The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on March 22, 2012, 05:23:31 pm

Title: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Asherdan on March 22, 2012, 05:23:31 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 05:49:12 pm
Sometimes I really fuck*ng like it here.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 06:02:18 pm
That's all well and good, but when we were at Great Wolf I won 250 tickets in a single go from the arcade version of Wheel of Fortune. That felt pretty damned awesome.

The kids each got to pick out a small, lame toy, but seeing that many tickets come out of the machine at once felt a little bit like being in Vegas.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jaydub on March 22, 2012, 06:07:37 pm
but seeing that many tickets come out of the machine at once felt a little bit like being in Vegas.
You mean your head ached as though from a poorly rested hangover, your clothes smelled of stale cigarette smoke and your stomach churned from over-salted food?
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 06:43:18 pm
seeing that many tickets come out of the machine at once felt a little bit like being in Vegas.

Or that you were pleading with the pawn broker to just give you ten more dollars for your engagement diamond so you could get enough money to but a plane ticket out of town.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 06:45:05 pm
We may as well go ahead and make this thread about how I've never been to Vegas except in video games. We can just do that now.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 07:00:56 pm
I've never been to me (http://youtu.be/Sn7d7gZj_qc).
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 07:25:57 pm
I've never been to Spain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKSrHMqQTEI).
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: smick on March 22, 2012, 08:01:09 pm
I live in a casino (Reno, NV) for a week out of every month.   The casino scene gets old.   The same geriatric people smoking endless cigarettes while pushing a button on a blinky blinky machine.

It's OK Jayell.   You're not missing anything.   If you DO decide to go to Vegas... plan 3 days.   By day three, I've noticed most folks have seen all they want and are ready to take off.

(Also, I did a comedy set in a Reno bar last night.   They smoke inside.   It felt like I was in an episode of Mad Men.    Not entirely because of the smoking, but also because it was a little racism, and no lady comics.)
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 22, 2012, 08:24:12 pm
I agree with Ash, arcades are bullshit anymore. I miss old-school games at Aladdin's Castle at the mall. Good times.

Also, I love the living shit out of Las Vegas, and I wish I could go there more often. I think 4 days is a good length of trip, but I'm insane like that; smick is probably right that for most people or first-timers, a three-day weekend is quite enough.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 22, 2012, 08:27:59 pm
Going too far off the Strip in Vegas, though, is a great way to get sad.

Bubble pop, abandoned city.

Except for the Pinball Hall of Fame. Just spend a week there.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2012, 08:55:15 pm
Except for the Pinball Hall of Fame. Just spend a week there.

Here here.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 09:02:17 pm
I think hear hear?


I hate Vegas like poison.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 22, 2012, 09:22:30 pm
im not into: gambling, whores, being around cigarette smoke

vegas isnt for me.

i guess most of the entire earth is not for me.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: smick on March 22, 2012, 09:23:20 pm
My grandparents lived in Vegas.   So for most of my life, it was a quiet, in bed by 10 kinda city for me.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 09:39:09 pm
I agree with Ash, arcades are bullshit anymore. I miss old-school games at Aladdin's Castle at the mall. Good times.

I don't even know if we *have* an arcade around here any more, unless you count Chuck E Cheese and his ilk.

Which I don't.

I guess there is one attached to the Putt Putt course? But I haven't been there in years. Because I hate miniature golf, and I have an XBox.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 10:11:19 pm
GKA, don't feel bad if I take a couple of cans away from you. It's the fourteen-year-old snickering pothead in me.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 22, 2012, 11:54:30 pm
My grandparents lived in Vegas.   So for most of my life, it was a quiet, in bed by 10 kinda city for me.

well, i guess im referring to "vegas" and not vegas, the place where famblies live and work and try not to melt in the fuck*ng desert.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2012, 03:38:46 am
And GKA is good to go on the cans.

Holy Diver! You've been down too long in the midnight sea! Oh what's becoming of me?
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 23, 2012, 01:49:47 pm
im not into: gambling, whores, being around cigarette smoke

Most of the casinos are non-smoking anymore. And there aren't that many whores just walking around (I think in all my trips to Vegas I have been approached by a woman I thought was possibly a lady of the night exactly once). Brothels are legal in the rest of the state, but not in Vegas, so if you want that kind of thing you have to go out of town. And of course you have the "flippers" who hand out cards and brochures for "escort and entertainment" services at various places on the strip, and if you called up one of those you could probably get whatever you wanted for the right price. But it's easy enough to ignore.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 23, 2012, 02:16:50 pm
did i ask any of you to try and expand my horizons?  damn it...

(seriously, though.  i guess there are some good shows there, as well?  [[shrug]] i wouldnt probably go there of my own accord, but if i won a trip, i could probably find some rad shit to do.)
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2012, 02:55:12 pm
I mentioned somewhere that last time I went it was to see Richard Cheese on New Years Eve, and that was totally solid. That same trip we saw Nashville Pussy and Reverend Horton Heat (another guy who seems to really fit with the Vegas experience). Supposed to see Hank III, but he nodded off or some shit, so special guest Lemmy, playing with the Rev.

I have posted that here like six times, but that's how much I enjoyed it.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 23, 2012, 04:01:22 pm
tricky dick cheese, the rev, and hank III are all rad folks that i would love to see.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2012, 04:34:00 pm
What about Lemmy?

Seriously, Hank III was dope-sick or something. I was a little bummed, but I think in the end I was happier to see Lemmy.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 23, 2012, 05:33:33 pm
Even if you don't like gambling, I still say everyone should experience Vegas at least once. Just for the garishness of it all.  GKA, how about big buffet meals? 'zat grab you?
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2012, 06:35:43 pm
Or if you want, rent a 360 Spider (http://www.dreamcarrentals.com/cars-ferrari360.php), fuck and yes.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2012, 08:20:57 pm
I really wish I had done that. I decided, like a chump, that it was too expensive. I look forward to having a stroke in my old age and regretting that decision when it is too late.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 24, 2012, 06:44:22 pm
I lost $35 in quarters, I know that.

Though I did set a record on this http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3281 (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3281) and that's as good as gold.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Choop on March 24, 2012, 07:48:31 pm
$20 bucks lasted me four hours plus the missus for two. i think i got about an hour on funhouse (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=966) from one quarter. i used to play it in college, and it was just as good as i'd recalled.

i ain't set no records though so props to ya
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2012, 08:59:04 pm
I play pinball marathon once a year at the Annual arcade Fest.  It cost $20 and I play for about 8 hours straight.  I didn't go last year because it conflicted with World Artcar Day.  I'm jonseing for some pinball.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2012, 10:00:33 pm
We're redoing the other half of our basement (opposite the bandroom/bar) and I think I'mma pull the trigger on a pinball machine.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2012, 12:40:16 am
Come to the Arcade Expo (http://www.arcadecenter.com/) with me.  You can pick up some good deals at the show.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2012, 02:01:32 am
Come to the Arcade Expo (http://www.arcadecenter.com/) with me.  You can pick up some good deals at the show.

That crazy car of yours is a time machine?
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2012, 09:27:39 am
That crazy car of yours is a time machine?

That would be cool, but no.  They obviously haven't put up any info about this years event.  It's still a few months off yet.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: miles on March 25, 2012, 04:31:12 pm
And there aren't that many whores just walking around (I think in all my trips to Vegas I have been approached by a woman I thought was possibly a lady of the night exactly once).

I found myself alone in the Stratosphere at like three in the morning, and this somewhat attractive black woman approached me. She needed help with her shoe or something, and after some chitchat she said "$150 and you can fuck me anyway you like." I was at a loss for words and eventually got out that I had a girlfriend (I did at the time), and then she asked me to buy her a drink. I got out of there because I knew I was too weak not to give in after a couple more minutes. I'm convinced I was the target of an undercover operation.

And of course you have the "flippers" who hand out cards and brochures for "escort and entertainment" services at various places on the strip, and if you called up one of those you could probably get whatever you wanted for the right price. But it's easy enough to ignore.

I'm pretty good at ignoring those guys, but one time as I was walking past and it sounded like one of them kept saying "donkey show? donkey show?" I stopped, turned around and he said it again, clearly. Damn I'm glad my friends were there to pull me away. Way too curious.

Sorry if I killed the idea of Vegas for you again, GKA.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 25, 2012, 04:43:28 pm
[[shrug]] im way too poor to enjoy any of that.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2012, 07:23:58 pm
My first time in Vegas the card guys just blew me away. We came to the strip from a couple blocks away, and by the time we got near we were wading through basically porno trading cards. I had never seen anything like it.

Ah, innocent youth.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2012, 12:37:57 am
We totally collected over 100 of those in the 2 hours we were in vegas and then made a little theatre out of the crack in the mold in the dashboard where the air bag is.  It made Arizona better.

Actually Arizona is fuck*ng beautiful, just the people there blow (and by blow I mean are racist scum bags) (and by blow I also mean they are kinda selgiraffe dicks for living in the desert and pretending that they don't- water is what I am talking about here.)

One time I went on a crazy road trip through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona and New Mexico.  Vegas was my least favorite place we stopped, and we also stopped at a big green plaster dinosaur by a gas station in the middle of nowhere in Western Colorado or Utah.  So yeah.  Also, I was on a shit ton of speed, which is probably how you should see Vegas.  Unfortunately, though, I had been up for at least 2 days, so I needed that shit and it wasn't as euphoric as it otherwise could have been.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2012, 01:19:29 am
That dinosaur (or one very like it) shows up in Fallout New Vegas.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 26, 2012, 01:33:22 pm
I think everyone collects as many escort cards/brochures as they can on their first trip to Vegas. Then you're over it.

The trip I made with the whole family, after the kids were in bed the missus would go out for a while, then she'd come back and I'd go out to play cards or some such. So the one night I'm walking north from the Flamingo (I think I had decided to check out the Wynn) and a woman walking alone the other way said "Hey, how you doing?" She was very blonde, pretty but heavily made up, some kind of fur stole, short skirt, heels. I said "Hey" and kept walking. Then I thought "I believe that was some sort of prostitute. Saw a guy out walking alone and thought she'd say hello."
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: smick on March 26, 2012, 05:18:49 pm
*fliiiick* *ticka* *ticka* *ticka* "Free Coupons!  Free Coupons!"  *fliiiiick* *ticka* *ticka* "No porn! Free Coupons!"
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 26, 2012, 08:20:28 pm
That dinosaur (or one very like it) shows up in Fallout New Vegas.

Yeah, actually, 99% of what I know about Vegas comes from this game. It's...a bit sad, really.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2012, 09:49:14 pm
My experience, after playing that game and going to Vegas maybe four times: the game was better.
Title: Re: Some shit about arcades or some such
Post by: jay-ell on March 27, 2012, 01:38:45 am
You just made my day, Nabu.

I loaned Fallout 3 to a guy yesterday because he enjoys shooters and he grew up in DC. I hope he likes it; I would hate to have to stop being his friend.