The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 17, 2012, 01:26:48 am

Title: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Asherdan on May 17, 2012, 01:26:48 am
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: jay-ell on May 17, 2012, 01:58:28 am
Rum is good. You should drink rum and be proud. It's the most versatile of the hard liquors, featuring in manly highball drinks and girly froufrou umbrella concoctions equally.

Own it, dude.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 17, 2012, 02:04:37 am
As long as it ain't gin, I'm for it.

If I wanted to drink a burning Christmas tree, I'd figure out how to do that directly.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2012, 03:13:48 am
I convince myself I like scotch, but whenever I start drinking it I hate it. I am more into Rye Whiskey lately.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 17, 2012, 05:35:38 am
Man, I didn't even know rye was a thing until I quit drinking.  That is a regret, I feel like I would have loved it.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: wombat on May 17, 2012, 12:08:41 pm
I know this drink is basically a cliche these days, but nothing beats a mojito with a shit-ton of mint in it. How often do you get to drink your drunk and eat your greens all in one?
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 17, 2012, 01:39:31 pm
We bought a bunch of rum when we went to the Caribbean a couple years ago. We had a nice piña colada kick for a while after coming home, but we're since over that and now I don't use it so much.

I do like a nice caipirinha in the summer time, but that's made with cachaça, Brazilian sugar cane liquor.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 17, 2012, 07:50:56 pm
This is going to come off poorly, but I hate mojitos.

I'm good with all hard liquor and red wine. Ash, maybe try Manhattans? If done right, they are not too damn sweet but pretty good, and they do kinda make you feel all grown up without ruining the fun.

Otherwise, vodka and pedialyte is my go to (I miss Zart).
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 17, 2012, 10:33:18 pm
no one here likes purple drank?  what a disappointment.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 17, 2012, 10:39:14 pm
no one here likes purple drank?  what a disappointment.

I used to be a pretty big fan.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 18, 2012, 12:46:34 am
Sailor Jerry spiced rum is high octane and dangerously delicious. Most rum is only good for mixing IMHO.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: miles on May 18, 2012, 12:57:00 am
I like gin. And lately bourbon. I also like red wine. But beer is always my go-to.

no one here likes purple drank?  what a disappointment.

You know, I've never had it.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 01:48:12 am
While we're discussing it (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=14#comic).
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 18, 2012, 05:29:31 am
I have had purple drank at least twice since I had a drink.  I dig that stuff, though me and opiates are on a break right now.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 18, 2012, 05:45:49 am
mojitos are better when absinthe subs in for the rum, I've found.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: side_show on May 18, 2012, 03:26:50 pm
I am not much of a fan of rum.  I'm not sure why, but I consider it "kid's stuff," especially that Sailor Jerry's stuff, which tastes like candy to me.  I think it's because of my early associations with Malibu rum, which I drank a lot of in my early days.  Any alcohol that (to my mind) tastes like candy is assigned into the "silly piffle" category of my mind.  This is not to say I won't drink something that tastes like candy, but that in my mind I dismiss it as silly and maybe embarrassing (to me), and definitely not "serious" drinking.  I have interesting, oddly rigid ideas about alcohol and gender and adulthood.  I think this KITH skit really formed my ideas about liquor consumption. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4TGGtPzBU&feature=related)  Like I consider a Tom Collins a fine, upstanding and suitably masculine to be respectable, wine to be feminine, but also mature and respectable (if made properly, rather than just gin and 7-up). Anything cut with pop is kid stuff to me.  There's something totally adult about drinking scotch in my mind, though I've never once tried it myself, because there's something mature about drinking straight alcohol in my mind because of that skit.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: CortJstr on May 18, 2012, 03:37:06 pm
I can't stand rum. Even the flavored ones and slurpee-style drinks taste way the hell too much like rum. But kind of like Smells I also picked up somewhere that all acceptable man-drinks have 2 or fewer words in their names (not counting 'n' as a word). Martini, scotch neat, gin 'n' tonic, etc. Of course the only one I can tolerate is vodka tonic, but I actually hate the taste of tonic, just less so than the alternatives. And my parents only buy diet tonic which ads that terrible metallic aftertaste.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 18, 2012, 04:15:17 pm
My rum of choice is Demerara rum, from Guyana. El Dorado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Rum) is the brand that is generally available in North America.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 04:31:25 pm
I do love gin.

Did I mention ordering a GnT in an airport bar and being brought a double gin rocks? Really? How often is a gin on the rocks ordered?
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Choop on May 18, 2012, 04:34:57 pm
gin or bourbon for me. vodka is boring and bland to my tongue, though some of the nicer vodkas, neat, can be quite tasty -- but vodka's almost always mixed, innit? rum is usually sweet, and i have just about zero sweet tooth, so i don't much cotton to it.

a manhattan is about as sweet as i go for, and a good one isn't very sweet. a martini is made with gin, fuck the heathens who turned ordering a martini into bartender confusion.

rocks glass + rocks + two shots of gin + splash of grenadine + ginger ale to cover = what i call the Shirley Bassey, because it looks like a Shirley Temple but will fuck you up in an evening.

sometimes i get the feeling that the only gin people actually know about is cheap, cheap stuff. with gin probably more than any other liquor, you get what you pay for, and sorry for the cliche.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2012, 04:40:22 pm
I was really into G&T's a few years ago, and now I don't like them at all. I'm not sure why. That might have been my drunkest year.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 05:04:02 pm
I'm lots of times doing gin with a splash of ginger ale. I like the grenadine splash, too - I will check that out.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 18, 2012, 06:50:14 pm
Really? How often is a gin on the rocks ordered?

I am mystified by people who order gin martinis and then insist there be as little vermouth as possible in them. I have literally heard of bartenders swirling vermouth around in the glass, then dumping it out, and adding the gin. JUST ORDER GIN, you doofus.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: jay-ell on May 18, 2012, 08:10:02 pm
There is a rumor that when Winston Churchill made a martini, when it came time to add the vermouth, he just looked at the bottle.

Others hold the glass of gin to their mouths and whisper the word "vermouth" over the contents.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'm with you, Carlos. Just order gin.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Choop on May 18, 2012, 08:25:49 pm
I have literally heard of bartenders swirling vermouth around in the glass, then dumping it out, and adding the gin.
add an olive, and this is exactly how you make a martini. also, you stir it (james bond is wrong), for two reasons: shaking makes the drink cloudy, and negatively effects the delicate flavor balance found in any good gin.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: AugustWest on May 18, 2012, 10:08:53 pm
Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'm with you, Carlos. Just order gin.

Me too.  Is there some stigma about just ordering straight gin?  Why order a martini that isn't a martini?  It's like ordering a cheeseburger, hold the cheese.  They have a name for that dish -- it's a hamburger.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: jaydub on May 18, 2012, 11:42:27 pm
add an olive, and this is exactly how you make a martini. also, you stir it (james bond is wrong), for two reasons: shaking makes the drink cloudy, and negatively effects the delicate flavor balance found in any good gin.
Wasn't Bond's a vodka martini though?
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 19, 2012, 12:34:23 am
Wasn't Bond's a vodka martini though?

Not strictly. He's the origin of the Vesper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesper_(cocktail)), after all.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: miles on May 19, 2012, 05:00:16 am
Me too.  Is there some stigma about just ordering straight gin?

I ordered straight gin once. In Chicago. The bartender asked "...and what?" When I said just gin she acted like I had just whipped my cock out. That is, gave me a look equal parts pity and disgust.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Choop on May 19, 2012, 06:02:04 am
the vesper is a fine cocktail, one i order periodically. in fact, i just had one the other day on a date with the missus.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: side_show on May 19, 2012, 10:23:07 pm
Part of an actual local headline"Queer Beer for second year" (http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120519/wpg_queer_beer_120519/20120519?hub=WinnipegHome&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) pleases me.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2012, 10:59:11 pm
That's not far off from Alton's martini. He puts the vermouth in the shaker with the ice, shakes, and dumps out the liquid keeping only the vermouth that "sticks to the ice" which sounds crazy to me. He also tells the Churchill story in that episode.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2012, 11:11:19 pm
This is the way I make martinis.  With gin only, and with a twist of lemon peel. Olives on request.

That's not far off from Alton's martini. He puts the vermouth in the shaker with the ice, shakes, and dumps out the liquid keeping only the vermouth that "sticks to the ice" which sounds crazy to me. He also tells the Churchill story in that episode.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 24, 2012, 11:11:40 pm
This is the way I make martinis.  With gin only, and with a twist of lemon peel. Olives on request.

In bar tending school we called that the In-and-Out martini. I called it a shot and a half of gin.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Doc on July 25, 2012, 12:47:13 pm
Tonight I whipped up a hot buttered rum.
Oh Yes.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: Doc on July 27, 2012, 01:26:50 pm
I suggest in the interests of hemispherical symmetry you drink something with coconut in it and pretend you're Hemmingway. Then in November we'll swap.
Title: Re: Rum! Fuck!
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2012, 04:35:38 am
this keg of beer tastes nasty. the good news is, rye whiskey still tastes great. sometimes parties are overwhelming and your lady leaves the party early, so you need to check in on your internet dudes.