there.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 25, 2012, 03:03:21 am
You haven't even purchased your gift yet? You fuck!

Was that too much? I can never tell.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2012, 04:48:29 am
Just lad it got there, was starting to have concerns.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 25, 2012, 04:07:59 pm
LFM, you magnificent sonofabitch!  unboxing pics are forthcoming.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 25, 2012, 07:41:17 pm
You like? Awesome!

Like I say, I apologize that I didn't go the "personalized" route this year so much as the "coolest thing I could think of that wasn't that expensive" route but... time constraints left a dude with the second path this year.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 05, 2012, 09:12:20 pm
I am making chili today, because that is what we eat for the Super Bowl. I am using the fancy-ass heirloom beans Nabu sent me. w00t
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2012, 09:33:42 pm
LFM, you magnificent sonofabitch!  unboxing pics are forthcoming.

Oh yeah?
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 06, 2012, 06:08:01 pm
I am making chili today, because that is what we eat for the Super Bowl. I am using the fancy-ass heirloom beans Nabu sent me. w00t

Nice! I hope it worked out.

We had tamales that the nice lady sells from a cart. They were spectacular, and I will be having several more today.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2012, 02:06:06 am
Dear my person,

You've probably figured out who you are by now. I had an awesome idea, it fell through. Then I looked around for something good enough but had no ideas. But it appears my original idea has un-fallen through. So I'm working on it.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2012, 06:48:28 am
It's the thought that counts.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jay-ell on February 07, 2012, 01:14:47 pm
This is why rule #2 exists. Do what you can, dude.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 07, 2012, 04:46:23 pm
Now I'm worried that the chili didn't work out.

 :-X
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2012, 06:59:42 pm
Oh, the chili totally worked out. The key is to have really good chili powder. (http://www.penderys.com/chile-blends.html)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 07, 2012, 10:11:02 pm
Oh, the chili totally worked out. The key is to have really good chili powder. (http://www.penderys.com/chile-blends.html)

Oh my word yes. Thank you, sir.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 09, 2012, 05:57:54 pm
Carlos: "So what are we doing for dinner tonight? You want leftover chili?"
Mrs. del Vaca, with a pained expression on her face:  "I can't eat any more beans."

I 'bout fell over laughing.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2012, 11:32:04 pm
Sometimes you just gotta know your limitations.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2012, 12:26:44 am
I now have pictures of my gifts! Here they are!

(http://www.cortjstr.com/images/2012SecSanta0.jpg)
(http://www.cortjstr.com/images/2012SecSanta1.jpg)
(http://www.cortjstr.com/images/2012SecSanta2.jpg)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2012, 02:28:36 am
I quite like the customized Achewood boomerang, but I can't see what the writing says.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: lprkn on February 10, 2012, 02:35:28 am
"Never actually throw this, as it will not really come back. Boomerangs are fake ideas."
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Choop on February 10, 2012, 06:54:40 am
"Christmas Punch"
"The Super Friends!!"
"This is hell or culturally questionable"

(protip: right click, open image in new tab)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on February 10, 2012, 11:25:03 am
'Hell of culturally questionable'
Turns out I can't write super well with a paintbrush, which is why the one on the back was trying to be illegal ghost bikes and failed. It was kind of like this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05192004)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2012, 02:19:15 pm
My girlfriend said "he needs to get a better marker, this is should be clearer... [flips package over, sees black paint on brush] Wait, he did this with a brush? OK, that's pretty impressive then."
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Doc on February 10, 2012, 10:39:18 pm
Oh.. Yeah. That would have been much easier.
Damnit
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 11, 2012, 06:58:53 am
Oh.. Yeah. That would have been much easier.
Damnit

This year Doc is the winner of the "who does Nabu want to get for secret Santa next year" award.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2012, 01:53:52 pm
That is so awesome.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: side_show on February 12, 2012, 12:22:15 am
Now I'm regretting not taking pictures of what I sent LFM.  Hopefully most of what I sent has been consumed by now.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 12, 2012, 02:42:47 am
The photos are in one of my girlfriend's cameras somewhere but she is disorganized as hell, now that she has started her second masters' and... I'm trying to be patient about little things like that.

The consumables were delicious!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2012, 04:33:27 pm
My thing is out for delivery! Yay! I was determined to be less than 60 days late.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2012, 09:44:18 pm
My gift arrived this morning.  It was definitely worth the wait.  Unfortunately, y'all will have to wait for unpacking/presentation photos because I am too busy to give that the attention it warrants at this moment.  Just wanted to let Cort know that it fuck*ng rules!!!!!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2012, 09:46:22 pm
Woot!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 06:06:08 am
Within the book that the Mayor got me is a picture of the local Lego user's group. That was pretty cool - I know some of those guys.
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 06:31:25 am
Woot!

Can'd!
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: jaydub on August 29, 2012, 04:18:07 pm
It occurs to me that I've been remiss on sharing Pat's gift to me.
When they started arriving I had pretty much forgotten about the deal - so it was really mysterious until I remembered.  Anyway, there is a book on discovering creative thought, and an inspirational poster so far.
(http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8722/lprkn.jpg)

Very much appreciated, by the way!
(I don't know why ImageShack is insisting on rotating the image, sorry)
Title: Re: Who wants to give and possibly receive holiday gifts?
Post by: lprkn on August 30, 2012, 07:30:51 pm
That is nice to see that they are following through. I had kind of forgotten about it, as well.