The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on June 27, 2012, 08:37:37 pm
-
taking a better vacation than yours and getting paid for it
http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/Bohemians-in-Benelux-Onstad (http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/Bohemians-in-Benelux-Onstad)
-
To call his spring menu's compositions anything less than a vernal fantasy tableaux would be factually irresponsible.
Wut.
Call something "hip" a few more times Onstad. Talk some more about your new girlfriend.
-
If he'd read your book yet he'd know all about those fuck*ng ducks.
No excuse if he hasn't read it, I sent him a copy at the newspaper.
-
well, you were certainly training them to rely on handouts and not bother to attempt to fend for themselves
-
I stopped reading at No. 5 because I was so sick of hearing about his new fuck
-
I stopped reading at No. 5 because I was so sick of hearing about his new fuck
This is why there is no Achewood. Art is born of suffering.
-
Art is born of suffering.
Art is born of wanting to do the damn thing.
-
Maybe if we could agree on what art was born of, we could send him some?
-
Maybe if we could agree on what art was born of, we could send him some?
> implying onstad hasn't burnt out permanently
> implying sending him some will bring him back to his former level
> implying he isn't a ditherer (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07292005) and a dilletante
> implying there aren't newer/better artists out there
> 2012
> i shiggy diggy
(http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/498/1300044776986.jpg)
-
How about the comments at the bottom of the article:
by RAY_SMUCKLES on 2012-06-28
A lovely read about food. Unfortunately tainted because the writer stole money from hundreds, if not thousands, of readers of his comic with an undelivered cook-book. Have you no shame, Onstad?
by BUGMENOT2 on 2012-06-30
Easily thousands, I'd say. Thousands, if not millions. He used those millions of undelivered cookbooks as bricks and built himself a mighty fort, in the very topmost tower of which he sits for hours, churlishly not drawing comics, chuckling cynically over his empire of swindle.
Really? Millions?
-
Maybe someone should start a class action lawsuit.
-
Have you no decency, Mr Onstad. At long last, have you no decency?
-
Have you no decency, Mr Onstad. At long last, have you no decency?
if he had decency would we even be here?
-
I dreamed last night that I was chatting with Onstad, oddly. I had almost forgotten the dream 'til i saw this thread, but now it's clear as day. We were talking about the business, and I told him specifically what we had discussed here, and I said, "I think most of the fans are cool with you being done with the comic, but you really should have sent out those cookbooks you sold."
He looked away and muttered, "Yeah, I know. I will. I will."
-
Onstad's internet sock puppet is called BugMeNot2?
This is good information to have.
-
I'm sure it wasn't a huge amount of money (maybe five grand), but he probably wasn't managing his money very well and I bet he blew through it pretty quickly. Sarcastically denigrating people who are complaining that they were defrauded out of money that they paid, thinking they were going to get a book in exchange, is fuck*ng ridiculous. There are no books to build a sarcasm-fort to defend yourself with, Chris. The books were never printed and you just took the money instead of paying the printer.
-
Onstad's internet sock puppet is called BugMeNot2?
This is good information to have.
I imagine that is a login from bugmenot.com and thus not owned by any one person. You could probably look up the password and make contradictory posts. But I agree that said post was probably from Onstrad.
-
I actually find the cookbook situation kind of fascinating right now. I'm sure he never released it because he kept fiddling with it and never thought it was good enough, and then the whole rest of his life fell apart, and now that he's sort of got his act back together, he's trying to make a career as a serious food writer, so he can't release a cookbook written by cartoon cats, you know? It would be embarassing.
I wonder if he will also never post the original cookbook in the new store. I think it might be time for me to scan it.
-
I actually find the cookbook situation kind of fascinating right now. I'm sure he never released it because he kept fiddling with it and never thought it was good enough, and then the whole rest of his life fell apart, and now that he's sort of got his act back together, he's trying to make a career as a serious food writer, so he can't release a cookbook written by cartoon cats, you know? It would be embarassing.
I wonder if he will also never post the original cookbook in the new store. I think it might be time for me to scan it.
Any of those scenarios may be true, but there's nothing preventing him from issuing refunds to the people who did pay upfront for a book that hadn't even been finished or printed yet.
-
On the other hand, we live in a country where fraud is illegal. Plus he was kind of a dick to a bunch of strangers.
-
On the other hand, we live in a country where fraud is illegal. Plus he was king of a dick to a bunch of strangers.
Can'd. He should have advertised truthfully and set out a PayPal "Donate" button instead, if that was how the money was being used. Maybe he didn't get enough "pre-orders" to pay the printer upfront. Maybe he pissed away all the money instead of paying the printer. Maybe he was disappointed with the finished product, or dithered around and never got a finished product. The customers should have been refunded if he was running a legit business. Or maybe Liz had already split by that point, and he couldn't figure out how to do it.
-
Or maybe Liz had already split by that point, and he couldn't figure out how to do it.
I kind of want that to be the explanation because... like... of the reasonable explanations, that is the only one where we might feel a need to cut a dude some slack on it.
-
I kind of want that to be the explanation because... like... of the reasonable explanations, that is the only one where we might feel a need to cut a dude some slack on it.
Yes, it's not very much money, and I am only personally out less than $20, but it's still not right. He produced one of my favorite things ever for 10 years. I bought every book he released, at least a dozen shirts, posters, stickers, all kinds of shit. I am sure that most of his fans didn't purchase much, if anything, to cover his bandwidth costs or his cost of living in San Carlos and then the move to Portland. I admire him for his success in a field where very very few artists are able to live off their webcomics work. He maintained his creative output for a long time, and I don't fault him for wanting to do something else now. However, dude doesn't exactly seem destitute or down-and-out to me. Maybe he feels that he can afford to cultivate a new fanbase now as a culinary writer, but I still think it's low to rip off a small group of loyal fans, even if it was less than five grand.
-
You know how there's always that conversation about how fans can get very entitled about how they 'deserve' or are owed a product, particularly in the case of webcomics?
This is almost a subversion where the artist expects fans to support him in the absence of art. 'Stad's business model has become an artistic statement.
-
You know how there's always that conversation about how fans can get very entitled about how they 'deserve' or are owed a product, particularly in the case of webcomics?
This is almost a subversion where the artist expects fans to support him in the absence of art. 'Stad's business model has become an artistic statement.
Or how customers feel like they are entitled or owed a product they paid for?
-
Remind me to call Ash if I ever need to borrow $20.
-
hey inev, if you need to borrow 20 bucks, ask ash.
you asked me to remind you.
-
$20? Screw that. I have a bridge I'd like to sell him.
-
why shouldn't he rip you just like that goddam pot dealer in 9th grade.
SLEEPYBEAR TEA!
-
(I might give you something, though)
20 buckshot?
-
Any of those scenarios may be true, but there's nothing preventing him from issuing refunds to the people who did pay upfront for a book that hadn't even been finished or printed yet.
Oh yeah, totally, assuming he even has any clue who he owes money to. But it's interesting to me, the particular hole he's dug for himself. Any one of a million other career directions wouldn't have posed this same problem.
I'm pretty sure there are more writing gigs than I know that I lost because people looking at my work found my humor writing, which is why this interests me I guess.
-
Re: Cookbook- Homeboy claims 'life problems'says the project is off the ground but offers full refunds.
-
Re: Cookbook- Homeboy claims 'life problems'says the project is off the ground but offers full refunds.
Well, I don't want to take money out of his kid's mouth, I just was kind of hoping for the cookbook.
Is he going to assume that everybody still lives at the same addresses as when they ordered in 2009?
-
Just checked Achewood for the first time since May.
It's been updated once.
Big deep sigh.
Hope you guys are all doing great.
Jim
-
Waddup people of the world.
The CookBook seems to be available in the HonorClub:
http://www.achewood.com/honorclub/ckbk1_honor_system_full.pdf
So, yeah. That's a thing.
-
I just saw that on twitter and almost fell off my chair. This must be a sign of the apocalypse.
-
Yoink.
We're now even for Serializer, Onstad.
-
He said the digital version had several pages not in the print version.
Wouldn't that be a smack in the balls if that was the second cookbook.
-
This ... isn't a very good cookbook. I mean the recipes.
-
The pasta with nuts is good and the chocolate chip cookies. Also the home fries.
-
I guess I should soften what I say. Nothing in there is bad. In fact, a lot of it seems downright tasty (although the concept of red wine at room temperature is, I'm sorry, wrong -- it really should be at about 65 degrees to start).
But none of it is *really* good -- for a foodie like Onstad, I'd expect stuff that's really awesome and yet simple.
And yes, I said foodie. Language evolves. Deal with it.
-
I got a chicken I'm going to do that brining thing with tomorrow.
If you've never brined a bird before I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
-
If you've never brined a bird before I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This, this, a thousand times this.
-
I've had brined pork but not bird, so I am looking forward to this even more now.
I did it once for a potluck dinner party and my friends went nuts for it. The bird was amazing as hell.
I think he wrote the cookbook for someone with the kitchen equipment of a 22-year old bachelor. It is just my speed. I don't have a lot of kitchen skills, per se.
-
Looking through the archives I came across pics of me and my nephew making Achewood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8021155947/in/photostream) Ribs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8021155713/in/photostream).
It's not in the cookbook. Does anyone know where it came from because I don't?
-
Looking through the archives I came across pics of me and my nephew making Achewood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8021155947/in/photostream) Ribs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8021155713/in/photostream).
It's not in the cookbook. Does anyone know where it came from because I don't?
Apparently you left us hanging on the subject back in the day too. (http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=208.0) I have no idea what you are referring to.
-
I don't know either. I have one recipe that was not in the cookbook, a recipe for wings that came with the hot sauce. But I don't know about ribs.
-
Well there's this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8022016033/in/photostream) which proves we were working from a recipe. There are several other images that show the front of the paper, but the print is frustratingly too small to read. The only word I can make out in the header is the word Achewood.
I searched through my archives (I never throw anything away) and couldn't find this document. I did however stumble across this unfinished edit of Todd I had begun work on and abandoned. So I finished. I think I was planning on starting a Todd Quote meme, not sure.
(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8022028952_1f201b469a.jpg)
-
Hey fuck the food. Is that cool ass kid still rocking good?
He's got problems (mostly of his own making) and he's a burden to his grandparents (the only folks who truly care about him imho), but he's 21 years old so it's kinda par for the course. But we still think he's basically a good kid and we have high hopes that he will turn his life around soon.
-
He's got problems (mostly of his own making) and he's a burden to his grandparents (the only folks who truly care about him imho), but he's 21 years old so it's kinda par for the course. But we still think he's basically a good kid and we have high hopes that he will turn his life around soon.
It can happen. My 21 year old has found some direction and self-confidence in the last few months and things are looking up for her, so we're happy about that.
-
I guess I should soften what I say. Nothing in there is bad. In fact, a lot of it seems downright tasty (although the concept of red wine at room temperature is, I'm sorry, wrong -- it really should be at about 65 degrees to start).
But none of it is *really* good -- for a foodie like Onstad, I'd expect stuff that's really awesome and yet simple.
And yes, I said foodie. Language evolves. Deal with it.
65 degrees is room temperature, where I come from.
Also the salmon on potato coins is amazing. The main limitation is that none of the recipes could require any kind of skill - Boiling water is basically the most complicated thing in there. He was focused on humor, and wanted the cooking to be accessible.
-
65 degrees is room temperature, where I come from.
You, sir, are good people.
-
Its 18 degrees where I come from.
-
Its 18 degrees where I come from.
Good one, Bill Nye.
-
Its 18 degrees where I come from.
<3
-
Weeping.
-
Weeping.
It's sad when PBF updates more often than Achewood.
-
The season finale for season 2 of Portlandia, "Brunch Village (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2176771/) involves waiting for a very long time to be seated in a diner that is very hot because it got a good write up in the paper. Made me think of Onstad. Maybe his food critic gig is taking off for him.
-
It's sad when PBF updates more often than Achewood.
I'd settle for updating more frequently than Peanuts.
Legend has it Shulz originally wanted to call the strip something else, and that the syndicate actually chose the name to publish under. I wonder what he wanted to call it.
-
From Pocket Tactics (an iPhone/iPad strategy games blog) -
"Last but not least, a new word puzzle game called Tumblewords. It’s a very moderately-paced word game, closer in spirit to the stately Letterpressthan the more frantic Puzzlejuice. Like Letterpress, the game features a number of different backgrounds and color schemes, but unlike Letterpress’s flat minimalism, Tumblewords’ art is supplied by notable webcomic artists: Liza Ferneyhough and KC Green at the moment, but a forthcoming DLC will add art from Achewood creator Chris Onstad. Remind me to tell you the story of waiting in line in Brooklyn to get Onstad’s signature on Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar."
http://pockettactics.com/2013/01/23/out-tonight-dungeon-lore-might-magic-and-more/ (http://pockettactics.com/2013/01/23/out-tonight-dungeon-lore-might-magic-and-more/)
-
I'd settle for updating more frequently than Peanuts.
Legend has it Shulz originally wanted to call the strip something else, and that the syndicate actually chose the name to publish under. I wonder what he wanted to call it.
I read in a trivia book once that it was originally called Li'l Folks or something to that effect
-
Wikipedia agrees and says:
Peanuts was a title Schulz always disliked. In a 1987 interview, Schulz said of the title Peanuts: "It's totally ridiculous, has no meaning, is simply confusing, and has no dignity—and I think my humor has dignity."
And "Lil Folks" was better? Sometimes it is good to have an editor.
-
At least "Li'l Folks" meant something. But that was the title of the single-panel strip he did in the 40s that was a sort of cro-magnon equivalent to Peanuts. He wanted to call Peanuts "Charlie Brown", or "Good Ol' Charlie Brown", which is why the Sunday strips, once he'd got enough clout, ran with that as a strapline.