Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics  (Read 20654 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:47 am »

Looking through the archives I came across pics of me and my nephew making Achewood Ribs.

It's not in the cookbook. Does anyone know where it came from because I don't?


Apparently you left us hanging on the subject back in the day too.  I have no idea what you are referring to.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:04 am »

I don't know either. I have one recipe that was not in the cookbook, a recipe for wings that came with the hot sauce. But I don't know about ribs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

Well there's this which proves we were working from a recipe. There are several other images that show the front of the paper, but the print is frustratingly too small to read. The only word I can make out in the header is the word Achewood.

I searched through my archives (I never throw anything away) and couldn't find this document.  I did however stumble across this unfinished edit of Todd I had begun work on and abandoned. So I finished. I think I was planning on starting a Todd Quote meme, not sure.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 03:27:21 am »

Hey fuck the food. Is that cool ass kid still rocking good?

He's got problems (mostly of his own making) and he's a burden to his grandparents (the only folks who truly care about him imho), but he's 21 years old so it's kinda par for the course. But we still think he's basically a good kid and we have high hopes that he will turn his life around soon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »

He's got problems (mostly of his own making) and he's a burden to his grandparents (the only folks who truly care about him imho), but he's 21 years old so it's kinda par for the course. But we still think he's basically a good kid and we have high hopes that he will turn his life around soon.

It can happen.  My 21 year old has found some direction and self-confidence in the last few months and things are looking up for her, so we're happy about that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 04:56:45 pm »

I guess I should soften what I say. Nothing in there is bad. In fact, a lot of it seems downright tasty (although the concept of red wine at room temperature is, I'm sorry, wrong -- it really should be at about 65 degrees to start).

But none of it is *really* good -- for a foodie like Onstad, I'd expect stuff that's really awesome and yet simple.

And yes, I said foodie. Language evolves. Deal with it.

65 degrees is room temperature, where I come from.

Also the salmon on potato coins is amazing. The main limitation is that none of the recipes could require any kind of skill - Boiling water is basically the most complicated thing in there. He was focused on humor, and wanted the cooking to be accessible.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »

65 degrees is room temperature, where I come from.


You, sir, are good people.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »

Its 18 degrees where I come from.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:05 pm »

Its 18 degrees where I come from.

Good one, Bill Nye.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »

Its 18 degrees where I come from.

<3
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AKKOLADE

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

Weeping.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:50 am »

Weeping.

It's sad when PBF updates more often than Achewood.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:45 am »

The season finale for season 2 of Portlandia, "Brunch Village involves waiting for a very long time to be seated in a diner that is very hot because it got a good write up in the paper. Made me think of Onstad. Maybe his food critic gig is taking off for him.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:37 am »

It's sad when PBF updates more often than Achewood.
I'd settle for updating more frequently than Peanuts.

Legend has it Shulz originally wanted to call the strip something else, and that the syndicate actually chose the name to publish under.  I wonder what he wanted to call it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »

From Pocket Tactics (an iPhone/iPad strategy games blog) -

"Last but not least, a new word puzzle game called Tumblewords. It’s a very moderately-paced word game, closer in spirit to the stately Letterpressthan the more frantic Puzzlejuice. Like Letterpress, the game features a number of different backgrounds and color schemes, but unlike Letterpress’s flat minimalism, Tumblewords’ art is supplied by notable webcomic artists: Liza Ferneyhough and KC Green at the moment, but a forthcoming DLC will add art from Achewood creator Chris Onstad. Remind me to tell you the story of waiting in line in Brooklyn to get Onstad’s signature on Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar."

http://pockettactics.com/2013/01/23/out-tonight-dungeon-lore-might-magic-and-more/
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up